Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu May 05, 2011 1:04 am

TonyIPI wrote:Chisenhall (3B), Phelps (SS), and Kipnis (2B) are the priority guys and will get most of the time at those positions. Donald will be mixing in at 3B, SS and 2B. Valbuena and JRod are going to get most of their time in LF and occassional spot time in the infield.

Just incredible depth though. Imagine when Wegz and Goedert come back. And then Talbot/Carrasco come back and two starters in AAA have to move out.

I would not be surprised if we do not see Rondon this year but have heard little about Johnson's progress. Last thing i read talked about May or June. You know anything more, Tony?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 am

I just can't see a spot for Valbuena with Kipnis, Phelps, Chiz and Donald competing to replace Hannahan and Orlando Cabrera at some point. One of them will take Everett's spot eventually but I still don't see where Valbs fits in. I don't think his bat plays as a ML left fielder, and he's certainly no threat to Brantley.

Maybe he ends up as a utility guy who can play short, 2nd and 3rd, but then he's got to get past Donald and Phelps. I see him going the way of Jordan Brown at some point.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 am

Prosecutor wrote:I just can't see a spot for Valbuena with Kipnis, Phelps, Chiz and Donald competing to replace Hannahan and Orlando Cabrera at some point. One of them will take Everett's spot eventually but I still don't see where Valbs fits in. I don't think his bat plays as a ML left fielder, and he's certainly no threat to Brantley.

Maybe he ends up as a utility guy who can play short, 2nd and 3rd, but then he's got to get past Donald and Phelps. I see him going the way of Jordan Brown at some point.

May not be a spot, but still valuable at least for depth. If you ask me he is still option #1 in waiting to replace Everett, not Donald.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:I just can't see a spot for Valbuena with Kipnis, Phelps, Chiz and Donald competing to replace Hannahan and Orlando Cabrera at some point. One of them will take Everett's spot eventually but I still don't see where Valbs fits in. I don't think his bat plays as a ML left fielder, and he's certainly no threat to Brantley.

May not be a spot, but still valuable at least for depth. If you ask me he is still option #1 in waiting to replace Everett, not Donald.

Still say he can replace Kearns. Grady is showing he's healthy, Brantley is hitting......we don't need Duncan and Kearns on this team. Duncan can be the backup outfielder. Throw in that Valbuena played in LF (probably more to come?) and he provides the versatility that you like in your 25th man.

Obviously Kearns is on a ML deal (and the Tribe likes him)....but on paper, don't see Valbuena being any worse. Plus he gives you a better pinch runner late in a game.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Kluber klobbered, down 7-2 after giving up a grandslam in the 5th...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby bmonnig » Fri May 06, 2011 3:43 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/y ... -todd.html

The Yankees claimed right-hander Jess Todd off of waivers from Cleveland, the Indians announced. The Indians had designated Todd for assignment on April 30th.
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm

bmonnig wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/yankees-claim-jess-todd.html

The Yankees claimed right-hander Jess Todd off of waivers from Cleveland, the Indians announced. The Indians had designated Todd for assignment on April 30th.

Not a huge deal, but I figured that as much would happen. I wonder if Valbuena would have cleared, but it's not like the Indians don't have guys to replace Todd. As immediate MLB depth you have Judy and Herrman on the 40, with Jensen Lewis and Putnam off of it.

On the plus side, a spot has opened up in Columbus, probably for Hagadone or CC Lee. I'd imagine Stowell would then be activated in Akron.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby InsaneJedi » Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Edible14 wrote:On the plus side, a spot has opened up in Columbus, probably for Hagadone or CC Lee. I'd imagine Stowell would then be activated in Akron.

Actually, I think Columbus's roster is still at capacity. They have been rolling with a six-man bullpen since J-Rod was activated. One of the excess infielders is going to have to go; my guess would be Hodges.
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Edible14 wrote:
bmonnig wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/yankees-claim-jess-todd.html

Not a huge deal, but I figured that as much would happen. I wonder if Valbuena would have cleared, but it's not like the Indians don't have guys to replace Todd. As immediate MLB depth you have Judy and Herrman on the 40, with Jensen Lewis and Putnam off of it.

On the plus side, a spot has opened up in Columbus, probably for Hagadone or CC Lee. I'd imagine Stowell would then be activated in Akron.

Just hate to see us lose talent for nothing, I mean at worst you get more cash. I mean all that savings could help sign one more pick.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Can someone compare Carrera, Henry, and Holt as fielders
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Fri May 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Can someone compare Carrera, Henry, and Holt as fielders

To me if you put them in the other order that is best upside. Carrera and Henry have no pop at all, Holt has some doubles pop. I think Henry has the best speed, and Carrera is the strongest defender, but I could be wrong. I think your looking at every one of them as 4 OF who can handle all 3 spots
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 am

Carrera is the best fielder of the bunch, though Henry is not far behind (and Holt is no slouch). Carrera offers legit gold glove caliber defense though and is tested being at the AAA level already whereas Holt is still green and in A+ and Henry still in AA. They are all the same hitters with speed and approach, but Carrera has the most pop of the three.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Sat May 07, 2011 12:21 am

TonyIPI wrote:

Carrera is the best fielder of the bunch, though Henry is not far behind (and Holt is no slouch). Carrera offers legit gold glove caliber defense though and is tested being at the AAA level already whereas Holt is still green and in A+ and Henry still in AA. They are all the same hitters with speed and approach, but Carrera has the most pop of the three.

I did realize carrera had the best pop, with all that is said here, cant we just let go Kearns and have Carrera just be our 4th he seems ready
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 am

jellis wrote:I did realize carrera had the best pop, with all that is said here, cant we just let go Kearns and have Carrera just be our 4th he seems ready

Problem is our all lefty hitting outfield. Carrera is a lefty too. I agree he is better than Kearns and would prefer him, but I think a better RH alternative needs to be found first. I would not be surprised to see Huffman get a shot soon and Kearns sent packing. Kearns is terrible.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Sat May 07, 2011 5:50 pm

I feel bad for Austin but he has been horrible. I would like to see Huffman over Carrera for 2 reasons:
1. He bats from the right side.
2. He has more power

You can't help but think that it is time for some kind of trade to bring in a guy who can play LF with power.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sat May 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I feel bad for Austin but he has been horrible. I would like to see Huffman over Carrera for 2 reasons:
2. He has more power

You can't help but think that it is time for some kind of trade to bring in a guy who can play LF with power.

I dont think you take out brantly, he has improved and should be a starter every day Kearns is just a back up really
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 am

Hats off to Brantley as he is having a very fine season thus far. I see him as a legitimate leadoff hitter and hope the Indians hang on to him. I feel there is a surplus of good talent, some of which will never see the light of day at Progressive Field. Some of that talent would probably be on some other major league rosters or in the very near plans. There have been and will continue to be some very difficult roster decisions. Taking these things into consideration I bet Antonetti's phone is ringing off the hook or soon will be. Hopefully he can reel in a young, inexpensive power hitting outfielder. It is wishful thinking I know but it makes sense to me. I wish I had a deeper knowledge of all minor league affiliates. Maybe I'll work on that.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sun May 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Hats off to Brantley as he is having a very fine season thus far. I see him as a legitimate leadoff hitter and hope the Indians hang on to him. I feel there is a surplus of good talent, some of which will never see the light of day at Progressive Field. Some of that talent would probably be on some other major league rosters or in the very near plans. There have been and will continue to be some very difficult roster decisions. Taking these things into consideration I bet Antonetti's phone is ringing off the hook or soon will be. Hopefully he can reel in a young, inexpensive power hitting outfielder. It is wishful thinking I know but it makes sense to me. I wish I had a deeper knowledge of all minor league affiliates. Maybe I'll work on that.

My issue is you can't trade spare parts to get a cheap, young, power hitting OF. Teams will want Chisenhall or Kipnis, plus Hagadone or Putnam plus an upside spec like Starling or Ursehale. Power and Youth are the most expensive skills to acquire in a deal. We could get an expensive vet, cept fans aren't going tot he games and we can't add payroll. The best this team will be able to add is a Lofton type of player, for a hitter, and I dont see it happening. They built up all this depth for a reason, all the young guys have developed. Plus you risk stunting Brantly's develop not playing him. Teams will call no doubt, but to get some one who will help they will have to give up one of the top 3 specs. I just don't think that is what this team should do.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:31 pm

A guy who has been playing good for Columbus and doesn't really fill a hole for the ML team is Ezequiel Carrera. Excellent defense and pretty consistent at the plate so far. Needs to keep swiping bags and start hitting a few dingers to really turn heads though. Might be of considerable interest to another team in a trade, and is already an excellent 4th OF option for us...Any doubt he would be in CLE if he hit RH?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Sun May 08, 2011 7:07 pm

My issue is you can't trade spare parts to get a cheap, young, power hitting OF. Teams will want Chisenhall or Kipnis, plus Hagadone or Putnam plus an upside spec like Starling or Ursehale. Power and Youth are the most expensive skills to acquire in a deal. We could get an expensive vet, cept fans aren't going tot he games and we can't add payroll. The best this team will be able to add is a Lofton type of player, for a hitter, and I dont see it happening. They built up all this depth for a reason, all the young guys have developed. Plus you risk stunting Brantly's develop not playing him. Teams will call no doubt, but to get some one who will help they will have to give up one of the top 3 specs. I just don't think that is what this team should do.[/quote]

The package you mentioned is more than the Indians got for Lee or Sabathia, the Indians are not the Montreal Expos in their last year of existance. I'm not talking about spare parts. I'm talking about solid players that are blocked by the Indians deep system. I respectfully disagree with your assesment of power and youth. I'd bet most if not all teams covet starting pitching over power hitting outfield prospects. I think your selling the Indians system short by saying all they could get is a Lofton type player, way short. You could probably land a Hunter Pence for one of De La Cruz, Barnes, Huff(maybe), McCallister with Phelps and/or Carrera. Those are all good young players ready or almost ready to contribute at the major league level. Maybe you can throw a starting pitcher and a bullpen arm at the Yankees for Montero and convert him to LF. My point is I think the preseason rankings sold the Indians farm system short too. They are definately a top 3 system IMO.

Some players that might be worth looking into are Lars Anderson, Yonder Alonzo, Nolan Arenado, Josh Vitters(iffy), Fernando Martinez, Dominic Brown(long shot), and maybe Cory Hart. Just ideas and some are worth more than others obviously. Maybe Huffman is a better option than all of the players I mentioned which would allow the Indians to hold onto everyone, but I think they will get an offer to good to pass on. Don't know this as fact, it's just a hunch.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Chip Davis wrote:My issue is you can't trade spare parts to get a cheap, young, power hitting OF. Teams will want Chisenhall or Kipnis, plus Hagadone or Putnam plus an upside spec like Starling or Ursehale. Power and Youth are the most expensive skills to acquire in a deal. We could get an expensive vet, cept fans aren't going tot he games and we can't add payroll. The best this team will be able to add is a Lofton type of player, for a hitter, and I dont see it happening. They built up all this depth for a reason, all the young guys have developed. Plus you risk stunting Brantly's develop not playing him. Teams will call no doubt, but to get some one who will help they will have to give up one of the top 3 specs. I just don't think that is what this team should do.

The package you mentioned is more than the Indians got for Lee or Sabathia, the Indians are not the Montreal Expos in their last year of existance. I'm not talking about spare parts. I'm talking about solid players that are blocked by the Indians deep system. I respectfully disagree with your assesment of power and youth. I'd bet most if not all teams covet starting pitching over power hitting outfield prospects. I think your selling the Indians system short by saying all they could get is a Lofton type player, way short. You could probably land a Hunter Pence for one of De La Cruz, Barnes, Huff(maybe), McCallister with Phelps and/or Carrera. Those are all good young players ready or almost ready to contribute at the major league level. Maybe you can throw a starting pitcher and a bullpen arm at the Yankees for Montero and convert him to LF. My point is I think the preseason rankings sold the Indians farm system short too. They are definately a top 3 system IMO.

Some players that might be worth looking into are Lars Anderson, Yonder Alonzo, Nolan Arenado, Josh Vitters(iffy), Fernando Martinez, Dominic Brown(long shot), and maybe Cory Hart. Just ideas and some are worth more than others obviously. Maybe Huffman is a better option than all of the players I mentioned which would allow the Indians to hold onto everyone, but I think they will get an offer to good to pass on. Don't know this as fact, it's just a hunch.[/quote]

I think your under selling pence, and you have to pay more for a young player under contract then lee or cc because they were expiring it costs a lot to get a player under control. I disagree but all we can say is time will tell
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Gomez optioned to Clips. No countermove yet.

http://blog.dispatch.com/clippers/2011/ ... pers.shtml
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 pm

There are lots of power OF bats on 1 year deals or whatever who would fit the need in Cleveland that we wouldn't have to give up the farm for. Indians are not going to trade for Jose Bautista in the outfield....think more of a David Segui (circa 2000) kind of pickup.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Gomez optioned to Clips. No countermove yet.

No need for one, since Todd was claimed. They can just slide Martinez into the bullpen and... done.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Gomez optioned to Clips. No countermove yet.

No need for one, since Todd was claimed. They can just slide Martinez into the bullpen and... done.

Todd was already off the roster....roster is at 25 with Gomez so they need to remove a guy to get to 24 limit.

Looks like JRod may be deactivated.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 pm

TonyIPI wrote:There are lots of power OF bats on 1 year deals or whatever who would fit the need in Cleveland that we wouldn't have to give up the farm for. Indians are not going to trade for Jose Bautista in the outfield....think more of a David Segui (circa 2000) kind of pickup.

3 names to keep in mind who are expiring are ethier and Kemp. Ethier being a lefty is less so, but Kemp is a righty, expiring and I think the dodgers will be a major seller, plus you would just about be guaranteed an extra first if you offer him arb. Dodgers are just so mess, and in that tough division they would be quick sellers. It might cost a player like Kipnis, but I like cord enough to realize Kipnis is the player who is the most likely trade asset this year. Or if you dont want to pay in prospects another name is carlos Beltran, some pop. The mets need to save money so you could kick in a player like Kearns and durbin and not really give up a major spec. I bet a Kluber and one more meh spec would do that.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I feel bad for Austin but he has been horrible. I would like to see Huffman over Carrera for 2 reasons:
2. He has more power

What's the hurry to move Brantley? His OBP is about .390 and he covers a ton of ground in left field and is fast on the bases. He's only going to get better in his first full season in the bigs. How about that 11 pitch at-bat against Weaver on Saturday?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
2. He has more power

What's the hurry to move Brantley? His OBP is about .390 and he covers a ton of ground in left field and is fast on the bases. He's only going to get better in his first full season in the bigs. How about that 11 pitch at-bat against Weaver on Saturday?

I don't think anyone wants to "move" Brantley at all, I think this conversation is more about the 4th outfielder position.
The consensus here is that Huffman is the more exciting option than Kearns as a right handed bat in an all left handed outfield. I'm not saying at all that I disagree, and without the ability to actually see any of these guys play, I know that right now, Huffman is producing in AAA (while Kearns is not in the bigs), I wonder if anyone was clamoring for this move when Huffman couldn't buy a hit, pretty much through the better part of April.

Point being,if we release Kearns, eat the contract (keep in mind the very small appetite for that) and Huffman does no better than Kearns after being called up, (with all the ramifications to the 40 man to make it happen), what then? Not saying it's not worth the risk, I'm just thinking that, until he really shows even more than he has so far, he may best be utilized coming up as a "replacement" for an injured OFer or LaPorta so he can get an extended look playing everyday, without losing that "insurance" that is Kearns. If Buck or Carrera were right handed, this wouldn't be an issue at all, for a lot of reasons. Shame.

Another point/question: In addition to being a RH bat, another asset that Kearns brings, from what I've been led to believe here, is as a solid defender who indeed can play all three outfield positions. Can anyone shed light on Huffman's competence in the field? Thanks.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Don't know how many are watching STO but they are showing the Clippers vs Charlotte Knights (ChiSox) tonight.

Zach McAllister is dealing very well. I might be interested in giving him the next big league starting shot that presents itself (instead of Jeanmar).

Donald is playing well andjust went opposite field for a HR. Chisenhall hit with the very next pitch.

The Charlotte team looks lousy. 3 errors already. I don't think Kenny Williams is going to be able to go down there & pull up a few guys to get his team going.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby nubballguy » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Since I just brought up the question of Huffman's glove in my other post, I'd like to ask about Carrera comparatively as well.

A few years back we had Grady in CF and had a great defensive OF in Franklin Gutierrez that we traded off to Seattle that may be the best we've had overall in Cleveland

So where in the Gutierrez, Sizemore, Brantley continuum does Carrera fit in? Curious to hear what those of you who've seen these guys would place him. Helps to get a better understanding of just what we're talking about defensively.

Thanks!
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm

jellis wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:There are lots of power OF bats on 1 year deals or whatever who would fit the need in Cleveland that we wouldn't have to give up the farm for. Indians are not going to trade for Jose Bautista in the outfield....think more of a David Segui (circa 2000) kind of pickup.

3 names to keep in mind who are expiring are ethier and Kemp. Ethier being a lefty is less so, but Kemp is a righty, expiring and I think the dodgers will be a major seller, plus you would just about be guaranteed an extra first if you offer him arb. Dodgers are just so mess, and in that tough division they would be quick sellers. It might cost a player like Kipnis, but I like cord enough to realize Kipnis is the player who is the most likely trade asset this year. Or if you dont want to pay in prospects another name is carlos Beltran, some pop. The mets need to save money so you could kick in a player like Kearns and durbin and not really give up a major spec. I bet a Kluber and one more meh spec would do that.

You would definitely guarantee yourself an extra year by offering arbitration....since he's not eligible for free agency til after 2012. Would have to non-tender him to not be guaranteed to have him another year. He's a guy I'd love to have....not sure we make that big a play though for a bat.

Another bat I'd throw out there is Ryan Ludwick. Off to a horrible start, but if he rebounds, probably doesn't take much to get him from SD (assuming they are in the basement still). reverse splits, so not the best option though. Been declining each year though so may not end up much better than Kearns (just more expensive). But who knows. OF seems fine to me now so don't see a move being needed unless there's an injury (knock on wood).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Before we trade anybody, I think Huffman needs to given a chance to take Kearns spot. Roll with that see if it works. Kemp would be a good fit not great but doable. I haven't really looked into the available type players yet, but seems to me the best course would be to hold steady for as long as possible. Huffman for Kearns and Donald for Everett and see what that does. Really would have loved to see a healthy Weglarz lumbering around in Cbus to start the year. He is tradeable, only 2 guys aren't Chiz and Pom IMO. Lets see what Huffman can do.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:

You would definitely guarantee yourself an extra year by offering arbitration....since he's not eligible for free agency til after 2012. Would have to non-tender him to not be guaranteed to have him another year. He's a guy I'd love to have....not sure we make that big a play though for a bat.

Another bat I'd throw out there is Ryan Ludwick. Off to a horrible start, but if he rebounds, probably doesn't take much to get him from SD (assuming they are in the basement still). reverse splits, so not the best option though. Been declining each year though so may not end up much better than Kearns (just more expensive). But who knows. OF seems fine to me now so don't see a move being needed unless there's an injury (knock on wood).

according to cots he is expiring that's what I based it on, but i guess he would be an arb guy then, since his contract was only 100 and 11
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Tue May 10, 2011 1:48 am

criznit2009 wrote:Before we trade anybody, I think Huffman needs to given a chance to take Kearns spot. Roll with that see if it works. Kemp would be a good fit not great but doable. I haven't really looked into the available type players yet, but seems to me the best course would be to hold steady for as long as possible. Huffman for Kearns and Donald for Everett and see what that does. Really would have loved to see a healthy Weglarz lumbering around in Cbus to start the year. He is tradeable, only 2 guys aren't Chiz and Pom IMO. Lets see what Huffman can do.

Criz you hit the nail on the head. Huffman should be given a shot and in my opinion a trade should only be made if it's a serious uprade for multiple years. That might not be possible, but I wouldn't give up any good young talent for a rental at this or any other point. They are in a good position of leverage and I still think someone will call with an offer that is too good to refuse.

Just to clear the air so to speak. I view Brantley as the future leadoff man for the Tribe once Grady is gone. His on base skills and bat to ball ability are very good IMO. He's a singles hitter at the moment but he's also a good base stealer, so many of his singles are as good as doubles, maybe better. Alot of pitchers become less effective with a threat at 1st which is helpful to the hitter(s) after him. More fastballs are thrown in that situation also.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby JayAre » Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am

Hermie13 wrote:Another bat I'd throw out there is Ryan Ludwick. Off to a horrible start, but if he rebounds, probably doesn't take much to get him from SD (assuming they are in the basement still).

Maybe we could give them Kluber back.
JayAre
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 10, 2011 9:29 am

A couple other right handed bats (..in addition to Ryan Ludwick..who would be a very fine addition) that may be in the cross hairs as the Indians approach the trading deadline and remain in contention:

-Bill Hall w/ the Stros...
-Aramis Ramirez w/ the Cubs..

Both are with clubs that are currently not in contention and will become FA's after the 2011 season. Bill Hall has some pop, can play both infield and outfield.. and isn't terribly expensive..in his case..you gets what you pays for.. Aramis Ramirez would require a pretty big financial commitment, however, he'd be just perfect for his defense at 3B and right handed power bat...

I'm sure there are more names...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby petes999 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:41 pm

At first, I was against trading for some power-as it is usually a one-year deal that we may not take advantage especially if comp picks go away. Yet, thinking about it more, if we get creative, what about trading young players for young players. I don't know who exactly, but if you trade Brantley and McAllister what kind of return can you get?

You probably can get a power LF that steps in for Brantley. You keep Buck, Huffman, Duncan, ... in our 4th/5th outfielder roles where they belong. The returning team gets a starting CF that they can plug into the leadoff spot. CF for Power Corner may be a wash ... of course it won't be All-star caliber. And, if that person is in our control for 4 years ... we can look at a Henry or Carrera to replace Sizemore after next year. Yet, Henry, Carrera and Brantley (and Crowe and a even a bit Greenwell) block each other right now. Then, as a bonus, if you can get a AA shortstop for throwing in McAllister (Power RF > Brantley > McAllister > AA SS - in terms of trade value), you have somoene being groomed in 2-1/2 years to replace Cabrera .... I look at this as a win/win.

I know this won't be favored by some because we like Brantley ... yet we have better players at CF (not to Branley's level) but in comparison to our younger corner guys. So get a corner guy on a team that needs speed in center and then we have players to play CF in a few years and have Weglarz or a Phelps (to get his bat in the field) to replace Choo plus a LF in our control for a few years.

Also, McAllister is turning it on this year to increase our trade value. And, we can throw in Huff and still have a surplus at AA/AAA. Think of next year, AAA - Rondon, Klubler, Gomez, De La Cruz, Gadner/Adams AA- Garner/Adams, McFarland, Pom, Packer, Soto/House

I wouldn't worry about an experience set-up guy as Perez/Sipp are hadnling it fine and throw in Pestano. You still have a bunch of young guys wanting to come up in Smith, Hermann, Judy, Hagadone, Stowell, Lee ... This can be trial by error to find someone with the toughness to not give a dam that he shouldn't be in late inning so early on. Also, Miller has the age to have that toughness if his finger stays on.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't think we have anyone that is as good as Brantley for CF. Brantley is already proving he can be a legit leadoff guy at the major league level, and a fine defensive CFer. And he's still pretty young. Henry, Greenwell and Carrerra MIGHT get close to that level, but they're no sure things. Certainly for the time being, Brantley is a guy we need in case Sizemore goes down.

While I like what Huffman is doing this year, I can't help but think that we're all getting carried away. Remember, Goedert went through a really hot stretch last year and ended up not even getting a September call up after he came back down to earth. So I think it's a little early to declare that Huffman is totally our answer in the OF. I also suspect that Kearns will be given some time to get himself back to playing well. If he's not out of it by the end of May, though, I think there's no excuse for keeping him around.

Just as the Indians FO doesn't judge guys based on one bad/good year, they're not going to rush a decision like this based on a little over a month.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:44 pm

ugh....Jason Donald just removed from the Clippers game with an injury (knee). Kid just can't catch a break right now....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue May 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Last edited by OhioBaseball on Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Regarding some of the trade discussion, one guy that I believe would fetch a pretty penny is Kelvin De La Cruz. He is a very talented, high upside pitcher that I think a fair amount of Indians prospect fans underestimate. I understand he's a bit green, but when scouts and pitching coaches watch him their eyes have to light up because DLC has a LOT to work with. Talented and his performance thus far in 2011 has been quite encouraging.

I'm NOT advocating trading him, but if the Indians needed someone and did not want to give up White or Pomeranz, I think a lot of teams would be OK settling with De La Cruz.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:20 am

OhioBaseball wrote:Regarding some of the trade discussion, one guy that I believe would fetch a pretty penny is Kelvin De La Cruz. He is a very talented, high upside pitcher that I think a fair amount of Indians prospect fans underestimate. I understand he's a bit green, but when scouts and pitching coaches watch him their eyes have to light up because DLC has a LOT to work with. Talented and his performance thus far in 2011 has been quite encouraging.

I'm NOT advocating trading him, but if the Indians needed someone and did not want to give up White or Pomeranz, I think a lot of teams would be OK settling with De La Cruz.

Depends on what you'd get back. He's a higher upside guy in the system. I think I'd rather have DLC in a future rotation that ZMac, Kluber, Huff, Gomez or Barnes - the guys ahead of him now. To me, those are all back of the rotation types (Tomlin too, but he's certainly playing above that), where DLC has a higher ceiling. Unless you got back some really good value for him, I'm not sure I like the idea of trading him. Especially if it's a rent-a-player kind of guy.

Also, I think there's enough guys coming through the pipeline right now that can get a shot that we don't necessarily need to get a rent-a-player. Huffman and Goedert aren't the most proven options, but they can be RH bats if need be. We've got Valbuena, Donald, Phelps and JRod as utility IFers. We've got Nick Johnson and Nick Weglarz coming back from injury hopefully sooner than later, with Travis Buck and Carrerra already there. We've got bullpen options, starting options... I don't honestly see a glaring need right now for a trade. Maybe something materializes with injuries by the deadline. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see the Indians deal some AAA guys for A-ball prospects at the deadline, even if they're contending. The lower minors might be the area most in need of repair.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 am

Edible14 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Regarding some of the trade discussion, one guy that I believe would fetch a pretty penny is Kelvin De La Cruz. He is a very talented, high upside pitcher that I think a fair amount of Indians prospect fans underestimate. I understand he's a bit green, but when scouts and pitching coaches watch him their eyes have to light up because DLC has a LOT to work with. Talented and his performance thus far in 2011 has been quite encouraging.

Depends on what you'd get back. He's a higher upside guy in the system. I think I'd rather have DLC in a future rotation that ZMac, Kluber, Huff, Gomez or Barnes - the guys ahead of him now. To me, those are all back of the rotation types (Tomlin too, but he's certainly playing above that), where DLC has a higher ceiling. Unless you got back some really good value for him, I'm not sure I like the idea of trading him. Especially if it's a rent-a-player kind of guy.

Also, I think there's enough guys coming through the pipeline right now that can get a shot that we don't necessarily need to get a rent-a-player. Huffman and Goedert aren't the most proven options, but they can be RH bats if need be. We've got Valbuena, Donald, Phelps and JRod as utility IFers. We've got Nick Johnson and Nick Weglarz coming back from injury hopefully sooner than later, with Travis Buck and Carrerra already there. We've got bullpen options, starting options... I don't honestly see a glaring need right now for a trade. Maybe something materializes with injuries by the deadline. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see the Indians deal some AAA guys for A-ball prospects at the deadline, even if they're contending. The lower minors might be the area most in need of repair.

Like you, I am not in a rush to trade players now. Wait a month and see what comes down.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:55 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Like you, I am not in a rush to trade players now. Wait a month and see what comes down.

Figured is was just assumed that this trade talk was more about July than something that should happen now...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Like you, I am not in a rush to trade players now. Wait a month and see what comes down.

Figured is was just assumed that this trade talk was more about July than something that should happen now...

Right, but I think our needs will develop due to injuries and ineffectiveness. If it was July right now, and we had the roster performing the way it is now with the health they have now... I would argue for no trades. Except for maybe moving some of the guys who are stuck in AAA for younger prospects. Guys like Huff, Head, Valbuena, Carlton Smith, JRod, Jensen Lewis, McBride, etc. That being said, I've no idea what the value of those guys would be.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Right now there is a video of Chisenhall's 3 rbi double from last night's game up at milb.com. He used a very short, compact swing and ripped a hard groundball down the line past the third baseman. It seems insignificant, but I have not seen a lot of Lonnie, and it's nice to see he has the ability to drive the ball the other way. Over the last couple years its been hard to watch Grady and Hafner rolling over everything, and this year Choo and Santana are getting a little pull happy as well.

The video is nothing special, but it's a nice piece of hitting, and it gave me a good impression on the approach we might see from Chiz. If you have time, take a peak.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/mult ... d=14693423
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Jason Donald was placed on the DL. Sounds like he'll be there for 3 weeks or so....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 am

Hermie13 wrote:

After your post, I reread the thread and you are probably right. I think I may have gotten a different sense of urgency from tony's blog and mixed his thinking into the thread. I know there are changes coming that effect the rosters but I do not want to make premature personnel moves that might effect the rebuild negatively.

Unless it becomes urgent, I do not mind waiting another month with kearns, everett and two rps that are not rebuild material. We might need to replace a couple of position starters and let's make the changes that give us chace this year but won't slow the LT plan.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Unless it becomes urgent, I do not mind waiting another month with kearns, everett and two rps that are not rebuild material. We might need to replace a couple of position starters and let's make the changes that give us chace this year but won't slow the LT plan.

I agree here. Kind of thinking we should/will follow a similar plan as the Padres last year. Maybe make an upgrade or two to the roster (ie, their Ludwick trade), but don't go crazy. Nice thing is our farm system is so much better/deeper than the Padres that we could afford a lil more aggressiveness and still not affect our long term plans :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Anyone else starting to think that Head needs to given a shot this year? Starting to think he might be a better gamble then Huffman - if he keeps this up till mid-June he has to get a shot right? Other than his K's he is putting up some tasty numbers. Would Head have any trade value besides cash - time to do some clearing out in Columbus it just is too crowded and guys who are all ML options.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk