RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Amateur Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Amateur Draft

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 pm

@ jellis agreed with Hultzen could cause Rendon to slide. If I were picking top 4 I'd pass bc of injury and arms available.
Seems like Hultzen could be cheaper and move qkly into Pittsburg's rotation.
Cole seems like a 2 pitch pitcher but I'd gladly grab him.

Dbax will draft an easy sign at 7, if not they are stupid.

I hope the tribe seriously considers some prep guys. Lindor, Fernandez, ABradley, Bell, Swihart, Guerriri. All have top 10 potential in a normal draft yr. This yrs is deep in pitching.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:@ jellis agreed with Hultzen could cause Rendon to slide. If I were picking top 4 I'd pass bc of injury and arms available.
Seems like Hultzen could be cheaper and move qkly into Pittsburg's rotation.
Cole seems like a 2 pitch pitcher but I'd gladly grab him.

Dbax will draft an easy sign at 7, if not they are stupid.

I hope the tribe seriously considers some prep guys. Lindor, Fernandez, ABradley, Bell, Swihart, Guerriri. All have top 10 potential in a normal draft yr. This yrs is deep in pitching.

The other thing is Pit is the team that took Sanchez then spent money on sliding specs later, they could easily repeat this approach this year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 am

@ jellis ... I wasnt saying Pit is cheap (30mil in 3yrs?) Hultzen is likely cheaper and more polished and a lefty. Hultzen is likely easier to sign possibly a quicker move to the bigs and a lefty. Cole is still a work but is worthy of the 1st pk IMO, he got 2 solid pitches but needs that 3rd to be the front of the rotation stud I think he could. Frankly I wouldn't take Rendon bc of injuries.... And with FOR starters available I'd go there before I'd pick Rendon.
I like the stragedy employed by Pit when they chose Sanchez, likely what we see again but they could try to pair Cole and Tallion as FOR starters for the future.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 am

Pittsburgh already has a pair of FOR candidates paired in the form of James Taillon and Stetson Allie. Adding Gerrit Cole would further solidify an incredibly strong group of young fire balling, big bodied, power armed pitchers. At least, that's the way I'd go if I were sitting in Neil Huntington's seat.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Pittsburgh already has a pair of FOR candidates paired in the form of James Taillon and Stetson Allie. Adding Gerrit Cole would further solidify an incredibly strong group of young fire balling, big bodied, power armed pitchers. At least, that's the way I'd go if I were sitting in Neil Huntington's seat.

Definitely one way to go....then again, could add Hultzen to get a lefty into the mix as well. Tough call at the top. Personally I'd go Rendon if I'm the Pirates provided the medical checks out.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Are the pirates using Allie as a starter? I thought part of the reason he dropped was bc he was going to be used as a closer and $$$.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Are the pirates using Allie as a starter? I thought part of the reason he dropped was bc he was going to be used as a closer and $$$.

The only real "news" about Stetson Allie that I've read say that he was in instrux and wouldn't be going to low A but would be at the next level down. They said the pirates braintrust is working with him on fastball command, his devastating slider and a change up.. with a three pitch mix like this..and the starting point for his professional career where it is.. the Pirates appear to be looking at keeping him as a starter until he proves he can't command any pitches...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Tue May 24, 2011 3:06 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Are the pirates using Allie as a starter? I thought part of the reason he dropped was bc he was going to be used as a closer and $$$.

The only real "news" about Stetson Allie that I've read say that he was in instrux and wouldn't be going to low A but would be at the next level down. They said the pirates braintrust is working with him on fastball command, his devastating slider and a change up.. with a three pitch mix like this..and the starting point for his professional career where it is.. the Pirates appear to be looking at keeping him as a starter until he proves he can't command any pitches...

seems like the smart route, try as a starter till they can't
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Interesting posting by the Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7079 ... rs-at-no-2

Don't let this slide all the way to No. 8 fool you; Starling is a legitimate contender to go with the first pick.

Sadly, this draft is so deep, and Starling's signability concerns so grave, that he could very easily fall out of the top 10, which would be a major travesty.

Despite his football scholarship to Nebraska and his incredible prowess on the basketball court, it's in between the chalk lines that Starling's brightest future lay.

He has all the tools you want in a center-fielder. Above-average speed. Light-tower power. A rocket arm.

He's looked sensational since returning from a hamstring injury that sidelined him for the first month of the high school season.

Getting Starling here would be a major coup for the Indians, who could use some elite position players like him after going for mostly pitchers the past few years.

If the do indeed select him, it would be breaking a major trend for them, as they've selected a college player with their first pick in the draft just about every season for the past 15 years.
Can you spell "GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT if this comes to pass?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Allie is definately an interesting arm... I wish the tribe grabbed him but it's hard to complain Pomeranz and Washington as the first 2 pks last yr.
If I were Pittsburgh I'd keep him as a starter, with 3 pitches and a 98 fb it would be stupid to keep him out of the rotation, unless his 3rd is just for show. But hes got some electric stuff.

I'd love to see the tribe snag Starling at 8 not sure Dolan would want to pony that kind of money... Maybe they snag a cpl guys and only sign 16-18 guys this yr instead of 20+ soak the extra in a guy like him
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Tue May 24, 2011 5:59 pm

I saw these players this HS season. Maybe drafted:

Nelson Ward 2b - Lassiter HS: Smooth 2b that can hit. 5'11" 160. Had big hit against our team in extra innings. UGA signee. I have heard that a Padres scout who coaches at ECB maybe in on this guy. I usually don't like HS 2B's as usually SS (HS or College) move to 2B. Didn't face our best pitcher in either game.

Reed Anthes C - Lassiter HS: Most feared hitter in their line-up. The Duke signee has good pop time and quickness behind the plate. Drove a HR to right-center in first game. Stocky build will probably need to lose some weight.

Sam Bragg P/DH - Wheeler HS - Didn't pitch in either game we played them. Word is he was a UGA commit but didn't sign. Expected to go in draft. Hit HR and game winning 2B to straight away center.

Jacob Bruce CF - Woodstock HS - Very good all around CF. Even his outs were hit hard. Signed with Kennesaw State (local school). I have seen Jacob play several games over the last few years. The lefty has a strong arm and very good speed (6.4 or 6.5 in 60). Always hustles. Lead team in hitting, home-runs, and runs scored (most games from lead-off position).

I think all of the above played with the ECB Astros over the years which is one of the top teams in the nation at their age group.

EDIT: Just reporting by what I saw. None of these are first rounders but are HSers that could garner late round looks. Summer ball for the seniors starts next week. I will try to catch some games around step-son's games.
Last edited by daingean on Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Allie is definately an interesting arm... I wish the tribe grabbed him but it's hard to complain Pomeranz and Washington as the first 2 pks last yr.
If I were Pittsburgh I'd keep him as a starter, with 3 pitches and a 98 fb it would be stupid to keep him out of the rotation, unless his 3rd is just for show. But hes got some electric stuff.

I'd love to see the tribe snag Starling at 8 not sure Dolan would want to pony that kind of money... Maybe they snag a cpl guys and only sign 16-18 guys this yr instead of 20+ soak the extra in a guy like him

allie went before washington, unless you wanted to take him over Pom it could not have happened. I am not huge on Starling I see a lot of Donovan Tate
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Interesting posting by the Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7079 ... rs-at-no-2

Don't let this slide all the way to No. 8 fool you; Starling is a legitimate contender to go with the first pick.

Sadly, this draft is so deep, and Starling's signability concerns so grave, that he could very easily fall out of the top 10, which would be a major travesty.

Despite his football scholarship to Nebraska and his incredible prowess on the basketball court, it's in between the chalk lines that Starling's brightest future lay.

He has all the tools you want in a center-fielder. Above-average speed. Light-tower power. A rocket arm.

He's looked sensational since returning from a hamstring injury that sidelined him for the first month of the high school season.

Getting Starling here would be a major coup for the Indians, who could use some elite position players like him after going for mostly pitchers the past few years.

If the do indeed select him, it would be breaking a major trend for them, as they've selected a college player with their first pick in the draft just about every season for the past 15 years.
Can you spell "GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT if this comes to pass?..

A fun read....and would be nice to see us go a high upside HSer again.

But I laughed when I saw Archie Bradley going 10th to the Padres. An unprotected pick and they are gonna draft a guy asking for $20M and has a big time football scholarship? :crazy:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby stayhumble » Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Kindly look past the internet rags for just a moment. A MAC player is the leading hitter in both A ball(Gallas) and Advanced A ball(Eaton-Miami).

The hype is what causes myopia.............look deeper gentlemen.

Rendon could end up a flake.
stayhumble
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 pm

stayhumble wrote:Kindly look past the internet rags for just a moment. A MAC player is the leading hitter in both A ball(Gallas) and Advanced A ball(Eaton-Miami).

The hype is what causes myopia.............look deeper gentlemen.

Rendon could end up a flake.

your really pushing these kent st kids, but by the same coin who was the last mac guy to dominate, you can tear the leather off the ball and people will just see the level of competition. Are you the same guy who went crazy last year over the same kids, and only appeared then disappeared during the draft, I remember these speeches. We get the point, every post is the same at this point spice it up, what you write is fine but would be nice to see more than gallas and Ben K posts
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm

stayhumble wrote:Rendon could end up a flake.

Very, very true.

he also could end up a Hall of Famer
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Thu May 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Just read through Keith Laws chat and he said Javier Baez was a name he heard mentioned with the Indians
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Just read through Keith Laws chat and he said Javier Baez was a name he heard mentioned with the Indians
Perhaps as a second or third round pick?..or was the discussion more along the lines of Javier Baez's mom asking Keith Law if the Indians would consider taking her baby boy with their # 8 pick while giving him a seven figure signing bonus? :dunno: :s_rofl
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu May 26, 2011 6:00 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:Just read through Keith Laws chat and he said Javier Baez was a name he heard mentioned with the Indians
Perhaps as a second or third round pick?..or was the discussion more along the lines of Javier Baez's mom asking Keith Law if the Indians would consider taking her baby boy with their # 8 pick while giving him a seven figure signing bonus? :dunno: :s_rofl

A lot of teams are high on Baez, if you read other stuff links to 4 teams in the top 15. Baez has good bat speed, which the Indians do value, I would not be shocked. Law also stated "He's hardly a zero even if he's not 8th on my board - and more than one scout has said to me he has the most exciting bat in the draft."
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:06 pm

jellis wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

A lot of teams are high on Baez, if you read other stuff links to 4 teams in the top 15. Baez has good bat speed, which the Indians do value, I would not be shocked. Law also stated "He's hardly a zero even if he's not 8th on my board - and more than one scout has said to me he has the most exciting bat in the draft."

I wouldn't mind Baez. Not many people think he'll stick at SS but his bat would probably play anywhere. I'm not sure he's the bat I'd prefer but I like the mindset; "another college pitcher" can get boring after a while.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Being going over this a lot in my mind. At my work I have a lot of down time right now, so it gives me time to think. Its the upside of being the main CPI guy, I am only needed a few times a day, but when I am look out.

I actually think Gray makes a ton of sense at 7, he is going to be a very easy sign. If you think back to the Strausburg pick they took SP and then a CL with their other pick. Zona isn't a rich team, and Gray is a nice pick because he is bust proof at worst they get a closer. He could turn out to be a MOR start still, but this gives them a guy who should help out.

This leads me to see the Indians taking Barnes for a couple of reasons. One the Indians do target cold weather guys, look at the deals to get Smith, Masterson, etc sure they are from Ohio but I think its more the cold weather factor. He is large, looking again at the way we draft and trade there are not many smaller pitchers who come to mind. Three we draft college pitchers and at this pick Barnes fits the bill and to me seems a logical candidate.

I am torn myself because you should always take BPA avaible and I have Lindor, Bundy, and Bradley higher on my board but I just think they will stick to what they have done for the last decade.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I think there's 2 ways they can look at it. One go for it and take some risk high upside guys or the same thing as usual. Thing is the deals and BGrants draft style have helped build the surplus this team has. Something unusual as a tribe fan but they can trade players from depth particularly pitching unlike yrs past when it seemed hard to figure out who the top 10 was now it's whose the best 30+ prospects.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Javier Baez is probably going to end up as a 3baseman maybe corner OF. 6'1 200lbs as an 18 yr old SS. Says he's going to out grow SS. He should be as high as 10 to late first rd, sandwich pk potentially could slide into top of rd 2. His bat projects well, good speed and arm.

I wouldn't think he's a possibility in rd 1... Maybe Lindor if they consider SS.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Javier Baez is probably going to end up as a 3baseman maybe corner OF. 6'1 200lbs as an 18 yr old SS. Says he's going to out grow SS. He should be as high as 10 to late first rd, sandwich pk potentially could slide into top of rd 2. His bat projects well, good speed and arm.

I wouldn't think he's a possibility in rd 1... Maybe Lindor if they consider SS.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed they go Lindor. He's got Derek Jeter potential IMO (yeah, I said it).

And if we even go Sonny Gray over Lindor (Shuey over Jeter)...my TV probably doesn't survive the draft without a beer bottle thrown thru it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 pm

A lot of the talk you'll hear from BA and Law about what teams are looking at what guys comes from player "advisors"/agents. You can obviously gauge what teams are interested in what guys simply by spotting respective teams' GM's and scouting directors at games, but just being there doesn't exactly mean the top level guys like what they see. I remember BA publishing that the Indians would not let Chris Sale get by them last year, and that was obviously incorrect. I remember throwing a fit over it b/c I thought Sale sucked as a 5th overall selection.

Regarding Baez, looks like a nice toolsy infield talent, but I can see him striking out a lot based on online videos (I know its a small sample size). He's got a long load and his bat takes too long to get through the zone once he decides to swing. Love the extension he gets and he's clearly got nice power potential, but would not be surprised to see a lot of K's and low BA early in his pro career. Definitely would pass on this guy at 8th overall.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Good game for Gray against SCarolina. 6.1IP 1ER 5H 1BB 7K. Left with no one on 90 some pitches about 2/3 strikes
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 am

Couple of things:

PG among others seems to think Baez can stick at short.

OB, does that swing kinda remind you of Albert Belle?

Hermie, Lindor is more Omar than Jeter, IMO. I don't trust the bat to be anything better than average, although he is quite young for a HS senior.

Even the announcers on the S Carolina/Vandy game said Gray's a reliever at the next level. I'd take Jungmann, Barnes, or Jed Bradley over Gray.

Rendon is listed on the Rice website & on Pg as 6' even & 190-195 lbs. A quick check of the MLB site revealed that more than half of the 3B's listed with 50 or more AB's this year are 6' or shorter. Around 1/3 of the remaining are a towering 6'1". Rendon is not too small to play 3B, unless David Wright, listed at 6' & 210 lbs. is also. Now whether the shoulder damage ruined his arm, that's another matter.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri May 27, 2011 7:24 am

Rocky55 wrote:Couple of things:

I agree about Baez being able to stick at short. Do not think he's one of the obvious guys that would have to move. Kind of see a 3b/ss guy; has a body similar to Adrian Beltre. At 28-30 years old, Baez probably couldn't handle SS any longer, but wouldn't be surprised to see him stick at the position when he's young, more agile and hasn't entirely grown into his body in his early to mid 20's.

Rocky, that's a great call on Belle's swing. Really nice work. Belle did do the same thing when he was one of the game's most prolific hitters, but I've seen a lot of young hitters do the same thing and really struggle. I see Belle as the exception to the rule. When you don't see guys frequently enough, I tend to apply general rules to guys whether its fair or not. There are always going to be exceptions, and some of the major league greats get away with things that are less traditional (Belle was one of them), but when you're making million dollar decisions and justifying them by saying things like, "This time it's different", you're going to fail more often than not.

Regardless, Baez has a very appealing upside.

Also, let's let someone else take Sonny Gray.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Couple of things:

Hermie, Lindor is more Omar than Jeter, IMO. I don't trust the bat to be anything better than average, although he is quite young for a HS senior.

Even the announcers on the S Carolina/Vandy game said Gray's a reliever at the next level. I'd take Jungmann, Barnes, or Jed Bradley over Gray.

Rendon is listed on the Rice website & on Pg as 6' even & 190-195 lbs. A quick check of the MLB site revealed that more than half of the 3B's listed with 50 or more AB's this year are 6' or shorter. Around 1/3 of the remaining are a towering 6'1". Rendon is not too small to play 3B, unless David Wright, listed at 6' & 210 lbs. is also. Now whether the shoulder damage ruined his arm, that's another matter.

Other than one or two scouts, most are in agreement that he'll develop 15 HR power. No one ever said that of Omar.

Lindor has that leadership quality of Jeter, the ability to hit for a good average, the potential to hit 15-20 HRs. I think people here are vastly, vastly underrating his bat. He's not being called a top 10/possible top 3 pick because of his defense alone.

The only thing Omar and Lindor have/had in common was their defense.

I agree 100% on Rendon. He only moves if he isn't hitting enough for 3B or his shoulder becomes a major long-term issue. Saying he's too small for 3B is comical.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree, I think Baez can definitely stick at short. Maybe he's only a Jhonny Peralta defensively, but as much as Tribe fans hated him there, you could do a lot worse. Baez reminds me a bit of a cross between Phillips and Peralta. Has more a Peralta body, but has that attitude that Phillips had.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:05 pm

I read that Baerga is going to announce our 1st Round pick this year. I'd put the over/under at 240lbs.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Makes me wish the tribe could slip back a few pks and get some more pks if BAEZ is the route they take. I think it's possible they snag him at 8. I believe 09 they considered Kipnis in round 1 but got him in rd 2.

Personally I like Gray, think he could stay in the rotation but would NOT take that chance at 8. That's way too high for a closer.

Probably see the Tribe end up with Taylor Junggman, Matt Barnes or Jed Bradley.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri May 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi guys, more of a lurker now but somebody may remember me....

I'm still torn on who to like/dislike at 8...so many good prospects, I'd just say avoid the big risks...I wasn't a big Levon Washington-pick fan, esp. because of the dedication stuff and I'd try to avoid similar players in the top rounds...with that "filter" on I'd punt Lindor and Starling...rather take Bell and Baez, as their bats seem more advanced but hating "projectability" picks (esp high) I wouldn't go that route either at 8, but I could be ok with them.

There aren't many bat-options at 8 otherwise....Springer? Power-Boom or Bust is what I see and if his upside is Chris Young I'm still not joy-jumping

I really like Mahtook, Cron and Wong but they look like reaches at 8? Then again, what's Mahtook's worst case? Anyone?

That leaves us with Pitching at 8...so many possibilities...I'd prefer another advanced College arm. Very big Barnes fan here....what's not to like? He has Top production, make up and above AVG stuff, looks like a safe bet to make the league at worst as MOR...similar thinking with Bauer and Jungmann...those 3 are my top3 right now, in no particular order, Bauer somewhat ahead but themost likely to be off the board. I may be 1 of the few who actually likes Jungmann this high, as he's a popular "overrated" pick but I think that's outsmarting...he's good, don't let more projectability and worse production fool you because that's the trade off so often nobody talks about: of course a "raw" guy has more "projectability", often that just means he isn't as good yet....take the guy who's already good although he won't get "that" much better...I think we fell into this trap with LeVon, hope I'm wrong though (and how many years did we rank guys like Rivero and A.Abreu high? and forgot guys like Tomlin along the way?)..

That said, here's another guy I absolutely want the Indians to draft...as early as the 2nd round, from the 3rd round on I'd consider this THE steal of the draft: RHP Noe Ramirez, Cal State Full....consistent VERY good production, great command, decent enough stuff...so he doesn't throw a mid-90s FB but his velocity has gone up from last year and he's 1 of those skinny guys who can add strength (and hopefully some velo)...somewhat reminds me of Soto....pitchability > projectability any day

Bats I like from the 2nd round on: SS Panik and 3B Esposito

Mid-rounds: SS/2B R.Wright, OF Robinson, OF Coats, SS Miller, OF K.Walker

Somewhat torn on the Power guys like Westlake, Vollmuth and Oropesa

Not high (and not much info) on prep bats, maybe tempted by Bichette, Barron, Hager

Right now my consideration list for each round for the Indians would look like this (no order)

1. RHP Bauer, RHP Barnes, RHP Jungmann
2. RHP N.Ramirez, SS Panik, 3B Esposito, LHP Garvin, RHP Brickhouse
3-5 RHP Verrett, RHP Meo, RHP Andriese, OF K.Walker, 2B/SS R.Wright OF Robinson, SS Miller, OF Bichette, SS Barron, SS Hager

Re-Draft options: RHP Goforth, RHP B.Smith

Best case scenario: Bauer, Garvin, Ramirez, Robinson, Hager
More likely: Jungmann, Brickhouse/Esposito, Walker/Andriese, Hager/Barron, Smith/Goforth

Discuss...

Tony thanks for this great site btw :drinks:
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 pm

To TONDO

-BPA in the MLB draft.. is the most important characteristic for drafting.. History says take the safe college arm that can contribute with less work in the Indians minor league system..a la White and Pomeranz.. Remember, Jeremy Sowers also fits that bill.. So, sometimes your first pick goes bust.. that's part of Baseball..

-At # 8: BPA.. if that's Bauer, Bundy, Barnes, Bradley or Bubba.. that's who gets picked.. and it's a coincidence that all those names begin with a B...

-Regarding LeVon Washington.. I'm not sure why you don't like this kid.. He's a superb athlete with a wealth of talent. He is playing in his third week as an OF'er after spending his entire career as an infielder... I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are referring regarding his dedication, effort or attitude.. Sounds like one of those "Hoynes" comments that have no meaning.. they're just mean.. Recall his start last year for Chipola St (where?) ? Through 20 games he was on the Interstate.. and finished the year hitting .327.. He'll be fine.. and his talent will out.. :clapping:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Tondo » Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm

I know how BPA works in baseball...still have the "feeling" that HS pitchers are more of a risk and get to the Show less than College arms (any data?)

For the record: I forgot to mention A.Bradley to the 1st round mix, of all HS arms I would take him at 8

Read some negative reports on Washington attitude last year around this time...only thing I could find now is the BA 1-liner in their Top200: "Unsigned 2009 first-rounder had middling season, poor attitude . . . but can still hit."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/dr ... 10039.html

Guess I just don't like inconsistent prospects who have spurts of underachieving for whatever reasons...as I said though: I hope I'm wrong here.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:-Regarding LeVon Washington.. I'm not sure why you don't like this kid.. He's a superb athlete with a wealth of talent. He is playing in his third week as an OF'er after spending his entire career as an infielder... I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are referring regarding his dedication, effort or attitude.. Sounds like one of those "Hoynes" comments that have no meaning.. they're just mean.. Recall his start last year for Chipola St (where?) ? Through 20 games he was on the Interstate.. and finished the year hitting .327.. He'll be fine.. and his talent will out.. :clapping:

Not his whole career in the infield. He played the OF a lot in HS and in tourneys til his shoulder flared up. also, you're fetish with Hoynes is really clouding your memory. There was a lot of talk about Washington's attitude and work ethic heading into the draft.

That said, I liked the pick and think he'll be a solid MLer in a couple years.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Tondo wrote:I know how BPA works in baseball...still have the "feeling" that HS pitchers are more of a risk and get to the Show less than College arms (any data?)

For the record: I forgot to mention A.Bradley to the 1st round mix, of all HS arms I would take him at 8

Read some negative reports on Washington attitude last year around this time...only thing I could find now is the BA 1-liner in their Top200: "Unsigned 2009 first-rounder had middling season, poor attitude . . . but can still hit."

Guess I just don't like inconsistent prospects who have spurts of underachieving for whatever reasons...as I said though: I hope I'm wrong here.
Yeah.. I like Archie Bradley as well.. seems like he's destined to be a FOR type player..with an arm like his.. there is no limit to what he can achieve...

I saw that BA note or it might have been take from the St Pete Times.or where ever..it doesn't matter.. about attitude..and sloughed it off as so much tripe.. LeVon had some kind of run in with the Tampa Rays about signing that was bandied about and put on him as an 'attitude' issue. It's just not true.. he's a humble hard working kid. It's like the one report that came out about Michael Brantley being a defensive liability while in the Brewers organization. It was further augmented as he might have to move to 1B or some such nonsense. IT WAS AND REMAINS NONSENSE. Anyone who has watched baseball.. and / or watched Brantley play know that he's a very solid defensive player.. I'd take guys with his ability at EVERY defensive position and lead the league in defensive metrics..

And you're not wrong yet.. but there's a first for everything...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Fri May 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:-Regarding LeVon Washington.. I'm not sure why you don't like this kid.. He's a superb athlete with a wealth of talent. He is playing in his third week as an OF'er after spending his entire career as an infielder... I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are referring regarding his dedication, effort or attitude.. Sounds like one of those "Hoynes" comments that have no meaning.. they're just mean.. Recall his start last year for Chipola St (where?) ? Through 20 games he was on the Interstate.. and finished the year hitting .327.. He'll be fine.. and his talent will out.. :clapping:

Not his whole career in the infield. He played the OF a lot in HS and in tourneys til his shoulder flared up. also, you're fetish with Hoynes is really clouding your memory. There was a lot of talk about Washington's attitude and work ethic heading into the draft.

That said, I liked the pick and think he'll be a solid MLer in a couple years.

As for the whole dedication knock about LeVon Washington, I have a couple friends from the Gainesville, Florida area who knew LeVon and they told me that he's one of those kids who you don't really want to see succeed because of his attitude, but you just know he will.

So take that for what it's worth.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Fri May 27, 2011 6:54 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Tondo wrote:I know how BPA works in baseball...still have the "feeling" that HS pitchers are more of a risk and get to the Show less than College arms (any data?)

Yeah.. I like Archie Bradley as well.. seems like he's destined to be a FOR type player..with an arm like his.. there is no limit to what he can achieve...

I saw that BA note or it might have been take from the St Pete Times.or where ever..it doesn't matter.. about attitude..and sloughed it off as so much tripe.. LeVon had some kind of run in with the Tampa Rays about signing that was bandied about and put on him as an 'attitude' issue. It's just not true.. he's a humble hard working kid. It's like the one report that came out about Michael Brantley being a defensive liability while in the Brewers organization. It was further augmented as he might have to move to 1B or some such nonsense. IT WAS AND REMAINS NONSENSE. Anyone who has watched baseball.. and / or watched Brantley play know that he's a very solid defensive player.. I'd take guys with his ability at EVERY defensive position and lead the league in defensive metrics..

Brantley had series questions that is why we got him as the 2nd player, there was talk he would not work in CF, and the Brewers were concerned enough to play him at 1B. Its a credit to brantley that he worked at it and became the player he is now out there. I am not sure why you all the sudden saying everything is wrong, trying to make it seem like one bad report is shading everything. Washington had legit issues, that were why he was a 2nd rounder, and Brantley was a question in CF or we would not have been able to get him
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Just thought I'd post this from MLB.com site top 50 prospects. http://www.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... list=draft

I've seen a few different numbers on some of these guys notably...
Rendon is 5'11.
Jed Bradley can throw 94-95.
Javier Baez 6'1 200 listed at 6'0 180.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat May 28, 2011 1:24 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Just thought I'd post this from MLB.com site top 50 prospects. http://www.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... list=draft

Rendon is 5'11.

Thanks for the link. Found it a little amusing.

The Rendon video is of him tearing up his ankle and being carted off the field. Rather ominous! I'd be kind of pissed about that if I were him.

Especially liked the part that dogged a pitcher b/c too often he gets hitters to swing and miss on pitches outside of the strike zone. Yeah, that's never good. I understand that doesn't happen as often in upper levels of pro ball, but you know you're good when someone criticizes you b/c of generating too many swings and misses.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:28 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Just thought I'd post this from MLB.com site top 50 prospects. http://www.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/ ... list=draft

Rendon is 5'11.

Home, you post that Rendon is 5'11" right after a link that lists him as 6".
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:26 pm

jellis wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Yeah.. I like Archie Bradley as well.. seems like he's destined to be a FOR type player..with an arm like his.. there is no limit to what he can achieve...

Brantley had series questions that is why we got him as the 2nd player, there was talk he would not work in CF, and the Brewers were concerned enough to play him at 1B. Its a credit to brantley that he worked at it and became the player he is now out there. I am not sure why you all the sudden saying everything is wrong, trying to make it seem like one bad report is shading everything. Washington had legit issues, that were why he was a 2nd rounder, and Brantley was a question in CF or we would not have been able to get him

Brantley is so good in CF, that he moves to LF when Carrera is in the game. He's at best, an average CFer (and that's being generous). Anyone who watches baseball can see that. I agree with jellis here though. He's VASTLY improved from where he was when we got him from the Brewers. Very hard worker.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Here's Jim Callis of Baseball America latest mock draft...

1. PIRATES: Anthony Rendon, 3b, Rice.

2. MARINERS: Bubba Starling, of, Gardner-Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan.

3. DIAMONDBACKS: Danny Hultzen, lhp, Virginia.

4. ORIOLES: Dylan Bundy, rhp, Owasso (Okla.) HS.

5. ROYALS: Gerrit Cole, rhp, UCLA.

6. NATIONALS: Trevor Bauer, rhp, UCLA.

7. DIAMONDBACKS: Javier Baez, ss, Arlington Country Day School, Jacksonville, Fla.

8. INDIANS: Jed Bradley, lhp, Georgia Tech.

9. CUBS: Archie Bradley, rhp, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS.

10. PADRES: Matt Barnes, rhp, Connecticut.

11. ASTROS: Taylor Jungmann, rhp, Texas.

12. BREWERS: Francisco Lindor, ss, Monteverde (Fla.) Academy.

13. METS: Mikie Mahtook, of, Louisiana State.

14. MARLINS: Cory Spangenberg, 3b, Indian River (Fla.) JC.

15. BREWERS: Sonny Gray, rhp, Vanderbilt.

16. DODGERS: Taylor Guerrieri, rhp, Spring Valley HS, Columbia, S.C.

17. ANGELS: Alex Meyer, rhp, Kentucky.

18. ATHLETICS: George Springer, of, Connecticut.

19. RED SOX: Josh Bell, of, Dallas Jesuit HS.

20. ROCKIES: Levi Michael, ss, North Carolina.

21. BLUE JAYS: Daniel Norris, lhp, Science Hill HS, Johnson City, Tenn.

22. CARDINALS: C.J. Cron, 1b, Utah.

23. NATIONALS: Tyler Anderson, lhp, Oregon.

24. RAYS: Jose Fernandez, rhp, Alonso HS, Tampa.

25. PADRES: Brian Goodwin, of, Miami-Dade JC.

26. RED SOX: Austin Hedges, c, JSerra HS, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.

27. REDS: Robert Stephenson, rhp, Alhambra HS, Martinez, Calif.

28. BRAVES: Henry Owens, lhp, Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif.

29. GIANTS: Josh Osich, lhp, Oregon State.

30. TWINS: Sean Gilmartin, lhp, Florida State.

31. RAYS: Kolten Wong, 2b, Hawaii

32. RAYS: Blake Swihart, c, Cleveland HS, Rio Rancho, N.M.

33. RANGERS: Brandon Nimmo, of, East HS, Cheyenne, Wyo
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Interesting mock....

Not a huge fan of JB to us at 8.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 10:55 pm

@ Rocky55 I was pointing out the differences in some listings. I saw 5'11 elsewhere and that's the common thought. FYI part of the reason Rendon is consider by many a 2b. Baez was listed or reported 6'1 200 but Mlb.com has him 6'0 180.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Just read John Stilson will require shldr (labrum) surgery.

This is a top 200 prospects list from Baseball America (?) breaks them down by position etc. some good stats etc. if you like to sort through it. I apologize some of the info was jumbled or lost during an earlier post, this is edited to read easier but not quite what I wanted it to be.

Name, Pos., School B/T Ht. Wt. Age Avg. AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB
1 Anthony Rendon, 3b, Rice R/R 6'0" 190 20 .323 186 53 60 17 2 5 33 11
6 Bubba Starling, of, Gardner-Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan. R/R 6'4" 180 18 .481 27 18 13 3 1 4 11 7
7 Francisco Lindor, ss, Monteverde (Fla.) Academy B/R 5'11" 175 17 .528 53 31 28 7 2 6 13 20
11 George Springer, of, Connecticut R/R 6'3" 200 21 .379 203 51 77 22 2 12 72 29
15 Josh Bell, of, Dallas Jesuit HS B/R 6'3" 190 18 .593 81 50 48 8 0 13 51 17
17 Blake Swihart, c, Cleveland HS, Rio Rancho, N.M. B/R 6'1" 175 19 .545 99 54 54 17 5 5 41 19
18 Javier Baez, ss, Arlington Country Day School, Jacksonville, Fla, R/R 6'1" 205 18
21 Mikie Mahtook, of, Louisiana State R/R 6'1" 192 21 .383 196 61 75 12 5 14 56 29
22 Levi Michael, ss, North Carolina S/R 5'10" 180 20 .311 196 47 61 12 3 4 46 14
26 C.J. Cron, 1b, Utah R/R 6'4" 230 21 .444 187 48 83 25 1 15 58 1
27 Kolten Wong, 2b, Hawaii L/R 5'9" 190 20 .375 192 46 72 10 3 6 49 22
28 Austin Hedges, c, JSerra HS, San Juan Capistrano, Calif. R/R 6'1" 185 18 .366 82 22 30 11 2 4 16 5
29 Cory Spangenberg, 3b, Indian River (Fla.) JC L/R 6'0" 184
.477 176 50 84 11 3 5 32 33
30 Andrew Susac, c, Oregon State R/R 6'1" 205 21 .352 108 30 38 8 2 5 31 0
34 Jackie Bradley, of, South Carolina L/R 5'10" 175 21 .259 139 29 36 9 1 6 26 1
37 Brandon Nimmo, of, East HS, Cheyenne, Wyo. L/L 6'2" 185 18

40 Trevor Story, ss, Irving (Texas) HS R/R 6'0" 175 18 .484 91 38 44 10 3 8 29 13
42 Alex Dickerson, of, Indiana L/L 6'3" 225 21 .367 215 33 79 10 0 9 49 2
44 Brian Goodwin, of, Miami-Dade JC L/R 6'1" 190 20 .382 157 42 60 11 2 8 37 16
49 Dwight Smith Jr., of, McIntosh HS, Peachtree City, Ga. L/R 5'11" 180 18 .577 52 31 30 6 1 4 17 5

51 Kes Carter, of, Western Kentucky L/L 6'2" 205 21 .348 201 44 70 17 2 7 38 8
52 Granden Goetzman, of, Palmetto (Fla.) HS R/R 6'4" 195 18 .413 80 35 33 7 5 8 26 14
53 Williams Jerez, of, Grand Street HS, Brooklyn L/L 6'4" 190
.692 52 36 31 9 6 5 32 26
54 Matt Dean, 3b, The Colony (Texas) HS R/R 6'3" 190 18 .435 85 39 37 10 1 10 29 12
57 Ricky Oropesa, 1b/3b, Southern California L/R 6'3" 225 21 .317 186 33 59 10 1 6 38 3
59 Aaron Westlake, 1b, Vanderbilt L/R 6'4" 230 22 .360 200 49 72 14 1 13 43 2
61 Brett Austin, c, Providence HS, Charlotte B/R 6'0" 190 18 .543 81 43 44 9 0 12 37 13
63 B.A. Vollmuth, 3b/ss, Southern Miss R/R 6'4" 200 21 .312 199 46 62 12 3 12 47 2
64 Cam Gallagher, c, Manheim Township HS, Lancaster, Pa. R/R 6'3" 210 18 .434 53 29 23 3 0 4 19 8
65 Brandon Martin, ss, Santiago HS, Corona, Calif. R/R 5'11" 165 17 .354 82 33 29 5 2 5 21 7
66 Derek Fisher, of, Cedar Crest HS, Lebanon, Pa. L/L 6'3" 218 17 .484 64 27 31 3 1 11 28 2
67 Joe Panik, ss, St. John's L/R 6'2" 195 20 .396 197 53 78 17 3 9 53 17
68 Brad Miller, ss, Clemson L/R 6'1" 185 21 .431 167 49 72 11 3 4 44 21
71 Jace Peterson, ss, McNeese State L/R 6'1" 190 21 .335 224 67 75 9 8 2 34 30
72 Tyler Marlette, c, Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Fla. R/R 5'11" 195 18

73 Roman Quinn, of, Port St. Joe (Fla.) HS R/R 5'10" 165 18 .385 78 39 30 4 3 4 21 20
75 Larry Greene, of, Berrien County HS, Nashville, Ga. L/R 6'1" 225 18 .562

77 Jason Esposito, 3b, Vanderbilt R/R 6'2" 205 20 .346 214 46 74 20 1 6 48 12
78 Travis Harrison, 3b, Tustin (Calif.) HS R/R 6'2" 215 18 .486 74 31 36 11 1 12 29 9
79 Nick Ahmed, ss, UConn R/R 6'2" 205 21 .322 149 43 48 9 2 2 29 20
80 Charlie Tilson, of, New Trier HS, Winnetka, Ill. L/L 6'1" 175

82 Connor Barron, ss, Sumrall (Miss.) HS L/R 6'0" 165 18 .500 98 52 49 10 4 8 36 15
83 Tyler Greene, ss, West Boca Raton (Fla.) HS R/R 6'2" 170 18 .383 60 21 23 4 0 5 24 10
84 Johnny Eierman, of, Warsaw (Mo.) HS R/R 6'1" 195 18 .571 70 54 40 10 5 10 33 24
85 Tyler Gibson, of, Stratford Academy, Macon, Ga. L/R 6'2" 190 17 .444 72 38 32 9 0 6 21 21
86 Zach Cone, of, Georgia R/R 6'2" 202 21 .283 212 34 60 10 1 3 28 12
87 Kyle Gaedele, of, Valparaiso R/R 6'4" 220 21 .315 200 49 63 14 3 7 36 21
88 Nicky Delmonico, c/1b/3b, Farragut HS, Knoxville L/R 6'2" 196 18 .413 92 53 38 10 0 9 35 23
89 Tyler Goeddel, 3b, St. Francis HS, Mountain View, Calif. R/R 6'4" 170 18 .361 83 27 30 7 2 2 19 9
92 Keenyn Walker, of, Central Arizona JC B/R 6'3" 185 20 .402 214 76 86 11 8 4 50 65
95 Brandon Loy, ss, Texas R/R 6'0" 170 21 .327 217 40 71 16 3 1 22 12

101 Ryan Wright, ss/2b, Louisville R/R 6'1" 194 21 .343 216 46 74 13 4 11 44 16
103 Peter O'Brien, c, Bethune-Cookman R/R 6'5" 225 20 .310 216 38 67 13 1 13 65 3
107 Senquez Golson, of, Pascagoula (Miss.) HS R/R 5'10" 185
.345 84 22 29 5 1 3 23 16
108 Dante Bichette Jr., of, Orangewood Christian HS, Orlando R/R 6'1" 215 18 .640 86 58 55 15 2 10 40 15
109 Dan Vogelbach, 1b, Bishop Verot HS, Fort Myers, Fla. L/R 6'1" 240 18 .459 85 40 39 6 4 17 50 5
112 Carl Thomore, of, East Brunswick (N.J.) HS R/R 6'3" 215 18 .493 67 29 33 8 0 3 22 25
115 Dusty Robinson, of, Fresno State R/R 5'11" 195 21 .310 187 38 58 19 2 14 46 9
116 Cody Asche, 3b, Nebraska L/R 6'2" 198 20 .327 208 46 68 27 1 12 56 2
118 Gabriel Rosa, of, Colegio Hector Urdaneta, Rio Grande, P.R. B/R 6'4" 175 17
122 Jake Hager, ss, Sierra Vista HS, Las Vegas R/R 6'1" 180 18 .547 128 75 70 22 3 11 57 28
124 Billy Flamion, of, Central Catholic HS, Modesto, Calif. L/L 6'1" 187 18 .388 85 39 33 13 5 4 22 9
129 James McCann, c, Arkansas R/R 6'3" 210 20 .309 178 33 55 12 1 6 29 9
131 Taylor Sparks, 3b, St. John Bosco HS, Bellflower, Calif. R/R 6'4" 200 18 .397 73 23 29 5 4 2 18
133 Kevin Cron, 1b, Mountain Pointe HS, Phoenix R/R 6'4" 235 18 .560 109 32 61 11 0 27 65 0
138 Daniel Camarena, lhp/of, Cathedral Catholic HS, San Diego L/L 6'1" 195 18 .289 90 26 26 8 3 5 19 9
142 Taylor Featherston, ss, Texas Christian R/R 6'1" 185 21 .347 219 48 76 12 4 3 38 6
143 Bryson Myles, of, Stephen F. Austin State R/R 6'0" 225
.413 223 64 92 10 3 7 33 50
144 Steven Proscia, 3b, Virginia R/R 6'2" 215 20 .326 221 38 72 15 0 5 48 11
145 Tyler Grimes, ss, Wichita State R/R 5'11" 181 20 .304 227 64 69 9 2 5 32 25
146 Jason Coats, of, Texas Christian R/R 6'2" 190 21 .324 222 48 72 15 4 8 52 8
147 Bobby Crocker, of, Cal Poly R/R 6'3" 230 21 .349 175 37 61 12 1 5 20 9
148 Dante Flores, 2b, St. John Bosco HS, Bellflower, Calif. L/R 5'10" 160 18 .390 82 24 32 6 1 1 12
149 Aaron Brown, of/lhp, Chatsworth (Calif.) L/L 6'2" 200
.476 84 29 40 11 5 2 34 8
150 Riley Moore, c, San Marcos HS, Santa Barbara, Calif. R/R 6'2" 180

157 Jacob Anderson, of/1b, Chino (Calif.) HS R/R 6'3" 180 18 .477 86 40 41 8 8 5 24 19
159 John Hicks, c, Virginia R/R 6'2" 205 21 .352 219 43 77 19 1 5 48 5
160 Michael Reed, of, Leander (Texas) HS R/R 6'0" 190 18 .386 101 23 39 7 3 5 39 10
165 Garrett Buechele, 3b, Oklahoma R/R 6'0" 205 21 .339 218 32 74 8 1 7 55 1
166 Cody Stubbs, 1b/3b, Walters State (Tenn.) JC L/R 6'4" 220 20 .411

167 Preston Tucker, of/1b, Florida L/L 6'0" 215 20 .323 223 43 72 16 0 10 50 4
168 Phillip Evans, 2b, La Costa Canyon HS, Carlsbad, Calif. B/R 5'10" 185 18 .376 93 32 35 9 1 7 28 4
172 Nick Martini, of, Kansas State L/L 5'11" 192 20 .343 201 47 69 13 3 1 42 23
180 Christian Lopes, 2b, Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif. R/R 6'0" 185 18 .346 78 24 27 6 1 7 24 7
181 Johnny Ruettiger, of, Arizona State L/L 6'2" 180 21 .325 209 42 68 7 2 0 32 21
182 Jake Cave, lhp/of, Kecoughtan HS, Hampton, Va. L/L 6'0" 180 18 .621 58 38 36 10 0 4 16 18
185 Chris Mariscal, ss, Clovis North SS, Fresno R/R 5'11" 170 18 .426 94 28 40 8 3 4 18 4
186 Pratt Maynard, c, North Carolina State L/R 6'0" 223 21 .335 227 42 76 19 1 5 40 1
188 Jordan Weems, c, Columbus (Ga.) HS L/R 6'3" 185 18

194 Nick Rickles, c, Stetson R/R 6'3" 225 21 .359 220 44 79 20 3 11 58 0
196 Richard Prigatano, of, St. Francis HS, Mountain View, Calif. R/R 6'3" 204 18 .494 79 28 39 8 4 6 28 10
197 Nick Ramirez, 1b/lhp, Cal State Fullerton L/L 6'3" 225 21 .296 186 37 55 13 1 9 43 4
PITCHERS
Rk Name, Pos., School B/T Ht. Wt. Age W L ERA G SV IP H BB K
2 Dylan Bundy, rhp, Owasso (Okla.) HS B/R 6'1" 200 18 11 0 0.20 12 1 71 20 5 158
3 Gerrit Cole, rhp, UCLA R/R 6'4" 220 20 5 7 3.27 14 0 99 83 19 99
4 Danny Hultzen, lhp, Virginia L/L 6'3" 200 21 9 3 1.49 13 0 90 60 15 131
5 Trevor Bauer, rhp, UCLA R/R 6'2" 185 20 11 2 1.37 14 0 119 62 33 175
8 Taylor Jungmann, rhp, Texas R/R 6'6" 220 21 12 0 0.95 14 0 114 66 23 109
9 Archie Bradley, rhp, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS R/R 6'3" 210 18 12 1 0.29 14 1 71 33 11 137
10 Taylor Guerrieri, rhp, Spring Valley HS, Columbia, S.C. R/R 6'2" 185 18 6 1 1.10 9 0 51 24 23 72
12 Sonny Gray, rhp, Vanderbilt R/R 5'11" 180 21 9 3 2.17 14 0 95 65 38 105
13 Matt Barnes, rhp, Connecticut R/R 6'4" 203 20 11 3 1.11 14 0 105 58 26 97
14 Jed Bradley, lhp, Georgia Tech L/L 6'4" 224 20 6 3 3.71 14 0 85 75 28 94
16 Daniel Norris, lhp, Science Hill HS, Johnson City, Tenn. L/L 6'2" 180 18 8 1 1.8 11 0 62 31 29 113
19 Alex Meyer, rhp, Kentucky R/R 6'9" 220 21 7 5 2.94 14 0 101 78 46 110
20 Jose Fernandez, rhp, Alonso HS, Tampa R/R 6'3" 215 18 13 1 1.35 16 0 93 51 21 134
23 John Stilson, rhp, Texas A&M R/R 6'3" 195 20 5 2 1.68 15 1 91 75 29 92
24 Tyler Anderson, lhp, Oregon L/L 6'4" 215 21 7 3 2.24 14 0 100 69 33 104
25 Robert Stephenson, rhp, Alhambra HS, Martinez, Calif. R/R 6'2" 185 18 7 2 1.33 13 0 64 29 23 132
31 Dillon Howard, rhp, Searcy (Ark.) HS R/R 6'2" 200 18 9 1 0.36 12 0 58 19 25 115
32 Matt Purke, lhp, Texas Christian L/L 6'4" 180 20 5 1 1.44 9 0 44 30 16 51
33 Henry Owens, lhp, Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif. L/L 6'5" 195 18 11 0 1.1 13 2 77 41 25 114
35 Tyler Beede, rhp, Lawrence Academy, Groton, Mass. R/R 6'4" 200 18 7 0 0.32 8 0 44 8 6 89
36 Joe Ross, rhp, Bishop O'Dowd HS, Oakland R/R 6'2" 180 18 5 4 0.92 13 2 61 40 15 85
38 Andrew Chafin, lhp, Kent State L/L 6'2" 210 20 6 1 2.14 12 0 71 49 19 91
39 Jorge Lopez, rhp, Academia de Milagrosa, Cayey, P.R. R/R 6'5" 175 18

41 Josh Osich, lhp, Oregon State L/L 6'3" 225 22 6 3 3.44 14 0 71 57 30 74
43 Kyle Winkler, rhp, Texas Christian R/R 5'11" 205 20 8 2 1.40 13 0 90 65 13 98
45 Michael Fulmer, rhp, Deer Creek HS, Edmond, Okla. R/R 6'3" 200
10 2 0.72 15 3 68 22 24 127
46 Dillon Maples, rhp, Pinecrest HS, Southern Pines, N.C. R/R 6'1" 175 19 9 0 0.53 11 2 67 18 25 139
47 Kyle Crick, rhp, Sherman (Texas) HS R/R 6'4" 220
7 2 1.11 13 1 63 24 44 95
48 Sean Gilmartin, lhp, Florida State L/L 6'2" 192 21 10 1 1.35 15 0 100 67 16 113
50 Tony Zych, rhp, Louisville R/R 6'3" 188 20 0 2 2.84 26 12 25 23 11 27
55 Anthony Meo, rhp, Coastal Carolina R/R 6'2" 185 21 8 3 2.42 14 0 93 82 28 99
56 Grayson Garvin, lhp, Vanderbilt L/L 6'6" 220 21 11 1 2.32 14 0 89 71 19 79
58 Hudson Boyd, rhp, Bishop Verot HS, Fort Myers, Fla. R/R 6'2" 235 18 12 0 0.46 14 0 76 36 26 123
60 Chris Reed, lhp, Stanford L/L 6'4" 190
6 2 2.80 25 6 45 33 13 47
62 Charlie Lowell, lhp, Wichita State L/L 6'4" 245 20 9 4 2.77 15 0 91 70 37 114
69 Adam Conley, lhp, Washington State L/L 6'3" 186 20 6 6 3.35 15 0 102 104 24 82
70 Andrew Gagnon, rhp, Long Beach State R/R 6'4" 195 20 4 9 2.80 14 0 93 71 36 82
74 Bryan Brickhouse, rhp, The Woodlands (Texas) HS R/R 6'2" 195 18 7 3 1.08 12 0 72 36 21 129
76 Michael Kelly, rhp, West Boca Raton (Fla.) HS R/R 6'4" 185 18 9 0 2.01 13 0 70 45 15 95
81 Lenny Linsky, rhp, Hawaii R/R 6'2" 205 21 1 1 1.39 25 12 32 24 7 31
90 Joe Musgrove, rhp, Grossmont HS, El Cajon, Calif. L/L 6'5" 230
6 3 2.48 11 2 62 60 8 73
91 Burch Smith, rhp, Oklahoma R/R 6'3" 192 21 9 3 3.82 13 0 73 70 25 78
93 Noe Ramirez, rhp, Cal State Fullerton R/R 6'3" 180 21 8 2 1.76 12 0 77 48 15 84
94 Kyle McMillen, rhp, Kent State L/R 6'2" 190 21 0 2 2.08 24 16 26 16 10 28
96 Matt Andriese, rhp, UC Riverside R/R 6'3" 205 21 4 5 2.91 13 0 87 85 22 70
97 Erik Johnson, rhp, California R/R 6'2" 240 21 6 2 1.94 13 0 84 52 37 80
98 Evan Marshall, rhp, Kansas State R/R 6'1" 207 21 4 5 1.67 27 1 54 40 14 48
99 Chris Marlowe, rhp, Oklahoma State R/R 6'1" 170 21 3 3 3.98 22 4 41 24 30 70
100 Logan Verrett, rhp, Baylor R/R 6'3" 185 20 6 4 2.78 14 0 87 81 23 85
102 Kevin Comer, rhp, Seneca HS, Tabernacle, N.J. R/R 6'4" 200 18 1 0 3.5 5 0 14 8 13 25
104 Dillon Peters, lhp, Cathedral HS, Indianapolis L/L 5'11" 185 19 7 1 1.71 9 0 53 30 27 103
105 Kevin Matthews, lhp, Richmond Hill (Ga.) HS R/L 6'0" 180 18 4 2 1.68 10 0 42 18 14 94
106 Kyle Smith, rhp, Santaluces HS, West Palm Beach, Fla. R/R 6'0" 180 18 9 1 0.4 13 0 69 46 13 116
110 Jeff Soptic, rhp, Johnson County (Kan.) CC R/R 6'6" 220 20 7 6 3.50 15 0 56 41 31 58
111 Colton Murray, rhp, Kansas R/R 6'0" 193 21 3 4 3.79 20 7 40 36 15 33
113 Navery Moore, rhp, Vanderbilt R/R 6'2" 205 20 4 2 1.32 26 9 27 18 11 25
114 Brooks Pinckard, rhp, Baylor L/R 6'1" 195 22 5 2 3.81 20 3 52 41 30 41
117 Bryce Bandilla, lhp, Arizona L/L 6'4" 237 21 4 3 3.98 28 1 41 30 32 44
119 Jeff Ames, rhp, Lower Columbia (Wash.) JC R/R 6'4" 220 20 7 1 2.30 12 0 82 39 22 101
120 J.R. Graham, rhp, Santa Clara R/R 6'0" 175 21 3 4 3.54 22 3 53 47 4 41
121 Cory Mazzoni, rhp, North Carolina State R/R 6'1" 194 21 4 6 3.61 14 0 100 83 27 116
123 Madison Boer, rhp, Oregon R/R 6'4" 215 21 3 6 2.31 17 2 97 80 35 72
125 Matt Summers, rhp, UC Irvine L/R 6'1" 205 21 9 2 1.90 14 0 95 64 29 85
126 Scott McGough, rhp, Oregon R/R 6'1" 185 21 2 6 4.28 29 4 48 49 24 54
127 Mason Hope, rhp, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS R/R 6'3" 180 18 7 1 2.4 12 0 58 39 29 103
128 Jake Reed, rhp, Helix Charter HS, La Mesa, Calif. R/R 6'0" 165 18 7 1 0.39 11 3 54 33 6 74
130 Nick Maronde, lhp, Florida S/L 6'3" 200 21 0 0 1.74 27 2 31 20 6 44
132 John Curtiss, rhp, Carroll HS, Southlake, Texas R/R 6'4" 190 18 9 0 0.95 12 1 67 43 21 95
134 Nick Burdi, rhp, Downers Grove (Ill.) South HS R/R 6'5" 215 18 5 1 1.64 7 0 26 13 8 46
135 Adrian Houser, rhp, Locust Grove (Okla.) HS R/R 6'4" 190 18

136 Adam Morgan, lhp, Alabama L/L 6'1" 180 21 5 5 3.89 14 0 88 86 22 71
137 Hawtin Buchanan, rhp, Biloxi (Miss.) HS L/R 6'7" 227 18 6 3 1.75 9 0 48 22 24 70
138 Daniel Camarena, lhp/of, Cathedral Catholic HS, San Diego L/L 6'1" 195 18 7 1 0.67 10 0 52 33 6 78
139 Kody Watts, rhp, Skyview HS, Vancouver, Wash. R/R 6'3" 185

140 Clay Holmes, rhp, Slocomb (Ala.) HS R/R 6'5" 210

141 Matt Price, rhp, South Carolina R/R 6'2" 215 21 5 3 2.59 27 15 42 30 13 56
149 Aaron Brown, of/lhp, Chatsworth (Calif.) L/L 6'2" 200
8 2 2.33 10 0 48 37 25 67
151 Carter Capps, rhp, Mount Olive (N.C.) R/R 6'5" 220 20

152 Jack Armstrong Jr., rhp, Vanderbilt R/R 6'7" 225 21 0 1 2.81 11 0 16 5 16 15
153 Kyle McMyne, rhp, Villanova R/R 6'0" 212 21 4 8 4.75 14 0 78 77 49 94
154 Cody Kukuk, lhp, Free State HS, Lawrence, Kan. L/L 6'4" 200 18 7 1 2.89 13 1 53 27 43 103
155 Andrew Suarez, lhp, Columbus HS, Miami L/L 6'2" 185 18

156 Austin Wood, rhp, Southern California R/R 6'4" 220 20 5 6 5.13 15 0 74 86 32 47
158 Carson Smith, rhp, Texas State R/R 6'5" 215 21 8 3 1.98 14 0 95 77 41 114
161 Cole Green, rhp, Texas R/R 6'1" 210 22 6 3 3.11 15 0 84 69 17 87
162 Tyler Pill, rhp, Cal State Fullerton L/R 6'1" 185 21 5 1 2.29 14 0 83 67 19 91
163 Aaron Nola, rhp, Catholic HS, Baton Rouge R/R 6'1" 165 17 7 1 0.8 12 1 45 30 9 66
164 Mark Pope, rhp, Georgia Tech R/R 6'2" 205 21 11 3 1.54 14 0 105 81 21 85
169 Michael Cederoth, rhp, Steele Canyon HS, Spring Valley, Calif. R/R 6'6" 190
3 3 2.37 10 1 59 46 24 88
170 Pat Connaughton, rhp, St. John's Prep, Danvers, Mass. R/R 6'5" 190 18 2 1 1.13 6 1 31 16 15 55
171 Ian Gardeck, rhp, Angelina (Texas) JC R/R 6'2" 225 20

173 Taylor Hill, rhp, Vanderbilt R/R 6'4" 225 22 4 0 3.16 14 0 77 73 19 67
174 Kylin Turnbull, lhp, Santa Barbara (Calif.) CC L/L 6'4" 195 21 5 2 2.47 11 0 80 69 17 92
175 Sam Gaviglio, rhp, Oregon State R/R 6'1" 195 21 11 1 1.72 14 0 100 73 23 96
176 Jake Sisco, rhp, Merced (Calif.) JC R/R 6'3" 200 19

177 David Goforth, rhp, Mississippi R/R 5'11" 191 22 4 8 4.88 14 0 83 87 27 63
178 Matt Stites, rhp, Missouri R/R 6'0" 181 21

179 Cody Hebner, rhp, Green River (Wash.) CC R/R 6'0" 160

182 Jake Cave, lhp/of, Kecoughtan HS, Hampton, Va. L/L 6'0" 180 18 5 3 1.9 10 1 48 32 24 89
183 Kyle Simon, rhp, Arizona R/R 6'5" 219 20

184 Blake Snell, lhp, Shorewood HS, Shoreline, Wash. L/L 6'4" 190 18 7 0 1.14 11 1 49 22 24 103
187 Mike Wright, rhp, East Carolina R/R 6'5" 195 21 6 3 2.95 14 0 85 69 24 66
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sun May 29, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 am

Homeawayfromhome, I love you. (even if the alignment is whack)

I've been away from the MLB Draft scene for a while (and now it's time to cram), but back when I was looking at this class a while ago I remember seeing the 3B Travis Harrison as a high draft pick, maybe even a possible guy for the Tribe in the 1st. What happened, out of curiosity?

Edit: Same with Preston Tucker.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:@ Rocky55 I was pointing out the differences in some listings. I saw 5'11 elsewhere and that's the common thought. FYI part of the reason Rendon is consider by many a 2b. Baez was listed or reported 6'1 200 but Mlb.com has him 6'0 180.

Alright dude, who are some of the many who consider Rendon a 2B? It can't be his height, I have a list of 20 guys in MLB right now who are 3B's, & who are 6' & under. Adrian Beltre is 5'11". David Wright is 6'. I averaged the height of all of the 3B's in MLB with more than 50 AB's & it came to 6'0.3". All that I've ever read, besides seeing Rendon play 3B with my own eyes, is that he has the talent to be a GG caliber 3B. The official website of his team says he's 6', PG says he's 6', the MLB site, for which you provided the link, says he's 6'.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 29, 2011 8:44 am

Where did he play the other night? Look personally I don't care where he ends up, he won't be here... I did say he could have Uggla potential with his stick, that's good for a 2b or 3baseman. Have you really not read an article that said Rendon could end up at 2b. I'm not concerned with his height... His shldr and ankles (combo w/ height) is the problem potentially and 2b is considered a less demanding position than third. Did you see I also mention Jed Bradley, and Javier Baez. If the injuries persist Rendons career not just position could be in jeopardy. I'll try to post an article from a cpl days ago on Mlbtraderumors.com. Guess I should have said injuries too, assumed every body knew about those... That's his biggest knock... Not his height. But I will suggest he's injury prone.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk