RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - LH Pitchers

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - LH Pitchers

Postby osueddy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I'll be posting over the next week a report ranking the Indians prospects at each position and an overall report on the position. I'll be using the same rules as Tony concerning eligibility for prospects (50 IP, 130 AB, and played stateside). The age next to the players name is for next season using the July 1 cut-off date.

Left Handed Pitcher Not Eligible: David Huff, Aaron Laffey, Tony Sipp, Rafael Perez

Prospect Ranking (Left Handed Pitchers):
1.) Drew Pomeranz (22)
2.) Nick Hagadone (25)
3.) T.J. House (21)
4.) Kelvin De La Cruz (22)
5.) Scott Barnes (23)
6.) Giovanni Soto (20)
7.) Matt Packer (23)
8.) T.J. McFarland (22)
9.) Chris Jones (22)
10.) Eric Berger (25)

The Indians left handed pitchers improved as a group dramatically over the last two years through trades and the drafting of Drew Pomeranz. Pomeranz is everything that Hagadone is and more and is three years younger. Hagadone will be 25 and back in AA to start the season partially due to his injury history, but his high walk rate (63 in 86 inn.) has to be a huge concern. I'm starting to think that we may have to count on him as a power lefty out of the pen like Matt Thornton rather than as a starter. I'm still high on House and De La Cruz, but a subpar season this year would lead me to slide them down the list 4-5 spots. Barnes performance in the Arizona Fall League will make for an exciting return to Akron. If Packer can reproduce the numbers from last year he may become a top 10 overall prospect for Cleveland. Soto was a solid trade pickup and he had good strikeout numbers (107 K in 113 inn.) as a 19 year old at Low A. I'd like to believe that all of the top ten have legitimate shots to be major league contributors in theirs careers.

Didn't Make the Cut:
Francisco Jimenez (22)
Vidal Nuno (23)
Daniel Jimenez (21)
Mike Rayl (22)
Nick Kirk (24)
Ryan Morris (23)
Harold Guerrero (21)
Kyle Petter (21)
James Reichenbach (23)
Kirk Wetmore (22)

Future Prospects From the DSL Team:
Juan Damaso (20): 5-2, 3.76, 40.2 IP 9GS. 41/11 (K/BB)
Alejandro Villa (19): 2-1, 1.34, 33.2 IP 17GP. 26/6 (K/BB)
Elvis Araujo (19): Did not pitch in 2010

Orgizational Report:
Cleveland - Huff / Laffey / Sipp / R. Perez
Columbus - Berger
Akron - Barnes / De La Cruz / Packer / McFarland / Hagadone
Kinston - Pomeranz / House / Soto / Jones / F. Jimenez
Lake County - Nuno / Kirk
Extended Spring Training - D. Jimenez / Reichenbach / Guerrero
Cut? - Morris / Wetmore / Rayl / Petter

Tim Belcher says many good things about David Huff and I can see the Indians giving him another shot as a starter to open the season. Laffey could open as the long-reliever in a battle with Germano and Tomlin. Sipp and Rafael Perez will slide into their roles in the pen. The only left I see in Columbus is Eric Berger as word is that the Tribe will make him a reliever which would speed his progress to the bigs. Akron's pitching should be amazing with Barnes, De La Cruz, and Packer starting for sure with McFarland and Hagadone making occasional starts.

Pomeranz starts the year in Kinston with a possible mid-season callup to Akron. House and Soto can continue their development as starters and Chris Jones seems destined to be somewhat of a long-reliever for now. Francisco Jimenez's numbers were solid last year at Lake County and he'll have to continue to prove himself with so many young relievers around. At Lake County, Nuno could start or be a long reliever with Nick Kirk pitching out of the pen. Ryan Morris was a 4th round pick in '06, but his time with the Tribe may be up. Wetmore has proven little in 2 years and Rayl has just as much of a shot to make the Lake County roster as Nuno, but he could return to EST.

It's tough to talk about just one part of the pitching prospects, but the Indians have some high ceiling guys among the lefties. I think we would all like to see Pomeranz in the rotation by 2013 and the dream that maybe Hagadone could still be a starter. I wouldn't mind him as a lefty in the pen with Chris Perez, Rob Bryson, Joshy Judy, and Bryce Stowell someday (I hope Knapp can start too!). Pitchers like Barnes, De La Cruz, Packer, McFarland, House, and Soto have much to show over the next two years if they want to crack what should be a strong Indians rotation in 2013. As I've said before, if things develop like we hope, and number of these prospects could be trade possibilities during a playoff run as early as 2012.
Last edited by osueddy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Re: 2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - LH Pitc

Postby daingean » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I think that I'd have KDLaC at #3 but that is probably splitting hairs. If Hagadone is moved to the BP full time then I'd move KDLaC above him too.

As for Hagadone's walks, I see that delaying his ETA somewhat but tall lefties develop late (see Randy Johnson's career - upper 20's before he really started to dominate). Plus he's still getting a feel for his pitches since TJ surgery (command is the last thing to come). I hope the Indians keep at SP this year as muscle memory is the best thing for improving command.

Pom could be a quick riser and the lefty we have been waiting for since trading away Lee.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Couple Comment / additions:

Matt Packer: I'd be inclined to give a bit of a boost to Matt Packer.. his fastball, while not a super velo burner.. seemed like it went DOWN all the time.. when hitters were making contact, it was as if his pitches were knocking the bat out of their hands..No one seemed to square up the ball on him. His slider can be a wipe out pitch.. too. If he can't make it as a starter.. he could become an effective bullpen arm as he throws strikes early in the count, in the middle of the count.. and to complete at bats.. This is a good young pitcher with a lot of upside...

+1 for Dain on control and post TJ Surgery / recovery..

Scott Barnes' AFL could be the start of a coming out party.. both him and Giovanni Soto had wonderful AFL's.. let's see if their progress continues as they wend their way through the Indians minor leagues..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I think in the end, Hagadon ends up being a bust. At 25, his command is nowhere near where it should be. His window is starting to close. Personally, outside of Pomeranz and Soto and possibly House, I don't see anything there to get overly excited about.

Hopefully, a couple of them step up and push themselves up the list but I view most of them as BOR type prospects.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Another nice list eddy. It would be easy to quibble about the individual rankings, often a matter of preference among our posters, but I think your top 10 is an accurate compilation of the organizational talent. The most interesting battle in the top 10 may be whether they start or relieve since most have the talent to be fringe or better ML players. :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby osueddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I forgot about Elvis Araujo as a player from the DSL team that hasn't played stateside yet. I missed him since he hasn't pitched in awhile.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Return to Indians Prospect Talk