RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Twins at Indians, June 6, 7 & 8

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Twins at Indians, June 6, 7 & 8

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Entering the series...
Indians: 33-24, 1st place in AL Central with a 2½ game lead. 19-10 at home. 3-7 in last 10.
Twins: 21-37, last place in AL Central, 12½ GB the Tribe. 15-22 on the road. 5-5 in last 10.
...The Indians are already guaranteed of a losing home stand, coming off a 4-game sweep at the hands of the Rangers. They are tied with the Yankees for best record in the AL, but their lead in the Central was cut in half over the weekend. The Twins played their best baseball all year over the weekend, sweeping a 4-game series from Kansas City... but they still have the worst record in baseball. They are also dealing with injuries to more than half their starting lineup. If there's a "must win" series in the first half for Cleveland, this is probably it.

Monday, 7:05 ET
Josh Tomlin, RHP (7-2, 3.27) vs. Scott Baker, RHP (2-4, 3.86)

Tomlin is tied for the league lead with 7 wins, and is 4-0 at home, where the Indians have dropped 6 in a row. This will be the first time Tomlin will ever face Minnesota. • The Indians have been a nightmare for Baker recently, as he went 0-2, 7.63 ERA in 3 starts against them last year. They present a difficult match-up, as left-handed bats have done all the damage against him this year (.289/.351/.480 v. LH but .179/.258/.321 v. RH). It's been exactly one month since Baker's last victory, and he's failed to make a quality start in 4 of 5 appearances since then. One positive for Baker has been his 8.8 K/9 rate this season, a full 1.0 better than other year of his career.

Tuesday, 7:05 ET
Carlos Carrasco, RHP (4-3, 5.18) vs. Francisco Liriano, LHP (3-5, 5.73)

It's been a see-saw season for Carrasco, who's alternated good starts with bad ones over his past 6 appearances. He allowed 5 earned runs in 6 innings his last time out, and for just the second time in his career, did not record a strikeout. With most of the Twins left-handed bats injured, this might be the best time for Carrasco to face them (.581 OPSa by RH / .958 OPSa by LH). • Liriano is expected back after missing two starts to the DL for shoulder inflammation. He pitched a bullpen session over the weekend rather than making a rehab start. Despite the terrible results, this is the lowest average (.218) he's held opponents to since 2006. His problem is a career high walk rate (5.9 BB/9) and career low strikeout rate (6.3 K/9). He has fared much better in his 6 road starts (.171/.308/.318) than his 3 home starts (.340/.431/.520). Anthony Swarzak would make the start if Liriano is unavailable.

Wednesday, 12:05 ET
Justin Masterson, RHP (5-4, 3.28) vs. Carl Pavano, RHP (3-5, 4.83)

Masterson is 0-4, 4.05 in his last 7 starts. He allowed a season high 10 hits in 6.1 ip his last time out, and the Indians have lost his last two starts by a combined score of 18-2. Despite the recent struggles, right-handers have still been ineffective him (.186/.299/.212). • Pavano is coming off a complete game 5-2 victory against the Royals for the 100th win of his career. No one in baseball relies on their defense more than Pavano (2.0 BB/9, 3.4 K/9). His K-rate is the lowest of all qualifiers in the majors (no one else is even lower than 4.0). That problem gets further exploited when your team's defense ranks 11th in the league.

NOTES:
• Jack Hannahan (hamstring) has not played in the past three games and is considered day-to-day. Vinnie Pestano (back) has the same status. Baseball activities have reportedly gone well for Travis Hafner (oblique), but he's still 1-2 weeks away from returning to the lineup.
• Carlos Santana is hitting .355/.463/.484 over his last 10 games.
• Orlando Cabrera enters the series with 1,997 career hits.
• Things really couldn't have worked out any worse for the Twins this season. Not only have they lacked production from core players (Mauer, Mourneau, Liriano) due to injury and poor performance, but now several of their tradeable expiring contracts are on the DL -- Jim Thome (quad), Jason Kubel (foot) and Joe Nathan (elbow).
• Justin Morneau (wrist) and Denard Span (neck) have both missed the past two games, but could be back in the lineup Monday.
• Joe Mauer (leg) and Tsuyoshi Nishioka (fractured fibula) have just begun rehab assignments and won't come off the DL until later in the month.
• Delmon Young's offense hasn't shown up all year (.251/.248/.257), and he has 1 home run in 144 ab's. His OPS+ for the season is 41.
• The Twins offense is the worst in the league at scoring runs and drawing walks.

The Indians are 0-2 vs. the Twins so far this season, with the one game from their first series rained out.

4/23 - L - 10-3 • Win: Duensing. Loss: Carmona.
4/24 - L - 4-3 • Win: Pavano. Loss: R. Perez.
(Minnesota won the 2010 series 12-6)
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Re: Twins at Indians, June 6, 7 & 8

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Scott Baker hasn't been horrible and hasn't been great against the Indians.. so in the first game, let's go waaaaaaaay out on a limb and say the Indians have a pretty good chance of scoring a run.. Liriano throws with his left arm.. so that automatically makes him trouble.. Pavano is about the same as Baker except, Carl is a savvy vet...

The Indians haven't fared well against the Twins lately.. two losses to open the series.. and an additional six game losing streak against them..

Let's get some runs.. and then get some more.. should be a GREAT night for a baseball game....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Indians Lineup tonight:

1. LF Brantley
2. SS Cabrera
3. CF Sizemore
4. C Santana
5. RF Choo
6. 1B LaPorta
7. DH Buck
8. 2B Cabrera
9. 3B Hannahan

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Best order of the year!
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby InsaneJedi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Indians Lineup tonight:

1. LF Brantley
2. SS Cabrera
3. CF Sizemore
4. C Santana
5. RF Choo
6. 1B LaPorta
7. DH Buck
8. 2B Cabrera
9. 3B Hannahan

Best order of the year!

Agreed 100%. Probably the best lineup that could be made given our current roster and which players are hot/cold right now. Love seeing LaPorta hitting sixth; I've been saying all year that hitting him after O-Cab is a travesty. Cabrera may have a better average, but LaPorta hits with much more power.
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 pm

InsaneJedi wrote:

1. LF Brantley
2. SS Cabrera
3. CF Sizemore
4. C Santana
5. RF Choo
6. 1B LaPorta
7. DH Buck
8. 2B Cabrera
9. 3B Hannahan

Best order of the year!

Agreed 100%. Probably the best lineup that could be made given our current roster and which players are hot/cold right now. Love seeing LaPorta hitting sixth; I've been saying all year that hitting him after O-Cab is a travesty. Cabrera may have a better average, but LaPorta hits with much more power.

Agree 100%!!!!! - This is this line up we have been waiting for. Once Hafner gets back it could get interesting - but going forward this should be your line-up 90+% of time until Choo comes around (if he does).
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm

HAVE to win 2 of 3 this series. With Yankees 4-game series looming in the Bronx this weekend, if the Indians lose 2 of 3 of get swept by the Twins, this thing could snowball FAST.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:47 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
InsaneJedi wrote:

1. LF Brantley
2. SS Cabrera
3. CF Sizemore
4. C Santana
5. RF Choo
6. 1B LaPorta
7. DH Buck
8. 2B Cabrera
9. 3B Hannahan

Best order of the year!

Agree 100%!!!!! - This is this line up we have been waiting for. Once Hafner gets back it could get interesting - but going forward this should be your line-up 90+% of time until Choo comes around (if he does).

Am I the only one who is salivating to see something like:

LF Brantley
SS Droobs
CF Sizemore
C Santana
DH Hafner
RF Choo
1B LaPorta
3B Chiz
2B Cord Phelps

:s_omg
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

There will be no excuses for bad pitching from the Tribe staff in this series. Denard Span is the only guy in the Twins current lineup who's having a good offensive season, and he's basically a singles hitter who hasn't been stealing bases this year... even at that, his .759 OPS is the best in their lineup. They've been a station-to-station offense (11 of 24 stealing bases!) and have no power outside Morneau and Michael Cuddyer. With Morneau struggling, the last five guys in their lineup tonight are batting .236 or worse.

I finally have a positive feeling about each of the pitching match-ups, and the offense shouldn't have to suddenly transform into greatness to keep the team in these games.

There's also a lot to like about these match-ups over the next three days...

Tigers at Rangers
Max Scherzer, RHP (6-2, 4.38 ERA) vs. Colby Lewis (5-5, 3.48 ERA)
Rick Porcello, RHP (5-3, 3.79 ERA) vs. Matt Harrison, LHP (5-4, 3.26 ERA)
Phil Coke, LHP (1-5, 3.81 ERA) vs. Alexi Ogando, RHP (6-0, 2.20 ERA)

Mariners at White Sox
Michael Pineda, RHP (6-2, 2.30 ERA) vs. John Danks, LHP (0-8, 5.25 ERA)
Felix Hernandez, RHP (6-4, 3.04 ERA) vs. Philip Humber, RHP (4-3, 3.06 ERA)
Jason Vargas, LHP (4-3, 3.96 ERA) vs. Gavin Floyd, RHP (6-5, 3.84 ERA)

...never a better opportunity to reestablish some momentum.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm

TonyIPI wrote:HAVE to win 2 of 3 this series. With Yankees 4-game series looming in the Bronx this weekend, if the Indians lose 2 of 3 of get swept by the Twins, this thing could snowball FAST.

Agreed. I like the pitching matchups for us, so I think we've got a good chance to do at least that. Honestly, hoping for a sweep. That would shut up the critics, and probably bury the Twins for good.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Wow, AC again
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Shin Soo - I want a big contract - Choo remains lost in space. And then there was the passed ball - err wild pitch - that gave the Twins a run.

This team is in a real funk. I think we are seeing why a veteran team eventually wins out.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:11 pm

More bad defense. I think May and June were simply a dream. That team is nowhere around in June.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:More bad defense. I think May and June were simply a dream. That team is nowhere around in June.

And more bad defense

Edit - And more bad defense!!!!!!!!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Shin Soo - I want a big contract - Choo remains lost in space. And then there was the passed ball - err wild pitch - that gave the Twins a run.

This team is in a real funk. I think we are seeing why a veteran team eventually wins out.

Bob

I don't know if I agree with you about a veteran team. Sure, going down the stretch a solid veteran team will stay more consistent, but I don't think that's the case with the Tribe. The biggest liabilities for the Tribe this year have been the fielding of Orlando Cabrera, the bat of Orlando Cabrera, the bat of Jack Hannahan, and the inconsistent batting and fielding of Choo. Kearns and Duncan are not worthy of being everyday players either but they get the time because they're veterans. On top of that, our worst pitchers are probably Chad Durbin and Herrmann who are relative veterans compared to the rest of the bullpen. On top of that, the veteran of our staff Fausto Carmona has been very inconsistent.

I think adding some youth and energy back to this team (Chiz/Phelps) could give this team a much needed boost before they put it in cruise control and begin to get in the mindset that we are a team of losers.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 pm

This team is making rookie mistakes. LaPorta is leaning to play 1b and Santana needs to learn how to block a pitch in the dirt. The runs scored by the Twins tonight were mainly by making the tribe make plays - and they did not.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Out of 1st by the weekend?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Extremely discouraging game. The first five Indians hitters crushed the ball and all they got was two runs. Then the Twins came back behind some good bunts, a bloop single, and horrible pitch blocking by Santana. I mainly fault Tomlin for throwing breaking balls in the dirt with men on base, but in that situation Santana has to block the pitch with his body instead of reaching for it with his glove.

Typical night for Choo. He strikes out in a critical situation with two out and two on, then singles with nobody on. Maybe a few days off at the All-Star break will clear his head.

Brantley and Astrubal are awesome. Unfortunately that's all we have right now. Brantley has led off an inning with either a hit or a walk five times in the last two games. At least Acta moved OCab out of the #2 spot because he grounds into so many double plays it's ridiculous to hit him behind Brantley. Having him hit behind LaPorta makes sense because LaPorta isn't on base very often, reducing the chances for a DP.

I feel sorry for Buck who absolutely hammered two balls right at Twins players.

Tomlin is used to being ahead in the count so when he falls behind 2-0 he gets nervous and grooves one. He doesn't want to be 3-0. Both times he did that tonight he paid for it, the first time with a two-run single to the #8 hitter with a .202 average. He has to learn not to give in to hitters when down in the count and keep working the edges of the strike zone.

With this punchless Twins lineup I won't be surprised to see Gardenhire calling for more bunts the next two games. The Indians really don't have a clue how to defend them.

I noticed Santana was nowhere near home plate on the throw from right field. Again. Ever since his knee got taken out last year he makes sure to move up the first base line on any play at the plate where the throw is coming from right field. Then he sweeps back with the glove to try and make the tag. That was pathetic the other night when he took the throw with the runner a good 10 feet from the plate and let him slide under the tag. Luckily the ump missed the call. Sandy Alomar has a lot of work to do with Santana on blocking pitches and tagging runners.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Extremely discouraging game. The first five Indians hitters crushed the ball and all they got was two runs. Then the Twins came back behind some good bunts, a bloop single, and horrible pitch blocking by Santana. I mainly fault Tomlin for throwing breaking balls in the dirt with men on base, but in that situation Santana has to block the pitch with his body instead of reaching for it with his glove.

Typical night for Choo. He strikes out in a critical situation with two out and two on, then singles with nobody on. Maybe a few days off at the All-Star break will clear his head.

Brantley and Astrubal are awesome. Unfortunately that's all we have right now. Brantley has led off an inning with either a hit or a walk five times in the last two games. At least Acta moved OCab out of the #2 spot because he grounds into so many double plays it's ridiculous to hit him behind Brantley. Having him hit behind LaPorta makes sense because LaPorta isn't on base very often, reducing the chances for a DP.

I feel sorry for Buck who absolutely hammered two balls right at Twins players.

Tomlin is used to being ahead in the count so when he falls behind 2-0 he gets nervous and grooves one. He doesn't want to be 3-0. Both times he did that tonight he paid for it, the first time with a two-run single to the #8 hitter with a .202 average. He has to learn not to give in to hitters when down in the count and keep working the edges of the strike zone.

With this punchless Twins lineup I won't be surprised to see Gardenhire calling for more bunts the next two games. The Indians really don't have a clue how to defend them.

I noticed Santana was nowhere near home plate on the throw from right field. Again. Ever since his knee got taken out last year he makes sure to move up the first base line on any play at the plate where the throw is coming from right field. Then he sweeps back with the glove to try and make the tag. That was pathetic the other night when he took the throw with the runner a good 10 feet from the plate and let him slide under the tag. Luckily the ump missed the call. Sandy Alomar has a lot of work to do with Santana on blocking pitches and tagging runners.

meh, I actually liked him there. What Acta needed to do was more hit-n-runs. As said, Cabrera doesn't strike out a lot against lefties (he was in the 2-hole against a lefty). Brantley has speed....let him run and let OC try and hit that hole.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Watching this team at bat is becoming very very very painful. There is angst about Hannahan and O Cab - but the real problems are Choo, Santana and Grady. The guys who are the supposed heart of the order all seem to have gone on summer vacation.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Agree, the middle of the order really needs to pick it up. That's the biggest issue.

O-Cab still hitting lefties at least
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:31 pm

I wonder if Choo has any options left. He is so lost we need to do something special to get him going. Remember in Tampa how their manager put Longoria in lead off to try to get him going - and how it worked?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Watching this team at bat is becoming very very very painful. There is angst about Hannahan and O Cab - but the real problems are Choo, Santana and Grady. The guys who are the supposed heart of the order all seem to have gone on summer vacation.

Bob

True, but I don't think that any of them are true 3-5 hitters. Maybe Santana could be considered a 3 hitter, but with his high amount of walks and ability to get on base, he should definitely not be hitting cleanup. And then Grady is a lifetime leadoff hitter. Choo is ideally perfect for the 3 hole too but has been playing like someone who should be hitting 9th.

In other words, WE NEED TRAVIS HAFNER!!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 pm

that might have been the most encouraging inning ever from carrasco, he had to be upset to give up the no hitter. Then he had runners at corners stayed calm and got a pop up and a punch out, I know they weren't great hitters, but carrasco normally melts down there and puts up a 5 spot.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Choo does not have any options left, plus as a 3+ service time guy would have to clear waivers or something.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm

jellis wrote:that might have been the most encouraging inning ever from carrasco, he had to be upset to give up the no hitter. Then he had runners at corners stayed calm and got a pop up and a punch out, I know they weren't great hitters, but carrasco normally melts down there and puts up a 5 spot.

Excellent observation.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm

I know the Twins have a weak line up but that was the best pitching performance this year, when this team needed it. We saw the carrasco who has tantalized scouts for years tonight, we better get him the win he earned it tonight
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Best outing of Carrasco's career tonight, let's hope Chris Perez can hold on for him.

WE NEED A WIN!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Whew!

Time to party!!!!!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:22 pm

We still cannot hit - but Carrasco and CP did the job. Of note - tonight the defense was great - amazing what a difference that makes.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Tip of the cap to Carrasco. They needed someone to step up big time, and I have to admit that I wasn't expecting it to be him.

Quick turn around for tomorrow's game. Let's hope someone's bat wakes up for it.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Has there been a reply of the arguement at hte plate as the game ended??
Matt U thought there might have been some contact and if so, Cuddyer will be sitting out Wednesday's game. I'll weaken an opponents lineup any way I can.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 pm

This game and esp. that 5th Inn, runners at the corners with 1out, was big for Carrasco...I think we witnessed an important step in his development tonight....huge pressure for him with the way the team was losing, but he held up this time.

CC had similar issues and knocks and simply needed time/experience to overcome them, so will Carlos (and no, I'm not comparing the 2, just saying they had the same problem to rech their resp. ceilings)
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Thats the best I've seen Carasco pitch in a long time. (maybe ever.) Congrats to Carlos. I think some more success will breed confidence in him and I could see him with more consistency the rest of the season.

BTW - something needs to be done with the offense now. Why can't we add Jerad Head? Can't he DH while Hafner is out at least. He's a RH bat, OPS about 890. What's the worst that could happen?
I know he's not on the 40 man. So what? If you DFA Everett would anybody pick him up?

Sorry, my frustration with inaction is showing through.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:BTW - something needs to be done with the offense now. Why can't we add Jerad Head? Can't he DH while Hafner is out at least. He's a RH bat, OPS about 890. What's the worst that could happen?
I know he's not on the 40 man. So what? If you DFA Everett would anybody pick him up?

No thanks on Head… but as for Everett, whether anyone would pick him up or not is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure neither side has any interest in him playing in Columbus. Once he's DFA'd he's gone (would make no sense for him to wait around in hopes that he's eventually added to the roster again). Not that I'd be complaining. However, I can't see them dumping a guy whose role on the team is infield defense, just so they can give a short-term/wild-card shot to Head, who's a defensive liability anywhere on the field.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Thats the best I've seen Carasco pitch in a long time. (maybe ever.) Congrats to Carlos. I think some more success will breed confidence in him and I could see him with more consistency the rest of the season.

BTW - something needs to be done with the offense now. Why can't we add Jerad Head? Can't he DH while Hafner is out at least. He's a RH bat, OPS about 890. What's the worst that could happen?

Sorry, my frustration with inaction is showing through.

Um....how could we DFA Everett for Head?

We'd have no backup infielders. Head has played 4 games combined at 3B/2B in the last 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Head get a shot, but you can't drop an infielder for him. Hell, we TOO SHORT on infielders as it is.

Head would have to replace Kearns, Buck, or Duncan.....Kearns is my choice.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Has there been a reply of the arguement at hte plate as the game ended??
Matt U thought there might have been some contact and if so, Cuddyer will be sitting out Wednesday's game. I'll weaken an opponents lineup any way I can.

Even if he gets suspended, he'll appeal and won't sit out tomorrow.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Really can't say enough about Carrasco's performance tonight. Not only did he step up there in that jam, but the fact that he is the guy to give this Much needed win is a very nice thing to see :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm

Tondo wrote:This game and esp. that 5th Inn, runners at the corners with 1out, was big for Carrasco...I think we witnessed an important step in his development tonight....huge pressure for him with the way the team was losing, but he held up this time.

CC had similar issues and knocks and simply needed time/experience to overcome them, so will Carlos (and no, I'm not comparing the 2, just saying they had the same problem to rech their resp. ceilings)

I thought he made that step two starts ago. Time shall tell.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:31 pm

This team needs help offensively. Phelps will be a welcome addition, but you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to come up and be the savior. We need more than him, and fast. Great game for CarCar btw.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 pm

ChadS17 wrote:This team needs help offensively. Phelps will be a welcome addition, but you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to come up and be the savior. We need more than him, and fast. Great game for CarCar btw.

What we need is for Santana, Choo, Sizemore and Hafner to be productive. Injuries and ineffectiveness from those 4 means that either we need guys to play way better than they're supposed to (OCab and Hannahan were doing this in April) or we're sunk.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Edible14 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:This team needs help offensively. Phelps will be a welcome addition, but you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to come up and be the savior. We need more than him, and fast. Great game for CarCar btw.

What we need is for Santana, Choo, Sizemore and Hafner to be productive. Injuries and ineffectiveness from those 4 means that either we need guys to play way better than they're supposed to (OCab and Hannahan were doing this in April) or we're sunk.

Yes, if those 4 play to capabilities this is an average offense. Right now it is pittiful. These fans, on Chuck's Last Call for example, think Phelps is coming up and is going to be a run producer. Won't happen. Possibly will be better than OCab, but that's not going to help score runs. Can only go up from here though. :drinks:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 am

Was this the first game that Lou Marson has caught for Carlos Carrasco? I wonder if their familiarity with each other (from the Phillies system) contributed to Carlos's success tonight. Truthfully, I kinda hope not and that it was more-so that Carrasco was dead on.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 am

entertheshoe wrote:Was this the first game that Lou Marson has caught for Carlos Carrasco? I wonder if their familiarity with each other (from the Phillies system) contributed to Carlos's success tonight. Truthfully, I kinda hope not and that it was more-so that Carrasco was dead on.

Seems like I remember him catching him one other time, but anyways, speaking of him, he has quietly been awful at the plate. Hard to imagine him having any trade value at all like others have suggested. Wouldn't be opposed to sending him down for Carlin/Phillips.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 am

ChadS17 wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:Was this the first game that Lou Marson has caught for Carlos Carrasco? I wonder if their familiarity with each other (from the Phillies system) contributed to Carlos's success tonight. Truthfully, I kinda hope not and that it was more-so that Carrasco was dead on.

Seems like I remember him catching him one other time, but anyways, speaking of him, he has quietly been awful at the plate. Hard to imagine him having any trade value at all like others have suggested. Wouldn't be opposed to sending him down for Carlin/Phillips.

Believe it or not, Marson was batting .474 against lefties before tonight's game.

He HAS gone 9 straight games without a hit though so yea not looking too great.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 am

entertheshoe wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

Believe it or not, Marson was batting .474 against lefties before tonight's game.

He HAS gone 9 straight games without a hit though so yea not looking too great.

I believe it. I also believe he's hitting .185 overall. Time to go down and improve value. Not that Carlin would be any better, but Marson isn't improving his value by being another of our auto outs.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

Although I guess easier said than done with the impending 40 man issues.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 am

Notes/Observations:

-Booooyah! for Car-Car.. tremendous effort over 8 1/3 innings.. career highs for IP's and K's. He was as dominating in this start as he's ever been. His post game comments show he's a humble kid, too at only 24.. We'll see if he can dominate in his next start..should be a GOOD test..

-Booooyah ! Asdrubal.. our "mediocre fielding" shortstop (after, all UZR says so) made two or three clutch / tremendous defensive plays in the game along with all the regular ones.. the barehanded/one motion bouncer to open the game, the glove only catch and flip to O-cabby to start the double play and the diving stop of a hot smash up the middle later in the game was sooooooo omar-esque

-Even though he didn't get a hit (he did draw a walk), the work behind the plate by Sweet Lou was impressive. His athletic ability and dedication to his craft is nice to see... his liner to deep right center that was caught was hit on the screws...

-Shelly & Hanny both look lost at the plate.. Neither seems to be able to see the ball, judge where it's going.. it's just seems hopeless..

Nice way to stop the "streak". Nooner today and then off to the big dirty filthy city...
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:33 am

BTW.. the Twins bullpen antics (rowing the boat out to the pen).. are HILARIOUS.. not quite as good as the Iceland soccer team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD49mZiyJYQ

but funny as hell... :s_rofl :s_rofl :s_rofl
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:42 am

I'm withholding judgement on Carrasco until he goes 8 innings against a major league team. The Twins are devastated by injuries. Only one starter in last night's game was hitting above .259. Five of their nine starters were below .230. Their lineup is a joke right now. Their DH was somebody named Dinkleman who has 0 HRs and 0 RBIs. I can't believe Tomlin let himself get beat by these guys.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am

Prosecutor wrote:I'm withholding judgement on Carrasco until he goes 8 innings against a major league team. The Twins are devastated by injuries. Only one starter in last night's game was hitting above .259. Five of their nine starters were below .230. Their lineup is a joke right now. Their DH was somebody named Dinkleman who has 0 HRs and 0 RBIs. I can't believe Tomlin let himself get beat by these guys.
Those were the same guys who had won five in a row and beat the Indians the night before. Dinkleman had four AB's starting the night out, so not having a lot of stats wouldn't be a HUGE surprise....somehow, withholding judgement seems "dis-ingenuine"...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors