RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Goleski released

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Goleski released

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:41 pm

According to BA

Cleveland Indians
Signed: RHP Jack Cassel
Released: OF Ryan Goleski
Traded: RHPs Chris Archer and Jeff Stevens and LHP John Gaub to Cubs for 2B Mark De Rosa
Removed from 40-man roster: 1B Michael Aubrey

A 24th-round pick in 2003 from Eastern Michigan, Goleski smashed 28 home runs in low Class A during the 2004 season. Sure, he was 22 that season, but on the flip side, it was his first full pro season. Two years later, in a year spent mostly in Double-A, the righthanded slugger hit 27 longballs—but even that wasn’t enough to earn a spot on the Indians’ 40-man roster. Intrigued, the Devil Rays selected Goleski with the first pick in that winter’s major league Rule 5 draft and then traded him to the Athletics. Unbeknownst to Oakland, Goleski had wrist surgery during the ‘06 offseason, but that didn’t stop the A’s from attempting to work out a trade during spring training ‘07 to keep the outfielder. Cleveland refused the overture and paid $25,000—or half the Rule 5 fee—to bring Goleski back to the organization. Two tough years in Double-A later, during which his slugging percentage peaked at .429, Goleski, now 26, is free to sign with any team.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=2028
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Goleski released

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Clearing up a little outfield playing time in Columbus with the move... and I mean a little.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

the entire manner in which Goleski has been handled since his wrist injury and surgery in late 2006 has been curious.

I wish him the best of luck at this point but I have to think the career is basically over.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:the entire manner in which Goleski has been handled since his wrist injury and surgery in late 2006 has been curious.

I wish him the best of luck at this point but I have to think the career is basically over.

I agree Mad Thinker. It was almost like he was mad that the Indians got him back and he never really played any better. He was going nowhere in our system like Brad Snyder (Cubs right?) and Jason Cooper.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 pm

no almost about it he was mad, it seemed like by taking him back he felt betrayed that his chance had been ruined by the tribe
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Goleski mailed it in upon being returned by the Tribe. The Indians did not even have to release him now, but they felt his at bats and spot was better served going to someone who wanted to be here. It is sad when a player takes things to such extremes that they in effect ruin their career. Stop whining, go out and play ball and if you were deserving of the chance the first time you'll get another chance. But don't undermine it by tanking it which kills your career.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 pm

So... does the Goleski situation have that chance for another group of people to complain when he rebounds with another team, or is he all washed up?
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby dnosco » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:07 pm

As I recall, even though neither side admitted it, the Indians actually ended up selling Dan Denham AND Travis Foley to the A's because they failed to report Goleski's wrist surgery before the Rule 5 draft.

Not that any of the three of them have yet amounted to anything as baseball players...just saying'
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:24 pm

wasnt foley a minor league pitcher fo the year at one point and Denham what a waste he end up being
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 am

dnosco wrote:As I recall, even though neither side admitted it, the Indians actually ended up selling Dan Denham AND Travis Foley to the A's because they failed to report Goleski's wrist surgery before the Rule 5 draft.

Not that any of the three of them have yet amounted to anything as baseball players...just saying'

Denham ended up in LA....and did Foley even pitch in 2008? Not a loss at all with either.

Tribe did add Mickey Hall yesterday from the Paul Byrd deal. Likely to take Goeleski's place in the Akron OF......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:23 am

Good for Goleski. The Indians finally made a correct decision on him.

Their decisions on minor league players have been curious. Let Barton go to keep Snyder, but then release Snyder. Refuse to trade Goleski to Oak, but then release him. Release Guthrie after not giving him ML starts in 06. Keep Aubrey for what reason?
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:Good for Goleski. The Indians finally made a correct decision on him.

Their decisions on minor league players have been curious. Let Barton go to keep Snyder, but then release Snyder. Refuse to trade Goleski to Oak, but then release him. Release Guthrie after not giving him ML starts in 06. Keep Aubrey for what reason?

Well you keep snyder cause he had a higher potential and barton was viewed as another Francisco who was already more proven. Then you realse Snyder because it was finally time to cut bait and it was keep him and not protect gimeniz. I am sure they would have traded goleski if they got a decent offer instead the kid came back with a bad attitude and killed his career. Guthrie had pitched so bad as a starter in the minros they tried to make him a reliever to save hsi career, and I dont think anyone can fault them for him going. The aubrey part I dont get at all
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Guthrie did very well as a starter in AAA his last year in the Indians org. 3.15 ERA. Even with being moved up and down.

Keeping Snyder over Barton was a misevaluation of the players.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 am

Not sure what's wrong with keeping Aubrey around. Worst case he's a decent bench player at Columbus. Not on the 40-man anymore so not taking anyone's spot really.

The Guthrie move was bad.....but some areas it did work out for the Tribe. Had we not cut Guthrie, Carmona likely never would have been called up in 2007, or at least not as soon as he was since Guthrie would have been that first guy to go to. Would Guthrie have pitched well enough in Cleveland that year to get us to the playoffs then? Possibly, but you never know. They definitely should have kept Guthrie over either Davis or Cabrera though, even if using him in the pen....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk