RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Baseball America on Adam Miller this winter

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Baseball America on Adam Miller this winter

Postby cardiackidz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Adam Miller, rhp, Indians: While pitching may be down in the Dominican, it wasn’t when Miller was on the mound apparently.

The oft-injured righthander, the top pitching prospect in the Indians’ chain the past four seasons and again this year, sizzled with a fastball that an NL scout said roamed in the 96-98 mph range.

"I mean, he was carving these guys up," the scout said. "A nasty slider, too. Attacked hitters. Threw strikes. If he stays healthy, he’s going to be something to reckon with down the road."

Miller strained his elbow in 2005 and has suffered elbow and finger injuries in 2007, then missed most of 2008. But he was 3-1, 4.34 in 29 innings in the Dominican. Even better, the separation in his strikeout-to-walk ratio ought to be music to the Indians’ ears — 27 to 6, suggesting his command came back in a hurry despite missing so much time. He also held batters to a .268 average and yielded only one home run.

Miller is expected to be used in a relief role in 2009, though he did make five starts this winter.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Re: Baseball America on Adam Miller this winter

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:24 pm

nice to hear little doubt if healthy th3 guy could be an ace
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 pm

I just hope Adam gets back to being in the rotation. If so, in 2 years the rotation would be almost entirely home grown and dominant (Carmona, Miller, Huff, Rondon, De La Cruz)
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am

I still worry how Miller will be in the rotation. Only has two pitches it seems right now (hasn't fully developed that third pitch he's been working on). And in the pen, he doesn't need that third pitch....that fastball/slider combo will be devastating in the pen (even moreso than Perez's).

I really do hope he can get to the rotation......but could wind up like a Wood (very good closer).......which isn't necessarily a bad thing though (provided he avoids all the injuries Wood had)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:59 am

MadThinker88 wrote:I just hope Adam gets back to being in the rotation. If so, in 2 years the rotation would be almost entirely home grown and dominant (Carmona, Miller, Huff, Rondon, De La Cruz)

I really believe the move to the bully in 08 is just temporary and that he very well will be back in the rotation in 09. The move this year was due to an innings threshold of around 90-100 innings because of all the injuries the last two seasons, and also to find a way to get him on the field in CLeveland this year. Unless he comes in and flat out dominates and becomes a huge part of the bullpen this year, I see him going back to a starter in 2010.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 am

Do you mean back to the rotation in 2010 or you think he's gonna be there this year?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk