RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Nationals Sign Matt Whitney

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Nationals Sign Matt Whitney

Postby npc29 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:49 pm

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals and first baseman Matt Whitney have agreed to terms on a Minor League contract, with an invitation to Spring Training, according to Whitney's representative, Jim Munsey.

Whitney, who was Washington's top pick in the 2007 Rule 5 Draft, went 3-for-26 with a home run and six RBIs last spring before being sent back to Class A Kinston in late March.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Looks like Whitney had no interest in sticking around. Don't blame him, he'll probably have a better chance at making the Major Leagues with a team like Washington.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Re: Nationals Sign Matt Whitney

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Well, I'm a little disappointed that he didn't re-sign with the Tribe after the money and time they invested in him throughout his injuries. But, that said, 1B wasn't exactly an easy path for him to make the majors with the Tribe so it's understandable that he's signed elsewhere.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Yeah, I am working on the org chart as we speak and I was just about to post that I think Matt is as good as gone. If there was a spot for him in Columbus, I would think he might have returned and/or the Indians may have tried to retain him. But with Aubrey and Brown likely the 1B/DH combo and Head and Goleski likely on the team, just no room at 1B and DH.

Good luck to Matt though. Wish him all the best.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:08 pm

I guess Matt liked what he saw of the Nationals organization when there during Spring Training last season.

Best of Luck Matt. :s_bye
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 pm

I wish him well. He did his best for the organization. Fate intervened but he never gave up.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 am

His chances here were slim, at best, so I am glad to see him go to a place he thinks he has a shot and wish him the best of luck. That being said, it hurts me to think he could make it big somewhere else and become just another wasted first round pick who is giving someone else a return.

Regarding Goleski vs Whitney, I thake Whitney in a heartbeat every time. Goleski has shown nothing since being Rule 5'd and only spurts before then. I would be surprised if he made it out of ST.

What a waste of talent due to one freak moment!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 pm

dnosco wrote:His chances here were slim, at best, so I am glad to see him go to a place he thinks he has a shot and wish him the best of luck. That being said, it hurts me to think he could make it big somewhere else and become just another wasted first round pick who is giving someone else a return.

Regarding Goleski vs Whitney, I thake Whitney in a heartbeat every time. Goleski has shown nothing since being Rule 5'd and only spurts before then. I would be surprised if he made it out of ST.

What a waste of talent due to one freak moment!

I for once completely agree with Dennis. Isnt goleski a FA yet, we know he hates it here. Whitney was supposed to be the next superstar bat then one game and now he looks like a journey man 1B
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Whitney left simply because there was no spot for him in Triple-A with Brown and Aubrey sharing DH and 1B duties, and then with Head likely also there splitting at 1B, RF and DH. You add in Brantley, Crowe, and LaPorta in the outfield, and likely Goleski hanging on as a bench guy.....there just was nowhere for Whitney as a starter except going back to Akron where he likely would have been the DH (Mills at 1B).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 am

Consigliere wrote:Whitney left simply because there was no spot for him in Triple-A with Brown and Aubrey sharing DH and 1B duties, and then with Head likely also there splitting at 1B, RF and DH. You add in Brantley, Crowe, and LaPorta in the outfield, and likely Goleski hanging on as a bench guy.....there just was nowhere for Whitney as a starter except going back to Akron where he likely would have been the DH (Mills at 1B).

I think Head is the 4th OF in Buffalo. Goleski is gone IMHO. Only question in my mind is if Head makes it thru the rule 5. 5th OF is Gimenez who is utility at 2 OF, 2 IF and C. :s_smile
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk