RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2010 Official Mahoning Valley Scrappers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2010 Official Mahoning Valley Scrappers Thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Aguilar is BIG but looked pretty shaky at 1B... MV gives up late runs to blow 3-1 lead and lose in ten...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Aguilar is BIG but looked pretty shaky at 1B... MV gives up late runs to blow 3-1 lead and lose in ten...

Figures. Their 'pen has been pretty bad all year.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 am

Burnette has really caught my eye this season and appears to be one of the only prospects on the team.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 am

A.Zajac wrote:Burnette has really caught my eye this season and appears to be one of the only prospects on the team.

Hey Zajac, Burnette's bat shows some promise but how about the rest of his game? Most Important is can he defend? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Burnette has really caught my eye this season and appears to be one of the only prospects on the team.

Hey Zajac, Burnette's bat shows some promise but how about the rest of his game? Most Important is can he defend? :pleasantry:

That's the problem... his defense. They've tried him out both at first and in the outfield this season. At first, he's limited even to some extent. He's going to have to improve defensively to move his way up the organizational ladder.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby nolanryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:29 am

zajac....you mention only burnette as a prospect. i really like urshela too, this kid can play some D, needs to develop his stick, but he is only 18 yrs. old, and what are your thoughts on some of the future potential of some of the MV pitching? namely kaminsky, dew, and rayl. i think these three have shown promise.
in regard to kaminsky, if you havent seen him throw yet, he has many of the same qualities and his stuff is very similar to josh tomlin. not over powering, but he can locate, change speeds, and is very focused and competitive on the mound.
nolanryan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 am

nolanryan wrote:zajac....you mention only burnette as a prospect. i really like urshela too, this kid can play some D, needs to develop his stick, but he is only 18 yrs. old, and what are your thoughts on some of the future potential of some of the MV pitching? namely kaminsky, dew, and rayl. i think these three have shown promise.
in regard to kaminsky, if you havent seen him throw yet, he has many of the same qualities and his stuff is very similar to josh tomlin. not over powering, but he can locate, change speeds, and is very focused and competitive on the mound.

Urshela, FAR AND AWAY, is the best prospect on that team. Gold glove caliber defender, and holding his own as an 18-year hitting.

There is not a guy on that MV roster, aside from Urshela, who cracks the Indians Top 50 listing next year. Heck, maybe not even the Top 75 other than maybe Burnette/Cooper.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Tony--

What about Jesus Aguilar? or even Owen Dew? Not even top 75?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

nolanryan wrote:zajac....you mention only burnette as a prospect. i really like urshela too, this kid can play some D, needs to develop his stick, but he is only 18 yrs. old, and what are your thoughts on some of the future potential of some of the MV pitching? namely kaminsky, dew, and rayl. i think these three have shown promise.

Urshela is an interesting guy, IMO. He has the POTENTIAL to make it the farthest, as far as position players go on this team. In the times that I've seen him, his defense has been above average, shows good range and a strong arm. His bat, to me, still leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't show great plate discipline. However, he's still very young and I think he can be a great player, but he still has a long way to go.

I've been very impressed with the starting pitching of this staff. Of the three you mentioned, in that order, is how I would actually rank them. Kaminsky has been consistent all year. None of the three light it up on the radar gun and rely on strike outs. However, Kaminsky shows very good control of his pitches, locates them well, and shows poise on the mound, doesn't get very rattled with runners on. I, too, agree he can project as a guy similar to Josh Tomlin. These guys remind me of the staff last year that had pitchers like Brach, Popham, etc. They're guys who can be back of the end rotation starters or even relievers.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 am

A.Zajac wrote:

Urshela is an interesting guy, IMO. He has the POTENTIAL to make it the farthest, as far as position players go on this team. In the times that I've seen him, his defense has been above average, shows good range and a strong arm. His bat, to me, still leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't show great plate discipline. However, he's still very young and I think he can be a great player, but he still has a long way to go.

I've been very impressed with the starting pitching of this staff. Of the three you mentioned, in that order, is how I would actually rank them. Kaminsky has been consistent all year. None of the three light it up on the radar gun and rely on strike outs. However, Kaminsky shows very good control of his pitches, locates them well, and shows poise on the mound, doesn't get very rattled with runners on. I, too, agree he can project as a guy similar to Josh Tomlin. These guys remind me of the staff last year that had pitchers like Brach, Popham, etc. They're guys who can be back of the end rotation starters or even relievers.

Andrew, old friend, I have not seen enough of MV pitching on tape to make a categoric statement but I don't see enough ceiling to convince me that the talent level approaches even Brach much less Popham or Packer. I would speculate that none will compete successfully at AA. Now i believe there is a longshot on the team, unlike Tony. Moncreif may have the best bat speed on the team but i think we will eventually see the reason they tried him first as a pitcher. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Andrew, old friend, I have not seen enough of MV pitching on tape to make a categoric statement but I don't see enough ceiling to convince me that the talent level approaches even Brach much less Popham or Packer. I would speculate that none will compete successfully at AA. Now i believe there is a longshot on the team, unlike Tony. Moncreif may have the best bat speed on the team but i think we will eventually see the reason they tried him first as a pitcher. :friends:

I don't see a very high ceiling in Brach. Popham, eh, not really sure yet. I don't think there's a guy like Popham on this pitching staff. I was more-less making a generalized statement about last year's rotation to this year's.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:00 am

elrod enchilada wrote:Tony--

What about Jesus Aguilar? or even Owen Dew? Not even top 75?

Depends on how everything shakes out....but at a quick glance, I wouldn't put Dew there for sure. Just tons more interesting arms in the rotation/bullpen at AAA/AA/A+/A-. Same goes for all the other MV pitchers. Aguilar, if he finishes well, is an interesting guy, and I would certainly consider him in the 50-75 range I guess.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 am

DeGeorge, Dew, and Kaminsky named to the NYPL All-Star team.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Urshela's been on fire as of late, batting .450 with 3 HR and 3 2B in his last 10 games and up to .301 on the season. Even though he doesn't have a ton of plate discipline, with only 10 BB, he's only struck out 20 times in 176 AB's as well. Looks like he'll be shooting up the prospect rankings, and I'm really excited to see him in Lake County next year.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Jake Taylor wrote:Urshela's been on fire as of late, batting .450 with 3 HR and 3 2B in his last 10 games and up to .301 on the season. Even though he doesn't have a ton of plate discipline, with only 10 BB, he's only struck out 20 times in 176 AB's as well. Looks like he'll be shooting up the prospect rankings, and I'm really excited to see him in Lake County next year.

Tony probably knows best but it would not surprise me to see Urshela in LC this year. Big jump but it is not like there is anyone who can play 3B in LC now and they do have playoffs. He is nearing the 200AB threshold to I think it is possible. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Jake Taylor wrote:Urshela's been on fire as of late, batting .450 with 3 HR and 3 2B in his last 10 games and up to .301 on the season. Even though he doesn't have a ton of plate discipline, with only 10 BB, he's only struck out 20 times in 176 AB's as well. Looks like he'll be shooting up the prospect rankings, and I'm really excited to see him in Lake County next year.

Tony probably knows best but it would not surprise me to see Urshela in LC this year. Big jump but it is not like there is anyone who can play 3B in LC now and they do have playoffs. He is nearing the 200AB threshold to I think it is possible. :pleasantry:

Ya stole my thinder. I fully expect Urshella to be up at Lake County by the end of the season and get about 5-10 reg season games and postseason games under his belt.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Consigliere wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Ya stole my thinder. I fully expect Urshella to be up at Lake County by the end of the season and get about 5-10 reg season games and postseason games under his belt.

Man, that made my night, hope you're right. I'd like to see Geovanny and Giovanni in the same night. Double-dip.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Jake Taylor wrote:
Consigliere wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Man, that made my night, hope you're right. I'd like to see Geovanny and Giovanni in the same night. Double-dip.

You win, jake. I got no answer to that!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

Difficult to believe, but in his last 10 games Urshela has zero strikeouts.

What is more impressive though is that he has actually turned up his power during this streak too, so unlike a player like Greenwell we don't see the tradeoff between power and contact.

Interesting.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:12 am

Urshela has been HOT of late. I haven't seen a game in about two weeks, but that 0 K in his last 10 is very impressive.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 am

Urshela's defense has been something the Indians and non-club personel have glowed about for a long time, so if the offense starts to translate, maybe they have something. Very impressive showing this year in a league he is about 4 years under league average.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=11711

Gio Urshela, 3B, Indians (Short-Season Mahoning Valley): 3-for-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
Chances are good you've never heard of Urshela, but it's time to change that. Singed out of Columbia for $300,000, the 18-year-old has been more than holding his own of late against the more advanced competition of the New York-Penn League, going 16-for-32 in his last seven games to raise his season average to .301/.335/.398 while also flashing outstanding glove work on the hot corner. Right now, he's a nice sleeper in the Indians system, but he has plenty of time to make his case for the actual prospect list in the offseason.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 pm

didnt realize he was one of our bigger bonus guys, nice to see one of them starting to turn a corner
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Owen Dew and Nick Kirk called up to LC, Cole Cook and Nathan Striz assigned to MV.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Another move coming with MV as Michael Goodnight is slated to pitch on Friday for the Scrappers.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby nolanryan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:05 am

alex kaminsky has another outstanding start today in staten island vs. the yankees. 5 inn. 1 hit, shutout baseball with 4 k's, as the scrappers win 2-0, and the bullpen did the job today, as they 1 hit the yankees. this kid has been absolutely lights out all season long, as he lowered his era to 1.95 over 55.3 inn. with 45 k's, and is now 5-3.
the scrappers have now won 3 in a row, and 6 of their last 8 games.
nolanryan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:39 am

Roving player development advisor Johnny Goryl says to keep an eye on Mahoning Valley third baseman Giovanny Urshela, an 18-year-old kid the Indians signed out of Colombia two years ago. Urshela is batting .450 with three homers, three doubles and 10 RBIs over his last 10 games. He has no strikeouts in that span.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby gotribe31 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:47 am

cardiackidz wrote:Roving player development advisor Johnny Goryl says to keep an eye on Mahoning Valley third baseman Giovanny Urshela, an 18-year-old kid the Indians signed out of Colombia two years ago. Urshela is batting .450 with three homers, three doubles and 10 RBIs over his last 10 games. He has no strikeouts in that span.

Read upwards in the thread...we've been on him for a while now :biggrin:
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:07 pm

cardiackidz wrote:Roving player development advisor Johnny Goryl says to keep an eye on Mahoning Valley third baseman Giovanny Urshela, an 18-year-old kid the Indians signed out of Colombia two years ago. Urshela is batting .450 with three homers, three doubles and 10 RBIs over his last 10 games. He has no strikeouts in that span.

Little outdated. His numbers for the week are posted in my recent MV entry.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Urshela hit by a pitch during the first inning of the game tonight and was taken out following that. No word yet the extent of the injury.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Urshela hit by a pitch during the first inning of the game tonight and was taken out following that. No word yet the extent of the injury.

Just wait, will be a broken wrist or something like that. Just our luck :reallyshocked:
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Nice debut for Goodnight - 3IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 3K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Cole Cook making his pro debut for the Scrappers today.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:05 pm

A walk followed by a 2-run HR to the first 2 hitters Cook faces.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:A walk followed by a 2-run HR to the first 2 hitters Cook faces.

Welcome to Professional Baseball kiddo....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Cook allowed a pair of 2-run HR in his 3 innings.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:05 pm

No Urshela... any word on the injury? And Aguilar has stopped hitting...

Cooper with the win today...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Michael Goodnight is the greatest name ever for a closer?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Michael Goodnight is the greatest name ever for a closer?

No.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:23 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:No Urshela... any word on the injury? And Aguilar has stopped hitting...

Been trying to find out injury news, but haven't heard any.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby tribefan611 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:53 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:No Urshela... any word on the injury? And Aguilar has stopped hitting...

Been trying to find out injury news, but haven't heard any.

I've been wondering also. He was taken out after he got hit by a pitch.
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:15 pm

tribefan611 wrote:I've been wondering also. He was taken out after he got hit by a pitch.

I am checking and may find out something tomorrow (Monday), though it is gonna be one crazy day so who knows.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 am

Urshela is fine. Should be back in the lineup after the AS break. Just bruised and they gave him the weekend off to be conservative, especially since with the All Star break he'd get four days off.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 am

That is very good news.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:33 am

Consigliere wrote:Urshela is fine. Should be back in the lineup after the AS break. Just bruised and they gave him the weekend off to be conservative, especially since with the All Star break he'd get four days off.

Talked to a local columnist who covers the Scrappers and he pretty much said the same thing. He said the Scrappers were taking "precautions" and he'll be back following the AS break. He did say though at the time he got hit, he was in a lot of pain and it looked a lot worse than it turned out.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Nate Striz making his pro debut tonight, working a scoreless inning with a BB & a K so far in relief.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Suddenly, the Scrappers roster is looking pretty nice. Dischler has joined the team. Pomeranz and Blair are there too, but I don't believe either will pitch in games.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Does anyone have word re: moves to make room for Dischler, Richard Martinez, and Trent Baker on the MV roster?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Goodnight gives up 6 in the 3rd tonight to take the loss.

Big game at the plate for Seastrunk going 4-for-4, but he also allowed 3 passed balls to take his total to ELEVEN for the season!

One of those passed balls contributed to Kyle Smith striking out 4 in the 9th!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

I know this has probably been mentioned before but, while Seastrunk has picked it up significantly with the bat he has to be one of the worst receivers in all of the minors. With his 3 today, he has 11 passed balls. Don't know how many of this 37 games were at catcher but those numbers evoke images of one of us behind the plate. Initial impressions, based on just tha one stat, is that he is looking like a fine DH candidate.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk