RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: 2011 Cleveland Indians Game Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 am

Agree with Prosecutor. When Grady comes back later this month you ease him back into the lineup. I would expect when he initially comes back he is hitting 7th or 8th.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am

TonyIPI wrote:Agree with Prosecutor. When Grady comes back later this month you ease him back into the lineup. I would expect when he initially comes back he is hitting 7th or 8th.

I would not be too shocked to see him split some time with Kearns as well. Looks to me like Buck will be the odd man out but I think it will be interesting where he plays defensively. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ClevBuck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 pm

This thread is a fail of a game thread
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:01 am

Good to see the Indians winning on the road.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:11 am

It's very early, of course, but man is this team looking good. Brings to mind '07, we're just catching all the breaks and finding ways to win. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but we may be in for a special year. There's no doubt in my mind we lose tonight's game last year. Another good series in LA and see if we can get 15,000 in the house against Baltimore. :lol:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

ChadS17 wrote:It's very early, of course, but man is this team looking good. Brings to mind '07, we're just catching all the breaks and finding ways to win. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but we may be in for a special year. There's no doubt in my mind we lose tonight's game last year. Another good series in LA and see if we can get 15,000 in the house against Baltimore. :lol:

Hey man, the way the season is going so far, us versus Baltimore could be a battle between the 1st and 2nd best records in the AL! Baltimore is no pushover anymore. They have solid starting pitching and made some nice additions in the offseason.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:22 am

entertheshoe wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:It's very early, of course, but man is this team looking good. Brings to mind '07, we're just catching all the breaks and finding ways to win. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but we may be in for a special year. There's no doubt in my mind we lose tonight's game last year. Another good series in LA and see if we can get 15,000 in the house against Baltimore. :lol:

Hey man, the way the season is going so far, us versus Baltimore could be a battle between the 1st and 2nd best records in the AL! Baltimore is no pushover anymore. They have solid starting pitching and made some nice additions in the offseason.

Yes, they're looking good. Wasn't knocking Baltimore at all. Just saying that if we can't get 10,000 on Opening Weekend, I'm eager to see what kind of support they get now that they're playing well.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby artgold » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:05 am

Indians looking much better than I anticipated so far, especially the starting pitching. Hope to see it hold up, I'd be glad to be wrong about the strength of our rotation.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 am

A few notes on the second Seattle game (Indians win 2-1):

Justin Masterson has more movement on his pitches than Fausto..

Travis Buck looks like he's trying too hard..

Matt LaPorta seems to be waaaaaaaay more comfortable at the plate than I've ever seen.. he is patient and has made some very good scoops and picks around the bag defensively..

When Manny started batting Orlando Cabrera behind Hafner, I thought?. why would anyone pitch to PRONK? (*of course, being a long standing Hafner fan, this season's start has been truly wonderful). Well, chalk this up to "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

First place in the AL Central.. and pulling away.. woot ! :drinks: :clapping:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 pm

So... has Chad Durbin had one decent outing thus far? He probably has a longer leash given his track record over the last 3 years and his contract, but I wonder what his deal is so far.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Edible14 wrote:So... has Chad Durbin had one decent outing thus far? He probably has a longer leash given his track record over the last 3 years and his contract, but I wonder what his deal is so far.

Yeah, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, but he hasn't been that good at all. He was impressive in the Boston game where he struck out Youk, but that was .1 inning. We lack a righty that we can count on late in games right now and they are hoping he is that. Until one of the other three guys (Germano, Herrmann, Pestano) emerges, I'm sure they're gonna wait him out.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Not to imply that I am worried at all about Carlos Santana, this is just a way of making this winning streak more impressive. Since the Chicago series, he is 3 for his last 21, which is a .143 average. This lineup is pretty hot right now, can't wait until we get Choo and Santana REALLY going and a healthy Grady Sizemore. :drinks:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Purple Glow » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

I remember listening to Indians postgame shows on the radio in the 1990s. When the Indians would go on a tear and sweep a couple series or win 10 in a row, the phone lines would be absolutely DEAD. They might get one call, and it would be from some strange person who was angry about the parking or a bad bunt decision in the most recent 12-2 rout the team had won.

If the Indians were on some 10 game win streak, and then they lost ONE game, the next postgame radio show would be PACKED with irate callers, complaining about every little thing, some would start demanding the lineup get shuffled, or Grover fired. It was sad, pathetic, and hilarious, all at once.

So memories of those days, and the way the Indians have started out of the gate in 2011, drew me to this thread. The first two weeks have provided an interesting case study. They started out in the first two games getting bombed, then they had a day off, and now have won 7 straight and swept two teams.

This thread is now 3 pages old, let's check out the "bitterness index" of the Cleveland fan.

50 posts per page, now on page 3.

Number of posts before season start: 13
Posts made between first loss and first win (bringing team record to 1-2): 26
Posts made while team was under .500 (4 days total) : 45
Posts made while team was at .500 or above (6 days total): 53

April 1st: 12 posts
April 2nd: 9 posts
April 3rd: 15 posts
April 4th: 10 posts

April 5th: 8 posts
April 6th: 1 post
April 7th: 17 posts
April 8th: 13 posts
April 9th: 12 posts
April 10th: 4 posts
April 11th: 0 posts (so far) Actually 1 (mine).

So here we are, on a 7 game win streak, and 4 posts yesterday, and 0 so far today. Nothing to complain about. Phone lines looking dead!
Purple Glow
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm

They need to play day games when on the west coast........How's that for the rage index :biggrin:

In all seriousness, the minor leagues were not going on when they were in the Chicago series. Guys on this site follow both the majors and minors. While the team was below average, there was no competition.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

daingean wrote:They need to play day games when on the west coast........How's that for the rage index :biggrin:

In all seriousness, the minor leagues were not going on when they were in the Chicago series. Guys on this site follow both the majors and minors. While the team was below average, there was no competition.

The night games are OK for me. I get the chance to play with Donald and Goofy and knotts during the day and cheer the tribe on at night. Not a bad deal from my POV. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm

daingean wrote:They need to play day games when on the west coast........How's that for the rage index :biggrin:

I tend to post more when the team is going good. Whining all of the time isn't a welcome thing. A long while ago, when my daughter was a little girl, I heard her praying to God to let the Indians win so that her Dad would be in a good mood. I know most Tribe fans can relate. Since then I've tried to be the upbeat, glass-half-full kinda guy.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:39 pm

We missed Felix in Seattle & now we should miss Jered Weaver in Cal. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

MLB Network: "Tribe taking on the red-hot Angels tonight." -Tells you all you need to know about the respect we get from the national media.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

ChadS17 wrote:MLB Network: "Tribe taking on the red-hot Angels tonight." -Tells you all you need to know about the respect we get from the national media.

Asdrubal!!!! That's all ya' need to know right now :yahoo: :yahoo:

edit: Matty Laporta - does it too!!!!
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 am

PurpleGlow I agree (and welcome). It's the sad nature of talk shows and message boards which often slants heavily to a cess pool of negatively and bitch fests. Some sites/shows are unbearable.

I think that's just human nature though. We don't go calling the electric company or cable company and say "hey, great service!". We only call when we get a jacked bill or the power/cable goes on the fritz!
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 am

What especially galls me is when a host says that winning is getting "boring". Winning is never boring. Losing can get boring. Winning can't.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

Rotation has really been remarkable the first 10 games, much better than I had even thought possible.

Should be fun to see if they can sustain their performances.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am

Welcome to the site Purple whatever.. Bitterness index.. hmm... The title seems to be genuine. Here is a possible take that is shared by more than a few..I'd call it the Nixonian Silent Majority: There is too much of a risk in being wrong by going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on that limb: Saying the Tribe has the players/pieces to contend !! Manny Acta said it.. Chris Antonnetti said it.. Mark Shapiro has said it, almost too many times to be considered credible.. Mr Dolan hasn't said anything, lately. He knows the last time he was publicly optimimistic it turned into a morass of excuses/reason/whining for spending when the time was right.. Oh how he wishes he could recall / rescind that statement !. We all know that Mr Dolan hasn't spent money on a diminishing return that defines what Free Agents amount to since signing Kerry Wood. The people / fans of Northeast Ohio truly don't cherish the gift that is having a major league franchise. They would rather pay for PSL's, nothing more than a money grab, while filling the sparkling new publicly paid for Browns Stadium where they can watch one of the poorest run professional sports franchise in the history of cleveland sports: the Browns. <shrugs>

But is this really a bitterness index?.. or is it a means to shield the embarassment of having a team that doesn't win every year or come close? As has been stated in several posts.. it's a lot easier on the psyche to denigrate the team in the event they lose, thereby, being able to claim "I was right.. we stink!" as opposed to "risking" the fragile ego by going out on a limb and claiming.. if everything goes well, the team might be able to break even? Sounds like a hedge bet, to say the least...

Are the Indians really so good that even the "rusty mikes" of the world have nothing to offer?..Small sample size says yes.. but, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. Sprinting out to an 8-2 record has created the situation where the nay-sayers have nothing better to do that just S.T.F.U. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 am

A few observations from the 4-0 win last evening, April 11th:

-Droobs' homer was a lightening bolt.. damn!! did he hit that one hard.. He must be eating his Wheaties.. Droobs has also continues to pick up his defense. His slinging throws to Laporta are frozen ropes...

-Jack Hannahan is hitting the ball, catching the ball and throwing the ball.. that barehanded grab and throw of Bourjos's tapper was spectacular.. You won't see many better "charge" plays than that in any season.

-Unleash the Fury that is Mitchie Mitch Talbot: His changeup was way better than his first outing.

-Matt LaPorta: His defense continues to be very good, and, as was stated in an earlier post, his "comfort" level at the plate is allowing him to "see ball / hit ball" HARD..

-Carlos Santana needs a day off. Manny will fix it.

-FAUSTO tonight against one tough hombre in Dan Haren.. should be a goooooood matchup...See you in the funny pages....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Not to imply that I am worried at all about Carlos Santana, this is just a way of making this winning streak more impressive. Since the Chicago series, he is 3 for his last 21, which is a .143 average. This lineup is pretty hot right now, can't wait until we get Choo and Santana REALLY going and a healthy Grady Sizemore. :drinks:

Andyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Drop Santana to 5th, slide Grady into the 2-hole, and move Babe Asdrubal Cabrera to the cleanup spot once Grady is back? :drinks: (ha, kiddin)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Not to imply that I am worried at all about Carlos Santana, this is just a way of making this winning streak more impressive. Since the Chicago series, he is 3 for his last 21, which is a .143 average. This lineup is pretty hot right now, can't wait until we get Choo and Santana REALLY going and a healthy Grady Sizemore. :drinks:

Andyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Drop Santana to 5th, slide Grady into the 2-hole, and move Babe Asdrubal Cabrera to the cleanup spot once Grady is back? :drinks: (ha, kiddin)

One thing you could do is hit Grady third, Choo fourth, and Santana fifth. I don't like Grady at the top of the order, especially not as much as Brantley and Cabrera. You could make a case that he is the biggest power bad we have, IF HEALTHY.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

One thing you could do is hit Grady third, Choo fourth, and Santana fifth. I don't like Grady at the top of the order, especially not as much as Brantley and Cabrera. You could make a case that he is the biggest power bad we have, IF HEALTHY.

Starting to think this is the way they go (Sizemore 3rd) IF his bat is up to it. Brantley and Acab are a great 1 - 2 so far no need to mess with that. i guess he could be plugged into the 5th hole too,, but Hafner looks good there. So my guess, once Grady is in the line-up regularly he bats 3rd and pushes everyone down a slot. Or he bats 7th behind Ocab.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Starting to think this is the way they go (Sizemore 3rd) IF his bat is up to it. Brantley and Acab are a great 1 - 2 so far no need to mess with that. i guess he could be plugged into the 5th hole too,, but Hafner looks good there. So my guess, once Grady is in the line-up regularly he bats 3rd and pushes everyone down a slot. Or he bats 7th behind Ocab.

My point is exactly what you're saying, DO NOT mess with the top of the order. My guess is he starts off 6th or 7th then moves his way up to 3rd once he proves he's back and completely healthy.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm

O-Cab is swinging a nice bat so far, but ultimately, he's not going to be an offensive force. When Grady is activated, I'd start by batting him sixth behind Hafner. If Pronk keeps hitting, but O-Cab returns to career norms... well then even if Grady has some rust to work off, he still has enough of a reputation/track record to make opponents keep pitching to Pronk. I'm not sure where to bat Sizemore long-term if everyone keeps hitting, but a lot can change in a couple of months anyway.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:O-Cab is swinging a nice bat so far, but ultimately, he's not going to be an offensive force. When Grady is activated, I'd start by batting him sixth behind Hafner. If Pronk keeps hitting, but O-Cab returns to career norms... well then even if Grady has some rust to work off, he still has enough of a reputation/track record to make opponents keep pitching to Pronk. I'm not sure where to bat Sizemore long-term if everyone keeps hitting, but a lot can change in a couple of months anyway.

I thought of that but I cringe at the thought of a speedy sizemore trapped behind Pronk. At least with Ocab in the 6th hole - its kinda like a poor mans lead off spot with Grady your #2 and LaPorta yr #3. Gonna be interesting if Grady can swing the bat like he used to which is still quite a mystery.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 pm

With Grady coming off the DL.. having made some progress towards regaining his timing and batting eye.. it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see Manny put Grady at the BOTTOM of the lineup.. hitting 9th. Putting two leadoff guys back to back with droobs and the rest as is makes some sense at the outset of his return. As Grady regains his confidence and stamina.. he can be moved to a more appropriate location in the batting order.

We'll see.. Manny doesn't seem to have a "set in stone" mentality about the lineup.. but it's clear, he likes it set for the most part....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:38 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I thought of that but I cringe at the thought of a speedy sizemore trapped behind Pronk. At least with Ocab in the 6th hole - its kinda like a poor mans lead off spot with Grady your #2 and LaPorta yr #3. Gonna be interesting if Grady can swing the bat like he used to which is still quite a mystery.

*shrug*

The situation where two players both reach base and the speed of one really has a negative effect on the other is such a rarity that I'd never consider it a factor in setting a lineup (well, maybe if we were talking about putting a plodder in front of a stolen base champ for the long-term)... since it's unlikely that Grady is going to be attempting a lot of stolen bases or be ultra aggressive on the base paths his first month or two back in the lineup, regardless of who's in front of him, I certainly wouldn't think twice about it.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I thought of that but I cringe at the thought of a speedy sizemore trapped behind Pronk. At least with Ocab in the 6th hole - its kinda like a poor mans lead off spot with Grady your #2 and LaPorta yr #3. Gonna be interesting if Grady can swing the bat like he used to which is still quite a mystery.

*shrug*

The situation where two players both reach base and the speed of one really has a negative effect on the other is such a rarity that I'd never consider it a factor in setting a lineup (well, maybe if we were talking about putting a plodder in front of a stolen base champ for the long-term)... since it's unlikely that Grady is going to be attempting a lot of stolen bases or be ultra aggressive on the base paths his first month or two back in the lineup, regardless of who's in front of him, I certainly wouldn't think twice about it.

but if Sizemore is on in front of Pronk, Pronk will get more fastballs to hit. That's how speed will make a line-up better. I'd rather Pronk get more fast balls than OCab.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Indians Magic Number: 152! :clapping:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

daingean wrote:but if Sizemore is on in front of Pronk, Pronk will get more fastballs to hit. That's how speed will make a line-up better. I'd rather Pronk get more fast balls than OCab.

Not unless he's really a threat to run, and I just don't see that happening in his first month or two back from serious knee surgery.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
daingean wrote:but if Sizemore is on in front of Pronk, Pronk will get more fastballs to hit. That's how speed will make a line-up better. I'd rather Pronk get more fast balls than OCab.

Not unless he's really a threat to run, and I just don't see that happening in his first month or two back from serious knee surgery.

It's not always about if/when he will run. If they don't pay attention to Grady he will go. He will also go 1st to third on hits to right. He will also make teams have to alter the Pronk shift. If Grady is on 1st, Pronk will see more fast balls. More than if/when Santana is on first.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Carmona is pitching well, but there has to be concern about the number of long balls he is giving up. A shame if he gets a loss after another sterling outing though.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Not too sure about Grady hitting right after Hafner. Not a huge fan of batting two of our stronger lefties back to back as that will make our 7th/8th innings pretty difficult if they face a lefty specialist.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

After the error by ACAB, I knew it would be a bad inning, Carasco just gets unhinged too easy
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Not too sure about Grady hitting right after Hafner. Not a huge fan of batting two of our stronger lefties back to back as that will make our 7th/8th innings pretty difficult if they face a lefty specialist.

This team is so left handed....I don't see it making that much of a difference.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Umm..ChiSox pen their weakness? Sale, Santos, Crain, Thornton...that's pretty tough. The Sox are very strong in every aspect of their club. Defense a little shaky, especially in the outfield, but they are very good.

The White Sox bullpen is keeping them out of first place so far. Matt Thornton has blown all 4 of his save opportunties, is 0-2, and has a 7.71 ERA. Chris Sale faced 3 batters today who all scored, raising his ERA to 7.36, but Tony Pena had a scoreless appearance that dropped his ERA all the way to 11.25. Of course, their mop-up man Will Ohman is still trying to recover from getting knocked around twice by the Indians, and is sporting an 11.57 ERA.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Umm..ChiSox pen their weakness? Sale, Santos, Crain, Thornton...that's pretty tough. The Sox are very strong in every aspect of their club. Defense a little shaky, especially in the outfield, but they are very good.

The White Sox bullpen is keeping them out of first place so far. Matt Thornton has blown all 4 of his save opportunties, is 0-2, and has a 7.71 ERA. Chris Sale faced 3 batters today who all scored, raising his ERA to 7.36, but Tony Pena had a scoreless appearance that dropped his ERA all the way to 11.25. Of course, their mop-up man Will Ohman is still trying to recover from getting knocked around twice by the Indians, and is sporting an 11.57 ERA.

I apologize for that post. I was actually thinking about that just a minute ago.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm

I have supported Acta all along, but the use of the bullpen tonight was stupid. First off you take your closer out of the game then you put Durbin in when you had R. Perez available.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
Pork Chop Pough wrote:

I apologize for that post. I was actually thinking about that just a minute ago.

Oh, I wasn't even involved in the initial exchange about their bullpen, and they do have some talent in those arms. I just remembered the back-and-forth because of how badly they're doing, and I do think it's questionable anytime you move a really effective lefty out of that role and into the closer role. They thought it was a luxury of depth with a full season of Sale, but it's been a downgrade in both roles so far.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm

As much as Durbin was at fault, this offense blew many chances today. If we want to be above 500 this year we have to take better advantage. Its amazing we have played as well as we have with Choo and Sanatana both being crap
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 am

jellis wrote:As much as Durbin was at fault, this offense blew many chances today. If we want to be above 500 this year we have to take better advantage. Its amazing we have played as well as we have with Choo and Sanatana both being crap

Kinda surprised Santana hasnt been dropped to the 5th hole for a game or two, he is slumping for sure. Choo is getting close (looks it) i hope. But you're right if Brantley or Acab kees getting on base like crazy Carlos and Choo are going to have to play huge to keep this team in it. The rest of the offensive fire power is TBD. Jayson Nix is off to a nice start as a blue jay. Loving the LaPorta roller coaster too. Ok not as much.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

criznit2009 wrote:
jellis wrote:As much as Durbin was at fault, this offense blew many chances today. If we want to be above 500 this year we have to take better advantage. Its amazing we have played as well as we have with Choo and Sanatana both being crap

Kinda surprised Santana hasnt been dropped to the 5th hole for a game or two, he is slumping for sure. Choo is getting close (looks it) i hope. But you're right if Brantley or Acab kees getting on base like crazy Carlos and Choo are going to have to play huge to keep this team in it. The rest of the offensive fire power is TBD. Jayson Nix is off to a nice start as a blue jay. Loving the LaPorta roller coaster too. Ok not as much.

I'm not a fan of playing musical chairs with the lineup. Santana is our best cleanup hitting candidate on the team and that is his future spot, so just leave him there. Now, a month or so from now if he is still struggling, I can see it. But you have to ride him out for now. Same with Choo. Both of them are the best guys on the team for the 3-4 role and where they both will be the next few years. If anything Santana just needs a day off to recharge and reassess.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Agree here. Most frustrating part was when we had runner on 3rd no outs....and Hafner and O-Cab as the next two hitters. Those vets gotta get it done in situations like that. Instead, Hafner doesn't even put the ball in play and O-Cab grounds into the DP.

Then of course Choo getting picked off 3B by the catcher to end the inning is flat out unexcusable.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 pm

jellis wrote:After the error by ACAB, I knew it would be a bad inning, Carasco just gets unhinged too easy

Agree....though he at least he settled down after teh HR and got the next 3 guys out. But yeah, he needs to learn to focus and shake stuff like that off. It's the main thing holding him back from really taking his game to the next level. A lot of times the difference between an Ace and a 2-3 starter isn't their stuff...but their mental makeup. To me Carrasco falls into that category right now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Herrmann optioned out today. Smith expected to be activated tomorrow.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors