Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2010 Official AZL/DSL Indians Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2010 Official AZL/DSL Indians Thread

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:11 am

artgold wrote:Yeah, he certainly has caught my attention a bit.

One thing that isn't so clear to me is how he has such a pronounced fly ball tendency, yet hasn't given up much in HR's so far this season. In looking at other pitchers who have low HR rates in the AZL, they seem to have strong ground ball tendencies.

Don't know if this means that these fly balls are going to become problematic as he advances, or if he is just good at getting guys to keep it in the yard even though he is a fly ball pitcher (so far, limited sample size).

Just one of those attributes I'm watching in his game to game performance. But like you state, I do find him a bit interesting especially based on his age.

Well if he has a good K-rate, that certainly would offset his FB rate a bit. But I don't know much about him.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby toledobuck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm

What is going on with Elvis Araujo? I do not think he had TJ surjery but he has not played in two years after an outstanding performance in the DR in 2008. He has the size and frame to be a workhorse starter and I was really excited to see him make his USA team debut. Would love to know if we will ever be able to expect anything from Araujo.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby Jake Taylor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Levon Washington back in the lineup in Arizona tonight as the DH... 1/2 so far with a single. Wolters also has a single. No Lavisky.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:45 pm

By the way the official word on why Washington was out was that he was off and not playing awhile so they are taking it easy with getting him in. Take that for what its worth.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stoike » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:10 am

Tony, I know that you (like the rest of us) are unable to go out to Arizona to watch the team, but do you have any idea what the hell has happened to this team over the last 3 weeks??? They have completely imploded!!! I heard from a lot of people that this team has a ton of talent, but they are getting crushed. Any idea of what is going on??
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby tpaquette78 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:13 am

Tony what do you know about 3B Juan Romero only 17 years old in the Arizona League and just hit 2 homeruns tonight to give him 7 which is now tied for the league lead. Pretty impressive power numbers for a 17 year old.
tpaquette78
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby tpaquette78 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 am

tpaquette78 wrote:Tony what do you know about 3B Juan Romero only 17 years old in the Arizona League and just hit 2 homeruns tonight to give him 7 which is now tied for the league lead. Pretty impressive power numbers for a 17 year old.

Wow I also just saw he has 67 strikeouts in only 145 AB's!
tpaquette78
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:08 am

stoike wrote:Tony, I know that you (like the rest of us) are unable to go out to Arizona to watch the team, but do you have any idea what the hell has happened to this team over the last 3 weeks??? They have completely imploded!!! I heard from a lot of people that this team has a ton of talent, but they are getting crushed. Any idea of what is going on??

Extremely young team that looks to me has hit the wall. Lots of 16/17/18 year old guys on the team. They haven't really been able to compete all year offensively. I would expect a high majority of these guys back here in Arizona next year and hopefully we see progress.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 am

tpaquette78 wrote:
tpaquette78 wrote:Tony what do you know about 3B Juan Romero only 17 years old in the Arizona League and just hit 2 homeruns tonight to give him 7 which is now tied for the league lead. Pretty impressive power numbers for a 17 year old.

I don't know much at all about him as I haven't seen him or asked anyone about him (I will now lol). I do know when I asked about the priority guys in AZL before the season started that Romero was I guy I was told was one to definitely watch. Looks like a raw player....hopefully he is in Instructs so I see him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:08 am

Since this is also our DSL thread, any insights about infielder Erik Gonzalez in the DSL?

He improved his batting average by about 100 points this year, and significantly improved his BB/K rate. In addition, he ended the year pretty well, with a .400+ BA his last couple of weeks. His power currently seems fairly modest, but he had a nice uptick in his doubles, so based on his age and stage of development it seems like some power may emerge.

Apparently, he just turned 19 after their season was complete, so I'd imagine that he would be of some interest to the team (assuming the birthdate is correct).

Is he a prospect, or just another filler player from the DSL?
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:31 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
tpaquette78 wrote:

I don't know much at all about him as I haven't seen him or asked anyone about him (I will now lol). I do know when I asked about the priority guys in AZL before the season started that Romero was I guy I was told was one to definitely watch. Looks like a raw player....hopefully he is in Instructs so I see him.

yeah, this guy could make the legends of Abreu and Smit seem like contact hitters by comparison. He could be a 200/yr K man at this rate. I would think he moves to MV next year though. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 pm

artgold wrote:Since this is also our DSL thread, any insights about infielder Erik Gonzalez in the DSL?

He improved his batting average by about 100 points this year, and significantly improved his BB/K rate. In addition, he ended the year pretty well, with a .400+ BA his last couple of weeks. His power currently seems fairly modest, but he had a nice uptick in his doubles, so based on his age and stage of development it seems like some power may emerge.

Apparently, he just turned 19 after their season was complete, so I'd imagine that he would be of some interest to the team (assuming the birthdate is correct).

Is he a prospect, or just another filler player from the DSL?

Have some info on him after my chat with Mirabelli last weekend. Can't recall specifics as we talked about so much, but will be in an upcoming piece once I transcribe.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:55 pm

toledobuck wrote:What is going on with Elvis Araujo? I do not think he had TJ surjery but he has not played in two years after an outstanding performance in the DR in 2008. He has the size and frame to be a workhorse starter and I was really excited to see him make his USA team debut. Would love to know if we will ever be able to expect anything from Araujo.

He actually did have Tommy John, and has been slow to recover this season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk