RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:20 pm

A little early for this thread, but Triple-A manager Mike Sarbaugh will be managing a team out in the AFL this year.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 am

Interesting selection. Who has had the duty the past few seasons???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Interesting selection. Who has had the duty the past few seasons???


Jim Rickon was hitting coach last year, and Ruben Niebla piching coach the year before.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby gotribe31 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Any ideas on who we might be sending? Kipnis/Chizz?
gotribe31
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:48 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Any ideas on who we might be sending? Kipnis/Chizz?


No idea, but my guess is definitely Kipnis/Chiz. Probably Alex White if he isn't on a restricted IP count. Others to consider would be Jordan Henry, Bryce Stowell, Eric Berger (very likely actually), Vinnie Pestano, Cord Phelps, Scott Barnes, Rob Bryson, Kelvin De la Cruz, Paolo Espino, Nick Hagadone, Chen Lee, Bryan Price, and John Drennen.

Really, there are a lot of possibilities from the Akron squad.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Any word on what team the Indians' prospects are going to this year?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Any word on what team the Indians' prospects are going to this year?


No, that will all be determined when rosters are announced in about 4 weeks.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Consigliere wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Any ideas on who we might be sending? Kipnis/Chizz?


No idea, but my guess is definitely Kipnis/Chiz. Probably Alex White if he isn't on a restricted IP count. Others to consider would be Jordan Henry, Bryce Stowell, Eric Berger (very likely actually), Vinnie Pestano, Cord Phelps, Scott Barnes, Rob Bryson, Kelvin De la Cruz, Paolo Espino, Nick Hagadone, Chen Lee, Bryan Price, and John Drennen.

Really, there are a lot of possibilities from the Akron squad.


Curious about Goedert as a choice?


Tribe sent J-Rod and Rivero last year. Both got some experience at new positions (Rivero playing some 3B and J-Rod in CF). Seems like a nice chance to get him some reps in the OF or 1B. Make him a super-utility guy heading into next year. If he's not traded, really what's the downside there? He has already played a handful of gams in the OF (and 2B) right? :dunno:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 am

I don't believe there is any interest in making Goedert a super utility guy. Also, not that it was mentioned, but no shot he goes since Chisenhall will be at 3B.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby toledobuck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 am

Judy could make a repeat performance out in AZ since he started the season a little late due to injury. I still think they view Judy as well as Putnam and Price as true big league relief prospects starting in 2011 - 2012.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Consigliere wrote:I don't believe there is any interest in making Goedert a super utility guy. Also, not that it was mentioned, but no shot he goes since Chisenhall will be at 3B.


hmm, fair enough. What was up with the 4 games in the OF at Akron this year then? Just fills in since he was a non-prospect or what?

Seems like his ability to finally hit again would give the Tribe more reasons to try him in the OF again....but o well
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:32 pm

If I got to pick, I'd send Kip, Chizz, Wegz, Bryson, Rondon (as an RP) and De La Cruz. I'd like to see White out there, but its probably asking a little much after his 1st year in pro ball to go pitch in a league as tough as the AFL.

Looks like Sarbaugh is managing the Peoria Javelinas, and the Tribe contingent that does go will be playing for him.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Schedules have been released, rosters coming soon.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 pm

My guesses who gets the most consideration...assuming no one repeats...

L. Chisenhall
J. Kipnis
E. Berger (lock)
P. Espino
Y. Pino
J. Goedert
C. Phelps
B. Mills
B. Price
M. Packer
C. Lee
T. Fedroff
J. Henry

Hagadone would be a definite candidate, but I think they are going to monitor his innings and not send him. Will be interesting who they choose to send between Chisenhall/Goedert at 3B and Phelps/Kipnis at 2B. Players all go to same team, and they are likely not going to send two players at each position and have one sit most of the time.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:18 am

Hearing Indians are really pushing for Chun Chen to go to AFL. Deciding factor may come down to if he does not play for his country in offseason ball.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby jellis » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:31 am

I know it might seem odd but would like to see phelps out there but playing 3B, if he can play there with his ability to get on base, he seems like an ideal candidate to be a stop gap at 3B then your super utility guy
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:40 am

jellis wrote:I know it might seem odd but would like to see phelps out there but playing 3B, if he can play there with his ability to get on base, he seems like an ideal candidate to be a stop gap at 3B then your super utility guy

I really hope you are wrong and think it would be a serious mistake. Phelps is the Indians best 2B. Trying to make him a utility player would be the wrong course. Like most of your ideas jellis but, IMO, this would be really bad. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm

We have to do something about the fact that Phelps and Kipnis both play the same position, and both will be major league ready by 2012, if not 2011. Both, right now, are among our five best position prospects. On the surface it would seem that Kipnis is the slightly preferred prospect because of his bat, and that he has less ability to switch to another infield position.

So I do not think it is crazy to consider Phelps at either 3b or SS for next season. 3b if he goes to the majors, and SS if he stays at AAA.

But if we did not have Kipnis, we would not even be having this conversation. Since we do, I suspect the Tribe brain trusts is giving the matter a great deal of thought.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Why do we HAVE to do something about it? Let's see how they perform at the major league level first before moving one of them to another position or trading the one that doesn't make the cut.

I think you could easily play Phelps every day for the Tribe next year, while letting Kipnis work on his skills in AAA. Then by ST 2012, see which one gets the starting nod.
User avatar
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby petes999 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I agree that we shouldn't do anything with Phelps and Kipnis. And, if they are having trouble at 2nd (not gold glove), why move them to a harder position like SS or 3B? Plus, by the time they finally get 3B down well enough to be promoted, we have Chisenhall followed by Bellows and Ushela. It is not like you do 20 or so games at Arizona and become a 3B man. If Goedhart, is having trouble after a full season, why would someone just be plopped in there without prior experience?

If anything, I would put Donald at 3B to see if he can become a super utility guy (filling in 4 games or so a week between 2nd/3rd and SS) and give Phelps time at 2nd in Spring with Kipnis in the fall. But, Donald has only played 3 games at 3B ... so that won't be an easy change ... but he can't be worse than Valbuena and Nix.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:44 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Why do we HAVE to do something about it? Let's see how they perform at the major league level first before moving one of them to another position or trading the one that doesn't make the cut.

I think you could easily play Phelps every day for the Tribe next year, while letting Kipnis work on his skills in AAA. Then by ST 2012, see which one gets the starting nod.


Agreed.

Though I do think down the road, assuming Kipnis/Phelps (and even Donald) play well, that Phelps is going to have to show more versatility. If Kipnis translates, he is the future 2B for years to come. No ifs ands or buts. So it means Phelps and Donald will need to show some versatility. Donald can play SS and some 3B, so he fits the ideal situation as a super utility guy down the road if we go that route....so I could see the Indians having Phelps play some 3B (or even OF) this fall/winter to try him out.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby gotribe31 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 am

TonyIPI wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:Why do we HAVE to do something about it? Let's see how they perform at the major league level first before moving one of them to another position or trading the one that doesn't make the cut.

I think you could easily play Phelps every day for the Tribe next year, while letting Kipnis work on his skills in AAA. Then by ST 2012, see which one gets the starting nod.


Agreed.

Though I do think down the road, assuming Kipnis/Phelps (and even Donald) play well, that Phelps is going to have to show more versatility. If Kipnis translates, he is the future 2B for years to come. No ifs ands or buts. So it means Phelps and Donald will need to show some versatility. Donald can play SS and some 3B, so he fits the ideal situation as a super utility guy down the road if we go that route....so I could see the Indians having Phelps play some 3B (or even OF) this fall/winter to try him out.


I think we should make them both catchers.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:43 am

gotribe31 wrote:I think we should make them both catchers.


Let's just make 'em all catchers. :drinks:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby gotribe31 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:I think we should make them both catchers.


Let's just make 'em all catchers. :drinks:


The world would be a much better place!
gotribe31
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Any word on if there's going to be a Parallel League again?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:06 pm

AFL rosters supposed to be released this evening. Also, as for a Parallel League, I am unsure, but it went well last year so I think there will be a league again. Possibly a legit league this time too.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 pm

A. Castrovince says its Kipnis, Phelps, Barnes, Berger, C Lee with two more TBA.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:A. Castrovince says its Kipnis, Phelps, Barnes, Berger, C Lee with two more TBA.
Having both Kipnis and Phelps is interesting. I think we might be seeing Phelps playing some other positions besides 2B.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm a little surprised Chun Chen and Jason Knapp are not listed.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I'm a little surprised Chun Chen and Jason Knapp are not listed.
They're not necessarily not listed yet... still says two more TBA.

EDIT: And can't you only bring one player in A-ball?
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 pm

Can only have one guy from below AA, so both Chen and Knapp can't go.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm

I have to wonder if they'll want to send Knapp.

I understand that they'll probably want him to get more innings but, with the caliber of arms that'll probably be going, I'm not convinced Knapp will get a chance to start. So, would the Tribe want him pitching out of the pen? I don't know.

On the subject of Phelps playing other positions, that might be an option. Or, he may just be on the Taxi squad and only get the opportunity to play twice a week, so might just be going as a reserve 2Bman.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Jake Taylor wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:A. Castrovince says its Kipnis, Phelps, Barnes, Berger, C Lee with two more TBA.
Having both Kipnis and Phelps is interesting. I think we might be seeing Phelps playing some other positions besides 2B.


Dustin Ackley is on the same team too....so definitley looks like Phelps will be playing some 3B (especially with no Chiz being sent there).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Peoria Javelina roster:

Pitchers Team B T Ht. Wt. DOB Birthplace 2010 Club
Scott Barnes CLE L L 6–4 191 09/05/87 Springfield, MA Akron (AA)
Eric Berger CLE L L 6–3 210 04/22/86 Greensboro, NC Columbus (AAA)
Maikel Cleto SEA R R 6–1 210 05/01/89 Santo Domingo, DR High Desert (High A)
Matt Daly TOR R R 5–10 182 08/14/86 Yorba Linda, CA Dunedin (High A)
Alana Farina TOR R R 5–11 195 08/09/86 Winter Park, FL New Hampshire (AA)
Dan Farquhar TOR R R 5–11 180 02/19/87 Pembrook Pines, FL New Hampshire (AA)
Josh Fields SEA R R 6–0 185 08/19/85 Hull, GA West Tennessee (AA)
Seth Garrison BOS S R 6–5 220 08/13/85 Fort Worth, TX Salem (High A)
Kyle Greenwalt HOU R R 6–0 200 09/29/88 Sellersville, PA Lancaster (High A)
Josh Lueke SEA R R 6–5 220 12/05/84 Highland Heights, KY Tacoma (AAA)
Chen-Chang Lee CLE R R 5–11 175 10/21/86 Peng-Hu County, TW Akron (AA)
Matt Nevarez HOU R R 6–4 220 02/26/87 Mission Hills, CA Corpus Christi (AA)
Sergio Perez HOU R R 6–3 230 12/05/84 Tampa, FL Round Rock (AAA)
Jason Rice BOS R R 6–0 190 05/13/86 Los Angeles, CA Portland (AA)
Dan Turpen BOS R R 6–4 230 08/17/86 McMinnville, OR Portland (AA)
Patrick Urckfitz HOU L L 6–3 190 07/21/88 Rochester, NY Lancaster (High A)
Thomas Wilhelmsen SEA R R 6–6 197 12/16/83 Tucson, AZ West Tennessee (AA)
TBA BOS
TBA CLE
TBA TOR

Catchers Team B T Ht. Wt. DOB Birthplace 2010 Club
Ryan Lavarnway BOS R R 6–4 225 08/07/87 Woodland Hills, CA Portland (AA)
TBA CLE

Infielders Team B T Ht. Wt. DOB Birthplace 2010 Club
Dustin Ackley SEA L R 6–1 185 02/26/88 Winston-Salem, NC Tacoma (AAA)
Koby Clemens HOU R R 5–11 193 12/04/86 Houston, TX Corpus Christi (AA)
Adeiny Hechavarria TOR R R 5–11 180 04/15/89 Santiago de Cuba, Cuba New Hampshire (AA)
Jose Iglesias BOS R R 5–11 175 01/05/09 Havana, Cuba Portland (AA)
Jason Kipnis CLE L R 5-11 185 04/03/87 Evanston, IL Akron (AA)
Matt Mangini SEA L R 6–4 220 12/21/85 Springfield, MA Tacoma (AAA)
Mike McDade TOR S R 6–1 210 05/08/89 Las Vegas, NV Dunedin (High A)
Cord Phelps CLE S R 6–2 200 01/23/87 Stanford, CA Columbus (AAA)

Outfielders Team B T Ht. Wt. DOB Birthplace 2010 Club
Juan Carlos Linares BOS R R 5–11 190 09/07/84 Havana, Cuba Portland (AA)
T.J. Steele HOU R R 6–3 185 09/21/86 Tucson, AZ Corpus Christi (AA)
J.B. Shuck HOU L L 5–11 185 06/18/87 Galion, OH Round Rock (AAA)
Eric Thames TOR L R 6–0 205 11/10/86 Santa Clara, CA New Hampshire (AA)
Nate Tenbrink SEA L R 6–2 202 12/21/86 Olathe, KS West Tennessee (AA)
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm

So, it has to be nailed on that Chen is going then, surely?

Cleveland catcher as TBA.... who else is there?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby wildcat insider » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:17 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Can only have one guy from below AA, so both Chen and Knapp can't go.



I believe the rule is 1 player under AA and 1 designated foreign player under AA
wildcat insider
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 pm

wildcat insider wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Can only have one guy from below AA, so both Chen and Knapp can't go.



I believe the rule is 1 player under AA and 1 designated foreign player under AA


Yeah, I don't think the 1 foreign player and 1 player below Double-A rule applies to the same person. Can use for two different players I would think. Here are the rules:

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

- All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
- One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
- One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.
- No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
- To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:So, it has to be nailed on that Chen is going then, surely?

Cleveland catcher as TBA.... who else is there?


Only thing I can think is maybe Roberto Perez? I dunno...Atkins is already quoted as saying they are trying to get Chen in the AFL.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:31 pm

Looking at the Rules that Tony posted, I wonder if Knapp is even eligible. Wasn't he on the DL to start the season till he got to Lake County??

Looking at the next to last rule, I wonder if the Tribe wants send Ambriz to get him some work.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Looking at the Rules that Tony posted, I wonder if Knapp is even eligible. Wasn't he on the DL to start the season till he got to Lake County??

Looking at the next to last rule, I wonder if the Tribe wants send Ambriz to get him some work.


Knapp would be eligible as he was off DL in Arizona back on July 24. Coincidentally, from July 24 to Sept 6 which is the end of the Captains season, it gives him exactly 45 days.

And I think Ambriz could be an option.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Just got word from the Indians, Kipnis will 100% strictly play 2B. Phelps will play some 2B, but will mostly play 3B.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:37 pm

By the way, Indians also say that after discussing pros/cons with Chisenhall on playing in the AFL vs more time for rest, recovery, and strength training that it was decided he not play in the AFL. Reading between the lines and in other words, they want to give his shoulder time to heal and be 100% for next year.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Sounds like a reasonable plan, Tony. My big question on position sharing is what happens to Ackley? We like our Kipnis and Phelps but let's be realistic. He will be superior to both. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:54 pm

TonyIPI wrote:By the way, Indians also say that after discussing pros/cons with Chisenhall on playing in the AFL vs more time for rest, recovery, and strength training that it was decided he not play in the AFL. Reading between the lines and in other words, they want to give his shoulder time to heal and be 100% for next year.


Not a horrible idea - letting Lonnie get back to 100% for next season. During this rebuild process, the Tribe could suffer a last place finish this season but not again next season.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:03 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Sounds like a reasonable plan, Tony. My big question on position sharing is what happens to Ackley? We like our Kipnis and Phelps but let's be realistic. He will be superior to both. :pleasantry:


That's the million dollar question, and something we will have to see play out once AFl action gets going in about 6 weeks.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Sounds like a reasonable plan, Tony. My big question on position sharing is what happens to Ackley? We like our Kipnis and Phelps but let's be realistic. He will be superior to both. :pleasantry:


That's the million dollar question, and something we will have to see play out once AFl action gets going in about 6 weeks.

I have had another thought which may not make some posters real happy. It was one thing for Goedert to be passed over for Chisenhall but it appears to me the handwriting is on the wall when the team chooses to send Phelps to play 3B over Goedert. It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me because I disagree with the "experts" who think that Goedert is an average defender and a big time ML bat. But others have to look at this as confimation that Goedert does not really fit in the Indians' long term plans. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby tpaquette78 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Sounds like a reasonable plan, Tony. My big question on position sharing is what happens to Ackley? We like our Kipnis and Phelps but let's be realistic. He will be superior to both. :pleasantry:


That's the million dollar question, and something we will have to see play out once AFl action gets going in about 6 weeks.

I have had another thought which may not make some posters real happy. It was one thing for Goedert to be passed over for Chisenhall but it appears to me the handwriting is on the wall when the team chooses to send Phelps to play 3B over Goedert. It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me because I disagree with the "experts" who think that Goedert is an average defender and a big time ML bat. But others have to look at this as confimation that Goedert does not really fit in the Indians' long term plans. :pleasantry:



I think it is more of they think Phelps has more of an upside than anything.
tpaquette78
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 am

indianinkslinger wrote:I have had another thought which may not make some posters real happy. It was one thing for Goedert to be passed over for Chisenhall but it appears to me the handwriting is on the wall when the team chooses to send Phelps to play 3B over Goedert. It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me because I disagree with the "experts" who think that Goedert is an average defender and a big time ML bat. But others have to look at this as confimation that Goedert does not really fit in the Indians' long term plans. :pleasantry:


Don't forget, the Indians rostered Wes Hodges last year, a guy arguably more defensively challenged (at 3B) than Goedert and with much less performance.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:29 am

TonyIPI wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I have had another thought which may not make some posters real happy. It was one thing for Goedert to be passed over for Chisenhall but it appears to me the handwriting is on the wall when the team chooses to send Phelps to play 3B over Goedert. It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me because I disagree with the "experts" who think that Goedert is an average defender and a big time ML bat. But others have to look at this as confimation that Goedert does not really fit in the Indians' long term plans. :pleasantry:


Don't forget, the Indians rostered Wes Hodges last year, a guy arguably more defensively challenged (at 3B) than Goedert and with much less performance.

I haven't forgotten and I bet the Tribe has not either. It would be easy to agree with you about the defense of both but that is not my style. Let's just say it is debatable with different flaws, all of which are terminal at 3B in the majors. OK with you? :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 am

indianinkslinger wrote:I haven't forgotten and I bet the Tribe has not either. It would be easy to agree with you about the defense of both but that is not my style. Let's just say it is debatable with different flaws, all of which are terminal at 3B in the majors. OK with you? :friends:


Sounds good to me....when it boils down to it both have their own flaws yes, but bottom line they are challenged at 3B, which is why Hodges was moved off (and why Goedert may this offseason...OF?).

I have not even looked into breaking down the roster yet as to who gets added or removed this offseason.....something I will save for early November when more time allows and the "dust settles".
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest