RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Lonnie Chisenhall 1st ML at bat...... (Cleveland at Arizona)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Lonnie Chisenhall 1st ML at bat...... (Cleveland at Arizona)

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Drumroll please...............
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Lonnie Chisenhall 1st ML at bat...... (Cleveland at Ariz

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Should Sizemore really be playing CF over Michael Brantley? I gotta think that Michael Brantley covers more range at this point in his career, no? Besides, I would probably want Sizemore in LF just because he has to cover less range there, so it's less stressful on his knees. That's just me blabbering though.

And I see that Mitch Talbot is up to his usual tricks. I still haven't figured out what he has done to deserve this spot over Jeanmar Gomez.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

With all the playing time Marson could get if he started knocking the ball around.....Really pulling for him, he has another shot at ML pitching, hope he can rise up.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

This team is painful to watch.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

i am really happy for chisenhall. I hope he does very well and gives this team a lift. I have been hard on chisenhall and felt he was overrated based on his production but i hope he makes a dope out of me and becomes a perennial all-star.

that being said, it is going to be hard for chisenhall to have a big impact if guys like santana, sizemore, choo, and brantley continue to struggle.

Brantley's K with guys on 2nd and 3rd is inexcuseable. Teams like the giants, rays, and twins overcome injuries year after year and find ways to win. It is time for the indians to start doing so.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 pm

indians1 wrote:i am really happy for chisenhall. I hope he does very well and gives this team a lift. I have been hard on chisenhall and felt he was overrated based on his production but i hope he makes a dope out of me and becomes a perennial all-star.

that being said, it is going to be hard for chisenhall to have a big impact if guys like santana, sizemore, choo, and brantley continue to struggle.

Brantley's K with guys on 2nd and 3rd is inexcuseable. Teams like the giants, rays, and twins overcome injuries year after year and find ways to win. It is time for the indians to start doing so.

Living down in Florida, I can't say that I agree with your comment that the Rays win with injuries. I can't think of a single major injury they've had in the past 3 years. In the beginning of this season they were without Evan Longoria and they started off pretty terribly. Carl Crawford (while there) was pretty much the iron man there, and David Price, Upton, Shields, Zobrist, Garza (when there) all have had a pretty clean bill of health. Pena got knocked up some but the way he was swinging it wasn't really a loss. The only notable injury I can really think of is from last year their set-up man JP Howell and early this year Niemann. Not sure where you think that they overcome injuries. If anything, they're one of the luckiest teams in the league as far as injuries go.

Twins have won through some injuries, but right now they're in last place. Giants have only been winning for two years now and the only big injury they've ever had is Buster Posey this year, which they have done well so far to survive but the season is 162 games.

:pardon:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
indians1 wrote:i am really happy for chisenhall. I hope he does very well and gives this team a lift. I have been hard on chisenhall and felt he was overrated based on his production but i hope he makes a dope out of me and becomes a perennial all-star.

Living down in Florida, I can't say that I agree with your comment that the Rays win with injuries. I can't think of a single major injury they've had in the past 3 years. In the beginning of this season they were without Evan Longoria and they started off pretty terribly. Carl Crawford (while there) was pretty much the iron man there, and David Price, Upton, Shields, Zobrist, Garza (when there) all have had a pretty clean bill of health. Pena got knocked up some but the way he was swinging it wasn't really a loss. The only notable injury I can really think of is from last year their set-up man JP Howell and early this year Niemann. Not sure where you think that they overcome injuries. If anything, they're one of the luckiest teams in the league as far as injuries go.

Twins have won through some injuries, but right now they're in last place. Giants have only been winning for two years now and the only big injury they've ever had is Buster Posey this year, which they have done well so far to survive but the season is 162 games.

:pardon:

That said, I agree with your premise but your examples aren't really great ones. Phillies, Red Sox, and Cardinals is what I would have gone with. :drinks:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:43 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Should Sizemore really be playing CF over Michael Brantley? I gotta think that Michael Brantley covers more range at this point in his career, no? Besides, I would probably want Sizemore in LF just because he has to cover less range there, so it's less stressful on his knees. That's just me blabbering though.

And I see that Mitch Talbot is up to his usual tricks. I still haven't figured out what he has done to deserve this spot over Jeanmar Gomez.

another great start by him, he is what he is. He is a solid 4, can't expect huge things and will shit the bed at points, but in general he can be counted on as a solid starter
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 am

Nice 1st game for Chiz. With him, Cord, Santana, Brantley, & even Marson, this is starting to look like the future Tribe.

Pretty soon the PD is going to do one of those articles about draft picks that made it to MLB & they'll actually have a few guys to talk about.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 am

Rocky55 wrote:Nice 1st game for Chiz. With him, Cord, Santana, Brantley, & even Marson, this is starting to look like the future Tribe.

Pretty soon the PD is going to do one of those articles about draft picks that made it to MLB & they'll actually have a few guys to talk about.
The Plain Dull newspaper of Northeast Ohio will get it wrong.. Hoynes will crap all over himself trying to show that it's the guys who were picked by some other smart/astute GM / Scouting Director / Player Personnel Director that are performing, not the guys the Indians drafted. There will also be no mention of the work the Indians player development and minor league coaches have done to prepare these kids, both drafted and those acquired via trade for their promotion and performance in the 'show'.

Rock.. you are correct.. the team's infield is starting to look a LOT like the future.. LaPorta is the odd man out as he's on the DL. The infield of Santana, Laporta, Phelps, Cabrera and Chisenhall along with Lou Marson are here now. There is the hope that Kipnis, Donald and, possibly, Tony Wolters & Francisco Lindor (in the not so distant future) will fill out the future infield roster.

The outfield.. is at least one and perhaps two guys short. That is, the outfield's make up isn't quite so clear. Two thirds of the OF consists of Brantley, who's a good defensive OF'er and patient hitter with gap power and Shin-soo Choo, a true FIVE tool player, who, like LaPorta is currently injured. Grady Sizemore is a short term option, through the 2012 season, but, perhaps, not much longer. There isn't another OF'er at the ML level or in the minors that anyone can point to and say "...he's the goods, he'll be contributing here for a long time.." The highest ranked OF'ers in the Indians system include Weglarz, Washington, Abreu, Henry, and Holt.. Perhaps only Weglarz has the power component to become that missing piece that fills the void as the third starting OF'er. The 2011 draft brought a kid, Bryson Miles, into the wigwam. He may become an important part of the future. We won't know about him for a couple/three years. This is an area of the Indians minor league system that just doesn't have immediate clear cut answers about the future...

The pitching staff of the future..appears to be quite solid with arms on top of arms that are both short and long term solutions to the Indians current and future needs.

The future does look bright.. with a very small number of tweaks, it could be really interesting...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Should Sizemore really be playing CF over Michael Brantley? I gotta think that Michael Brantley covers more range at this point in his career, no? Besides, I would probably want Sizemore in LF just because he has to cover less range there, so it's less stressful on his knees. That's just me blabbering though.

With Grady struggling, don't see the need to add yet another obstacle. He doesn't move as well at Brantley, but he gets good reads and is pretty solid out there (well other than 2 days ago). I'd have been on board with Grady in LF had they done it in spring training and had him work out there more, but don't mess with what really isn't broken. Both are playing ok defensively....their bats meanwhile....eek.

As jellis said, Talbot is what he is. Not a quality start though he was crusising there (victim of the NL there). Could Gomez be better? meh, he could (ERA was slightly lower in his short stint), but really not enough to just dump Talbot (as some want). He keeps the team in the game for the most part. He's not pretty, but gets the job done.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

.....As jellis said, Talbot is what he is. Not a quality start though he was crusising there (victim of the NL there). Could Gomez be better? meh, he could (ERA was slightly lower in his short stint), but really not enough to just dump Talbot (as some want). He keeps the team in the game for the most part. He's not pretty, but gets the job done.

Why does it seem to take Talbot at least an inning, usually two before he finds his slot?. Could Belcher do something in the way of pregame prep have him more prepared? It's a well worn thought process that says a starter needs to throw a number of pitches before he settles.. Do them in the pen. Do a simulated start... do something.. starting games in the hole by 1 or 3 or more runs just gets old...

As far as a quality start stat goes.. meh...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 pm

My respect for Tomlin has gone up (& it was pretty high coming into today).

First he gets a basehit off a sacrifice attempt in his 1st MLB at-bat. :good:

Then as Brantley grounds up the middle, Josh is hustling down to 2nd and tries to break up the DP. :good: :good:

I wish more of the players would observe and follow Josh's example. Most pitchers would just get down the bunt and if they some how got on base, jog the bases (& not slide) - forget trying to break up the DP.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Wow. Can Tomlin play Right Field? He obviously has an arm, and apparently he has a bat too.

:crazy:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Yeah Josh - I hope Grady is watching!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I imagine quite a few AL pitchers love inter-league play, finally getting a chance to bat.... Maybe Tomlin can be that RH bat off the bench, or not. love it!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Yeah Josh - I hope Grady is watching!

Grady is simply "out to lunch". What the hell is wrong with him?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:31 am

I swear, I knew it was going to be either home run or strikeout to Willy Mo.

Surprised we didn't go to the bullpen there. Ugh.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Wow, what has gotten into Orlando Cabrera lately?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:48 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Wow, what has gotten into Orlando Cabrera lately?

How about the concept that an older guy needs some days off? Also, sometimes it helps just to watch the game for awhile.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:Wow, what has gotten into Orlando Cabrera lately?

How about the concept that an older guy needs some days off? Also, sometimes it helps just to watch the game for awhile.

Historically Ocab plays well in Arizona. However I think his recent success has more to do with the off days that he has been getting.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 pm

I had been suggesting cutting back on his playing time to 4-5 games a week which would be a good way to break in Phelps and also keep Cabrera fresh. He seemed to be wearing out playing everyday. Well, lookie what is happening? :angel:

In all seriousness, I am glad to see Cabrera playing well. Not because I think he sticks around longer, but because maybe he can be traded after all. I think the Indians are close to letting his ship sail, and it would obviously be so much better to trade him than DFA him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 am

TonyIPI wrote:I had been suggesting cutting back on his playing time to 4-5 games a week which would be a good way to break in Phelps and also keep Cabrera fresh. He seemed to be wearing out playing everyday. Well, lookie what is happening? :angel:

In all seriousness, I am glad to see Cabrera playing well. Not because I think he sticks around longer, but because maybe he can be traded after all. I think the Indians are close to letting his ship sail, and it would obviously be so much better to trade him than DFA him.
HUH?? DFA O-Cabby?. Is that's something that you can say with a straight face? Sure, there are plenty of choices for the middle infield. One that hasn't been used much, but, could be, is using O-Cabby at SS..if for no other reason than to give Droobs some time off.. With the current make up of the infielders on this roster, and comments by Manny Acta, the 'regular' lineup may feature:

C Sweet Lou Marson (backup: Santana)
1B Carlos Santana (backup: Hannahan/Buck/Duncan...until LaPorta returns from rehab assignment)
2B Orlando Cabrera (backup: Cord Phelps)
SS Asdrubal Cabrera (backup: Orlando Cabrera/Phelps)
3B Lonnie Chisenhall (backup: Hannaha/Phelps)

With the astutely suggested 4-5 games per week schedule for O-Cabby, Cord will get the start two or three days. Droobs will play 6 days per week, Cord will get the start on days Droobs rests or the above mentioned Orlando Cabrera choice if there is a particularly tough lefty on the hill and the Indians are playing in Arizona. Chisenhall will become the regular start at 3B and will get 4-5 starts per week with Hannahan getting the other two. Hannahan will share 1B when Santana is behind the plate with Buck and Duncan.

Overall.. it looks like all the "starters" will be getting at least 5 starts per week with Droobs getting just a wee bit more. It also says that Jason Kipnis will be spending the entire year at AAA, barring injury.

The OF is another matter...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:57 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:HUH?? DFA O-Cabby?. Is that's something that you can say with a straight face? Sure, there are plenty of choices for the middle infield. One that hasn't been used much, but, could be, is using O-Cabby at SS..if for no other reason than to give Droobs some time off.. With the current make up of the infielders on this roster, and comments by Manny Acta, the 'regular' lineup may feature:

C Sweet Lou Marson (backup: Santana)
1B Carlos Santana (backup: Hannahan/Buck/Duncan...until LaPorta returns from rehab assignment)
2B Orlando Cabrera (backup: Cord Phelps)
SS Asdrubal Cabrera (backup: Orlando Cabrera/Phelps)
3B Lonnie Chisenhall (backup: Hannaha/Phelps)

With the astutely suggested 4-5 games per week schedule for O-Cabby, Cord will get the start two or three days. Droobs will play 6 days per week, Cord will get the start on days Droobs rests or the above mentioned Orlando Cabrera choice if there is a particularly tough lefty on the hill and the Indians are playing in Arizona. Chisenhall will become the regular start at 3B and will get 4-5 starts per week with Hannahan getting the other two. Hannahan will share 1B when Santana is behind the plate with Buck and Duncan.

Overall.. it looks like all the "starters" will be getting at least 5 starts per week with Droobs getting just a wee bit more. It also says that Jason Kipnis will be spending the entire year at AAA, barring injury.

The OF is another matter...

I think Cord will continue to get most of the 2nd base starts versus righties while OCab gets his starts versus lefties. While Orlando is playing pretty hot right now, I just don't think Cord is up there to play 2 games a week, sorry. If that were the case, they should swap him with Valbuena or Donald.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Return to Beyond The Minors