RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

The Book

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

The Book

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Well the mailman brought my copy of the 2011 Top 100 Prospects & more today. (Who says the USPS is slow?)
I was wowed with last years version, but this one is even better. I love the tool grades chart. If you don't have time to read the article on Travis Turek, just check the chart. Should be required reading for any media type covering the Tribe.
Great job, Tony. :s_thumbsup

If I have any suggestion, it would be for bigger photographs. I know that means more pages and expense. But we would be able to see exactly how skinny Gionanni Soto really is.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: The Book

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Well the mailman brought my copy of the 2011 Top 100 Prospects & more today. (Who says the USPS is slow?)
I was wowed with last years version, but this one is even better. I love the tool grades chart. If you don't have time to read the article on Travis Turek, just check the chart. Should be required reading for any media type covering the Tribe.

If I have any suggestion, it would be for bigger photographs. I know that means more pages and expense. But we would be able to see exactly how skinny Gionanni Soto really is.

Take book look directly at front cover. Turn book 90 degrees so that the spine is facing you. He's just a hair chunkier that that :s_biggrin
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:34 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Well the mailman brought my copy of the 2011 Top 100 Prospects & more today. (Who says the USPS is slow?)

Thanks. I'm adding more and more bells and whistles to it every year, and by popular request I added the tool grades to quickly summarize the guys. They are simple, but a quick way for someone to get an idea what kind of pitcher/player they are and also their value.

I was looking at the first one I put out on a whim in 2008....and comparing it to the books since. Thing took a leap in "quality" in regard to the eye test last year, and I think it took another this year.

Thanks again for the support! We'll make a special version next year with bigger pictures for you old timers. :biggrin:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 pm

TonyIPI wrote: Thanks again for the support! We'll make a special version next year with bigger pictures for you old timers. :biggrin:

Just so long as there is a version with large enough type-font to read. I swear it looks like the BA book went with even smaller font this year.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:30 am

Tony ... love the book. Thanks for all your work. I like the transaction history within the profile of each player but think the list in the back is redundant. I like how you rank the prospects by position as it shows our strength and weaknesses. One thing that I would like to see is some way to rank the prospects by draft class or international signing class with their signing bonus. I think it would be an interesting conversation where the money is best spent ... For example, this year's list will show the 2010/11 draft class is clearly a winner (or over hyped until their polish dulls) and international signings are way off this year as Rondon and DeLaCruz have fallen off and the newer class is not quite there yet.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:07 pm

petes999 wrote:Tony ... love the book. Thanks for all your work. I like the transaction history within the profile of each player but think the list in the back is redundant. I like how you rank the prospects by position as it shows our strength and weaknesses. One thing that I would like to see is some way to rank the prospects by draft class or international signing class with their signing bonus. I think it would be an interesting conversation where the money is best spent ... For example, this year's list will show the 2010/11 draft class is clearly a winner (or over hyped until their polish dulls) and international signings are way off this year as Rondon and DeLaCruz have fallen off and the newer class is not quite there yet.

Thanks Pete. Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, the transaction history under each player is just simple movement up/down and DL. The transaction history in the back of the book is just a way to kind of see all the moves at once and provides sort of a history of the season where you can see who along with x player was moved. So why I kept it in there. As for the signing bonus stuff, I will be honest, but the Indians are not going to publicize that stuff. They will give out some of the higher profile ones, but no way will they provide all the signing bonuses for the draft and Latin guys. Especially the Latin guys as it hurts them when those numbers are made public, and really, teams don't publicly share it.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Got my book today. Love it. I've been getting these for three years now and it's been a great improvement every year. Continue the great work, Tony. It's all appreciated by Tribe fans everywhere.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:34 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
petes999 wrote:Tony ... love the book. Thanks for all your work. I like the transaction history within the profile of each player but think the list in the back is redundant. I like how you rank the prospects by position as it shows our strength and weaknesses. One thing that I would like to see is some way to rank the prospects by draft class or international signing class with their signing bonus. I think it would be an interesting conversation where the money is best spent ... For example, this year's list will show the 2010/11 draft class is clearly a winner (or over hyped until their polish dulls) and international signings are way off this year as Rondon and DeLaCruz have fallen off and the newer class is not quite there yet.

Thanks Pete. Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, the transaction history under each player is just simple movement up/down and DL. The transaction history in the back of the book is just a way to kind of see all the moves at once and provides sort of a history of the season where you can see who along with x player was moved. So why I kept it in there. As for the signing bonus stuff, I will be honest, but the Indians are not going to publicize that stuff. They will give out some of the higher profile ones, but no way will they provide all the signing bonuses for the draft and Latin guys. Especially the Latin guys as it hurts them when those numbers are made public, and really, teams don't publicly share it.

Spent last nigh and the rest of thios weekend with this book wherever I go. Love it. Have gotten them all, and each year you ytake it to another level. Very much appreciated.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:39 pm

just placed my order been out of town for a week, looking forward to this years
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:42 am

@ TonyIPI make sure you use LARGE print too for the old timers. :biggrin:

Enjoying my copy of the book when the future Tribe 1st Baseman lets me read.
Thanks for the hard work.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby wrestlecd4 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:13 am

Looking forward to my copy at the first Aeros game this year. Last year I bought it at the Aeros team shop and plan to do the same this year. Really looking forward to all the new stuff this year.
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Fundamentals » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

Keep waiting for mine to come. I keep feeling like a kid on Christmas running to the mailbox each day when I get home.
Fundamentals
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:54 am

wrestlecd4 wrote:Looking forward to my copy at the first Aeros game this year. Last year I bought it at the Aeros team shop and plan to do the same this year. Really looking forward to all the new stuff this year.

It will be interesting to see if the various shops will be carrying the book this season.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 pm

wrestlecd4 wrote:Looking forward to my copy at the first Aeros game this year. Last year I bought it at the Aeros team shop and plan to do the same this year. Really looking forward to all the new stuff this year.

Awesome....it should be there again this year. Still working it out....thanks again!
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Fundamentals wrote:Keep waiting for mine to come. I keep feeling like a kid on Christmas running to the mailbox each day when I get home.

Not sure who you are name-wise, but if you don't see anything on Monday, then please let me know!

As an FYI, the people who I emailed on Thursday night about the book going into the mail on Friday....well, the storm we got prevented the postman from picking it up so he did not pick up the packages to mail until Saturday afternoon.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:12 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:It will be interesting to see if the various shops will be carrying the book this season.

Book is all set to go at Lake County, Kinston and Mahoning Valley. Also, will be in all the Cleveland Indians team shops, including Goodyear. Supposed to fulfill a purchase order for that this week. Still working out final details with Akron again.

The only one which is unknown and appears unlikely is Columbus. It is a mystery why really as all the media and broadcasters there believe it should be in there....but the girl who runs the team shop just for whatever reason is not responding to me about it. Strange. I will keep trying though.

If I can't get it in there....I suggest any Columbus patrons to pop into the team shop throughout the season and ask why the book is not in there. :biggrin: :angel:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 am

TonyIPI wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:It will be interesting to see if the various shops will be carrying the book this season.

Book is all set to go at Lake County, Kinston and Mahoning Valley. Also, will be in all the Cleveland Indians team shops, including Goodyear. Supposed to fulfill a purchase order for that this week. Still working out final details with Akron again.

The only one which is unknown and appears unlikely is Columbus. It is a mystery why really as all the media and broadcasters there believe it should be in there....but the girl who runs the team shop just for whatever reason is not responding to me about it. Strange. I will keep trying though.

If I can't get it in there....I suggest any Columbus patrons to pop into the team shop throughout the season and ask why the book is not in there. :biggrin: :angel:

Columbus operates fairly haphazardly. From what I've heard, it's not their fault. There is so much red tape being a county-owned team that they have to do things in the "government way". One example I have heard: they can't do a true periodical program because the program is considered "government paperwork" and regulations require them to sell out an issue before putting a new one out (i.e. can't put out a new issue for a new month and sell the last one as a back issue). I don't know if this is true or not, but it would explain much about the Clips' FO.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby csowlfan26 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 am

Once again great job on the book Tony, the best of its kind in baseball.
csowlfan26
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Just bought a copy today at the Captains Team Shop (Cargo Hold) while I was there for the ticket on-sale. Impressive as usual!
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk