RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Prospect rankings 2012-2013

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Prospect rankings 2012-2013

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Guess it's time to get this thread out there and rolling......

For those interested J. Mayo has updated his Tribe prospect listing to reflect the end of the minor league season. It can be found on the Indians.com website.

The list goes 20 players deep and I'm sure many will dispute the placement/ inclusion/ absence of certain players.
Suffice it to say that Lindor and Paulino are 1 and 2. In fact 4 of the top 5 are listed as shortstops, only Barnes separates them at the 4 slot. Naquin is listed as the highest OF (at 6) & Aguilar is listed at 11.

I was surprised by the absence of a few names- namely Giovanni Soto, Jordan Smith and Bryson Myles.

It will be interesting to see what the various other lists suggest.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Prospect rankings 2012-2013

Postby go_tribe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 am

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. Myles
4. Barnes
5. R. Rodriguez
6. Aguilar
7. Soto
8. L. Rodriguez
9. Wolters
10. Howard

The lack of pitching is scary
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby artgold » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 pm

1 - Paulino
2 - Lindor
3 - Barnes
4 - Aguilar
5 - R Rodriguez
6 - Wolters
7 - Howard
8 - Brown
9 - Monsalve
10 - Naquin
11 - Washington
12 - J Martinez
13 - J Smith
14 - L Rodriguez
15 - Sisco
16 - Lovegrove
18 - McClure
19 - House
20 - J Ramirez/Fedroff
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:38 am

artgold wrote:1 - Paulino
2 - Lindor
3 - Barnes
4 - Aguilar
5 - R Rodriguez
6 - Wolters
7 - Howard
8 - Brown
9 - Monsalve
10 - Naquin
11 - Washington
12 - J Martinez
13 - J Smith
14 - L Rodriguez
15 - Sisco
16 - Lovegrove
18 - McClure
19 - House
20 - J Ramirez/Fedroff

Good list IMO,definitely have a different opinion on a couple of guys. For example Monsalve is lower in my eyes..But i love how u had the guts to rank Paulino #1. I believe this is correct (will put up my own list soon)... This is not to slight Lindor who did not have an exceptional year but it is obvious to me Paulino has the potential to be an elite amongst the elite at the plate, especially if he can stick at SS.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:09 am

2 - Lindor
3 - Barnes
4 - Aguilar
5 - R Rodriguez
6 - Wolters
7 - Howard
8 - Brown
9 - Monsalve
10 - Naquin
11 - Washington
12 - J Martinez
13 - J Smith
14 - L Rodriguez
15 - Sisco
16 - Lovegrove
18 - McClure
19 - House
20 - J Ramirez/Fedroff

Okay, all the posters on this thread know that there is a lot of names that can/may be listed.. and opinions vary..This is a very young list.. A couple of 'perhaps' salient observations:

-Tyler Naquin being listed 10th says the bloom or 'hype' around him as a prospect has worn off or you aren't buying into it..
-Dorssys Paulino is the goods and you've rated him appropriately..
-WHERE IS BRYSON MYLES on your list? -DITTO: Chun-chen -DITTO: Austin Adams -DITTO: Chen Lee
-Having three pitchers in your top ten prospects list is telling. "Usual" prospect listings are at least half and half. Are Felix Sterling and Elvis Araujo losing ground in their quest to become ML pitchers?
-Jose Ramirez needs more love.. that kid can play.. love his speed/switch hitting/soft hands.. He makes anyone that plays with him in the keystone combination better and he's only 19 years old...

Overall.. a pretty good listing.. This year's top prospect listing may have the widest disparity among the posters than at any time in the recent history of these forums..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
2 - Lindor
3 - Barnes
4 - Aguilar
5 - R Rodriguez
6 - Wolters
7 - Howard
8 - Brown
9 - Monsalve
10 - Naquin
11 - Washington
12 - J Martinez
13 - J Smith
14 - L Rodriguez
15 - Sisco
16 - Lovegrove
18 - McClure
19 - House
20 - J Ramirez/Fedroff

Okay, all the posters on this thread know that there is a lot of names that can/may be listed.. and opinions vary..This is a very young list.. A couple of 'perhaps' salient observations:

-Tyler Naquin being listed 10th says the bloom or 'hype' around him as a prospect has worn off or you aren't buying into it..
-Dorssys Paulino is the goods and you've rated him appropriately..
-WHERE IS BRYSON MYLES on your list? -DITTO: Chun-chen -DITTO: Austin Adams -DITTO: Chen Lee
-Having three pitchers in your top ten prospects list is telling. "Usual" prospect listings are at least half and half. Are Felix Sterling and Elvis Araujo losing ground in their quest to become ML pitchers?
-Jose Ramirez needs more love.. that kid can play.. love his speed/switch hitting/soft hands.. He makes anyone that plays with him in the keystone combination better and he's only 19 years old...

Overall.. a pretty good listing.. This year's top prospect listing may have the widest disparity among the posters than at any time in the recent history of these forums..

Correct about Naquin, I believe that a few years from now at best he'll be a Fedroff level prospect.

I don't see anything special about Bryson Myles at this point in time. At his age he was league appropriate, and his BB/K and power numbers were pretty modest. His stolen base rate was good, but he also was caught stealing quite a bit. His second half of the season was interesting, but it was really all just batting average, his power didn't increase at all.

I like Chun Chen's bat as a catcher, not so much as a 1st baseman. I don't see anything close to the type of power that would be expected from the position, and at his age I'd say the odds are likely he won't develop it sufficiently to be a legitimate prospect.

Austin Adams missed the season due to injury and is already 26 years old. Maybe his stuff plays out and he salvages a good career, but based on his height, hits to innings pitched ratio at Akron in 2011, and his significant increase in walk rate at Akron that year, I'd need to see more positive contributions to get on this list.

Sterling and Araujo are in my doubtful list at this time, neither had a good season nor showed improvement during the year. Though big and young, I'd need to see more progress numbers wise before I'd consider them again. Was a fan the past year, kind of lost interest in them at this time. Pitchers are funny though, can suddenly get it and become very good, so I'd keep an eye on them next year.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 am

artgold wrote:Correct about Naquin, I believe that a few years from now at best he'll be a Fedroff level prospect.

Offensively that might be a good comp for Naquin but not defensively. If Fedroff had Naquin's defensive abilities then he would be a better prospect. I didn't like the pick of TN but he's in the org now and I hope he succeeds. TN's prospect status will depend on his ability to play CF (although I still see him as a RF) and develop gap power.

BTW, I still see Lindor as #1 because of his Defense at a critical defensive position. While I do think Dorsys can stay at SS, he needs a lot of development there. Lindor is the closest to be ready and was very young for his league this year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

1. Lindor
2. Aguilar
3. R Rodriguez
4. Paulino
5. Washington
6. Jordan Smith
7. D Salazar
8. J Ramirez
9. Wolters
10. Lugo
11. Brown
12. Santander
13. D Baker
14. Lovegrove
15. Naquin
16. Hamrick
17. Fedroff
18. Greenwell
19. Myles
20. Radeke
21. Haase
22. Monsalve
23. Rondon
24. L DeJesus
25. Richard Stock/Jeremy Lucas catching platoon

Left off all of the relievers: Langwell, Sturdevant, Armstrong, Haley, Guilmet, Johnson, Sides, Encarnacion, Jacob Lee(?). Left off the Gios, Soto & Urshela, although they're arguably better than some on the list.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Rocky, interesting that you don't see Barnes as a top 20, is it due to his being a lefty relief pitcher at this time?
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. R. Rodriguez
4. Naquin
5. Wolters
6. Brown
7. Barnes
8. Aguilar
9. Washington
10. Myles
11. Howard
12. L. Rodriguez
13. J. Martinez
14. Sisco
15. Monsalve
16. Smith
17. Lovegrove
18. McClure
19. House
20. J. Ramirez
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

artgold wrote:Rocky, interesting that you don't see Barnes as a top 20, is it due to his being a lefty relief pitcher at this time?

Yes. It's not that I don't value relievers, it's that they don't seem to have much prospect value. When they prove themselves in MLB, that's different.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
artgold wrote:Rocky, interesting that you don't see Barnes as a top 20, is it due to his being a lefty relief pitcher at this time?

Yes. It's not that I don't value relievers, it's that they don't seem to have much prospect value. When they prove themselves in MLB, that's different.

I can understand your logic there. I assumed he would be returning to the rotation, otherwise I likely would have dropped him about 5 spots.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

No love for Danny Salazar, Art?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am

Salazar is interesting, but he hasn't pitched enough innings the past three seasons for my own comfort. I have often found that as the innings pile up, the lack of durability is exposed. If he maintained his current performance, especially as Akron through 120 innings in a single season, I would likely have him around the 10 to 12 spot in the rankings.

Salazar's strong finish gives me some hope, but I want to see what happens with more innings
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 am

Yeah, he only had 6 starts and 34 innings after they brought him up to Akron, so I see your point on the lack of innings. Still, a 1.85 ERA at AA from a 22-year-old is definitely interesting.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:39 pm

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. Salazar
4. Aguilar
5. Brown
6. R. Rodriguez
7. Wolters
8. Barnes
9. Naquin
10. Jordan Smith
11. McClure
12. Urshela
13. CC Lee
14. Jose Ramirez
15. DeJesus
16. Washington
17. Howard
18. L. Rodriguez
19. Myles
20. Soto
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I have to say, regarding Jorge Martinez, that I saw him twice playing third for Mahoning Valley. He looked horrible both games. Small sample size and all, but jeez, he was scary-bad....
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 am

Just an FYI to all but the Baseball America listing of top 20 prospects for the AAA IL was posted on oct 11.
3 Tribe farmhands made the listing:
12. Cory Kluber
13. Cody Allen
16. Zach McAllister

I know many of us felt there was limited help in Columbus for the Tribe during 2012 but this listing would seem to indicate that there is something to lend some assistance. Only Columbus and Buffalo (mets) had 3 players listed. Other clubs were with 2 or fewer players listed.

Btw: old tribe farmhand Chris Archer made the listing at #3 for Durham (rays).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 am

The over indulgence of fans to a prospect list continues onward and upward.. The author of the 'list' always has a bias.. e.g. relievers are significantly under valued as prospects, yet the teams with the BEST bullpens seem to end up playing late in October every year.. So, that said..when a "top 100" or "best horse" or "Prospects by # of Stars" or some other non-uniform measure is applied, we self indulgent baseball fans form an opinion.. There is one hard fast rule that I find to be of particular value when it comes to evaluating a prospect: If you see him play..you'll know.. Read 'scouting reports' of velocities and 20/80 valuations aren't completely worthless.. but they do pale in comparison to actually watching a prospect perform, perhaps, many times..

That said, there is the "FanGraphs" Top Prospect by position and some comments:

Catchers
1. Jesus Montero: Excellent first season in Seattle, provided he didn't catch..Defensively, he's lost..
2. Devin Mesoraco: Didn't make a splash with the Reds, but did 'just okay'
3. Travis d’Arnaud: Injured at the start of 2012 and another injury to prematurely end his 2012..we'll see
4. Yasmani Grandal: The best catcher of the group.. became the starter in SD and will remain so
5. Derek Norris: Elevated from AA and led the A's pitching staff to the AL West title.. Great understanding of the game..

The catchers offer a microcosm of the "prospect" listing.. The # 4 prospect, was the best.. If you were to guess, # 3 will surpass him in the 2013 season.. The top two guys?.. well, they're prospects all right.. not deserving, after the fact, of their higher ratings...

First Basemen
1. Yonder Alonso: Had a very good start to his career, but, nothing special..
2. Anthony Rizzo: Best 1B prospect..easily
3. Jonathan Singleton: Never made it out of AA
4. Chris Carter: Became the starter for the A's..had his moments and troubles..

Second Basemen
1. Eddie Rosario: who?

Third Basemen
1. Anthony Rendon: Minor leaguers, still
2. Nolan Arenado: ditto
3. Miguel Sano: all potential, no substance..
4. Nick Castellanos: Has a chance, but hasn't proven squat..
5. Will Middlebrooks: Played like a veteran when given the chance.. allowed the Red Sox to trade Youkilis..

So, just flip the ratings upside down and you have the 'actual' prospect results..

Shortstops
1. Jurickson Profar: Limited sampling, but this kid is the goods
2. Manny Machado: bigger sampling, but this kid is more than the goods..
10. Andrelton Simmons: Biggest sampling and has the glove and mentality to play in MLB for 15 years..

The 7 guys rated higher than Simmons, don't matter now.. None of them can carry these three guys jock straps right now..

Outfielders
1. Bryce Harper: Outstanding..
2. Mike Trout: More than OUTSTANDING

The rest of the so called OF prospects.. don't matter.. none contributed at the ML level, but might..

Right-Handed Starters
11. Jarrod Parker
20. Nate Eovaldi
28. Jake Odorizzi
31. Chris Archer

The actual numbers listed to the right show that the "top ten prospects" pitched not at all from the minors to MLB in 2012. It's clear that prospect lists, for pitchers, are a "hit and hope" listing

Left-Handed Starters
1. Matt Moore
7. Drew Pomeranz

LOOK !! two SP's that actually pitched to their prospect status.. even though both had what might be considered mediocre to very poor seasons...

In summary, having the # 12, # 13 and # 16 prospects in the IL, all pitchers, says that the guys making the list didn't know what they were looking at as it relates to these guys moving forward and up to the next level. The best example of this is Corey Kluber. I'd take Kluber & his abilities, right now, over all but Matt Moore and Jarrod Parker of the thirty eight starting pitchers that would be "ahead" of him on the FanGraphs prospect listing for the 2013 season...(it might be a bit of an exaggeration, but, there's some truth in there)

What say you?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The author of the 'list' always has a bias.. e.g. relievers are significantly under valued as prospects, yet the teams with the BEST bullpens seem to end up playing late in October every year..

The game has certainly changed to where a good BP (7-9 innings) certainly can mask rotation problems (or more accurately make up for rotation issues). Think about how back in the 70's-90's getting into an opponents BP was significant. Now it is only significant if you get into it b4 the 7th inning. That is one reason why we were in contention at the end of July. We have lots of nice BP arms where guys can bare down and go maximum effort. We could see at 6-9th inning shutdown type BP if things progress. It's hard to rate relievers highly because lower IP/BF and just a few bad outings can skew an overall good performance (for a season).

Sorry for getting off topic.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:00 pm

BA released their winter rankings.. some surprises...

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. Naquin
4. Allen
5. Brown
6. Salazar
7. L. Rodriguez
8. R. Rodriguez
9. Aguilar
10. Lee

No Wolters.

Also a few things worth noting...
Best Hitter for Average Dorssys Paulino
Best Power Hitter Jesus Aguilar
Best Strike Zone Discipline Francisco Lindor
Fastest Baserunner Luigi Rodriguez
Best Athlete D'vone McClure
Best Fastball Trey Haley
Best Curveball Cody Allen
Best Slider Shawn Armstrong
Best Changeup Danny Salazar
Best Control T.J. McFarland
Best Defensive Catcher Roberto Perez
Best Defensive Infielder Francisco Lindor
Best Infield Arm Giovanny Urshela
Best Defensive OF Tyler Holt
Best Outfield Arm Tyler Naquin

PROJECTED 2016 LINEUP
Catcher Carlos Santana
First Base Lonnie Chisenhall
Second Base Asdrubal Cabrera
Third Base Dorssys Paulino
Shortstop Francisco Lindor
Left Field Jason Kipnis
Center Field Michael Brantley
Right Field Tyler Naquin
Designated Hitter Shin-Soo Choo
No. 1 Starter Justin Masterson
No. 2 Starter Carlos Carrasco
No. 3 Starter Ubaldo Jimenez
No. 4 Starter Zach McAllister
No. 5 Starter Mitch Brown
Closer Cody Allen
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:08 pm

A.Zajac wrote:BA released their winter rankings.. some surprises...

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. Naquin
4. Allen
5. Brown
6. Salazar
7. L. Rodriguez
8. R. Rodriguez
9. Aguilar
10. Lee

No Wolters.

Best Fastball Trey Haley

PROJECTED 2016 LINEUP
Catcher Carlos Santana
Left Field Jason Kipnis
Right Field Tyler Naquin
Closer Cody Allen

Not the biggest Wolters fan as most know, but not a fan of Lee or even Allen over him. Feel like relievers always get overrated by BA though so not a big surprised IMO.

Think Cabrera moving to 2B in 2016 is very possible....just not with the Indians. Wish BA would avoid using guys that are free agents when you're talking about a team like Cleveland. But o well. I think Kipnis could move to LF but why move Choo to DH? Naquin in LF and Choo in RF (not that Choo will be around either) would be much better IMO. And Ubaldo as our #3 in 2016? Must not think much of the pitchers in our system...

Fun to look at those future lineup projections though especially when you look at a book from 4 years ago that shows the 2012 or 2013 lineups. I feel like they had Jhonny Peralta at 2B in one of their lineup projections.

One thing I woiud take away from that 2016 lineup is Cody Allen as the closer....to me that says they like him better than Pestano, which I find kinda interesting personally.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Did a middle relief prospect that had Tommy John within the last half year seriously make Cleveland's top 10 prospect list? Wow. That's prettty bad. Shows how little BA thinks of the system.

The day Tony Wolters signed a contract with the Indians, I complained how he was vastly overpaid (easily 2x what he was worth), but he had a nice 2nd half last year. Still don't think he's a good prospect, but 8 HR last year was more pop than I thought he had in that little swing of his. He should have probably cracked the top 10 over Lee.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Did a middle relief prospect that had Tommy John within the last half year seriously make Cleveland's top 10 prospect list? Wow. That's prettty bad. Shows how little BA thinks of the system.

The day Tony Wolters signed a contract with the Indians, I complained how he was vastly overpaid (easily 2x what he was worth), but he had a nice 2nd half last year. Still don't think he's a good prospect, but 8 HR last year was more pop than I thought he had in that little swing of his. He should have probably cracked the top 10 over Lee.

Should be noted that BA ranked Nick Hagadone as the 3rd best prospect in the Red Sox system prior to 2009 when he blew out his elbow after 10 innings in 2008 and had TJ surgery. They also ranked that Red Sox system as the 13th best in baseball that year. Could argue they liked him as a starter still at that point though I guess. Not saying that this means BA likes the Tribe system but them putting a guy like Lee 10th doesn't really mean much. They just overvalue relievers IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 pm

A.Zajac wrote:BA released their winter rankings.. some surprises...

1. Lindor
2. Paulino
3. Naquin
4. Allen
5. Brown
6. Salazar
7. L. Rodriguez
8. R. Rodriguez
9. Aguilar
10. Lee

No Wolters.

Best Fastball Trey Haley

PROJECTED 2016 LINEUP
Catcher Carlos Santana
Left Field Jason Kipnis
Right Field Tyler Naquin
Closer Cody Allen

Saw a link for this on Facebook. Was surprised, usually don't get to the Tribe before January. It's lists like these that made me give up my sub to BA. Why do they bother with those projected lineups? Is it really their collective considered opinion that Choo, Asdrubal, Masterson, & Ubaldo will be with the org in '16? As far as the rankings go, Allen's a ML player, Lee's ordinary, & Luigi is very raw & K's too much.

In the write up they make Lonnie sound like a bust using combined stats from a callup as a 22 yr old & the first 1/4 of a season at 23. Personally think he'll hit as good as Kip once he settles in.

Big Wolters fan too, was happy when we drafted him & happy when we signed him. Unlike OB, although I can see his point, I don't care what they pay these guys. It will change with the new draft rules so it might not be a issue going forward. If the Brad Grant crew likes a guy & feels strongly about drafting him, I want them to sign him. I realize that he probably won't be an All-Star. I could see him getting the winning hit in the WS though. It's usually a guy like that.

Naquin at 3 is typical BA stuff, so it's no use complaining. I'd bet nobody on this board puts him that high. They downgrade Chiz but at Naquin's age Chiz was in Akron tearing up AA. Naquin put up a .379 SP at Mahoning Valley.

They also must disregard TJ House's resurgence this year, at least with the projectd '16 lineup & no mention in the writeup.

On the best tools thing: Is Luigi really faster than Delvi Cid & Jordan Henry? Is Holt really a better defender than those two? Is Naquin's arm really better than Moncrief's? What makes McClure a better athlete than Bryson Myles?

I guess you could say that these are just (not very informed) opinions. Can't wait to see how Sickels' list contrasts with this one. You might not agree with Sickels but at least you know he puts in the work.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I guess you could say that these are just (not very informed) opinions. Can't wait to see how Sickels' list contrasts with this one. You might not agree with Sickels but at least you know he puts in the work.

And Goldstein. Personally like him more than BA too. Twins just got released today so the Tribe is up next I belive. Probably early next week (maybe Monday?) we should see their top 10 (only doing a top 10 this year and not top 20).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm

I agree with Rocky...I know that Sickels puts in the work. But with BA and Goldstein, they literally peruse the prospects and do all their research the week before (sometimes days before) their list is due for publishing. I just don't see how anyone can get the full context of a prospect when they are not really following them or watching them or talking about them all year.

By the way, anyone see BA's article on the Indians drafts today? Flat out ripoff job of Jeff's piece on the site we posted Sunday. Right down to charting the drafts with WAR and everything.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 am

Tony, I wonder where they got the inspiration for that one...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 pm

That’s just not true about Goldstein. He constantly is in communication with scouts getting information about players. He’s friends with many scouts and bugs them frequently about prospects. I live near him and I’ve seen him out at the park – he was one of the more well-connected guys in the internet publishing business. No surprise he got the job he did. I'm not so sure he's a great talent evaluator, but he's sharp and works hard.

I can't say the same for BA. The quality of their work has really diminished over the years. It's a tough business -- they just haven't been able to retain writers.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Some of the quotes in that BA article pretty much reiterate my frustration with this organization. The article completely rips the organization, and rightly so, but Antonetti comes out and says, "I think when you look at the portfolio of trades that we've made, we feel comfortable with the returns we've gotten." He goes on to say, "I think organizationally we've done a good job when we've made (trade) decisions". I sincerely hope he doesn't actually believe that.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Some of the quotes in that BA article pretty much reiterate my frustration with this organization. The article completely rips the organization, and rightly so, but Antonetti comes out and says, "I think when you look at the portfolio of trades that we've made, we feel comfortable with the returns we've gotten." He goes on to say, "I think organizationally we've done a good job when we've made (trade) decisions". I sincerely hope he doesn't actually believe that.

Call me crazy (it's ok, I don't mind), but I tend to agree with Antonetti here on trades. Sure there have been some where you sit back and say, "damn that didn't work", but there have been several that have been the opposite. Would have liked to have gotten more for Cliff Lee and would have liked to have gotten more from Ubaldo (or waited and dealt for Gio), but getting guys like Santana for Blake, Choo for Broussard, Cabrera for Eduardo, McAllister for Kearns, etc tend to make up (at least IMO) for some of the less than stellar trades. I'd even say the Victor deal was very solid as we got at worst a #3 in Masterson plus a high-upside arm in Hags who could still turn things around (and Price isn't a bum either).

No team will be perfect on trades. I think saying the team is "comfortable" with the returns is a fair assessment when you consider all the deals. Think saying they did a "good" job is also reasonable. Had he said great job I'd agree, as there have been several misses that can't be ignored like the Lee and Ubaldo deal (and lesser extent the CC deal). I guess "good" may have been a tad optimistic and maybe saying they've done a "fair" job in trade decisions would have been more accurate overall. Would have loved to have seen the Tribe hit on more deals but think that is one area the organization has done pretty well over the last decade or so, but that's just my opinion. I do think Antonetti's deals have been less than stellar though...think this offseason may be the most important in recent memory and trades will play a big part in that....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm

I think that as a pool of players the guys we got back aren't bad, it's just that our best trade chips didn't bring back perceived value. I know it's dumb but I'd bet if we had gotten Santana for CC & Brantley for Blake there would be a lot fewer complaints. It's human nature.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I think that as a pool of players the guys we got back aren't bad, it's just that our best trade chips didn't bring back perceived value. I know it's dumb but I'd bet if we had gotten Santana for CC & Brantley for Blake there would be a lot fewer complaints. It's human nature.

Agree completely with this.

I think it's also along the lines of the sentiment of when you win it never feels as good as it how bad if feels when you lose. The Lee, CC, and Ubaldo deals get panned more than deals like the Santana, Choo, and Cabrera deal get praised...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:That’s just not true about Goldstein. He constantly is in communication with scouts getting information about players. He’s friends with many scouts and bugs them frequently about prospects. I live near him and I’ve seen him out at the park – he was one of the more well-connected guys in the internet publishing business. No surprise he got the job he did. I'm not so sure he's a great talent evaluator, but he's sharp and works hard.

Oh, I completely agree. Not debating that whatosever. Kevin is to me one of the best in the business. I was simply stating that when he puts his list together for each team's Top 11 or whatever for Future Shock, he typically does not really write or evaluate it until a few days before doing it.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Baseball Prospectus has a REALLY interesting list....

SS Francisco Lindor
2B/3B Dorssys Paulino
2B Ronny Rodriguez
RHP Mitch Brown
CF Luigi Rodriguez
RHP Danny Salazar
RHP Cody Allen
OF Tyler Naquin
IF Tony Wolters
2B Jose Ramirez

Notes in the "comments" section that, "Urshela has some defensive potential and a lot of arm strength, but there was zero confidence in the bat playing. On Aguilar, its a bad profile. He has pop, but its a long, slow swing, and the approach is positively awful. He's not a big leaguer for me."
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Baseball Prospectus has a REALLY interesting list....

SS Francisco Lindor
2B/3B Dorssys Paulino
2B Ronny Rodriguez
RHP Mitch Brown
CF Luigi Rodriguez
RHP Danny Salazar
RHP Cody Allen
OF Tyler Naquin
IF Tony Wolters
2B Jose Ramirez

Notes in the "comments" section that, "Urshela has some defensive potential and a lot of arm strength, but there was zero confidence in the bat playing. On Aguilar, its a bad profile. He has pop, but its a long, slow swing, and the approach is positively awful. He's not a big leaguer for me."

Couple other things mentioned by BP...

The listed their top 3 prospects on the rise:

1. Dillon Howard - RHP. They like him still and think a healthy Howard is a top 5 in this system. Only like him as a potential #3 though in the bigs at this point.

2. Anthony Santander - LF. They really like his bat potential even if he's only a corner outfielder. Think he could be a top 10 if he has another good offensive showing.

3. Dylan Baker - RHP. Really like the Fastball-Curve combo right now and think there's enough potential in the change to be a solid middle of the rotation guy. Think if the change doesn't develop could be a dynamite middle releiver/setup guy with the fastball/change combo.

Also listed top 3 prospects that could help the big league club in 2013:

1. Scott Barnes - LHP. Only talked of him as a bullpen option though did seem to like his change (making him a 3-pitch back-end reliever).

2. Trey Haley - RHP. Essentially writes him off as a starter but thinks he could be a special reliever with that curve (which they too call the best in the system).

3. Shawn Armstrong - RHP. Another guy they like in the pen as they think he'll keep missing bats.

Also they listed their top 10 under 25 (which I always find a bit interesting):

1. Francisco Lindor
2. Jason Kipnis
3. Michael Brantley

4. Dorsyss Paulino
5. Zach McAllister
6. Ronny Rodriguez
7. Lonnie Chisenhall
8. Mitch Brown
9. Luigi Rodriguez
10. Danny Salazar

Brantley ahead of Paulino is very interesting IMO. BP says this is a 2-man system of sorts as they really like both Lindor and Paulino but feel there's a big drop after that. They like Paulino as a first division player down the line, so putting Brantley ahead of him says they really like his potential to grow still. Think Chisenhall behind McAllister is interesting, though I know BP was one of the few that was never super high on Chiz (they had Kipnis ahead of him in their rankings 2 years ago).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Should be a new category:

Prospect who could make the ratings guys look stupidest for underrating/ignoring him:

LeVon Washington. Still only 21 & one healthy year from being back in the top 3-5 guys in the system.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Should be a new category:

Prospect who could make the ratings guys look stupidest for underrating/ignoring him:

LeVon Washington. Still only 21 & one healthy year from being back in the top 3-5 guys in the system.

BP mentioned Washington in their comments (at least Parks did). Said "I am a believer in the sense that I recognize that he has raw tools. I've never seen those tools translate to on-the-diamond skills, though. I'm not a believer. He never looked like a baseball player to me. You can't learn feel."

Hopefully he can stay healthy this year though as I think he could still turn into something. Question is though will it be as an OFer or 2B...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Should be a new category:

BP mentioned Washington in their comments (at least Parks did). Said "I am a believer in the sense that I recognize that he has raw tools. I've never seen those tools translate to on-the-diamond skills, though. I'm not a believer. He never looked like a baseball player to me. You can't learn feel."

Hopefully he can stay healthy this year though as I think he could still turn into something. Question is though will it be as an OFer or 2B...

You can understand that, although vids I saw of him after we drafted him showed baseball skills, covered a lot of ground in the OF & especially good contact for a free swinger. You have to be concerned about the hip though, that's a tough injury to overcome. More physical talent than anyone in the system IMO. Hope we get lucky & he stays healthy.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:23 am

Rocky55 wrote:This is early this year:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/ ... s-for-2013

Five of the top nine on his list are middle infielders. There's a glaring lack of starting pitching and corner infielders and outfielders with power. No catchers, either.

We really need a couple of guys like Bauer, Mitchell Brown, Dillon Howard, and Trey Haley to emerge, or some dark horses like Austin Adams to shoot up like Cody Allen last year.

Any outfield power will have to come from free agency since our system features singles hitters like Tyler Nyquin and Jordan Smith as the top prospects.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Anyone want to revise their listing with the Tribe now having Bauer in the fold???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:This is early this year:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/ ... s-for-2013

Five of the top nine on his list are middle infielders. There's a glaring lack of starting pitching and corner infielders and outfielders with power. No catchers, either.

We really need a couple of guys like Bauer, Mitchell Brown, Dillon Howard, and Trey Haley to emerge, or some dark horses like Austin Adams to shoot up like Cody Allen last year.

Any outfield power will have to come from free agency since our system features singles hitters like Tyler Nyquin and Jordan Smith as the top prospects.

Sickels commented on Naquin, "Tyler Naquin, OF, Grade B-: Borderline C+. Saw him play for Texas A&M. Good swing, gets on base, nice line drive bat, very strong throwing arm, good glove, but I don't think he's going to show much power. If he can hit .300+ he can be a regular, if not he'll be a fourth outfielder." I still can't believe the Indians used the 15th overall pick on a guy that profiles like that. I hope Naquin can bat .300 and improve his walk rate; if not, it'll be an embarrassment for the organization. Guys a few months off being taken in the middle of the first round shouldn't even be *considered* as potential bench players so early. I hope I'm wrong, b/c watching my favorite team trade MLB talent for prospects to make up for failed draft picks is getting old.

On a more positive note, for a guy not ranked in the top 20 or mentioned in the "Others" section, I like Luis DeJesus. Listed at 6'3", 185 lbs, I was disappointed to see the tape of him b/c there's no real projection left (he's filled out, apparently). He doesn't have a good athletic pitcher's body, but he's strong and the delivery is just fine. He's got a good fastball with downward plane and tail, and he already has advanced command of the pitch. I don't think the breaking ball is that great but could be MLB average. Considering his fastball and the breaking ball, I'm really surprised his K totals were so low (80IP, 52 K) last year in the NYPL. I can see him doing well in Lake County next year and getting promoted to Carolina in-season.

Also, I think Tim Fedroff is undervalued. I always thought he profiled as a Brian Giles-type (pre-Pirates career). I think Fedroff stands a fair chance of being the kind of player Brian Giles was when he was with the Indians. I'd expect not as good as Giles was with the Indians (Giles showed more power, better BB/K numbers in the minors), but Fedroff's production is similar. Physically, tools-wise they are similar, too.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 am

Interesting notes about Trey Haley and the Arizona Fall League...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Sleeper for the rotation or back of the pen denizen.. not a bad situation, although, being a starter would be preferred..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Anyone want to revise their listing with the Tribe now having Bauer in the fold???

Sure, but I'd just slide Bauer in at #1 and drop all the others down one slot.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm

I wanted to add a few more sites and listings that I have come across in the last month or so (beyond the standard lists by Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, John Sickels & Jon Mayo).

Please note I am not advocating any of these sites/ lists as being on par or above the work done here by Tony or those previously named sources. I only post this info so we can review the opinions of others and see if there is an item we want to follow up or learn more about.

Motor City Bengals
http://motorcitybengals.com/2013/01/13/ ... d-indians/
MLB Farm System Rankings: #26 Cleveland Indians
by John Verburg Posted: 1/13/13
1. Lindor
2. Bauer
3. Paulino
4. Naquin
5. Mitch Brown
6. Ronny Rodriguez
7. Luigi Rodriguez
8. Jose Ramirez
9. Dillon Howard
10. Anthony Santander

BaseballNewsSource
http://baseballnewssource.com/prospects ... ist/14919/
By: Jeff Louderback Posted: January 12, 2013

1. Bauer
2. Lindor
3. Paulino
4. Ronny Rodriguez
5. Naquin
6. Mitch Brown
7. Wolters
8. Scott Barns
9. Luigi Rodriguez
10. Jose Ramirez

Rant Sports
http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2012/12/1 ... into-2013/
Top 10 Prospects for the Cleveland Indians Heading into 2013
by brianpalmer Posted 12/16/12

1 Trevor Bauer RHP
2 Francisco Lindor SS
3 Chen-Chang Lee RHP
4 Dillon Howard RHP
5 Austin Adams RHP
6 Jesus Aguilar 1B
7 TJ House LHP
8 Luigi Rodriguez OF
9 Trey Haley RHP
10 Shawn Armstrong RHP

More sites to follow......
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 am

Prospect Digest
http://www.prospectdigest.com/2012/12/0 ... prospects/
2013 Cleveland Indians Top Prospects
Posted December 2012

1 Trevor Bauer RHP
2 Francisco Lindor SS
3 Dorsyss Paulino SS
4 LeVon Washington OF
5 Luigi Rodriguez OF
6 Jesus Aguilar 1B
7 Giovanni Soto LHP
8 Tyler Naquin OF
9 Danny Salazar RHP
10 Tony Wolters 2B
11 Jose Ramirez 2B
12 Ronny Rodriguez SS
13 Chen-Chang Lee RHP
14 Mitch Brown RHP
15 Bryce Stowell RHP
16 Scott Barnes LHP
17 Anthony Santander OF
18 Chris McGuiness 1B
19 Thomas Neal OF
20 Geovanny Urshela 3B
21 Shawn Armstrong RHP
22 Cord Phelps 2B
23 Elvis Araujo LHP
24 Dillon Howard RHP
25 Felix Sterling RHP
26 Jake Lowery C
27 Jordan Smith OF
28 Chun-Hsiu Chen C/1B
29 Ordomar Valdez 2B
30 Kieran Lovegrove RHP
31 Mason Radeke RHP
32 Alex Monsalve C
33 T.J. House LHP

Prospect Pipeline (to Bleacher Report)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454 ... arm-system
Ranking the Top 10 Prospects in the Cleveland Indians' Farm System
By Mike Rosenbaum (MLB Prospects Lead Writer) on December 21, 201

1 Trevor Bauer RHP
2 Francisco Lindor SS
3 Dorsyss Paulino 2B/3B
4 Ronny Rodriguez SS
5 Mitch Brown RHP
6 Tyler Naquin OF
7 Danny Salazar RHP
8 Luigi Rodriguez OF
9 Cody Allen RHRP
10 Jose Ramirez 2B

Coast 2 Cost Prospects
http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/cle ... dians.html
Top 20 Prospects: Cleveland Indians
By J Sims & R. Boonfenbrenner
Date: ???

1. Francisco Lindor, SS, B+
2. Dillon Howard, RHP, B
3. Tyler Naquin, OF, B-
4. Mitch Brown, RHP, B-
5. Tony Wolters, SS, B-
6. Jake Sisco, RHP, C+
7. Luigi Rodriguez, OF, C+
8. Ronny Rodriguez, SS, C+
9. Dorssys Paulino, SS, C+
10. Jesus Aguilar, 1B, C+
11. Elvis Araujo, LHP, C+
12. Felix Sterling, RHP, C+
13. LeVon Washington, OF, C+
14. Chen Lee, RHP, C+
15. Chun Chen, C, C+
16. Austin Adams, RHP, C+
17. Jake Lowery, C, C+
18. Giovanni Soto, LHP, C+
19. Thomas Neal, OF, C+
20. Kieran Lovegrove, RHP, C+
21. Fabio Martinez Mesa, RHP, C+
21. Dylan Baker, RHP, C+
22. Nelson Rodriguez, C, C+
23. Lars Anderson, 1B, C+
23. Carlos Moncrief, OF, C+/C
24. D’vone McClure, OF, C+/C

Still more sites to follow
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 am

Baseball Prospect Nation
http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/ ... prospects/

2013 Cleveland Indians Top 15 Prospects
Posted on 21 December 2012 by Mark Anderson.

1. Francisco Lindor – SS (Last Year’s Rank: 1)
2. Trevor Bauer – RHP (NR)
3. Dorssys Paulino – SS (5)
4. Mitch Brown – RHP (NR)
5. Ronny Rodriguez – SS (NR)
6. Luigi Rodriguez – OF (NR)
7. Anthony Santander – OF (NR)
8. Tyler Naquin – OF (NR)
9. Danny Salazar – RHP (NR)
10. Dillon Howard – RHP (4)
11. Cody Allen – RHP (NR)
12. Scott Barnes – LHP (8)
13. Tony Wolters – IF (7)
14. Dylan Baker – RHP (NR)
15. Jorge Martinez – OF (NR)

MLB Prospect Portal
http://www.mlbprospectportal.com/2012/1 ... pects.html
(must have been from before Choo trade)

1 SS Francisco Lindor
2 SS Dorssys Paulino
3 OF Tyler Naquin
4 SS Ronny Rodriguez
5 RHP Mitch Brown
6 SS Tony Wolters
7 1B Jesus Aguilar
8 OF Luigi Rodriguez
9 RHP Danny Salazar
10 1B Mike McDade
11 RHP Cody Allen
12 RHP Dillon Howard
13 LHP Elvis Araujo
14 OF LeVon Washington
15 SS/2B Jose Ramirez
16 OF Anthony Santander
17 RHP Felix Sterling
18 SS Jorge Martinez
19 3B Giovanny Urshela
20 C/3B/LF Yan Gomes

Prospect 361*
http://prospect361.com/al-prospects/cleveland-indians/
Posted: ???? (Had to be before Choo trade)
Cleveland Indians
The pitching within the Cleveland system is weak with right-hander Mitch Brown being the only hurler to make the list.

1. Francisco Lindor (SS)
2. Ronny Rodriguez (SS)
3. Dorssys Paulino (SS)
4. Tyler Naquin (OF)
5. Tony Wolters (2B/SS)
6. Luigi Rodriguez (OF)
7. Jesus Aguilar (1B)
8. Mitch Brown (RHP)
9. LeVon Washington (OF)
10. Alex Monsalve (C)

A few more to go....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:43 am

Bullpen Banter
http://bullpenbanter.com/cleveland-indi ... prospects/

Cleveland Indians 2013 Top 15 Prospects
Written By Al Skorupa on 13th December, 2012

1 Francisco Lindor SS
2 Trevor Bauer RHP
3 Dorssys Paulino SS
4 Tyler Naquin OF
5 Luigi Rodriquez OF
6 Mitch Brown RHP
7 Ronny Rodriguez SS
8 Elvis Araujo LHP
9 Cody Allen RHP
10 Danny Salazar RHP
11 Dylan Baker RHP
12 Kieran Lovegrove RHP
13 Anthony Santander OF
14 Giovanny Ursehela 3B
15 Jorge Martinez 3B

Top Prospect Alert.com
http://topprospectalert.com/2012/12/11/ ... -rankings/

2013 Organizational Top 20 Prospect Rankings
December 11, 2012
By J.P. Schwartz @Jaypers413

1) Trevor Bauer
2) Francisco Lindor
3) Tyler Naquin
4) Dorssys Paulino
5) Jesus Aguilar
6) Ronny Rodriguez
7) Mitch Brown
8 ) Tony Wolters
9) Cody Allen
10) Elvis Araujo
11) Dillon Howard
12) Anthony Santander
13) Jorge Martinez
14) Luis Lugo
15) Danny Salazar
16) D’Vone McClure
17) Dylan Baker
18) Yan Gomes
19) Luis DeJesus
20) Scott Barnes
(a few of the names listed here had me scratching me head. I look forward to seeing Tony's comments. - MT88)

Razz Ball
http://razzball.com/2013-minor-league-p ... d-indians/

2013 Minor League Preview: Cleveland Indians
October 17, 2012 by: Scott Evans

1. Francisco Lindor, SS: ETA: 2015
2. Dorssys Paulino, SS: ETA: 2016
3. Tyler Naquin, OF: ETA: Late 2014
4. Luigi Rodriguez, OF: ETA: 2015
5. Tony Wolters, SS/2B: ETA: Late 2014
6. Jesus Aguilar, 1B: ETA: 2014
7. Mitch Brown, RHP: ETA: 2016
8. Dillon Howard, RHP: ETA: 2016
9. Ronny Rodriguez, SS: ETA: Late 2014
10. Austin Adams, RHP: ETA: 2014

I'm confident there will be more sites to post (once I locate them) :biggrin
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks for posting, always interesting to check out these lists!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk