RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Ode to PGE park

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Ode to PGE park

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Home of the Portland Beavers, for 1 more game any way. AAA for the Padres..

I miss my games at Jacobs (Progressive now) field since I have move out to the northwest but found myself a new home at PGE park watching the AAA team for an ML team I don't care much for. The stadium itself is a wonderful historic place, 1st pro game in 1905 any way here is the story http://www.pgepark.com/stadium/history/ - please read.

Anyway tomorrow will be the last day an official baseball game is played here.

I love this park and will miss it terribly. MLS soccer is slated to take it over and I hope they truly realize what a wonderful venue they have had gifted to them....

I just got back from a game where I saw former tribe players Jody Gerut and Josh Barfield in action. Barfield hit a monster HR - would guess his longest or close to it (off the scoreboard in center) and it reminded me how so easily it is to take things like baseball games for granted.....For now on it will be day trips for Mariner games or a drive for short season A games in Salem....
Never been a mariners fan, do't plan on it so I guess I will continue to be the other team guy in the stands only now more than ever..... At least Safeco field is an awesome ballpark.....

Anyway just wanted to say thank you to the Portland Beavers I will miss you and hopefully everyone keeps their "promise" and AAA baseball returns after next season....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Ode to PGE park

Postby npc29 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Jody and Josh in the same game? That's my man-crush combo right there.

Anyway not familiar with the situation, but are they getting a new park or is the franchise moving to a new location?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:43 am

The franchise is moving because the owner of the park is the city of Portland and they kicked out the baseball team so the park could be turned into a MLS Soccer stadium. I should also mention that the group that "manages" the stadium also owns the AAA Portland Beavers and the opportunity to make more money by kicking out baseball and bringing in MLS soccer games is at the root of all of this. The Padre AAA will be somewhere in California though the exact location/city is still TBD...
As a baseball fan, there is a dirty taste in my mouth as the owner of the team (yet manager of the city owned park) did little to fight this (the stadium isn't ideal but I love it) and the city/cities; Portland and Beaverton- out here along with the teams owner dangled the proverbial carrot of a new stadium here or there long enough to convince most everyone (including me)that indeed the Beavers were not going anywhere, or more correctly relocated for maybe a year or 2 as the stadium was built.
Well no deal got done, no new stadium and no more baseball in Portland. though I expect with a real owner (Dolan is a god compared to this money-gruber) and a more organized fan movement- a return will happen. Hopefully by 2013. On the plus-side, perhaps the new affiliate will be one for a ML team I like better..
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

The reports I'm hearing is that the Beavers are moving to Escondido.

Yep, Escondido's what I think of when I think AAA baseball. :rolleyes: :nea:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk