RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2010 Official Mahoning Valley Scrappers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2010 Official Mahoning Valley Scrappers Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 pm

dnosco wrote:I know this has probably been mentioned before but, while Seastrunk has picked it up significantly with the bat he has to be one of the worst receivers in all of the minors. With his 3 today, he has 11 passed balls. Don't know how many of this 37 games were at catcher but those numbers evoke images of one of us behind the plate. Initial impressions, based on just tha one stat, is that he is looking like a fine DH candidate.

Remember, though, this is just his second year catching. Guy is learning on the job.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

A solid second start for Cole Cook..... gives up 2 in the first but follows it up with 3 scoreless to finish with 4IP, 4H, 2R/ER, 1B, 3K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Does anyone have word re: moves to make room for Dischler, Richard Martinez, and Trent Baker on the MV roster?

I finally had time to check with the MV Front Office on this. There were no moves as the active roster limit is now 35 (I'm not sure when it changed from 35 under control and 30 active. 25-man dress limit is still in effect, by the way).
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Shouldn't Urshela be playing by now? Still nothing?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 am

Going to MV tonight.....looking forward to seeing Goodnight pitch. Hope he has a good night <groan>.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 am

I actually saw someone list Goodnight as a prospect to watch for the 2011 draft (that must've been before he signed), but that should also tell us that the Indians did an extremely good job in recognizing that talent and getting him to sign a deal.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Consigliere wrote:Going to MV tonight.....looking forward to seeing Goodnight pitch. Hope he has a good night <groan>.

ba dum bum

Just thought I'd add a little rim shot from the Woodchuck Hole :biggrin:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm

JP_Frost wrote:I actually saw someone list Goodnight as a prospect to watch for the 2011 draft (that must've been before he signed), but that should also tell us that the Indians did an extremely good job in recognizing that talent and getting him to sign a deal.

Hi JP, they knew Goodnight well. They drafted him in the mid 20s in 2008 but could not reach an agreement. I have heard the Indians just ran out of money after House and Stowell. Tribe did not burn any bridges and followed his progress. And he got signed this year overslot. Don't know if there is any data which shows what happens to followons with the same organization but it seems to me that pitchers do better than position players but I have no evidence whatsoever. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Goodnight was solid tonight. Was let down by his defense in the first as Baker (CF) dropped what should have been a catch near the wall. Was sorta difficult, but he and Heere got crossed up a little and he alligator armed it. Then Fontanez completely botched a one hopper right at him for an error on the next pitch. Fryaman was pissed....never seen him get that upset. His curveball comes and goes, but wow, when it is on, it is devastating. I have some homeplate video and the break is sick. Will upload soon. Fastball has good life and of course velocity, though he has a lot of work refining his command to work lower in the zone. A lot of pitches were left up and away arm side. These are correctable with work in his delivery of course and finishing through his pitches.

Brad Grant was at the game catching a lot of his recent players in action. I will be talking to him soon on the record for a post draft piece.

Drew Pomeranz and Kyle Blair are both in MV and building back up to be able to pitch. Currently up to 120 feet and will throw bullpens in coming days, with the idea to have them ready to go and on a mound by time Instructs start. Pomeranz will only be in MV until Monday, though Blair may be there until the end (though unsure as he may depart when Pomz does too). Dischler threw a bullpen today and is good to go, and is expected to start on Sunday and then make one more appearance before end of season.

Urshela is expected to be back in the lineup for the first game of the next road trip.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Really intrigued by Blair.

He will not throw for MV but is working out for them. He's one impressive physical specimen and has a major league body already. Strong guy, especially the lower half. Hope to see him in action out in Instructs when I go out there the final week.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Nice job by Burnette as he was just promoted today to Lake County. Good year in MV. I don't know who is coming up from Arizona to replace him, but I would think Kinney or someone.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:25 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Nice job by Burnette as he was just promoted today to Lake County. Good year in MV. I don't know who is coming up from Arizona to replace him, but I would think Kinney or someone.

They've got 30 guys on the roster (5 more than they can dress) and only need to get through Sunday before the season's over. Unless there's somebody they really want to get another week's worth of game action (I know there's instructs, but playing a full 9 innings under full regulation rules - especially in MV [or any other franchise affiliate], where there's the added "real game" factor of playing in front of fans - is a whole different animal), I don't really see the need for MV to replace anyone who gets called up unless he's a starting pitcher.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Is it possible that Urshela makes it into the top 20 prospects list for next season? He's 18 or so years old and is playing like he's 24. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. Especially with most of the other prospects in the organization being poor defenders, Urshela potentially being a future Gold Glover makes him all the more exciting.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Is it possible that Urshela makes it into the top 20 prospects list for next season? He's 18 or so years old and is playing like he's 24. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. Especially with most of the other prospects in the organization being poor defenders, Urshela potentially being a future Gold Glover makes him all the more exciting.

I am not sure as at least speaking for myself I have not put together a listing for next year yet, so without really considering all the other talent, it is hard to say. I think he has a solid chance though, and think he will very likely at worst slot in at around 30.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Nice job by Burnette as he was just promoted today to Lake County. Good year in MV. I don't know who is coming up from Arizona to replace him, but I would think Kinney or someone.

They've got 30 guys on the roster (5 more than they can dress) and only need to get through Sunday before the season's over. Unless there's somebody they really want to get another week's worth of game action (I know there's instructs, but playing a full 9 innings under full regulation rules - especially in MV [or any other franchise affiliate], where there's the added "real game" factor of playing in front of fans - is a whole different animal), I don't really see the need for MV to replace anyone who gets called up unless he's a starting pitcher.

Turns out that they did bring up someone, RHP Ryan Gardner.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Tony Wolters to MV
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Tony Wolters to MV

Did Bartolone move to LC? Seems more logical than having two of your top 6 draftees share time at SS in MV. I wouldn't mind seeing the left side of LC infield being replaced for the playoffs. :s_dunno
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm

A good night for Goodnight: -

5IP, 1H, 0R, 3BB, 6K

Best start of his pro career to date.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:35 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:A good night for Goodnight: -

5IP, 1H, 0R, 3BB, 6K

Best start of his pro career to date.

That's the stuff that some thought he had that would make him worthy of a 2nd round pick in next year's draft. Still slightly wild, as he now has 10 BB / 12 K in his first four starts, but definite big improvement.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Scrappers line-up tonight has to be one of the weakest of all-time... but they're winning!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Scrappers line-up tonight has to be one of the weakest of all-time... but they're winning!!!

No offense to the position players on that roster as those guys are all busting their tails....but man, that's the worst collection of minor league hitting talent that I have seen put together in a very long time. Urshela is a bonafide prospect, but every other guy except maybe Moncrief are guys on life support in pro ball or just an organizational player. It pains me to say that too as there are a lot of guys on that roster I like and want to see do well.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby tpaquette78 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:18 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Scrappers line-up tonight has to be one of the weakest of all-time... but they're winning!!!

No offense to the position players on that roster as those guys are all busting their tails....but man, that's the worst collection of minor league hitting talent that I have seen put together in a very long time. Urshela is a bonafide prospect, but every other guy except maybe Moncrief are guys on life support in pro ball or just an organizational player. It pains me to say that too as there are a lot of guys on that roster I like and want to see do well.

What about Aguilar? Not a chance to be a prospect? Also whats up with him getting another SB tonight? He has 2 since being called up from Arizona but I thought he was just a big lumbering hulk?
tpaquette78
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:14 am

tpaquette78 wrote:What about Aguilar? Not a chance to be a prospect? Also whats up with him getting another SB tonight? He has 2 since being called up from Arizona but I thought he was just a big lumbering hulk?

Gross oversight, though even he is down the pecking order. But he is certainly a prospect.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby nolanryan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:39 am

what more can you say about RHP alex kaminsky, as he dominated williamsport this evening throwing 6 inn. of shutout ball, and scattering 4 hits, and 6 k's. he sits in the top ten in almost all pitching statistics in the NYPL. with a stronger offensive club he would more than likely have posted at least a 10 win season. this kid has carried this pitching staff from day one for the scrappers. how this kid was overlooked by people supposedly in the know is beyond me. have to pull for the local kid to continue to move up the ladder in the indians organization.
nolanryan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 am

nolanryan wrote:what more can you say about RHP alex kaminsky, as he dominated williamsport this evening throwing 6 inn. of shutout ball, and scattering 4 hits, and 6 k's. he sits in the top ten in almost all pitching statistics in the NYPL. with a stronger offensive club he would more than likely have posted at least a 10 win season. this kid has carried this pitching staff from day one for the scrappers. how this kid was overlooked by people supposedly in the know is beyond me. have to pull for the local kid to continue to move up the ladder in the indians organization.

Last year I didnt want to give props to Kipnis has a college kid beating up on young guys, but I learned my lesson. No doubt Kaminsky has put himself on the map, it is now up to him. A lot of arms have great ears then fall back, if he can continue to perform he will make the Indians look kind of smart. I only say kind of, because to be honest if you think a kid is a major spec you would have drafted him. Thats why I think the Indians only kind of did a great job spoting hermann
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 am

nolanryan wrote:what more can you say about RHP alex kaminsky, as he dominated williamsport this evening throwing 6 inn. of shutout ball, and scattering 4 hits, and 6 k's. he sits in the top ten in almost all pitching statistics in the NYPL. with a stronger offensive club he would more than likely have posted at least a 10 win season. this kid has carried this pitching staff from day one for the scrappers. how this kid was overlooked by people supposedly in the know is beyond me. have to pull for the local kid to continue to move up the ladder in the indians organization.

A nice year indeed.

I'm pulling for him and wish him the best....we've seen UDFA like Brian Barton and Frank Herrmann make themselves into prospects. The thing is, though, they weren't taken seriously until they got to High-A and showed development and the potential to be more. The same will apply to Kaminsky, who with all the higher priority arms in Lake County and Kinston next year, is going to have a tough go of it getting a spot on the Lake County or Kinston pitching staff to open next season. There is a decent chance he opens the year in extended spring training. That's the reality of the situation, and he just needs to keep plugging away. Kudos to him for a job well done so far.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Is he being rostered in MV or is this just an "observer" role a la Pom and Blair? (asking only because he hasn't played since coming to MV)
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:

Did Bartolone move to LC? Seems more logical than having two of your top 6 draftees share time at SS in MV. I wouldn't mind seeing the left side of LC infield being replaced for the playoffs. :s_dunno

I haven't seen such a move on the wire or anywhere else (but the Wolters to MV move wasn't on the wire either, so I can't be 100% sure).
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Is he being rostered in MV or is this just an "observer" role a la Pom and Blair? (asking only because he hasn't played since coming to MV)

Pretty certain just to observe, sorta like Lavisky in LC.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 pm

TonyIPI wrote:

Pretty certain just to observe, sorta like Lavisky in LC.

That would explain the lack of a move on the wire, thanks! :good:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Aguilar, since a 2-2 night on 8/8 that saw his average for MV at .379, has since gone 5-65 till 8/30... since 8/30 he is 7-12...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Finally, this season is over. :bad:

Usually, a minor league team will only be either bad or bereft of prospects. The 2010 Scrappers pulled off the rare feat of being both. This team was hard to watch from both a competitive and player development standpoint. I wish the fine folks of the Mahoning Valley a much more enjoyable 2011 season.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:26 am

Can someone explain the situation with Nick Bartolone? He was an unknown 6th round pick and is only 19 years old. He moved quickly from Arizona to MV. He apparently can run like the wind and has skills with the glove and bat.

If Tony Wolters had this season we'd all be doing back flips and lining the streets with rose pedals for his ascension to Cleveland.

So why isn't he considered a serious prospect?

I understand that some of our higher picks like Tyler Cannon and Diego Seastrunk and possibly Chase Burnette are just aging fodder for the minor-league system, but a pick like Bartolone is meant usually for a guy who actually has talent and potential. Did the Tribe completely blow this pick? The guy was a 6th round pick-- so the Tribe brass seemingly loved him -- and he is treated around here like an undrafted free agent.

Has someone who has seen Bartolone play clear this up for me? Does his glove suck? Is he a joke at the plate? Does he play with his zipper down? Why does this guy get so little respect?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Can someone explain the situation with Nick Bartolone? He was an unknown 6th round pick and is only 19 years old. He moved quickly from Arizona to MV. He apparently can run like the wind and has skills with the glove and bat.

If Tony Wolters had this season we'd all be doing back flips and lining the streets with rose pedals for his ascension to Cleveland.

I understand that some of our higher picks like Tyler Cannon and Diego Seastrunk and possibly Chase Burnette are just aging fodder for the minor-league system, but a pick like Bartolone is meant usually for a guy who actually has talent and potential. Did the Tribe completely blow this pick? The guy was a 6th round pick-- so the Tribe brass seemingly loved him -- and he is treated around here like an undrafted free agent.

Has someone who has seen Bartolone play clear this up for me? Does his glove suck? Is he a joke at the plate? Does he play with his zipper down? Why does this guy get so little respect?

Some one was high on him, so much so that he fought to get him drafted that early. In an article I read he was called to say he was going to go a round later then called back and informed that the guy fought and he would be the next pick. He is less heralded because no one could find any info on him, he wasnt on any list or board and was a deep find for the Tribe. The upside si those are the picks the tribe have really done well with over the years. The book on him was the scouts did find him, is good speed and slick glove, should be a utility guy with good defense, speed and versatility. I think he will be the top SS in the draft for the Tribe, but I also think Wolters is a 2B
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Can someone explain the situation with Nick Bartolone? He was an unknown 6th round pick and is only 19 years old. He moved quickly from Arizona to MV. He apparently can run like the wind and has skills with the glove and bat.

I only saw Bartolone play on one occasion, so I can't really say a ton about him, but his glove isn't horrible, by any means. He showed some nice range, an average arm.. hitting wise, little tougher to gauge on one performance, so I'll leave that to Tony.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Bartolone is the mystery man of the 2010 Draft. Not a lot is known about him as he was unheralded going in by any publication so much as he was not on any Top 200-300 list, and I have yet to ask anything of the Indians about him (I will over the course of the offseason). I saw him once in Mahoning Valley...looks like a 16 year old kid out there. Reminded me of the scene in Field of Dreams when the young Moonlight Graham was on the field with all the old timers. Was out of his element from an age perspective. But he held his own offensively and showed some good speed and defense. I can't say at the moment what he projects to be down the road until I do more research this offseason, but from the first look I see a utility player in the making. Just too small to be an everyday guy at SS, but I could be wrong and he might be a late bloomer with his size/strength.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Bartolone is the mystery man of the 2010 Draft. Not a lot is known about him as he was unheralded going in by any publication so much as he was not on any Top 200-300 list, and I have yet to ask anything of the Indians about him (I will over the course of the offseason). I saw him once in Mahoning Valley...looks like a 16 year old kid out there. Reminded me of the scene in Field of Dreams when the young Moonlight Graham was on the field with all the old timers. Was out of his element from an age perspective. But he held his own offensively and showed some good speed and defense. I can't say at the moment what he projects to be down the road until I do more research this offseason, but from the first look I see a utility player in the making. Just too small to be an everyday guy at SS, but I could be wrong and he might be a late bloomer with his size/strength.

Certainly makes you wonder who pushed so hard for him and why. Good glove no stick players in today's game aren't even locks for UIF jobs let alone starting jobs. You don't draft a player with the upside of a UIF'er, in the 6th rd. At least, I wouldn't. So somebody must believe he has the potential to be a starter in the majors.

At any rate, he'll be an interesting player to follow.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby tribefan611 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm

I've been following him closely because of his stats and how quickly he has moved. Was actually thinking of posting that myself, but didn't get around to it. Thanks elrod. So yeah the only thing I can say about him is somebody saw something in him.
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Indians have extended their player development contract (PDC) with Mahoning for another two years through 2012.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk