RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Sporting News top 50 prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Sporting News top 50 prospects

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Sporting News has their top 50 prospects up for 2009....and they like a pair of Indians.....but not the two you'd think....

Laporta comes in at #5 on their list.

And at #49? WES HODGES

yes, I did not misprint that, lol. It also appears they have a different set of 'rules' for who's a prospect still. They have Max Scherzer listed #2 overall, though no one else considers him a prospect.

Here's the link: http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/baseball/experts/frank-neville/20090206.html
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Sporting News top 50 prospects

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I think the reasoning is right within the web address: FANTASY. They would focus on players having a chance to contribute this season instead of overall upside.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Yeah I know. Still doesn't explain why they decided to change the rules for determining a prospect though....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:29 pm

The top 50 Fantasy impact prospects does not equal top 50 prospects.
A top 50 prospect this season might not see the majors until September at the earliest. In terms of Fantasy impact that is limited. Meanwhile the prospect/player that has the chance to break camp or get an early season call-up to the majors is much more likely to have an effect on the Fantasy game this year but less in the long run (compared to the September Call Up Stud).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

MadThinker88 wrote:The top 50 Fantasy impact prospects does not equal top 50 prospects.
A top 50 prospect this season might not see the majors until September at the earliest. In terms of Fantasy impact that is limited. Meanwhile the prospect/player that has the chance to break camp or get an early season call-up to the majors is much more likely to have an effect on the Fantasy game this year but less in the long run (compared to the September Call Up Stud).

ha, yet again I know.

BUT this still doesn't explain why they threw the rules out and started calling players that are no longer considered prospects (since they have too much ML experience) top prospects. Doesn't matter if it's 'fantasy' prospects or not. Still makes no sense.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk