RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2014 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2014 MLB Draft

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 am

Here's the mock I like best so far, especially if we could get the #21 pick underslot a bit:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/05/the- ... volume-vi/

Barring anyone falling significantly, here are some guys I like:

#21 (High School): Reid-Foley, Chavis, Ortiz, Adams, Bukaukas

#21 (College): Lemond, Howard, Finnegan

#31 (High School): Medeiros, Davidson, Kopech, Wall, Gettys

#31 (College): Stinnett, Papi, Gillaspie, Imhof, Fisher, Weaver

#38 (High School): McKinney, Gatto, Cease, Marshall, Verdugo, Griffin, Blewett, Reed, Sheffield, Fulenchek

#38 (College): Chapman, Oliver, Davis (either), Reed, Anderson, Lindgren

I'd take Gatewood at 31 but not 21. Sounds like his stock is rising again so he probably won't last to #31. No big deal, he's really raw.

Pre Tommy John, if Ben Smith was around at #61 I'd have grabbed him. No idea where he goes now but that's a premium LH arm to target.

PG has Austin DeCarr ranked #97 & I'd be happy to get him there if he's signable.

Andrew Morales is ranked #442 by PG. He's only 6' but hits 93 frequently during games, has a really nice slider and has impeccable command. He's at least Josh Tomlin 2.0. As a 10th Round Senior sign, he'd be perfect.

Jerry McClanahan of Irvine is the best defensive catcher that I've seen this year and I've seen Grayson Greiner a bunch. He hit .325 this year & handles the bat well with good discipline. Let's get him.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am

Check this out:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/6/1 ... al-summary

Don't want Harrison & don't like Mengden, who I've seen seveal times, at all. I'd sign up for the rest of it right now though.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 am

The Indians are in perfect position to select one of those injured arms for value since they have those two extra picks. Ben Smith is a mid round possibility as mentioned but even I'm more intrigued by Jordan Stephens from Rice, their ace pre-injury and the reason Lemond was converted to starter. He already got a medical redshirt, so he won't come cheap. It would have to be a 3rd to 5th round pick to make it work budget wise, but that seems like a longshot since teams don't like taking budget chances there. So he will probably be picked very late as a longshot flyer, which would be worth a shot since he's born 1992 and would lose a lot of money is he enters the 2016 draft as a 23/24yo rJR or rSR. Best money he will see might be this draft with the bonus of a pro medical staff supervising his recovery. If the Indians are able to save around 500k of budget in the top 10 rounds, he's an arm worth throwing that money at.

Another TJ arm is LHP Wes Benjamin from Kansas.

I'm also very bullish on WVU's LHP Harrison Musgrave. Would be a great pick in the 4th to 7th round range
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:59 am

Rocky55 wrote:Check this out:

Don't want Harrison & don't like Mengden, who I've seen seveal times, at all. I'd sign up for the rest of it right now though.

I don't mind Mengden, but yeah, there are probably 10+ other specs I'd rather pick at 128.

This Harrison chatter/connection is making me uneasy. I don't want him at all, even if he comes under slot, which I doubt. If the class was weaker, maybe. But to gamble on such a spec this high in this draft class would be a mistake in my opinion. I'd rather have Chavis and even Davidson at 21, but would look to avoid making a HS bat the first pick again. Indians were high on Bubba Starling too and that's reportedly who he reminds scouts of. Maybe those scouts should take a look at how Bubba is doing right now in the low Minors before they pull the trigger on Harrison.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Tondo wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Check this out:

I don't mind Mengden, but yeah, there are probably 10+ other specs I'd rather pick at 128.

This Harrison chatter/connection is making me uneasy. I don't want him at all, even if he comes under slot, which I doubt. If the class was weaker, maybe. But to gamble on such a spec this high in this draft class would be a mistake in my opinion. I'd rather have Chavis and even Davidson at 21, but would look to avoid making a HS bat the first pick again. Indians were high on Bubba Starling too and that's reportedly who he reminds scouts of. Maybe those scouts should take a look at how Bubba is doing right now in the low Minors before they pull the trigger on Harrison.

Harrison is even way more raw than Starling and can't be comped to Frazier at all. Frazier is a lifetime baseball rat with some rough edges. Harrison might be a 7 yr project. Or a bust. I watched Kopech throw 3 straight sliders by him that Harrison waved at. He's not that fast, 6.65. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to a kid whose claim to fame is that he's a great football/basketball player. I'd take Forrest Wall (best 60-6.51) shoulder injures included, over Harrison right now. A healthy Forrest Wall is the better baseball spec without question, IMO.

Last thing, I can't imagine the scenario in which Harrison comes in under slot, can you?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 am

Totally agree with you Rocky when it comes to Harrison. Let's hope he does not get picked by Antonetti.

After doing a College and HS arms mock, here is my All-Bats mock. Combined with the other two mock drafts hat should be plenty of targets for the top 10 rounds:

21 Schwarber/Chavis
31 AJ Reed/Davidson/Gillaspie
38 Papi/Wall/Travis
61 Travis/B.Anderson/B.Bradley/Forbes/Vallot/
97 B.Anderson/B.Bradley/Loehr
128 Zagunis/C.Joe
158 Haseley/E.Cary
188 Z.Sullivan
218 C.Adams (SR)/DeMuth (SR)/M.Payton (SR)
248 L.Sowers/Brizuela
288 J.Booker/J.Pickens
318 J.Gardner (SR)/Conde
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 am

On the eve of the Draft.. there appears to be quite a bit of scrambling, and little solid information being heard.. W/R to the Indians, they don't seem to be willing to let anyone know what their planning.. The speculation for the Indians picks in the top one hundred picks of the entire draft (21, 31, 38, 61 and 97, respectively) on this forum has ranged from the ALL Injured to the College Senior laden easy signings.. With this in mind, a consensus seems out of the question. Just looking at the first (#21 overall) pick from this thread/board over just the last two pages alone tells you that.. No one knows.. Well, the thought occurred.. why not list these guys in any order.. then, eliminate the obvious.. leaving you with the top two or three...

Starting with the understanding that at # 21 overall in the first round, the Indians will (proposed, not absolute)select one of: AJ Reed / Gillaspie / Schwarber / Beede / Griffin / Hoffman / Weaver / Fisher/ Fedde / Newcomb / Howard / Lemond / Holmes / Finnegan / Chavis / Reid-Foley / Ortiz / Adams / Bukauskas

Of the 19 named potential targets. it's easy to eliminate a few...

-Bukauskas, Newcomb Holmes Schwarber and Beede = won't sign and/or won't be there, respectively...
Down to 14
-Hoffman, Fedde Finnegan, Fisher, Ortiz and Lemond = only Hoffman might be considered at # 21, but I think he'll be gone
The rest of this group will be passed on for injury concerns, but could be considered for # 31 and later...
Down to the Top Eight

-Now it begins to get more difficult..

The Batters: By eliminating what would otherwise be marginally minor difference, none are left..
...AJ Reed & Gillaspie are 1-tool only guys. This makes them a # 31 or later pick..so they're out..
...Chavis is a not great defensive middle infielder with a not great hit tool. IDK why he's even on the list, tbh..

The Pitchers: A projected starter is always more valuable than a projected reliever. This draft is FULL of projected SP's:
...Nick Howard has more projection as a Back of the Pen RP than SP. Puts him out of the running for now
...Sean Reid-Foley, Spencer Adams, Foster Griffin, & Luke Weaver remain. Only Griffin is a lefty, all else being equal..

And using this moderately biased process of elimination, the Indians select, Foster Griffin with the # 21 overall pick..

meh.. they may take Sean Reid-Foley at 21 and Griffin at 31.. who knows...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:29 pm

From PG Mock Draft 3.0:

"Reports indicate that Bukauskas' initial letter informing teams not to draft him due to his desire to attend North Carolina may have been overplayed."

"the Indians appear to be a strong candidate to lock in on a player riddled with uncertainty...like Fedde or Bukaukas."
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Could we add Tyler Beede to that list? Perhaps Brandon Finnegan if he slides ~ who knows with him. I've heard he's up and down the board. I'd throw Luke Weaver and Luis Ortiz out there as well, hard to say but they might be undervalued pieces. I think that's what the Tribe will be looking for - unique circumstances - jumping on the opportunity to buy low on premium talent.

I think we could see a number of scenario's, but here's my attempt at a few...

(A)
1.21 Casey Gillespie
1.31 Luis Ortiz
1.38 Luke Weaver
(B)
1.21 Tyler Beede
1.31 Derek Fisher
1.38 Michael Kopech
(C)
1.21 Erick Fedde
1.31 Foster Griffin
1.38 AJ Reed
(D)
1.21 Brandon Finnegan
1.31 Alex Blandino
1.38 Matt Imhof

Btw, I wouldn't mind to see the Tribe get Chavis 3b/RF/2b
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Tondo wrote:The Indians are in perfect position to select one of those injured arms for value since they have those two extra picks. Ben Smith is a mid round possibility as mentioned but even I'm more intrigued by Jordan Stephens from Rice, their ace pre-injury and the reason Lemond was converted to starter. He already got a medical redshirt, so he won't come cheap. It would have to be a 3rd to 5th round pick to make it work budget wise, but that seems like a longshot since teams don't like taking budget chances there. So he will probably be picked very late as a longshot flyer, which would be worth a shot since he's born 1992 and would lose a lot of money is he enters the 2016 draft as a 23/24yo rJR or rSR. Best money he will see might be this draft with the bonus of a pro medical staff supervising his recovery. If the Indians are able to save around 500k of budget in the top 10 rounds, he's an arm worth throwing that money at.

Another TJ arm is LHP Wes Benjamin from Kansas.

I'm also very bullish on WVU's LHP Harrison Musgrave. Would be a great pick in the 4th to 7th round range

Braden Webb, RHP, Owasso, OK HS. Had TJ surgery this Spring, 6'4", 195. Via PG "very live FB to 93, best pitch sharp mid-70's 11-5 CB with big depth."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekq96j8XyT0
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Stephens and Webb are both guys I'd like to see them take a risk on.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

Meh, I really don't want Bukauskas. He's the HS version of Cederoth to me. Fastball thrower and then a lot of nothing, no thanks. He lacks control and secondary pitches, so pretty much 2/3 of what consitutes a pitcher.

Harrison, Bukauskas, Fisher, Blandino, Gatewood, Gettys, Ramos, Reetz, Cederoth and C.Oliver are the specs I hope the Indians do NOT draft tonight. They've been linked to too many of them to my liking, so I'm already hoping it will only be one of them and hopefully not at 21.

I understand selecting an injured pitcher who falls due to that injury, but I don't get the logic of being allowed to take on more of a risk with projects and hype players just because they have 2 extra picks. Make em count, don't waste them just because you have them. Bluntly, I don't even see much of an upside with most of the guys I listed.

Otoh, my top 10 targets for day one probably are: Schwarber, Finnegan, Reid-Foley, Weaver, M.Marshall, Sheffield, AJ Reed, Travis, Papi, Davidson. I also like Imhof, Stinnett, Lemond, B.Bradley, F.Wall, Lindgren and Sands. Something like Reid-Foley/Finnegan, Weaver/Marshall, AJ Reed/Davidson, Papi/Travis are probably my dream scenarios for day one, but really, any 4 of those guys and I will be very happy about this draft.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am

FWIW BA's final mock has the Indians grabbing Michael Chavis at 21 & Brandon Finnegan at 31.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:32 am

Tondo, I don't know where you got the idea that Bukaukas was wild. The guy is basically a 17 yr. old Dylan Bundy, a guy who touches 100 with upside. If I was sure that he'd sign I'd take him with a top 10 pick. Check this out:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=9748

Tribe pops this guy at #21 I'm jumping out of my chair.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 am

I read that too Rocky, but it pretty much gushed over his jump in velo only too. I don't know, then he writes the letter, not sure what the intention of that was? To drive up his price? I get that he's only 17, so I'm not knocking him for that but is he getting bad advice? Whatever scouting report I read on him, it's pretty much his fastball as plus-plus and then a lot of ??, from control to secondaries. Maybe I'm way off though, wouldn't be the first time :wink

I just prefer more "balance" in prospects, especially from HS. That's why I like Reid-Foley, Sheffield, Marshall and someone like Brady from last year's Indians class. We've all seen enough fastball-only guys fail to know better
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Tondo, this is the quote from the linked article that I'm emphasizing:

"His defining characteristic was that his slider and changeup were potential plus-pitches and he had the ability to use them with precision, even coming out of his then-sophomore year."

PG also notes a "well balanced three pitch repertoire and an aggressive command of the strike zone".

Sounds pretty polished, no?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 pm

You know..the letter Bukauskas supposedly sent out said.. "..immature.." Whether it's been rescinded or not.. it was out there and he wore it.. Being 17 going on 18, that can be expected. Being 17 going on 18 and throwing a mid upper 90s fastball.. that AIN'T expected..

When you watch him.. with that "feint" toe tap.. I just shake my head and ask.. "..this little guy can bring it at nearly triple digits???.." Can he meet the numbers that are being bandied about by the scouts and wags.. I'm sure he can.. Can he continue that for a career... IDK.. he's seems soooo small.. # 38.. maybe.. I'd be okay with that...

Thoughts..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:18 pm

oh.. and a quick note on Jeff's Mock 6..should have stopped four mocks ago.. at least
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 pm

One more thing on Bukauskas...I swear.

Via PG:

Grant Holmes: 6'2" 190 lbs.

Touki Toussaint: 6'2" 195 lbs.

Jacob Bukauskas: 6'1" 195 lbs.

Mac Marshall: 6'2" 185 lbs.

Justus Sheffield: 6'2" 195 lbs.

Alex Verdugo: 6'1" 200lbs.

Dylan Cease: 6'2" 180lbs.

A blast from the past:

Sonny Gray: 5'11" 195 lbs.

Last, my Bukaukas comp:

Dylan Bundy: 6'1" 195 lbs.

Little guy? Which one?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:35 pm

These HS pitchers may still have some growth in them. I mean at 17/18 some of these guys are bound to add a little more to their frame.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Hey everyone - Rocky, Tondo, G'son, Ohio Baseball and Homer in particular, thank you so much for keeping me informed on the draft and the prospects... I truly appreciate it.

In regards to Bukauskas... Between the ages of 17-19 I grew about 3 more inches so.....

I like him but he comes with a lot of risk... Haley 2.0? That is what has got me scared.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Hey everyone - Rocky, Tondo, G'son, Ohio Baseball and Homer in particular, thank you so much for keeping me informed on the draft and the prospects... I truly appreciate it.

In regards to Bukauskas... Between the ages of 17-19 I grew about 3 more inches so.....

I like him but he comes with a lot of risk... Haley 2.0? That is what has got me scared.

No problem, it helps to have the resources in one place and numerous comparisons offer perspective.

I grew an inch or two myself, plus put on thirty lbs of muscle - of course the military will do that to you. That's my point some of these guys are grown men, others have to fill out their frame. Even some of these college arms in particular are likely to put add some weight / size.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:16 pm

I'd like to see something like... (Some I really like, others not so much, but they'll probably grab a few of the seniors assuming they go aggressive on some pks).

1.21 Tyler Beede, Michael Chavis, Luis Ortiz, Brandon Finnegan, Grant Holmes*, Sean Reid-Foley*
1.31 Casey Gillaspie, Luke Weaver, Erick Fedde, Nick Burdi
1.38 Matt Imhof, Derek Fisher, Michael Kopech, Mac Marshall*, Alex Blandino*
2.61 Jake Lindgren, Chris Ellis, Greg Allen, Matt Chapman, Keaton McKinney, Josh Morgan, Jake Stinnett, Andrew Saurez, Aramis Garcia, Taylor Sparks, Jack Flaherty*
3.97 Jake Cosart, Eric Skuglund, Austin Gomber, Jake Godfrey, Taylor Gushue, Cobi Johnson, Zech Lemond, Aaron Brown
4.127 Sam Clay, Dillon Peters, Adam Ravenelle, John Curtiss, Jordan Foley
5.157 Jordan Stephens, Michael Mader, Robbie Dickey, Heath Fillmyer, Tanner Scott
6.187 Luke Bonfield, Austin Cousino, Devon Fisher, Zach Thompson, Brett Honeywell, Jeff Brigham
7.217 Brian Miller, David Berg, Sam Hentges, Tanner English, Turner Larkins, Braden Webb
8.247 Jeff Chandler, Ryan Harris, Andrew Morales, Josh Laxer, Shane Benes
9.277 Dustin DeMuth, Mark Payton, Lukas Schiraldi, Conor Harber, Brandon Bonilla
10.307 Karsten Whitson, Taylor Lewis, Derick Velasquez, Dale Carey, Joey Epperson

I think several of these guys (Holmes, Beede, Reid-Foley) could be gone by the time Tribe pks.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TheWord » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Just a few thoughts I put together on some guys I like:

In the 21 range:
Grant Holmes - RHP - Conway (SC) - Most polished prep pitcher, has two or three pitches which would be considered plus or future plus. Best command in the class as well. Needs to get in shape.

Kyle Freeland - LHP - Evansville - I like the Sale comparison but he won't make the instant impact. Silder is death to just about any hitter.

Derek Hill - OF - Elk Grove (CA) - Athlete with a pretty impressive all-around game. Some say the best athlete in the class, plus plus defense. I have more faith he'll hit more than others do.

Touki Toussaint - RHP - Coral Springs (FL) - Potentially the best pure stuff, absolutely has the best curveball. Doesn't always know where it's going.

Luis Ortiz - RHP - Sanger (CA) - Might not be healthy, but has a pretty good ceiling and has good command for his age.

Casey Gillespie - 1B - Wichita St. - True power/OBP switch hitter who would fill a big organizational need. Can't play any other position, but probably has the best plate discipline in the class, maybe the last two classes (58-28 BB:K this year).

Derek Fisher - OF - Virginia - Broke his hamate bone and basically shit the bed this year. Really good advanced hitter who could hit 20-25 with decent OBP.

Bradley Zimmer - OF - San Francisco - Another advanced college hitter, though less than the other two.

At 31/38:
Alex Blandino - 3B - Stanford - Managed to show a good feel for hitting despite playing at Stanford, I think he sticks at third too.

Monte Harrison - OF - Lee's Summit (MO) - Another one in the athlete category, but he's got more power than your average raw athlete.

Mac Marshall - LHP - Parkview (GA) - Program has produced some good ones, Marshall has some projection left as he bulks up and I think he'd end up at the top of the draft board if he were a year younger. I've seen him more than any other prospect, I'm on board.

Jack Flaherty - RHP - Harvard Westlake (CA) - Another great HS program, he's a two way prospect that I like more on the mound.

Under no circumstances:
Brandon Finnegan - LHP - TCU - Too small, injured and not enough pure stuff. TCU has made it a habit to kill pitchers careers from overuse.

Kyle Schwarber - C - Indiana - Can't catch, which makes his value go down way too much for me to draft him in the first.

Jacob Gatewood - INF - Clovis (CA) - May have the best raw power of any high schooler, and is a good enough athlete. Just can't hit...like at all.

Tyler Beede - RHP - Vandy - Questions about his makeup and health take him out of the equation for me. Don't think his stuff is that good.

Max Pentecost - C - Kennesaw State - Will never hit for power, and I don't think he'll hit for average at the next level. Sure can catch though.

Michael Chavis - INF/C - Sprayberry (GA) - Really like the kid, and he's polarizing for me. I've seen good and bad, but people talk about moving him to catcher and that's sketchy for me. Too important of a draft to mess around with a chance like that.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Schwarber at #4 is surprising. Will the Cubs ever draft a pitcher?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Blue Jays with two College specs? 9 picks left. What if one of A.Jackson, Zimmer, Beede, Holmes, Touissant or T.Turner falls to 21?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 pm

Tondo wrote:Blue Jays with two College specs? 9 picks left. What if one of A.Jackson, Zimmer, Beede, Holmes, Touissant or T.Turner falls to 21?

Jackson's gone. I'd love to get Zimmer or Holmes. Beede kinda scares me with inconsistency & Touki with how raw he is. Turner is gone now too. I'm surprised Pentecost got picked that high. Catching at a premium. Makes you wonder how we got Gomes that cheap.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Wow, SF took Beede. They have good pitcher development and should be able to straighten him out. Strong #2 SP upside.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Oops, somehow missed Jackson.

Not sure with Zimmer and haven't thought about him enough, but what are his tools? Looks pretty average across the board. He played in a bad Conference and was very mediocre in CapeCod (2:17 K:BB). Not sold.

I'm getting a late conservative push. I'd like someone like Weaver. He has dominated in College, has enough stuff, good control. Don't overthink it. Probably saves budget on top of it.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Tondo wrote:Oops, somehow missed Jackson.

Not sure with Zimmer and haven't thought about him enough, but what are his tools? Looks pretty average across the board. He played in a bad Conference and was very mediocre in CapeCod (2:17 K:BB). Not sold.

I'm getting a late conservative push. I'd like someone like Weaver. He has dominated in College, has enough stuff, good control. Don't overthink it. Probably saves budget on top of it.

Zimmer's a big lanky kid with a great arm who plays CF & could end up in RF. Really good speed for his size & the best bat to ball in this draft class. Prolly go to KC though.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Glad KC took Finnegan. The injury scares me.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Any interest in Sean Reid-Foley if he;s still there?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Any interest in Sean Reid-Foley if he;s still there?

Hell yeah. He's got more upside than Fedde.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Any interest in Sean Reid-Foley if he;s still there?

Hell yeah. He's got more upside than Fedde.

I don't get this Fedde pick. I saw him last summer and liked him, thought he'd be a late first round caliber guy perhaps, but he has Tommy John and goes 19th overall? He better be signing at a big discount otherwise that doesn't make sense. This isn't Lucas Giolito. Fedde isn't that great of a talent. I'd be ticked if I were a Nationals fan if he doesn't sign at a big discount.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Chief Wahoo is astride the chicken! (on the cluck)

Top 5 remaining per mlb.com top 200

Zimmer
Holmes
Reid-Foley
Hill
Chavis
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Grant Holmes would be huge.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Bet they didn't expect Zimmer to be there. Wonder if it screws up their board.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby theshow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I don't get this Fedde pick. I saw him last summer and liked him, thought he'd be a late first round caliber guy perhaps, but he has Tommy John and goes 19th overall? He better be signing at a big discount otherwise that doesn't make sense. This isn't Lucas Giolito. Fedde isn't that great of a talent. I'd be ticked if I were a Nationals fan if he doesn't sign at a big discount.

Tommy John is an inevitability nowadays, and most guys come back stronger. Nothing to be scared off by. It actually can almost be seen as a good think when a guy gets Tommy John because he may not need it later
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Bet they didn't expect Zimmer to be there. Wonder if it screws up their board.

I assume they rank everyone just in case they drop.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I like Zimmer a lot. Talent & upside. Bat to ball is great. Great arm. Covers ground in the OF. Had a 1.034 OPS this yr. Had 31 BB & 34 K's. Hits a lot of line drives.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 pm

theshow wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:I don't get this Fedde pick. I saw him last summer and liked him, thought he'd be a late first round caliber guy perhaps, but he has Tommy John and goes 19th overall? He better be signing at a big discount otherwise that doesn't make sense. This isn't Lucas Giolito. Fedde isn't that great of a talent. I'd be ticked if I were a Nationals fan if he doesn't sign at a big discount.

Tommy John is an inevitability nowadays, and most guys come back stronger. Nothing to be scared off by. It actually can almost be seen as a good think when a guy gets Tommy John because he may not need it later

I get it. Guys come back from Tommy John. I wanted the Indians to take Giolito two years ago. But to say it's "inevitable" is exactly right. Most pitchers never need Tommy John. Only approximately 1/3 of pitchers in MLB have had Tommy John. So it's common, but most pitchers don't need it.

It's a major surgery and Fedde is going to miss around 14-18 months of development time. He'll probably come back OK, but the guy was just drafted as if he's 100% healthy (in my opinion). It's ridiculous. I'm not arguing with you, I just think its stupid. If there's no $$ discount on Fedde, it's like the Nationals are placing zero risk on Fedde's injury which is just negligent. The guy isn't *that* talented. Good Lord I'm happy the Indians didn't do something like that.

On the Indians, I like the Zimmer selection. He's got some real nice projection with athleticism. He's going to get stronger as he matures if he wants to put in time in the weight room. It's not too often you get projection, athleticism and production from college positional talents.

There's still good players left for the next 2 picks.
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 pm

I like Zimmer, he doesn't blow me away. I would have went Grant Holmes, but I can stomach Zimmer. I think he ends up an everyday RF in the future with AllStar potential. I think Holmes could develop into a number 2 SP.

It's really looking like another qlty player or two slides to 31 and 38.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 pm

To play devil's advocate: He has that great OPS in a crappy Conference though and helped out by a BABIP over .400. In 2013 his BABIP was .340 and his OPS was a less stellar .949 accordingly. He had a .730 OPS in 16 CapeCod games with a 2:17 BB:K ratio. He also went 0-9 vs the two best pitchers he faced last season: Pepperdine's Aaron Brown and Corey Miller.

I think the internet rankings are making some of you feel better about this :wink , but I don't hate the pick as much as it sounds. I just think he does not have one single "safe" tool as of now...and for an "advanced" College bat that scares me. He has a lot of Naquin to his game in that regard. I fail to see the upside. I hope he pans out, but he was not the best College hitter left, he doesn't have AJ Reed's or Travis' power, he doesn't possess Papi's hit tool and I'm not sure he'll steal bases when he puts on weight to that frame. What's left then?

A lot has to go right for him to become another Brantley. That is his MAX upside I can give him right now and yes, I would take that
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:43 pm

RSux got the guy we were linked to but I like Zimmer better.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:44 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:It's really looking like another qlty player or two slides to 31 and 38.

Yep, it seems like the Pirates and Athletics were drafting with an "underslot above everything" philosophy.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Can someone take Harrison and Gatewood off the board already?

I guess the Indians go pitcher now: Reid-Foley or Weaver would look good at 31. If they feel they have to save budget for Zimmer, Weaver makes the most sense.

DAMN, Cards just took Weaver. Cards are good in drafting and yes, we officially have a re-run of Naquin-Wacha with Zimmer-Weaver. If Weaver storms to the bigs as quick as Wacha, Antonetti will have a lot of egg on his face. I do not have a good feeling about this...
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Don't love the pick but I don't hate it. This is a deep draft from what I have learned. Will be interesting to see who is available when the tribe picks next. Thoughts? Will Reid Foley be there? !?!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Tondo,

I think Weaver will be in the bigs in the next two yrs. I mentioned a few days ago the Cards were in on him, but I thought he might slip to 31 / 38. Great pk by the Cards (as always).

I'm hoping Sean Reid-Foley slips to 31.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Tondo wrote:To play devil's advocate: He has that great OPS in a crappy Conference though and helped out by a BABIP over .400. In 2013 his BABIP was .340 and his OPS was a less stellar .949 accordingly. He had a .730 OPS in 16 CapeCod games with a 2:17 BB:K ratio. He also went 0-9 vs the two best pitchers he faced last season: Pepperdine's Aaron Brown and Corey Miller.

I think the internet rankings are making some of you feel better about this :wink , but I don't hate the pick as much as it sounds. I just think he does not have one single "safe" tool as of now...and for an "advanced" College bat that scares me. He has a lot of Naquin to his game in that regard. I fail to see the upside. I hope he pans out, but he was not the best College hitter left, he doesn't have AJ Reed's or Travis' power, he doesn't possess Papi's hit tool and I'm not sure he'll steal bases when he puts on weight to that frame. What's left then?

A lot has to go right for him to become another Brantley. That is his MAX upside I can give him right now and yes, I would take that

Internet rankings mean nothing to me. I believe that I linked a vid of Zimmer hitting. The swing is nice.

Zimmer vs Reed is a no brainer. Reed's swing is a bunch slower. Reed has the one tool that plays, namely the power. The arm does no good at 1B. The longer swing might be exposed at higher levels.

Zimmer has a great BABIP because he hits hard line drives. He hits bombs in BP but concentrates on driving the ball in games. Y'all know how much I like Papi but Zimmer's hit tool is better. Selection, not so much.

Looking forward to seeing Zimmer play.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 pm

I've seen Reed at UK, no thanks, his bats too slow. I think he could be a LH Mark Reynolds - raw power, low avg. lots of K's.

I like Reid-Foley at 31.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk