Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: 2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Heck, let's put in a claim on Thome and Pena, that way we get production from the DH spot and 1B, when Santana isn't playing there.

(I know trade waivers is difficult...)
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby timdav » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 am

Guys...tell me: am I wrong?: this team has had, what: 2 or 3 good seasons since John Hart left years and years ago?

They've changed players and managers over and over.

Maybe it's time to make major changes to key people in the front office....those who analyze players, make trades, sign free agents, draft, sign, and develop players in our system.

Am I wrong?
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 am

@ Timdav that'd be a knee jerk reaction. This was supposed to be a developmental season afterall. CA has just taken the reigns and while the Jimenez trade has been controversial, a change in owners or perhaps fan base would be the difference. What I'm saying is this team is limited by resources, no or low attendance = bad teams with low payroll. The tribe has been aggressive in trying to be competitive and fiscally sound too. Let's face it it is a business and Dolan wants to make money. The FO has changed approach in recent yrs and are attempting to build while supplementing the system with a continual influx of talent. Look at the most recent drafts (3) solid to good drafts. The grade is still out on many of these guys who are very young. The internat'l market is also producing some very intriguing players (Sterling, RRod, LRod, Lugo), truth be told the most talented players in this entire system are likely in A ball or lower after the graduation of several upper tier guys and the addition of Jimenez via White & Pomeranz. This team is trying compete and develop at the same time alot of what we see as struggles are growing pains.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 am

The Indians progress this year is, in a lot of ways similar to what was seen in 1992/1993 or the 2004 seasons, respectively. The talent on the club at those times was considered very good and very young. The depth was questionable as is always the case with a mid/small market team. This year, the Indians got off to a roaring start. The first 45 games saw the Indians race out to a 30-15 record. Starting pitching, the bullpen, the timely hitting and superb defense all contributed to the team's success.

but, alas, it didn't last..

The first of many setbacks befell this club starting with Grady Sizemore being placed on the DL with a deep bone bruise on his 'other' knee. While not as serious as the previous bone bruise that required micro-fracture surgery and the rest of his season, the loss of Grady was telling. Additional setbacks continued including losing Shin-soo Choo, Travis Hafner, Carlos Carrasco, Alex White, and Matt LaPorta to injury. While hanging onto first place for nearly 100 days of the summer of 2011, the Indians, went 32-47 from the middle of May to the middle of August. The loss of two of the best hitters in the order (Sizemore & Choo) along with the injuries to Hafner & LaPorta contributed mightily to the loss of offensive output.

The Indians had the services of their "heart of the order" for only three or four weeks... The replacements were a collection of major league castoffs and players too young to know what being in a pennant race was about. (but they do now) It was stated, oh so clearly, that the only way this team would have a chance to compete would be if the veterans on the team remained healthy and the rest of the team got a little bit lucky. Well, that wasn't the case.

It wasn't the front office.. or the talent evaluations that created the loss of service time.. it was the lack of depth needed to cover the service time lost by the heart of the order.. Take any team in MLB.. and take away their leadoff hitter and their # 3 hitter and their # 4 hitter and their # 5 hitter for large portions of the season.. and ask: can this team win with what is remaining? (name one team that can?.. ) Sadly, in Cleveland that's not the question or complaint that is raised. The question returns to:

WHY DIDN'T THE FRONT OFFICE FIX THE PROBLEM BY SPENDING MORE OF CHEAPSKATE LARRY DOLAN's MONEY?

psssssssssssssst.. it's not the money, it's baseball.. played on freshly mowed green grass by young athletes, who, when they remain healthy, are a formidable bunch as witness by the first 45 game of this season. While this season is not over, it's certainly not looking nearly as "cheery" as it did just a few weeks ago. With 38 games remaining, including 6 with the Tigers and 8 with the CWSox, the fate of the Indians is in their own hands. It should be a fun finish to the month of August and a September to remember..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 am

It should be a fun finish to the month of August and a September to remember..

Or to forget.

Desparately need two wins against the toothless Mariners today to get rolling again.

The good news is Carmona has turned his season around. Six innings with one earned run last night. That's six good starts in a row if I'm not mistaken. Now we need Huff and Jimenez to step up, and the offense needs to improve. The loss of Hafner and Kipnis along with Chisenhall's inability to hit has taken its toll.

I don't know if this is realistic, but I keep hoping that if they can take advantage of this soft spot in the schedule to stay in the hunt or even pick up a game or two on the Tigers, they can make a run in Sep when Pronk and Grady return, assuming they do. Jimenez needs to figure it out and fast, however.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 am

Think it's up to 7 good starts in a row for Carmona. When he's had the chance to meltdown under pressure he's kept it together. Got to like it for Carmona, now Jimenez has got to get it together. Reality is the injuries are mounting, all tolled the most significant as far as timing was probably Jason Kipnis, he looks like he could be the stalwart of the offense moving forward. He's definately a very important cog to say the least.

I can help but :s_thumbsup :yahoo: :clapping: the Browns signing of Joe Thomas. Hopefully the Tribe locks up a cpl of core guys (ACab, Choo, Masterson ---Jimenez????---) to build this franchise upon.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Hopefully the Tribe locks up a cpl of core guys (ACab, Choo, Masterson ---Jimenez????---) to build this franchise upon.

Unfortunately Choo is a Boras client, and Jared Weaver aside, he likes his clients to test free-agency as opposed to signing contract extensions through arbitration years and beyond.

Now if Choo really wanted to stay in Cleveland like Weaver did in Los Angeles, then that's a different story...
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Hopefully the Tribe locks up a cpl of core guys (ACab, Choo, Masterson ---Jimenez????---) to build this franchise upon.

Unfortunately Choo is a Boras client, and Jared Weaver aside, he likes his clients to test free-agency as opposed to signing contract extensions through arbitration years and beyond.

Now if Choo really wanted to stay in Cleveland like Weaver did in Los Angeles, then that's a different story...

Will be interesting to see how the Choo extention talks play out. Carlos Gonzalez in Colorado is another Boras client who signed long-term. Carlos Pena was also a Boras client and signed a deal in Tampa that included his first 'free agent year'. I think a deal similar to Pena's could be done with Choo, buyout his last 2 arby years and 1 free agent year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Cord Phelps has got to be better than Valbuena.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm

For those of you that can't wait for the Indians to re-acquire Jim Thome, (and I count myself in that number), let's go back in the history books first.

In 1965 the Indians traded to re-acquire Rocky Colavito. He was, is, an all-time tribe fan favorite. A former AL HR king, he had been traded to the Tiger by Frank Lane in 1960. After Colavito was re-acquired he had a couple of good seasons, but the team was pretty poor, and got worse over the next decades. But the fans were happy Rocky was back, and he was happy too. The price? Just mostly prospects. But OF Tommie Agee became a big part of the Miracle Mets. The pitching prospect was Tommy John. (Yes, of surgery fame). TJ became a borderline HOFer.

So if we get Thome for CC Lee or Jesus Aguilar, or somebody like that, well,,,,,
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:For those of you that can't wait for the Indians to re-acquire Jim Thome, (and I count myself in that number), let's go back in the history books first.

In 1965 the Indians traded to re-acquire Rocky Colavito. He was, is, an all-time tribe fan favorite. A former AL HR king, he had been traded to the Tiger by Frank Lane in 1960. After Colavito was re-acquired he had a couple of good seasons, but the team was pretty poor, and got worse over the next decades. But the fans were happy Rocky was back, and he was happy too. The price? Just mostly prospects. But OF Tommie Agee became a big part of the Miracle Mets. The pitching prospect was Tommy John. (Yes, of surgery fame). TJ became a borderline HOFer.

So if we get Thome for CC Lee or Jesus Aguilar, or somebody like that, well,,,,,

Can Kluber ever get fame for having a surgery named after him?
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:16 pm

A one month rental of a DH shouldn't cost a top 15 prospect.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm

it should not cost much more than the it cost the twins to get Pavano, no need to over pay
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I'd compare a Thome trade to Carl Pavano for Yohan Pino. Pino was / is a career minor leaguer with a serviceable arm. Thome a 40 yr old FA bat at seasons end should net about the same. Doesn't Thome own a full no trade clause? According to Anthony Castrovince Thome has wanted to return to the Tribe since '02. It would be fitting IMO for him to potentially end his Hall of Fame career with the Tribe. Thome is only due just over $600k on the remainder of the season.

Two other bats the Tribe will likely consider heavily Carlos Pena and Jason Kubel. Kubel is a type B FA at seasons end. Pena is still owed $6 mil. on the season, I'd think the Tribe would get the Cubs to eat most of that before a deal would get done. Kubel is owed about $1 mil. on the season that's based upon his performance clauses which can still be attained.

Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, not by the Nats or Yanks (mlbtraderumors). Then who? The Phillies, Giants, Braves, Red Sox, Tigers or maybe the Tribe??? Rodriguez will cost $1.3 mil. the remainder of the season but is on the books for 3yrs about 36 mil. I wouldn't think the Tribe made the claim unless they did so to block another team, but if I understand the waivers trade rules he'd have to clear the national league teams first which I don't think he likely would.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'd compare a Thome trade to Carl Pavano for Yohan Pino. Pino was / is a career minor leaguer with a serviceable arm. Thome a 40 yr old FA bat at seasons end should net about the same. Doesn't Thome own a full no trade clause? According to Anthony Castrovince Thome has wanted to return to the Tribe since '02. It would be fitting IMO for him to potentially end his Hall of Fame career with the Tribe. Thome is only due just over $600k on the remainder of the season.

Two other bats the Tribe will likely consider heavily Carlos Pena and Jason Kubel. Kubel is a type B FA at seasons end. Pena is still owed $6 mil. on the season, I'd think the Tribe would get the Cubs to eat most of that before a deal would get done. Kubel is owed about $1 mil. on the season that's based upon his performance clauses which can still be attained.

Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, not by the Nats or Yanks (mlbtraderumors). Then who? The Phillies, Giants, Braves, Red Sox, Tigers or maybe the Tribe??? Rodriguez will cost $1.3 mil. the remainder of the season but is on the books for 3yrs about 36 mil. I wouldn't think the Tribe made the claim unless they did so to block another team, but if I understand the waivers trade rules he'd have to clear the national league teams first which I don't think he likely would.

He was claimed by the rockies, only issue with Thome is he might actually be worth type B compensation which could affect trade value, but I still think he should cost slightly more than pavano. Kluber to me is the logical choice, for all sides
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'd compare a Thome trade to Carl Pavano for Yohan Pino. Pino was / is a career minor leaguer with a serviceable arm. Thome a 40 yr old FA bat at seasons end should net about the same. Doesn't Thome own a full no trade clause? According to Anthony Castrovince Thome has wanted to return to the Tribe since '02. It would be fitting IMO for him to potentially end his Hall of Fame career with the Tribe. Thome is only due just over $600k on the remainder of the season.

Rockies were the team that claimed Wandy.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:07 pm

@ jellis looks like we were thinking the same thing on Pavano and Thome. If Thome is a full time player he'd have a better chance of attaining type B status. To me Thome would be worth Kluber maybe another instead like Tyler Sturdevant. Sturdevant isn't a top relief prospect but has some electric stuff bringing it at 97 mph on occasion.

If the Rockies acq. Wandy Rodriguez wouldn't it be similar to trading Ubaldo Jimenez for Wandy Rodriguez. I understand it's different circumstances the Astros would be moving Rodriguez to dump salary and try to get some value. Jimenez for the Rockies was more about in-fluxing their system with upper tier arms in White and Pomeranz.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:24 pm

jellis wrote:He was claimed by the rockies, only issue with Thome is he might actually be worth type B compensation which could affect trade value, but I still think he should cost slightly more than pavano. Kluber to me is the logical choice, for all sides

Possible on thome being a Type B...then again, Pavano was a type B too. Plus, I think there's a good chance Thome retires after the year. Dealt with injuries, is in his 40s, has 600 HRs. he defintiely could keep playing but again, wouldn't surprise me if he hung 'em up after this year, especially if he got a curtain call here with the Tribe.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

Seeing Big Jim Thome back with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve would be a very nice gesture on the part of the Twins (to let him go) and the Indians. The compensation would be nothing.. Not a top 20 or 30 prospect. More in line with a player to be named later or cash considerations that get lost in the translation. The Twins aren't going anywhere (and if the Indians don't start to win the games they should win, they won't be going anywhere, as well). Letting Thome retire as an Indian, would be the right thing to do.. :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Seeing Big Jim Thome back with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve would be a very nice gesture on the part of the Twins (to let him go) and the Indians. The compensation would be nothing.. Not a top 20 or 30 prospect. More in line with a player to be named later or cash considerations that get lost in the translation. The Twins aren't going anywhere (and if the Indians don't start to win the games they should win, they won't be going anywhere, as well). Letting Thome retire as an Indian, would be the right thing to do.. :good:

I think Jimmy can certainly help this team. I also think it would be good to have him back where it all started for him. I'm not real sure it wouldn't cost a lot. The Twins will not be motivated to dump him for salary purposes but may do it for Jimmy himself. With Hafner on the shelf, I'm all for it and I wouldn't mind giving up someone that we will have to take off the 40 man roster in November anyway.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:23 am

Ozzie Guillen says he would love to bring Jim Thome back to Chicago. Looks like the price just went up.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:25 am

The Indians last few games against the M's have clarified one particularly important footnote on the 2011 season. When an impact hitter is on top of his game.. the Indians win.. Witness Shin-soo Choo's performance in the double header.. If this brand of "Choo" was in the lineup all season, then the talk about acquiring an impact bat to help the offense.. would have been moot. The Indians have a gem in Choo !..

The following was posted in the Mariners v Indians thread.. but it probably shouldn't be there.. The question of an impact bat (yes, the Indians can have more than one at a time..) was brought up. At present.. there just aren't any that are sitting in AAA that would impact the Indians during the rest of the 2011 season.. and an equal likelihood that the 2012 season would also see a void in the availability of an impact bat. The signing of a free agent to fill this void has, historically been one abject failure after another for the Indians. So, that leaves the trade market as the path to complete this deficiency with the Indians:

-Yonder Alonso: The Reds would need at least one pretty good SP / RP prospect as the center piece for a trade..

-Alex Presley from the Pirates system (when he was up with the Pirates, I thought he was impressive as hell).. The Pirates would need an IF'er (SS/2B) / SP / RP prospect as the center piece for a trade..

-Cody Ransom from the Dbax system.. The Dbax are pretty solid everywhere. They are young and talented. In many respects, they are the NL version of the Indians. So, a high ceiling SP prospect as the center piece for a trade would be needed, however unlikely it is that the DBax would give up on someone they consider a core player of the future.

-Jai Miller from the Oakland A's system.. I never know what to expect from an A's prospect or what would be needed to entice them to make a trade. Example: the A's let the Kouz go to the Rockies for a subscription to "Better Baseball Through Yoga" IDK.. An RP that can actually throw strikes as the centerpiece?..

At the end of the day, it will come down to what value the Indians place on their own guys and if these clubs are willing to deal...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Ozzie Guillen says he would love to bring Jim Thome back to Chicago. Looks like the price just went up.

Two times nothing is still nothing...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Heath Bell claimed by SF. Kubel and Thome have also been claimed, both presumably by CWS. Carlos Pena also claimed, team unknown.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I hope the Indians can somehow turn this around. The chances of making the playoffs are slim and none. But they've played too hard this season to finish so poorly.

I hope they are able to make some sort of trade(s) to find more bodies. There is not much left in Columbus to call up. (Although I could think of one guy).
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:17 pm

a lot of guys have seriously regressed to the mean, since our 30-15 start this team has been a disaster if they could have played even close to 500 we would have made the play offs, but that is just not happening.

Just a shame, but we had a year that was a lot more fun then most expected, but it looks like most everyone will be right the Indians will finish middle of the pack in this division
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:29 pm

jellis wrote:a lot of guys have seriously regressed to the mean, since our 30-15 start this team has been a disaster if they could have played even close to 500 we would have made the play offs, but that is just not happening.

Just a shame, but we had a year that was a lot more fun then most expected, but it looks like most everyone will be right the Indians will finish middle of the pack in this division

Middle of the pack is a bit better than most thought ( I had them winning the division with 86 wins.. alas. that's looking mighty bleak... 23-12 over the last 35 seems beyond their capability).. At the outset of the year, most had the Indians and Royals fighting it out to see who would avoid being in the cellar... that's not the case..

but what Indians fans have seen.. this team has some talent.. has some growing up to do.. and has some holes that will need to be filled...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Heath Bell claimed by SF. Kubel and Thome have also been claimed, both presumably by CWS. Carlos Pena also claimed, team unknown.

Seems as though the Yanks claimed Pena.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Bottomline....... FO gets a big fat F for gearing this team for a play-off run... Not getting A SINGLE RH bat, trading yr top 2 SP prospects (IMO) and and decimating a position of strength going forward...And allowing the tigers to fortify their team with Young... Kind of funny but if the sox get both Thome and Kubel..... They could be the team to challenge the tigers and coincidently level the playing field enough for the tribe to still have a chance..... I doubt that was the plan.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Reports are saying that the White Sox did not put in a claim for Thome....the Indians did. If true, the Indians are on the clock to complete a deal with the Twins within the 48 1/2 hour window. So by the next game on Friday Thome will be in the Indians lineup or still with the Twins.

I don't foresee the Indians having to give up much....maybe a Goedert or Head or some other career minor leaguer for him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Ozzie Guillen says he would love to bring Jim Thome back to Chicago. Looks like the price just went up.

Even if the White Sox had put in a claim, that would determine which team Thome could be traded to, but it would have zero impact on his trading price.

The only team that can deal for Thome is the one with the worst record that placed a waiver claim (which appears to be Cleveland). The Twins then a have a limited time to (1) work out a deal with that team, or (2) simply transfer his contract to that team, or (3) choose to revoke the trade waivers and keep him. What they can't do is repeat this process with Thome again this season, which means there's no driving up his price -- it's either deal him to the one claiming team now or keep him for the remainder of the season.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 am

TonyIPI wrote:Reports are saying that the White Sox did not put in a claim for Thome....the Indians did. If true, the Indians are on the clock to complete a deal with the Twins within the 48 1/2 hour window. So by the next game on Friday Thome will be in the Indians lineup or still with the Twins.

I don't foresee the Indians having to give up much....maybe a Goedert or Head or some other career minor leaguer for him.

+1

The Twins are a team that prides itself on playing the game the right way.. fundamentally sound...etc. The ownership of the Twins & their front office would be of the ilk to understand that Jim Thome has a desire to finish his career where it started... and make a deal. Head or Goedert or even Wes Hodges, Trevor Crowe or Tim Fedroff could be the player.. or cash considerations.. Either way, Big Jim Thome should be back at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario wearing # 25 on his back and Chief Wahoo on his sleeve.. I can hardly wait for the "... gee, awe shucks.." comments..

The only credible source in Chicago provided a telling response regarding the CWSox's claim:

Asked if those speculating (about putting a claim in for Jim Thome) were barking up the wrong tree, general manager Ken Williams replied with a one-word text message: “Yes.”

btw..I was Paul Hoynes who did the reporting..so in the FWIW column, Hoynes also claimed that the CWSox did and did not put in a claim on Thome.. In other words.. he was the first reporter to break the news that something may have or may not have happened.. Hoynes must really love sitting on that fence... :rolleyes:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:12 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Bottomline....... FO gets a big fat F for gearing this team for a play-off run... Not getting A SINGLE RH bat, trading yr top 2 SP prospects (IMO) and and decimating a position of strength going forward...And allowing the tigers to fortify their team with Young... Kind of funny but if the sox get both Thome and Kubel..... They could be the team to challenge the tigers and coincidently level the playing field enough for the tribe to still have a chance..... I doubt that was the plan.

Indians rotation was ranked 11th out of 14 teams when they dealt for Ubaldo. Offense was 7th out of 14 in runs per game. They have only 1 above average starting pitcher (per ERA+) in Masterson. They had the largest gap between their #1 starter (Masterson) and #2 starter (Tomlin) in the entire AL...

Fair enough if you disagree with the Ubaldo trade, but acting like we didn't need help in the rotation is completely inaccurate.

A RH bat would have been nice, but the only one that would have helped was Pence...and based off what the Phillies gave up, you'd have had to have offered White and Pom to get him (and that's assuming the Astros would have accepted the hurt White). Young? he was hitting worse than LaPorta and the guys we had in the OF.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm

According to MLBTR, Thome has accepted the deal.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm

All over Twitter that it's a done deal for a PTBNL
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 pm

And now the official Tribe twitter feed confirms

http://twitter.com/#!/tribeinsider/stat ... 7092101120
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Going to be interesting to see what 25-man move is made for Thome....

Duncan has hit well of late. Maybe Brantley finally goes on the DL? :dunno:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Going to be interesting to see what 25-man move is made for Thome....

Yes.. brantley will be put onto the 15 day DL retro to his last appearance.. so, when rosters expand in less than a week, he can be activated without issue..

A Banner Day for Indians Fans.. Welcome back to the wigwam Big Jim Thome !!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Going to be interesting to see what 25-man move is made for Thome....

Yes.. brantley will be put onto the 15 day DL retro to his last appearance.. so, when rosters expand in less than a week, he can be activated without issue..

A Banner Day for Indians Fans.. Welcome back to the wigwam Big Jim Thome !!

The question is, can Choo play though or is his "trunk" still aching?

If not and Brantley hits the DL, we may have to see Duncan in the OF for an extended period..... ugh!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indiansfan055 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Excited to see Thome back with the Indians. Likely more of a public relations move, but you never know as there is still a month of baseball left. Either way, I have to hand it to the Indians front office this year. They were aggressive with promotions and trades. They took some risks and that has to be respected. Either way, it will be nice to see Thome take a few more swings in an Indians uniform.
indiansfan055
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:21 am

Wonderful story by Stephanie Storm at Ohio.com:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/indians-dill ... r-1.231603

The story provides some insight into the personal make up of Dillon Howard, Indians second round pick.

It's a good read... :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Wonderful story by Stephanie Storm at Ohio.com:

The story provides some insight into the personal make up of Dillon Howard, Indians second round pick.

Great Stuff GSon. Thank you for posting!
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Brantley and Tomlin to the DL.

Thome officially added and Hagadone promoted. For those of you going to the game tonight, we may get to see not just the return of Thome, but Hags debut as well (though ubaldo could go the distance) :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:37 pm

According to Ken Rosenthal, we're the team that claimed Jason Kubel, not the White Sox.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

BrianM wrote:

Great Stuff GSon. Thank you for posting!

I agree good find, I work with the populace and stories like these are always so heartening to the families I work with when I tell them about it.

On the baseball side got to love the maturity that Howard showed in that article, and until then I had no clue about his family. He seems like the definition of grounded
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 am

Mlbtraderumors is reporting BJ Upton was claimed on waivers not sure by who, but the Tribe was interested and he is a RH bat that could help out the lineup. Just saying a Upton trade is now 'on the clock'.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 am

@ Geronimo Son... Good story, sounds like Dillon Howard is pretty mature. Situations and circumstances can definitely influence an individual. Professional move by Howard. I hope and pray the best for Dillon Howard and family.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Sounds like a great kid. Glad to have him aboard. Seems like something the Cleveland Indians Charities ought to look into matching. Would be a great gesture & I'm sure appreciated.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Mlbtraderumors is reporting BJ Upton was claimed on waivers not sure by who, but the Tribe was interested and he is a RH bat that could help out the lineup. Just saying a Upton trade is now 'on the clock'.

Hi homer, got a call from my brother who said the Indians are trying to claim Upton but haven't gotten the award. He heard about it and the player from the Indians that Tampa wants is Raffy perez and as much else as they can get. Not sure how Perez gets thru waivers but it might explain the Hagadone and Berger moves which were both a bit of a surprize to me.

I have to confess that even with his problems at the bat and being a general underperformer, I still like the idea of Upton's defense in CF and power/speed combination. It looks to me like he would be affordable next year if Sizemore's and Johnson's options for next year are not exercised. But I still have trouble figuring out how the Indians get players to Tampa that Tampa can actually use. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Brantley is done for the year with a broken hamate bone..... placed on the 60-day DL.

Hagadone optioned back to AAA and Jared Head called up.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors