Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Rank the Prospects We Got in this Year's Trades

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Rank the Prospects We Got in this Year's Trades

Postby dc101 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Right now, there are only 4. But how would you rank Kluber, Carrerra, Diaz, and Soto, first against each other, and then relative to the rest of our prospects?

Judging by what I've read, I think my list would look like this:

1. Kluber - Top 10-15 prospects
2. Soto - Top 20-25 prospects
3. Diaz - Top 30-40 prospects
4. Carrerra - Top 50 prospects

I really like the additions of Kluber and Soto, and feel like Diaz could add something down the road. I'm interested to see Soto and Haley kind of grow up together, as both are high risk/high reward type of pitchers. Kluber, I think, could contend for a rotation slot next year.

I'm hopeful though that we go with the PTBN in the Kearns and Wood deals, and attempt to add some corner IF/OF power. I know that good prospects at those positions are hard to come by, but just for the depth in our organization, I'd take a flyer on a pure power hitter that might have some other glaring flaws. The big league team doesn't have anyone with more than 13 HRs, and it's August. After Weglarz, there is nothing close to a power prospect anywhere in the minors, best I can tell. And we didn't even take a flyer on a corner IF/OF power guy anywhere in the draft. This organization desperately needs an influx of power.
dc101
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Rank the Prospects We Got in this Year's Trades

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Just adding to the discussion, Indians may have gotten more in Diaz than they thought. He is considered the best defensive infielder in the system behind only Asdrubal Cabrera.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Consigliere wrote:Just adding to the discussion, Indians may have gotten more in Diaz than they thought. He is considered the best defensive infielder in the system behind only Asdrubal Cabrera.

If that's truely the case (& not spin), the Mariners would do well in the future to hang up the phone when the Indians call to talk trade and remove Cleveland from its phone listing.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 pm

dc101 wrote:Right now, there are only 4. But how would you rank Kluber, Carrerra, Diaz, and Soto, first against each other, and then relative to the rest of our prospects?

I really like the additions of Kluber and Soto, and feel like Diaz could add something down the road. I'm interested to see Soto and Haley kind of grow up together, as both are high risk/high reward type of pitchers. Kluber, I think, could contend for a rotation slot next year.

I'm hopeful though that we go with the PTBN in the Kearns and Wood deals, and attempt to add some corner IF/OF power. I know that good prospects at those positions are hard to come by, but just for the depth in our organization, I'd take a flyer on a pure power hitter that might have some other glaring flaws. The big league team doesn't have anyone with more than 13 HRs, and it's August. After Weglarz, there is nothing close to a power prospect anywhere in the minors, best I can tell. And we didn't even take a flyer on a corner IF/OF power guy anywhere in the draft. This organization desperately needs an influx of power.

Look, I know you have to be pretty much a diehard Indians fan and you really want to believe that the Indians just didn't take some C prospects in trades for their veterans but I doubt if your rankings would even apply if we were talking about the Lake Eries Crushers organization.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby ktriber » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:17 am

Consigliere wrote:Just adding to the discussion, Indians may have gotten more in Diaz than they thought. He is considered the best defensive infielder in the system behind only Asdrubal Cabrera.

Diaz is definitely smooth at short. I guess it is his size and length, but he makes most plays look easy. But then again, I have been watching Rivas all year.
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby stoike » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:33 pm

dnosco wrote:
dc101 wrote:Right now, there are only 4. But how would you rank Kluber, Carrerra, Diaz, and Soto, first against each other, and then relative to the rest of our prospects?

Look, I know you have to be pretty much a diehard Indians fan and you really want to believe that the Indians just didn't take some C prospects in trades for their veterans but I doubt if your rankings would even apply if we were talking about the Lake Eries Crushers organization.

Ah, always a pleasure to hear from Mr. Sunshine. While the C prospects comment was the usual stupid, thoughtless and brainless blather from DN, one cannot argue that the Tribe got much less talent for their castoffs this year then they did last year. But these players we traded this season are all flawed, so one could not expect the same return as last season for two all-star level players. Besides that, I think the Indians just wanted to clear room for the kids to play...that was the goal first and foremost.

We got a solid pitcher and a talented young lefty with projection, and a talented young shortstop. Could have been worse!
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Not sure that's a good thing or bad thing.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 am

I don't really see any high potential prospects except, possibly, for a projectible Soto but it would be hard to argue that the four have not improved the organization at all IMO. We might be pleasantly surprised with the Yankee prospects we get on 8/20 and 10/20 (or before). Soto looks better to me than any LHP, other than Pomeranz, that we selected in the draft.

I am not sure I would be as dismissive about Washinton's power potential as dc101. Or Burnett who has some serious holes but squares up pretty well in the zone. Both might surprise us.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TitoFrancona » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:16 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I don't really see any high potential prospects except, possibly, for a projectible Soto but it would be hard to argue that the four have not improved the organization at all IMO. We might be pleasantly surprised with the Yankee prospects we get on 8/20 and 10/20 (or before). Soto looks better to me than any LHP, other than Pomeranz, that we selected in the draft.

I am not sure I would be as dismissive about Washinton's power potential as dc101. Or Burnett who has some serious holes but squares up pretty well in the zone. Both might surprise us.

I agree. Soto is about the only player they got that I see breaking the top 50. Kluber has a chance to be a mopup type pitcher in the majors. But minus Soto, nothing to see here.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby stoike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:31 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I don't really see any high potential prospects except, possibly, for a projectible Soto but it would be hard to argue that the four have not improved the organization at all IMO. We might be pleasantly surprised with the Yankee prospects we get on 8/20 and 10/20 (or before). Soto looks better to me than any LHP, other than Pomeranz, that we selected in the draft.

I agree. Soto is about the only player they got that I see breaking the top 50. Kluber has a chance to be a mopup type pitcher in the majors. But minus Soto, nothing to see here.

I think that we may be selling Kluber short. Guess we shall see.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 pm

stoike wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:

I think that we may be selling Kluber short. Guess we shall see.

Just talking about ceiling, stoike. Or, at least I am. I believe Kluber will be a decent MOR/BOR but we have many of those in the organization right now. There is an old saying that you cannot have too much young pitching because young pitching is always injured. We have seen a lot of arms go down the last 12 months, some likely have a higher ceiling than Kluber. Personally, after watching Carrera defend CF, I would not sell him short either. Diaz will have to wait for my endorsement but there is no doubt he has some moves on defense. I will wait on the Yankee prospects. Gammons wrote a nice article today which hinted that we will be receiving viable prospects from the Yankees. His sources are a whole lot better than mine but I keep hearing Melky Cabrera as a name for Kearns in two weeks. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:36 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:ust talking about ceiling, stoike. Or, at least I am. I believe Kluber will be a decent MOR/BOR but we have many of those in the organization right now. There is an old saying that you cannot have too much young pitching because young pitching is always injured. We have seen a lot of arms go down the last 12 months, some likely have a higher ceiling than Kluber. Personally, after watching Carrera defend CF, I would not sell him short either. Diaz will have to wait for my endorsement but there is no doubt he has some moves on defense. I will wait on the Yankee prospects. Gammons wrote a nice article today which hinted that we will be receiving viable prospects from the Yankees. His sources are a whole lot better than mine but I keep hearing Melky Cabrera as a name for Kearns in two weeks. :pleasantry:

ha, I hope this is a joke to make fun of Gammons?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby toledobuck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 am

I believe that the deadline to receive a prospect back from the trades to NY is 8/20. It was implied that the only deal that may lead to a prospect instead of money was the Kearns to NYY deal. Everything else looks like a cash deal. I was thinking that the Tribe spending a bunch on the draft might influence whether they opt for cash in all the deals or press for a player with upside in the Kearns deal. I guess we will find out by the end of the week....
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 am

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:ust talking about ceiling, stoike. Or, at least I am. I believe Kluber will be a decent MOR/BOR but we have many of those in the organization right now. There is an old saying that you cannot have too much young pitching because young pitching is always injured. We have seen a lot of arms go down the last 12 months, some likely have a higher ceiling than Kluber. Personally, after watching Carrera defend CF, I would not sell him short either. Diaz will have to wait for my endorsement but there is no doubt he has some moves on defense. I will wait on the Yankee prospects. Gammons wrote a nice article today which hinted that we will be receiving viable prospects from the Yankees. His sources are a whole lot better than mine but I keep hearing Melky Cabrera as a name for Kearns in two weeks. :pleasantry:

I think that should be Melky Mesa.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:16 pm

I was hoping we could get a high upside SP in the NYY low minors like a Dellin Betances.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby tribefan611 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 pm

toledobuck wrote:I was hoping we could get a high upside SP in the NYY low minors like a Dellin Betances.

Why would we want a SP at this point?
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby ubersweet987 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:35 pm

toledobuck wrote:I was hoping we could get a high upside SP in the NYY low minors like a Dellin Betances.

There is no chance that the Indians get Dellin Betances for Austin Kearns.
ubersweet987
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

I don't see the Braves getting rid of Melky. They just acquired Carlos Lee for 1b. They have Matt Diaz (hits lefties real well) and Eric Hinskie playing the corner OF. Ankiel in CF with Melky filling in when needed. Melky has really been a good OF for the Braves this year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby tribefan611 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:38 pm

You know there is already a Kearns trade thread.
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby tribefan611 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

daingean wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I don't see the Braves getting rid of Melky. They just acquired Carlos Lee for 1b. They have Matt Diaz (hits lefties real well) and Eric Hinskie playing the corner OF. Ankiel in CF with Melky filling in when needed. Melky has really been a good OF for the Braves this year.

1. They got Derek Lee.
2. We aren't talking about the Braves. Wrong Melky!
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

If the Indians could get Dellin Betances for the two month rental of Austin Kearns, all Indians fans should name their next born after Mark Shapiro. The goal here is to simply get a player who has more upside than an organizational filler, and Melky Mesa fits that description. He has a major flaw or two (contact issues and I haven't heard for certain if he requires being rostered), but he has some nice tools. If he didn't have those flaws, he wouldn't be on the list of available players to choose from.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby tpaquette78 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:31 pm

daingean wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Wow! Really? :s_crazy
tpaquette78
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:54 pm

I just realized I said Melky Cabrera and not Melky Mesa. Official dumbass mistake! :wacko:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

SP Ivan Nova may be in play for Kearns. He is a 23 year old starter that is doing quite well in AAA this year. I do not know if he is rule 5 elligible this year but he seems to be a fantastic pick up for Kearns if this happens.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Getting Nova would be awesome.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby bmonnig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:49 pm

toledobuck wrote:SP Ivan Nova may be in play for Kearns. He is a 23 year old starter that is doing quite well in AAA this year. I do not know if he is rule 5 elligible this year but he seems to be a fantastic pick up for Kearns if this happens.

Looks like he would need to go on the 40.

In December 2008, Nova was selected by the San Diego Padres in the Rule 5 draft.[1] However, he was returned to the Yankees at the end of the 2009 spring training.[2] Following the 2009 season, Nova was added to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iv%C3%A1n_Nova
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 am

Well, I have had the chance to see them all and it looks to me like they all qualify as midlevel or above prospects but none are elite. I would rank them as follows:

1. Kluber- Solid pitcher close to ML ready and may have MOR ceiling.

2. Carrera- Profiles as a 4th OF with the Indians. Exceptional defense with speed and no power.

3. McAllistair- Should have been the best of the lot. Command is suffering this year at AAA but young enough to recover.

4. Soto- Question his projection. Needs to put on 30-35 lbs. No question he will add 2 feet to his fastball but will he add more?

5. Diaz- Quite a nice player who should start next year in Akron. Looks like a giant spider at SS. Would be higher if I thought he would stay at SS but that looks unlikely to me.

Not a bad haul IMO. All are useful to the organization and replaced weaker players. Any of these guys could make the Indians.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 am

I have not been following the Tribe farm system closely since the mid-1990s, so I speak with a degree of ignorance. That being said, it seems to me that the Tribe farm system is awash in very solid pitching. Maybe no all-star studs to speak of but lots of serviceable major league pitchers.

It is striking that Tomlin and Gomez have both been effective at the MLB level, yet I bet most observers would not necessarily considered them among the best 10 or 15 pitching prospects in the system as of July 1.

Next year we have seven guys fighting for 5 MLB rotation slots:

Carmona
Talbot
Tomlin
Masterson
Carrasco
Gomez
Huff

We have eight guys battling for 5 AAA rotation slots:

Espino
Kluber
McAllister
White
Barnes
De la Cruz
Berger
Packer
(and then there is Rondon who would be on this list were it not for Tommy John)

I assume one or two of those eight guys will remain in AA. We also have six more legitimate prospects battling for the 5 AA rotation slots:

House
Gardner
McFarland
Adams
Mahalic
Popham

And then there is high A Kinston where we have an oversupply of prospects who are fighting for the five rotation slots:

Knapp
Pomeranz
Blair
Clayton Cook
Soto
Brach
Haley
(plus Alexander Perez and Danny Salazar should be healthy and they are good prospects)

In short, it seems like we are swimming in starting talent. Some of these guys will clearly falter and some will go to the pen, but the pen too is jammed with good prospects throughout the system.
Last edited by elrod enchilada on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 am

I see I mentioned Barnes twice under AAA prospects. I meant to put Berger.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:58 am

elrod enchilada wrote:I see I mentioned Barnes twice under AAA prospects. I meant to put Berger.

You could go in and 'edit' your 1st posting......
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 am

I will have to learn how to do that.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:27 am

done. not that hard. I learn something new every day.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi e e, some thoughts on your list. I think your list for potential ML pitchers should include Reyes. I know some think he will be dropped from the 40 but I don't think so unless the medical evidence is stacked against him. In the AAA list, DLC is headed back to Akron. They won't rush his recovery. Packer is unlikely to be starting in AAA IMO. Relief or AA I would think. While Espino is a candidate for the rotation, I suspect his future is in the pen. In your AA list, all could be candidates but I suspect McFarland, Adams and Mahalic are destined for the pen. Just a guess on my part. Kinston will be real crowded and will depend on health to some extent.

I would not be shocked to see this list trimmed somewhat over the winter. There are big organizational holes to be be filled at 1B and corner OF power. There is an overabundance of RH pitching both starters and relievers. When the Indians deal minor leaguers, they generally do so from positions of organizational strength and you have pointed out very accurately that this is the tribe's greatest depth area. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 am

Just adding to the discussion, Indians may have gotten more in Diaz than they thought. He is considered the best defensive infielder in the system behind only Asdrubal Cabrera.
Not sure that's a good thing or bad thing.....

Kyle Bellows = best infield glove man.

Hermie.. Drooobs is a good glove guy & please don't haul out the UZR and UZR150 stats..again..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk