RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Steven Wright

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Steven Wright

Postby artgold » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Steven Wright was drafted in the 2nd round in 2006. He signed for a bonus of $630K.

At the time, he was a relief prospect, winning the Russ Ford Award as the Cape Cod Baseball League's best relief pitcher in 2005.

No publication considers him a decent starting pitching prospect. So, why isn't he in the bullpen today? Why aren't we figuring out if he is a plus relief prospect, as indicated by his draft position and bonus?
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Steven Wright

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm

Valid questions Art. Perhaps someone is bring stubborn.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:29 pm

artgold wrote:Steven Wright was drafted in the 2nd round in 2006. He signed for a bonus of $630K.

At the time, he was a relief prospect, winning the Russ Ford Award as the Cape Cod Baseball League's best relief pitcher in 2005.

No publication considers him a decent starting pitching prospect. So, why isn't he in the bullpen today? Why aren't we figuring out if he is a plus relief prospect, as indicated by his draft position and bonus?

Hi Art, I think they are giving him starting work to give him a chance to work on all his pitches but expecially his command. His arm is decent enough and should go mid-90s when they turn him over to RP. He looks easy to read to me so I think they are hoping to improve command and deception with the extra innings. More of a developmental thing than planning on a career as a starter. I would think he is a logical choice for a short leash especially when De La is promoted.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 pm

I hope your correct about de la Cruz getting a bump up to Akron during the season. Doubt it happens before the end of May though.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 pm

De La will get at least until the All Star break in Kinston. No rush, and the Indians are very conservative in moving guys quickly out of Kinston since they view it as the most important stop in the system where they like most of the players to get at least 500 ABs or starters to get almost 140 innings or so there.

As for Wright, him in the rotation is more about development. Even if they project him as a reliever, he is better off starting where he can go out there and throw 5-7 innings and work on a lot of things....whereas making a 1-2 inning appearance every 3-4 days leaves little growth for your pitches and handling situations.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:19 am

OK, given the development perspective, why isn't he higher regarded as a relief pitching prospect?

It seems that none of the minor league system evaluators sees him as having much of a chance at the majors at all, while I would think that his ceiling as a relief pitcher should place him a bit higher on the radar screen.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:14 am

location, location, location! Especially his fastball. It looks to me like he will lose balance way too often and get the ball up.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk