RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 International Free Agents

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2013 International Free Agents

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:6'3 205, has not pitched in a league for 3 years now, so giving him 1Mil he better be the second comming of Cliff Lee

I think you've misunderstood that...3 yrs in Cuban league to be a FA - that's part of the CBA guidelines. He has pitched in the under 16 and 18 National Series team.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Here's another little bit of info from Jesse Sanchez

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... e&c_id=cle

The Indians are closing in on a deal worth an estimated $1 million with Cuban teenage right-hander Leandro Linares Gonzalez, according to an industry source.

Linares, 19, pitched for the Cuban National Team 16-and-under squad in competitions in Chinese Taipei in 2009 and Lagos de Moreno, Mexico, in 2010. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound pitcher made a name for himself on the island by starring for Villa Clara in the 16-and-under and 18-and-under divisions in the National Championships in Cuba from 2009-2012.

Because he is younger than 23 years old and has not played at least three seasons in a Cuban professional league, Gonzalez is subject to the new international signing guidelines established by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The Indians have agreed to terms with four players, including shortstop Willy Castro, for $850,000, for a total close to $1.4 million since the international signing period began on July 2. Cleveland entered the period with a bonus pool of $3,636,900.

Interesting...4 signings, I've only been only to pickup 2: Junior Soto $600K & Willy Castro $850K ($1.45M). They also signed Francisco Rafael Rodriguez - a 23 yo LHP, but I don't know anything about him...he's pitched one game I think in AZ. I'm not sure if he's one of those two.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm

About Leandro Linares... here are a few quotes that may provide some insight:

-Notada bien enseguida. aparese que este nuevo desertor cubano esta bien joven y tira el pelote duro segun mira que a otros lados tienen problemas con control. (My translation: Worth Noting, This young cuban deserter Leandro Linares can throw very hard however like may youngsters he has problems with his control.

"..Jorge Diaz escapó recientemente del país junto con el prometeror serpentinero Leandro Linares –también de Sagua la Grande-, de que quien me hablaron encomiásticamente, pues su velocidad sobrepasa fácilmente las 90 millas

Jorge Diaz recently escaped/fled Cuba along with pitcher Leandro Linares who is also from Sagua Grande and is whom it is spoken with (a degree of respect or honor) that this talented pitcher has velocity the easily exceeds 90 miles per hour...

In other words.. this kid, at the age of 18,in 2012 was throwing in excess of 90 miles per hour and has fled the country. He's supposedly has the body of a MAN and the age of child. He has a well established age, so, the doubt in that area should be assuaged to some degree..

He sounds like a good risk.. Oh.. I forgot.. esta derecho.. is a right hander...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Interesting side note, from Jesse Sanchez... The Cubs will officially sign Eloy Jimenez for $2.8M on August 1st or August 2nd. Sounds like they are buying some time to pickup some more International FA spending pool money. Btw, he said another team offered him $5M (Rangers?) to break his agreement with the Cubs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:37 pm

at 6'3 205 he sounds pretty filled out for a pitcher and it sounds like he sits in the 90-92 range which is OK, nothing special though. hopefully he's got some good offspeed pitches
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:04 am

Move over Austin Powers, Leando Linares is the real 'international man of mystery'. There is virtually nothing on this guy out there. I understand the economic embargo against Cuba, so we're not going to get a ton of information on this guy. I'd be interested to hear how the scouting process went on this guy.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 am

The only thing I could really find on him was a brief stat line... 2IP 4K.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:15 pm

From Ben Badler (found link on The Twitter)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... o-linares/

Cuban righthander Leandro Linares has agreed to sign with the Indians for a $950,000 bonus.

Linares, 19, has been one of the top pitching prospects on the international market who is subject to the international bonus pools. At 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, Linares pitches at 89-93 mph and tops out at 94. He has loose wrists and throws a 73-76 mph curveball that flashes as a plus pitch with good depth and helps him miss bats, although it can get loopy at times. He also mixes in a changeup that’s average at times and throws a fourth pitch that scouts have described as either a cutter or slider.

Linares left Cuba before he had a chance to make an impact in Cuba’s Serie Nacional, but he was one of the country’s top up-and-coming pitchers. When he pitched in Cuba’s 18U national league last year, Linares posted a 1.91 ERA in with 76 strikeouts in 66 innings. He wasn’t a great strike thrower, as he walked 46 batters and hit seven more. Scouts who have seen him working out in the Dominican Republic have also noticed that he needs to improve his control and repeat his release point more frequently, although he does have a sound delivery.

While Linares is claiming Haitian residency, scouts have evaluated him in the Dominican Republic and in international tournaments before he left Cuba, including the 2009 World Youth Championship in Taiwan and in 2010 at the 16U COPABE Pan American championship in Mexico. Linares is represented by Bart Hernandez.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:18 pm

So it sounds as though Linares has some interesting stuff to work with and just like many young pitchers is in need of a lot of fine tuning. A very interesting pitcher non the less.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Lineras to AZL or MV?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I'd guess once everything is finalized he goes to AZL.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Interesting note.. the Angels received two medium low level not very well thought of prospects for some IFA slot money from the Mets.. The Mets could be looking to make a big splash..

Not a bad plan.. sounds like a Homer idea...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Interesting note.. the Angels received two medium low level not very well thought of prospects for some IFA slot money from the Mets.. The Mets could be looking to make a big splash..

Depends on how much they gave up and what they got in return. Saw that too, but didn't recognize the prospects involved.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Interesting note.. the Angels received two medium low level not very well thought of prospects for some IFA slot money from the Mets.. The Mets could be looking to make a big splash..

Depends on how much they gave up and what they got in return. Saw that too, but didn't recognize the prospects involved.

$ 362K.. ballooning the Mets cache to over $ 3 MM available for IFA signings.. Is there a miguel alfredo gonzalez signing in the mets very near future?.. should there be?.

Who would be the best targets available?:
Eloy Jimenez, c-of, Dominican Republic
Luis Encarnacion, 3b, Dominican Republic
Leonardo Molina, cf, Dominican Republic
Jen-Ho Tseng, rhp, Taiwan
Mayky Perez, rhp, Dominican Republic
Wilson Amador, ss, Dominican Republic

Here is a Sickels Scouting report with videos of most of the players mentioned here..

The mets now have the $$$ to make the deal happen..so do other clubs...including the Indians.. fwiw, Luis Encarnacion rates as the best hitter/position player that the Indians could/should target,imho. In the opposite direction, the Indians would be very wise to steer clear of Mayky Perez..he's a Fausto type wildly effective moving to effectively wild SP candidate that will eat up most, if not all, of the IFA cash leaving the Tribe with a pitcher who will walk as many guys as he k's..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:01 pm

All but Encarnacion and Molina have agreed to deals. Word is Encarnacion has a deal in place with the Phillies and Molina with the Yankee...just waiting for their b-day to sign.

Right now, the Tribe has about $1.2 M available to spend. They can still sign up to 5 more players (up to 6) for $50K each w/o it counting against their pool. Btw, they signed a C from Taiwan for $40K (that was on BA - awhile back) but I can't recall his name.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Reports that Phillies have signed Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez for over $50M.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Reports that Phillies have signed Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez for over $50M.
A little under that number. The Dodgers were allegedly offering in excess of $ 50 MM..

This signing falls outside of the IFA signing pools due to age.. IDK that the Phillies will continue with their interest in Encarnacion after this signing.. Hear any rumblings to this effect?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Reports that Phillies have signed Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez for over $50M.
A little under that number. The Dodgers were allegedly offering in excess of $ 50 MM..

This signing falls outside of the IFA signing pools due to age.. IDK that the Phillies will continue with their interest in Encarnacion after this signing.. Hear any rumblings to this effect?..

why am i not shocked you're wrong again? he signed for 60 Mil but only 50 mil is guarenteed
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 am

Early reports were Gonzalez got $50M from Philly. Then more recent reports $48M with $11M option totaling $59M.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:42 am

GeronimoSon wrote:

Philly is going to be reworking a new TV this offseason, so I would say yes they sign Encarnacion ($1.3M).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:45 am

ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

why am i not shocked you're wrong again? he signed for 60 Mil but only 50 mil is guarenteed

As homer said, he signed for $48M. He got a 6yr/$48M deal with an option. Gson was accurate here.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

As homer said, he signed for $48M. He got a 6yr/$48M deal with an option. Gson was accurate here.

:lol :lol :lol WRONG
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--ph ... 41531.html
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:34 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Glad to see your reading comprehension skills are truly lacking. Gson/Homer ARE correct. He's GUARANTEED 6 years/$48 million. The deal COULD reach $59 million.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Glad to see your reading comprehension skills are truly lacking. Gson/Homer ARE correct. He's GUARANTEED 6 years/$48 million. The deal COULD reach $59 million.

hey dipshit i said he was only guarenteed 50 mil but his contract was up to 60 mil. Between that ad asking for my list that was the post BEFORE you're you're the last jackass who needs to tell anybody how to read.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 pm

ASUTribefan wrote: hey dipshit i said he was only guarenteed 50 mil but his contract was up to 60 mil. Between that ad asking for my list that was the post BEFORE you're you're the last jackass who needs to tell anybody how to read.

That's enough in my book. Time to ignore.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

hey dipshit i said he was only guarenteed 50 mil but his contract was up to 60 mil. Between that ad asking for my list that was the post BEFORE you're you're the last jackass who needs to tell anybody how to read.

You were the wrong one. You attempted to correct another user who was right in what they were saying. I corrected you by saying that YOU were wrong. Which you are. And I've already begun the process for you to be banned. Adios.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 am

Oh the joys of message boards. :biggrin

Let's just try and keep things a little lighter everyone. No bans are necessary at this time.

If you don't like something someone says, simply ignore them and stop responding to them and carrying on the problem. If the person persists and trolls for reactions, then we will take care of it.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:47 am

is Linares not going to pitch this year? only got about a month left and still haven't heard of him being sent anywhere
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

Linares probably pitches in instructs this yr. He still has to be cleared by the US Gov't, etc. Sounds like that will take about 1 month. They will probably focus on strength and conditioning and try to get him some innings in winter ball.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 pm

The Yankees have signed talented CF Leanardo Molina for a reported $1.4 M. Molina is easily a top 10 signing. Coupled with the signing of SS Yoanaris Rodriguez, the Yankees have exceeded their pool money at 5.1% incurring a tax of 75% on the overage and a signing restriction of players at or below the $500K threshold during the 2014-2015 signing period.

The Yankees mark the third team incur signing restrictions. The Rangers and Cubs will be limited to signings of $250K or less. However, the Cubs have yet to officially sign Eloy Jimenez. Although, they are expected to make an announcement today or tomorrow. The Cubs could still acq. IFA funds through the August waiver trade process, but it must occur before they out spend their signing pool.

The Cubs overage is significant bc they will likely have one of the top 5-10 largest spending pools, half of the pool being tradeable. It would seem likely that the (Rangers and) Cubs will be sellers next yr.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Yankees have signed talented CF Leanardo Molina for a reported $1.4 M. Molina is easily a top 10 signing. Coupled with the signing of SS Yoanaris Rodriguez, the Yankees have exceeded their pool money at 5.1% incurring a tax of 75% on the overage and a signing restriction of players at or below the $500K threshold during the 2014-2015 signing period.

The Yankees mark the third team incur signing restrictions. The Rangers and Cubs will be limited to signings of $250K or less. However, the Cubs have yet to officially sign Eloy Jimenez. Although, they are expected to make an announcement today or tomorrow. The Cubs could still acq. IFA funds through the August waiver trade process, but it must occur before they out spend their signing pool.

The Cubs overage is significant bc they will likely have one of the top 5-10 largest spending pools, half of the pool being tradeable. It would seem likely that the (Rangers and) Cubs will be sellers next yr.

The cubs are looking to restock talent to their minors now..at the cost of penalties and restrictions as part of doing business. It's still less than 1/3 of what they'd pay in signing bonuses if these players were drafted at their projected spots..

There is no question that a World Draft is coming.. The Cubs may not have to worry about their restrictions if this is expedited, something Bug Selig and, the players and the owners absolutely want to see done. MLB may not be ready for it now, but there's no reason they couldn't become ready...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

You were the wrong one. You attempted to correct another user who was right in what they were saying. I corrected you by saying that YOU were wrong. Which you are. And I've already begun the process for you to be banned. Adios.

I was not wrong, you just can read to save you're life. and Banned :lol
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

I was not wrong, you just can read to save you're life. and Banned :lol

You got your warning from Tony. You keep throwing around the insults that you were though and you will get banned. Arguing with you is pointless because you always think you're right. Amazing how you never replied to that Marson/Gomes comment you made once I threw the stats out that Gomes > Marson. :lol
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:21 am

Eloy Jimenez has officially signed with the Cubs..the # 1 overall IFA prospect signed for $ 2.8 MM plus a promise of a college scholarship... This marks the best IFA class signing by a single team in recorded history!! or the Cubs got a bunch of gomers that will be unable to handle the curve ball thrown from Peanut Boy...

..and amy adams is easy on the eyes.. she's way better in her role as Julie in Julie/Julia...btw..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Eloy Jimenez has officially signed with the Cubs..the # 1 overall IFA prospect signed for $ 2.8 MM plus a promise of a college scholarship... This marks the best IFA class signing by a single team in recorded history!! or the Cubs got a bunch of gomers that will be unable to handle the curve ball thrown from Peanut Boy...

..and amy adams is easy on the eyes.. she's way better in her role as Julie in Julie/Julia...btw..

Tremendous class for the Cubs in terms of prospect rankings / signings. They won't have much next yr, but they can always turn half of their pool allotment into real prospects / players that are further along the developmental path.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:19 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Eloy Jimenez has officially signed with the Cubs..the # 1 overall IFA prospect signed for $ 2.8 MM plus a promise of a college scholarship... This marks the best IFA class signing by a single team in recorded history!! or the Cubs got a bunch of gomers that will be unable to handle the curve ball thrown from Peanut Boy...

Tremendous class for the Cubs in terms of prospect rankings / signings. They won't have much next yr, but they can always turn half of their pool allotment into real prospects / players that are further along the developmental path.

it's so hard to project 16 year olds but I'd rather have 1 stud than 10 projects....just saying that you can find guys to fill rosters on all levels but studs make a difference....who knows if Eloy will develop but if he does....the Cubs might ....well the might......heck it's so far out there I can't finish that sentence.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Completely agree, these guys are just 16-18 a lot can happen on their developmental path between Rookie ball and the Bigs. A large volume of highly talented kids certainly bodes well to getting some return out of the investment. It's hard to not be encouraged by landing the top 2 prospects and about 5 of the top 30 prospects.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 am

The Phillies have announced the signing of Luis Encarnacion.. a $ 1 MM bonus baby. Happy 16th Birthday to him today.. On another front, the Phillies appear to be in a difficult situation with Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Apparently, something is going on with this guy's elbow.. One report said scar tissue from bone chips being removed.. another wasn't quite as certain.. FWIW, the 6 year $ 8 MM/yr deal plus a club option, may go up in smoke, putting this guy back on the market.. Hard to say at this point...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk