Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Columbus Clippers Lineup

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Columbus Clippers Lineup

Postby osueddy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Make your own lineup for this group:

C - Chris Gimenez / Wyatt Toregas
1B - Jordan Brown
2B - Luis Valbuena
3B - Wes Hodges
SS - Andy Cannizaro / Wilson Valdez / Jesus Merchan
OF - Matt LaPorta
OF - Trevor Crowe
OF - Michael Brantley
DH - Michael Aubrey

Bench - Stephen Head

I'm pretty excited about this lineup for the new park in the Arena District.
Throw in the fact that your 1 and 2 starters will be Scott Lewis and David Huff along with a solid bullpen (please be healthy Tony Sipp); they should be a great team.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Re: Columbus Clippers Lineup

Postby osueddy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 pm

1. Brantley - 9
2. Crowe - 8
3. Aubrey - DH
4. LaPorta - 7
5. Hodges - 5
6. Brown - 3
7. Gimenez - 2
8. Valbuena - 4
9. Valdez - 6
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby TheWord » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:15 pm

CF - Brantley
RF - Crowe
1B - Aubrey
LF - LaPorta
3B - Hodges
DH - Brown
C - Gimenez
2B - Barfield
SS - Valdez
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:37 am

1. Brantley (CF)
2. Crowe (LF)
3. LaPorta (RF)
4. Hodges (3B)
5. Aubrey (DH)
6. Gimenez (C)
7. Brown (1B)
8. Valbuena (2B)
9. Merchan (SS)
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 am

I take it you you're assuming one of Barfield or Valbuena makes the ML roster (or is traded).

Personally I'd like to see both start in AAA with Valbuena getting time at SS, making the lineup:

1. Brantley - LF/CF
2. Valbuena - SS
3. Brown - 1B
4. LaPorta - RF
5. Hodges - 3B
6. Gimenez - DH
7. Toregas - C
8. Barfield - 2B
9. Crowe - CF/LF

I rather see Aubrey on the bench up in Cleveland than Valbuena or Barfield (assuming neither is starting).....but we'll see how the rest of the offseason goes as well as ST....

Gonna be a nice AAA lineup no matter how things shake out, that's for sure.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Uncle Rick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 am

Good lineup but check out the one right below them...

1. Constanza-CF
2. Mills-1B
3. Santana-C
4. Goedert-3B
5. Weglarz-RF
6. Rivero-SS
7. Martin-DH
8. Mcbride-LF
9. Rodriguez-2B
Uncle Rick
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 am

I'm not so sure about Martin DHing at Akron (assuming you're talking about Todd Martin?). Heck, he could easily go to Lake County (though Kinston is where he may end up).

Could possibly see Stephen Head make a return to Akron. He deserves to be at AAA....but is it better to start him at Akron or have him sit on the bench in Columbus?

Also don't see anyway Mills is hitting in the 2-hole. He's a classic 4-5 guy. Strikes out way too much to hit in the 2 spot. Rodriguez would likely hit there.

McBride is a wild card of sorts too. If the Tribe wants him catching everyday he could go to Kinston.....but his bat should be at Akron. Could still split time with Santana there (Santana can play 3B and the OF)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Uncle Rick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 am

Mills hit at two-hole all last year. Agree he's not the classic two, but who's going to pitch around him with Santana on deck? Also, someone must've loved Goedert to place him in a Santana/Weglarz sandwich last year. Rodriguez led off alot last year so he and Constanza could be switched, but again Constanza is the traditional leadoff type. Todd Martin needs to be at AA soon, time isn't on his side. Head has nothing left to prove at Akron. Of course the same was true for Goleski and they kept him there, so who knows? McBride is another anomaly..AA bat, A glove. Two others who could be AA factors are Jared Head and Johnny "I homered off Clemens" Drennen.
Uncle Rick
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:55 am

Actually Mills hit in the 3-hole hole a lot last year. He started and ended the year there. Was hitting third behind Santana once he was aquired. Mills just doesn't have the necessary plate skills to hit 2nd. Not a bad idea to hit him there though to see if he can adjust and make more contact (kinda like what the Tribe did with Brad Snyder and the leadoff spot).

With a better option in Rodriguez for the 2-spot than Kinston had last year, I'd expect both guys to move down (though they may very well go with Santana in the 2-hole again to get all of those guys more at-bats in games).

Todd Martin needs to play at Kinston first though. You can't just jump the guy because he's getting older. 21 games is all he has at that level (and he was pretty bad there). If he starts out well at Kinston, could see a quick bump-up though. Jerad Head could see time at Akron....but with the numbers game my wind up back in Kinston for a bit. Don't see him starting over anyone at Akron right now unless a trade is made. Drennen has seen his OPS go down significantly after repeating Kinston......not sure he warrants a move to Akron though it's possible. I like Denham better. If he can develop some more power could one day become a decent 4th OFer (has nice speed already).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Uncle Rick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 am

I stand corrected on Mills, who did hit second until Santana joined the team then was moved to third. Martin, if he's finally healthy, should move quickly to his proper level. Drennen I would think either plays at Akron or is released. My original point still stands, that Akron will field an exciting lineup this year. Pitching is another story, outside of Rondon.
Uncle Rick
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Uncle Rick wrote:I stand corrected on Mills, who did hit second until Santana joined the team then was moved to third. Martin, if he's finally healthy, should move quickly to his proper level. Drennen I would think either plays at Akron or is released. My original point still stands, that Akron will field an exciting lineup this year. Pitching is another story, outside of Rondon.

And good bit to start the year (about the first month and a half in the 3-hole).

Akron's pitching should still be pretty solid. With the depth at AAA a lot of guys will be back at Akron likely giving the rotation a boost.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk