RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

It's that time of the year again.....time to get these threads started to talk about the games and players.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 am

I'm a little puzzled by the opening day roster for the Clippers. I understand some of the filler guys like Petit, Spillborghs and the bullpen guys. I don't understand why Andy LaRoche needs to be on the team, much less why he was DHing last night in favor of Beau Mills. Was he impressive enough in spring training to warrant another look?

Also, with the new CBA, can't most of these guys opt out by June or something like that?
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:06 pm

I thought the new June opt-out rule only applied to players with 5 or more years of big league service time. So it applies to a guy like Spill, but LaRoche only has about 3.5 years of service time, so don't believe he has an opt out. I too would like to see Mills play everyday, especially over LaRoche.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Kluber had 10 K's in 5 IP today against Louisville. Of course, La Porta hit his 2nd HR today also. Not sure the competiton/ skill level is too high in AAA.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:34 am

So far Chiz has just one K in 3 games/12AB but still no Walks. Not sure if this is a concern or not. I know the K/BB rate with the big club was troubling & something he needed to work on to stick in MLB. He seems to be agressive with anything he considers to be hittable, which is a welcome change compared to Brantley, et al. Like to see him up with the Indians soon.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby timdav » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Per an Akron Aeros press release today (Friday, April 13, 2012) catcher Michael Hernandez has been promoted to Columbus.

Is Luke Carlin DL'd or gone?
timdav
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:47 pm

timdav wrote:Per an Akron Aeros press release today (Friday, April 13, 2012) catcher Michael Hernandez has been promoted to Columbus.

Is Luke Carlin DL'd or gone?


Disabled list

There's a lot of starters right now that are going to need to be re-added to the rotation mid-season. Huff, Espino, Packer and Adams are all going to have to find a spot in Akron/Columbus at some point, I'm somewhat curious to see how that will all shake out.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Chiz 3-for-3 with 2 2B and a HR tonight so far..... all off LHP Jeff Francis.

7-for-18 with 2 HR off LHPs to date.

.396 on the year overall with 5 2B, 4HR in just 48ABs
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 am

LaRoche has it in his contract where he can opt out on June 1st if he is not on a ML roster.

Indians just wanted to load up AAA with as many depth options as possible. Unfortunately, there is no one in AA that is a Major League option or more valuable as that kind of guy than LaRoche. After being forced to move guys up last year when they were not really ready, the Indians are treating AAA now as a holdover area for ML guys (as they should). Triple-A is not really a prospect league and should be where teams house extra options to fill in....and of course if the opportunity is there to put some of their near-ready prospects.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TAIWANSOCOOL » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am

Where is CC LEE, haven't seen him lately, is he injured ?
TAIWANSOCOOL
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 pm

TAIWANSOCOOL wrote:Where is CC LEE, haven't seen him lately, is he injured ?


Just put on the DL today actually with right forearm tightness.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby ClevelandBlues » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 pm

I wonder why Beau Mills isn't getting more at bats? I realize he is no longer considered a top prospect, but with our trouble at first base it seems like he could be an option. Maybe a platoon with Duncan when Damon arrives? He might be a good bat for the bottom third of the order if Kotchman continues to struggle and if Laporta is sent to the outfield.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 pm

ClevelandBlues wrote:I wonder why Beau Mills isn't getting more at bats? I realize he is no longer considered a top prospect, but with our trouble at first base it seems like he could be an option. Maybe a platoon with Duncan when Damon arrives? He might be a good bat for the bottom third of the order if Kotchman continues to struggle and if Laporta is sent to the outfield.


Quite simply, he is not a prospect. Not a priority guy. Both LaPorta and Canzler are getting the lion's share of the 1B time, and the other guys on the roster getting a lot of DH time.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby ClevelandBlues » Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 pm

I can understand that, especially considering the way Laporta has been hitting, and that Canzler is right handed. But Laporta is 27 and Canzler is 26, so I would say they are not really that much different than Mills.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby toledobuck » Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am

Why was Scott Barnes pitching out of the bullpen?
toledobuck
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

toledobuck wrote:Why was Scott Barnes pitching out of the bullpen?


New role. Indians are going to take it week to week with him, so he could eventually move back to the rotation. But for now, they want to ensure the health of his arm, sorta like the White Sox did with Chris Sale. Barnes has had some soreness in his arm and was sidelined, so they are simply monitoring the workload and at the same time he could become an option in Cleveland much sooner as they are limited with true bullpen options at their disposal right now.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 am

If he takes to this new role well....I'd be a bit nervous if I were Sipp with how he's been pitching this season..
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 08, 2012 12:15 am

Hermie13 wrote:If he takes to this new role well....I'd be a bit nervous if I were Sipp with how he's been pitching this season..


Yep, this is clearly a move to help out now and right away. Sipp better be lights out from here on out.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:52 pm

On the same topic of moving starters to the pen.....I'm very interested in seeing how the Tribe handles Kluber this year.

Has been solid as a starter with a 2.78 ERA in his 6 starts. WHIP is a bit high though at 1.48 thanks to 16 walks in 32.1 innings...however, he's struck out 45 already! That's 12.5 per 9 innings. We're talking Pestano type strikeout numbers. I know it's only AAA....but man, if he can harness that for an inning or two and cut down the walks (like Hags did moving to the pen)....could be a very good 7th/8th inning guy helping out this year and give the Tribe options (move a bullpen arm like Smith? or even CP?)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:01 pm

ClevelandBlues wrote:I can understand that, especially considering the way Laporta has been hitting, and that Canzler is right handed. But Laporta is 27 and Canzler is 26, so I would say they are not really that much different than Mills.


Kinda agree here. I know Canzler had a great year at AAA in 2011 and is way more versatile than Mills in the field....but Canzler is striking out in 30% of his ABs (32 Ks in 106 ABs) and yet to hit a HR, not to mention has been useless against lefties to this point. He'll probably bounce back some, but when Mills is in there he's flat out hitting (4 HRs, OPS north of .950). Would be nice to see him get more at-bats. Agree that Mills isn't much of a prospect anymore....neither is Canzler though.

Definitely hurts Mills though being a 1B/DH only...understand that completely. Just a lil frustrating seeing homegrown kids like Mills and Goedert in AA raking while guys just as old and ordinary as Canzler getting more at-bats in AAA despite sucking.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby danh8 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Hermie13 wrote:On the same topic of moving starters to the pen.....I'm very interested in seeing how the Tribe handles Kluber this year.

Has been solid as a starter with a 2.78 ERA in his 6 starts. WHIP is a bit high though at 1.48 thanks to 16 walks in 32.1 innings...however, he's struck out 45 already! That's 12.5 per 9 innings. We're talking Pestano type strikeout numbers. I know it's only AAA....but man, if he can harness that for an inning or two and cut down the walks (like Hags did moving to the pen)....could be a very good 7th/8th inning guy helping out this year and give the Tribe options (move a bullpen arm like Smith? or even CP?)...


I've been thinking the same thing with Kluber. To me, I'm beginning to see a guy that could have success out of the pen in the major leagues. I see Kluber as a better pen arm, and Barnes as a starter, quite frankly.
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

It's an interesting thought. But at some point, isn't the bullpen strong enough? I mean, I love the thought of a bullpen with Kluber, Hagadone, Pestano and Joe Smith all in non-closing roles, but if Kluber can become a starter with his stuff, that will be of far more use to the major league team. If he can finish off his development, he'd be a better option than McAllister, Barnes, Huff, Gomez or Slowey.

Not saying that he will put it all together, but it's easy to understand why he's being given every chance to do so.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Edible14 wrote:It's an interesting thought. But at some point, isn't the bullpen strong enough? I mean, I love the thought of a bullpen with Kluber, Hagadone, Pestano and Joe Smith all in non-closing roles, but if Kluber can become a starter with his stuff, that will be of far more use to the major league team. If he can finish off his development, he'd be a better option than McAllister, Barnes, Huff, Gomez or Slowey.

Not saying that he will put it all together, but it's easy to understand why he's being given every chance to do so.


Thing with Kluber though is he really only profiles as a 4/5 SP. Scouts have thought of him as a potential 7th/8th inning reliever for a while. Would love to see him become a good ML starter, but just not sure it's in the cards. Same with Barnes, though I think he's got a better chance personally of staying in the rotation. Would be a nice to have a lefty in the rotation too.

Plus gotta think a guy like Chirs Perez could be on the block this upcoming winter. Could be making $6.5-7M in arby. Tribe could maybe trade him (especially if he has a good year), use Pestano in the closers role and use Kluber in the 7th/8th innings with Hags and Smith. Tribe could obviously keep Perez, but having an arm like Kluber around (not to mention CC Lee and others) helps give you some flexibility on how to handle the pen.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Plus gotta think a guy like Chirs Perez could be on the block this upcoming winter. Could be making $6.5-7M in arby. Tribe could maybe trade him (especially if he has a good year), use Pestano in the closers role and use Kluber in the 7th/8th innings with Hags and Smith. Tribe could obviously keep Perez, but having an arm like Kluber around (not to mention CC Lee and others) helps give you some flexibility on how to handle the pen.


Even if they get rid of both Raffy and Chris Perez this off-season, the bullpen looks more than solid. You've got Pestano closing, CC Lee and Hagadone as back-end guys, Sipp and Smith as the 6th/7th inning or matchup guys. The other two spots in the bullpen aren't used very much, so I don't really have a problem with slapping someone like Accardo, Ascensio, Herrman or Wheeler in those roles (maybe even Hector Rondon or Hector Ambriz). So I just don't see the need to be converting guys like Kluber and Barnes to those roles. Especially since the rotation situation is going to thin out a bit anyway next year with Lowe leaving (and maybe Hernandez/Carmona as well) and Huff and Slowey being out of options and potentially departing.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Plus gotta think a guy like Chirs Perez could be on the block this upcoming winter. Could be making $6.5-7M in arby. Tribe could maybe trade him (especially if he has a good year), use Pestano in the closers role and use Kluber in the 7th/8th innings with Hags and Smith. Tribe could obviously keep Perez, but having an arm like Kluber around (not to mention CC Lee and others) helps give you some flexibility on how to handle the pen.


Even if they get rid of both Raffy and Chris Perez this off-season, the bullpen looks more than solid. You've got Pestano closing, CC Lee and Hagadone as back-end guys, Sipp and Smith as the 6th/7th inning or matchup guys. The other two spots in the bullpen aren't used very much, so I don't really have a problem with slapping someone like Accardo, Ascensio, Herrman or Wheeler in those roles (maybe even Hector Rondon or Hector Ambriz). So I just don't see the need to be converting guys like Kluber and Barnes to those roles. Especially since the rotation situation is going to thin out a bit anyway next year with Lowe leaving (and maybe Hernandez/Carmona as well) and Huff and Slowey being out of options and potentially departing.


Think it's a bit premature to count on CC Lee as a back-end guy before he even pitches in the bigs.

While we do have depth in the pen, you could argue we have in the rotation too with Materson, Ubaldo, Tomlin, and Gomez next year, plus Carrasco coming back and McAllister and Slowey around, and heck possibly "Carmona" or a guy from outside the organization (similar to Lowe).

I just don't think Kluber is going to make it as a starter....would LOVE to be wrong though, but think the pen is where he'll end up. It's more about maximizing talent than seeing where you have the most depth.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Just my opinion, but to me its the opposite -- Scott Barnes is a high-effort thrower with a bit of funk in his delivery and a less than durable body build, whereas Kluber has a lot less effort in his delivery and a bigger, more durable body frame.

Corey Kluber reminds me of a Brandon Beachy type -- a guy without a ton of stuff, but hides his arm well behind his body in his delivery and has good deception. Both Beachy and Kluber are kind of pedestrian from a scouting perspective, but both seem to rack up K's from the deception in their deliveries. I think Beachy is a far better pitcher than Kluber, but both of these guys are under-the-radar types that don't stand out to scouts, but seem to get swings and misses.

Kluber's got a 1.48 WHIP (too many walks) in AAA and is 26-years old, so I'm really not expecting too much from him, but I think at some point he may provide some value as a 5th-starter or long-relief guy. Kluber may end up in relief but not b/c he doesn't profile as a SP, but b/c he walks too many guys and isn't effective enough.

I think Tony was right, drawing some comparisons on Barnes to the situation of Chris Sale -- both are kind of frail lefties, although Sale has less effort in his delivery. I don't think Barnes will last as a starter in the major leagues for very long. I think Barnes is best suited for the bullpen, a role in which I believe he can provide a lot of value to the Indians in the coming years (including 2012).
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm going more off talent than their build/deliveries. I just like Barnes as a starter better. Think he'd have more success there than Kluber. You are probably right on Barnes having trouble holding up long-term as a starter (though has ideal height, could still add some bulk IMO). I just don't think Kluber is ever going to make it even as a #5 starter in the bigs. Would love it if he did though, but think his stuff will play better in the bullpen. Scouts have said this about him for a while too.

As you pointed out too, he is still walking too many...we've seen a move to the pen help with that in the past (Hags is one that comes to mind right away).

At the end of the day both Barnes and Kluber probably end up in the pen. I'll admit I may be a bit bias towards Barnes staying in the rotation though as I've been a big fan of his since he was a highly touted prospect in the Giants system.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby tribefollower » Sat May 12, 2012 10:40 am

30 ... # of games Jared Goedert has played
30 ... # of games Goedert has reached base

List of ALL Minor or Major League players to reach base in 30 or more consecutive games this year:

Jared Goedert
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon May 21, 2012 9:10 pm

LaPorta hit by pitch in both plate appearances tonight. Then leaves the game. Injured? Called up? Of course when Clippers then hit Jack Cust our guy gets the heave-ho…
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby danh8 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:21 am

Found it interesting to see Cole Cook making a relief appearance with the Clippers this evening. Any information to go along with this jump up through the ranks ?
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Clippers got rocked yesterday but Goedert went deep and just keeps on hitting.

Also very good to see (IMO) was Jason Donald starting in CF. Not sure how he looked (anyone see/hear?), but still think he would be more useful to the big league club if he could backup in the OF as well as the infield.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Grand Slam for Goedert today in his 3rd AB!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Tonight Syracuse IBB's Laporta with a man on 3rd and two down to face Goedert....... and Goedert promptly hits a 3-run HR.

That's 4 straight with a bomb for Goedert.... with the big league club hurting it might be time to give Goedert a shot and try and ride the hot hand.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:17 pm

For anyone watching Columbus play in person... is Goedert still hitting "mistake" pitches that he won't see in the bigs? That was the big caveat when he was performing big in 2010 if I remember correctly.

Also, it seems that righties are just putting up titanic numbers in Columbus this year. That might explain why Goedert and LaPorta are hitting out of their minds, but if that's true it also is a wet blanket on the likes of Huffman and Canzler. I don't really see the point in all four of those guys being around right now. I mean, even if LaPorta and Goedert get called up, are we really going to have a need for either one of the other guys? I think I would honestly rather have Crowe, Carerra or Mills getting a shot if we have even more injuries at that point. At least Crowe and Carerra would bring some decent OF defense.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Chiefroy » Sun May 27, 2012 12:19 am

Edible14 wrote:For anyone watching Columbus play in person... is Goedert still hitting "mistake" pitches that he won't see in the bigs? That was the big caveat when he was performing big in 2010 if I remember correctly.

Also, it seems that righties are just putting up titanic numbers in Columbus this year. That might explain why Goedert and LaPorta are hitting out of their minds, but if that's true it also is a wet blanket on the likes of Huffman and Canzler. I don't really see the point in all four of those guys being around right now. I mean, even if LaPorta and Goedert get called up, are we really going to have a need for either one of the other guys? I think I would honestly rather have Crowe, Carerra or Mills getting a shot if we have even more injuries at that point. At least Crowe and Carerra would bring some decent OF defense.



if my fantasy pitching staffs are any indication, there appears to be a lot of "mistake" pitches in the major leagues also this week. Or maybe my pitchers just suck. Anyway, keep an eye on Canzler...he's heating up too.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun May 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Agreed on Chad Huffman... not sure why he's still in the organization. This is his fourth year at the AAA level and even has a little major league experience. At this point he should be able to fill the role as the first guy to fill in when Cleveland has an injury, but instead it seems he's likely 4th or 5th in line.

Ezequiel Carrera has become a complete disaster. He made way too many boneheaded mistakes during his time in Cleveland last year, and it's only gotten worse this season in Columbus. He's just 6-of-10 on stolen base attempts, has struck out 3 times more often than he's walked, and Gregorio Petit is putting up a better fielding percentage at shortstop than Carrera is in center field. He looks closer to being a 40-man roster casualty than MLB depth to me.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby danh8 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Carreras has been disappointing in terms of his defense. I was of the opinion he was a plus centerfielder, but what I saw was a guy that played WAY TOO DEEP in center allowing many balls to drop in front of him, along with poor decisions and delayed breaks on balls. Figured he was incomplete offensively like everybody that we develop in system.. But his supposed strengths were far from what was advertised, IMHO.
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Agreed on Chad Huffman... not sure why he's still in the organization. This is his fourth year at the AAA level and even has a little major league experience. At this point he should be able to fill the role as the first guy to fill in when Cleveland has an injury, but instead it seems he's likely 4th or 5th in line.

Ezequiel Carrera has become a complete disaster. He made way too many boneheaded mistakes during his time in Cleveland last year, and it's only gotten worse this season in Columbus. He's just 6-of-10 on stolen base attempts, has struck out 3 times more often than he's walked, and Gregorio Petit is putting up a better fielding percentage at shortstop than Carrera is in center field. He looks closer to being a 40-man roster casualty than MLB depth to me.


Yeah. Huffman seems to me to be "Right-handed corner utility guy that likely is a AAAA player" #5 right now. Not sure I see the use.

Sad to hear about Zeke (though I'll disagree with the use of fielding percentage as a stat - Zeke's big tool is supposed to be his speed/range, so it actually would make sense to me that he'd make more errors on balls that other fielders wouldn't even be able to get to). Him, Neal and Weglarz have all been a sore disappointment in the last year or so. I figured at least one of them would turn into a decent option as a fourth outfielder, but instead they're getting jumped by Russ Canzler and Jared Goedert.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 am

Sure, fielding percentage is a seriously flawed stat, but .949 in center field definitely says something. That's a percentage you'd expect to see from a poor shortstop or third baseman, it's not a number you should ever see in center field. He'd have to drastically improve just to be considered bad. He reminds me a bit of Choo in that they both have the physical talent to be very good outfielders, but they're not much more than DH's between the ears.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 pm

What a night for Jared Goedert so far!

First 4 ABs...... 2-run single, 3-run HR, double, 3-run HR!!!!

4-for-4, 2B, 2 HR, 8RBI!!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 pm

The weird thing for Jared right now is that his chances at promotion are hindered by Matt LaPorta regardless of whether LaPorta fails or not.

If LaPorta succeeds, then obviously Geodert is blocked and won't have a real role on the team, even if Duncan is let go. On the other hand, if LaPorta continues to look awful just as before, then that puts a significant caveat on Goedert's performance. Duncan, LaPorta and Goedert are all roughly the same type of player right now. Corner utility guys who hit for some power, are right handed, have limited defensive capabilities, and have serious questions about their swings translating to the big league level. And as bad as Duncan has been, it's arguable that he's still the best choice right now. Because at least he has some history of big league success as a hitter. I'm still curious to see what the scouts think on him translating to the big league level.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby tribefollower » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:04 am

Edible14 wrote:The weird thing for Jared right now is that his chances at promotion are hindered by Matt LaPorta regardless of whether LaPorta fails or not.

If LaPorta succeeds, then obviously Geodert is blocked and won't have a real role on the team, even if Duncan is let go. On the other hand, if LaPorta continues to look awful just as before, then that puts a significant caveat on Goedert's performance. Duncan, LaPorta and Goedert are all roughly the same type of player right now. Corner utility guys who hit for some power, are right handed, have limited defensive capabilities, and have serious questions about their swings translating to the big league level. And as bad as Duncan has been, it's arguable that he's still the best choice right now. Because at least he has some history of big league success as a hitter. I'm still curious to see what the scouts think on him translating to the big league level.


Good comparison on Laporta, Duncan and Goedert. Assuming the Indians are looking for a corner utility guy, I think these guys are competing in the same bucket of possibilities. It just becomes a question of what kind of experience -- or maybe risk tolerance - the Indians are looking for. The Indians overall have some pretty young guys, and the presence of someone like Damon helps as does someone like Duncan perhaps. The Indians have a few years invested in LaPorta as well, but likely have not seen the big results in Cleveland they were hoping for. Even with Duncan and LaPorta underperforming, the other option Goedert is still untested at the Major League level -- so there are the unknowns that come with that. However, I would have to disagree about the caveat on Goedert's performace if LaPorta flops because that same caveat would have to be put on Kipnis, Chisenhall, even Duncan, or anyone who has played in Columbus, or AAA I guess. And as far as the Indians guys just mentioned -- all of whom have played with Goedert in the minors -- I don't recall any of them having better numbers offensively than Goedert while they were playing together. It is just a matter of how much risk the Indians are willing to take.
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 pm

One thing Goedert does provide over the other two is he can play 3B if needed. He's a better "utility" fit in that sense IMO. Not a guy you want starting everyday at 3B but considering Marson is our emergency 3B now according to Acta, wouldn't be a bad bench guy. Even if Duncan lasts all year with the Tribe, he'll be Arby eligible and I can't see the Tribe not non-tendering him. Just not worth the extra money in arby. Would like to see a guy like Goedert get a crack at his job then...we'll see..

Tribe did give Jered Head a shot last year, albeit a brief one. Would like to see Geodert be rewarded with something similar at the very least.


Let's not forget about Canzler too...he too gives you some 3B flexibility (even if terrible there). At least on the 40-man too and is yet another RH utility option to go with Duncan, Goedert, and LaPorta (though he's more a starter still).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Let's not forget about Canzler too...he too gives you some 3B flexibility (even if terrible there). At least on the 40-man too and is yet another RH utility option to go with Duncan, Goedert, and LaPorta (though he's more a starter still).


I agree that Canzler is a similar option, but I think that given his performance to date, he'd have to rank behind the rest of them, right? Not sure the Indians need another 3B option really, as Donald, Lopez and Chiz all would likely get a shot before either Goedert or Canzler. I think if Russ Canzler is playing 3B for Cleveland this year, then something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Incidentally, interesting to see Donald playing 3B in Columbus. Seems to me that if they want him to be an option in the outfield, he should be getting some more time there instead of playing 3B where Chiz, Hannahan and Lopez are likely to be getting just about all of the time up in Cleveland. I wonder if the "Donald to the OF" experiment is coming to a close now.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Let's not forget about Canzler too...he too gives you some 3B flexibility (even if terrible there). At least on the 40-man too and is yet another RH utility option to go with Duncan, Goedert, and LaPorta (though he's more a starter still).


I agree that Canzler is a similar option, but I think that given his performance to date, he'd have to rank behind the rest of them, right? Not sure the Indians need another 3B option really, as Donald, Lopez and Chiz all would likely get a shot before either Goedert or Canzler. I think if Russ Canzler is playing 3B for Cleveland this year, then something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Incidentally, interesting to see Donald playing 3B in Columbus. Seems to me that if they want him to be an option in the outfield, he should be getting some more time there instead of playing 3B where Chiz, Hannahan and Lopez are likely to be getting just about all of the time up in Cleveland. I wonder if the "Donald to the OF" experiment is coming to a close now.


I would think Canzler would actually be ahead of Goedert. Tribe seemed high on him when they got him and he's on the 40-man unlike Goedert. Tribe had an open 40-spot but used it to claim another arm.

I don't think Donald playing 3B has as much to do with closing the OF experiment but more to do with Lopez and Hanny both being banged up. Never know though I guess.

I agree on Canzler (or Goedert) playing 3B means something bad went wrong....then again the only way we were going to see Valbuena in the OF last year was if something bad happened...and it did. Same with Donald earlier this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 pm

To make room for Scott Barnes on the Columbus roster the Indians have released Hector Ambriz.

Hope Ambriz gets back to the bigs somewhere.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:22 pm

After the injuries, player movement, etc, can anyone spell out the rotation order for Columbus at this point??
It would be interesting to see who 'matches' with the various spots of the Tribe rotation as now arranged (Masterson, Jiminez, McAllister, Lowe, Tomlin).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:14 am

Never considered Fedroff much of a spec because he just doesn't offer power or speed, but I'm officially on his bandwagon now and hope we see him in a Tribe uniform as soon as this season...his OBP the last 2 years is just too good to overlook and he deserves a chance as a backup OF over Cunningham

Any infos on his play in the OF?

That said, I guess we see Rottino first...and maybe when the season's lost Fedroff in September
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Word is the Indians have granted Chris Ray his release. I have to guess that he has a line on another opportunity.
From the Tribe perspective, I wonder how the spot will be filled - injury rehab, moving someone up from Akron, or a wire pickup???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Official 2012 Columbus Clippers thread

Postby Edible14 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Word is the Indians have granted Chris Ray his release. I have to guess that he has a line on another opportunity.
From the Tribe perspective, I wonder how the spot will be filled - injury rehab, moving someone up from Akron, or a wire pickup???


For now, it's Hagadone being sent down. Not a huge deal, since Ray was probably the last reliever in Columbus in line for a call up.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest