RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

Interesting situation brewing with Nick Hagadone.. could be to-may-toe.. or could be toe-mah-toe.. :s_dunno

Nick Hagadone: Was considered a stud prospect in the red sox system. the sawx couldn't or wouldn't publicly comment on where they projected him to go, start or reliever.. and gave several comments comparing Nick to Justin Masterson as far as "projection" goes. He has slick & sick stuff, is a lefty, & a club house leader/type.

The Aeros have put him into the role of a "piggy back" starter. This could be for the purpose of stretching out his arm to give him more innings. It could also be a means to allow him to further develop the command he'll need for his change up..

If he can get his change up to at least ML average.. he could become a MOR/FOR starter somewhere down a very short road. If not, then he'll be a stalwart in the pen..possibly a back of the pen/closer. From what I've seen in person and read, the decision by the Indians player development people to make him a bullpen option would give him the fastest track to becoming a ML'er, but, he's got the mentality, size, and arm to be a very good starter at the ML level. I would guess, depending on several events (injuries, performance, etc) that he could be promoted to the ML's as a pen guy/long reliever who would gradually transition to becoming a starter..much like his former farm-mate, Justin Masterson.. So far, pretty damn good...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 am

TonyIPI wrote:The difference though Art is Tomlin was a priority reliever/pitcher for the Indians in the minors. A lot of that had to do with the lack of arms at AAA on down. Now that they have so many arms in the system, a lot of guys who 2-3 years ago would have been a priority starter/reliever (like Espino would have been) are now just organizational filler and no longer getting any priority. Espino has extremely long odds to do anything with the Indians....his best shot is a trade to another team which may happen. The Indians often find teams for players like that with trades to help them out.


That may be quite true, and I would then state that putting him in as a starter at Akron might increase the value of what you could get back in trade.

Say for example he goes into the starting role and pitches much like he did the last couple of months of 2010, a team that is contending a has the need for a filler starter for a brief period of time might be willing to deal a mid-level type of prospect for a fellow like Espino.

I just don't think he has a relief pitcher mentality, and this is marginalizing his value to the Indians as either their own asset (and I agree he may not get a chance with the club) or as a trade chip.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Interesting situation brewing with Nick Hagadone.. could be to-may-toe.. or could be toe-mah-toe.. :s_dunno

Nick Hagadone: Was considered a stud prospect in the red sox system. the sawx couldn't or wouldn't publicly comment on where they projected him to go, start or reliever.. and gave several comments comparing Nick to Justin Masterson as far as "projection" goes. He has slick & sick stuff, is a lefty, & a club house leader/type.

The Aeros have put him into the role of a "piggy back" starter. This could be for the purpose of stretching out his arm to give him more innings. It could also be a means to allow him to further develop the command he'll need for his change up..

If he can get his change up to at least ML average.. he could become a MOR/FOR starter somewhere down a very short road. If not, then he'll be a stalwart in the pen..possibly a back of the pen/closer. From what I've seen in person and read, the decision by the Indians player development people to make him a bullpen option would give him the fastest track to becoming a ML'er, but, he's got the mentality, size, and arm to be a very good starter at the ML level. I would guess, depending on several events (injuries, performance, etc) that he could be promoted to the ML's as a pen guy/long reliever who would gradually transition to becoming a starter..much like his former farm-mate, Justin Masterson.. So far, pretty damn good...


While I hope you are right and he's a Justin Maseterson-esque reliever to starter......IMO a better "Boston comp" would be Daniel Bard.

A guy who was a reliever a lot in college then was tried as a starter, failed, and looks like a dominate reliever/future closer type. While I'd prefer to see Hagadone start, I'd definitely take a Daniel Bard-esque setup/closer type in Hagadone as well. Bard was a top 100 guy as a starter....then bombed and was dropped by most "experts" down the prospect ladder. Wasn't til he was moved to the pen that he regained his top 100 status and really took off. Hagadone is looking like he's following a similar path (mentioned this pre-season as well).

Again, I do hope Hagadone can get back to starting. Just not sure he will...and with the lack of lefty-bullpen arms in the upper levels, may stay in the pen out of need.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:50 pm

The same site (soxprospects.com) discussed both Masterson as a comp as well as Bard as a comp to Hagadone.. the opinions varied in both directions.. one thing that was pretty consistent was the thought that Hagadone had a future as a ML pitcher, to wit, there was no dissent there. They all believed he would succeed in that endeavor.

The questions revolved around developing the change up.. and the abandonment of the split finger fastball.. pages and pages of debate... on this subject..

As far as a need for a bullpen looogie..hmm.. wouldn't that role be "fillable" by any one of:

-TJ House: heavy sinking fastball/wipeout slider combination
-Eric Berger: Fastball, mean as nails demeanor and/or
-Matt Packer: Fastball goes DOWN all the time / His slider can be a wipe out pitch.

Leaving Hagadone as a starter?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:As far as a need for a bullpen looogie..hmm.. wouldn't that role be "fillable" by any one of:

-TJ House: heavy sinking fastball/wipeout slider combination
-Eric Berger: Fastball, mean as nails demeanor and/or
-Matt Packer: Fastball goes DOWN all the time / His slider can be a wipe out pitch.

Leaving Hagadone as a starter?


Who said anything about a bullpen loogy?
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:As far as a need for a bullpen looogie..hmm.. wouldn't that role be "fillable" by any one of:

-TJ House: heavy sinking fastball/wipeout slider combination
-Eric Berger: Fastball, mean as nails demeanor and/or
-Matt Packer: Fastball goes DOWN all the time / His slider can be a wipe out pitch.

Leaving Hagadone as a starter?


Who said anything about a bullpen loogy?


Nobody here, but it will end up being a position of need for the Indians in the forseeable future. Currently, there's nobody at AAA that can fill the role if either Sipp or Perez goes down (English was released I believe). But GSon is right, there are other options.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Edible14 wrote:Nobody here, but it will end up being a position of need for the Indians in the forseeable future. Currently, there's nobody at AAA that can fill the role if either Sipp or Perez goes down (English was released I believe). But GSon is right, there are other options.


Point is Hagadone will be much, much more than a LOOGY if he's in the pen (or I would hope). Has better stuff than C. Perez even and would not rule out the closers role for him down the line.

Berger is another option but Hagadone has a chance to be a very, very special reliever.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Point is Hagadone will be much, much more than a LOOGY if he's in the pen (or I would hope). Has better stuff than C. Perez even and would not rule out the closers role for him down the line.

Berger is another option but Hagadone has a chance to be a very, very special reliever.


Agreed closer seems very realistic to me. Think its time to move him to Columbus.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Edible14 wrote:Nobody here, but it will end up being a position of need for the Indians in the forseeable future. Currently, there's nobody at AAA that can fill the role if either Sipp or Perez goes down (English was released I believe). But GSon is right, there are other options.


Point is Hagadone will be much, much more than a LOOGY if he's in the pen (or I would hope). Has better stuff than C. Perez even and would not rule out the closers role for him down the line.

Berger is another option but Hagadone has a chance to be a very, very special reliever.


Ah, fair enough. I was thinking more "left-handed reliever", forgetting/ignoring that LOOGY means something much different.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 am

Ed.. good point.. the definition of the word "loogy".. while some may believe it means a huge glob of spit, others go by the traditional definition that a "Loogy" is a left handed specialist relief pitcher in baseball. Still others go by a more strict definition that means Left Only One Out Guy. i.e. a left handed reliever who faces only one left handed batter in an appearance.

If you want to argue for argument's sake.. then the strictest definition should be used.. If not, then it's a bad idea to spit into the wind.. :rofl:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Ed.. good point.. the definition of the word "loogy".. while some may believe it means a huge glob of spit, others go by the traditional definition that a "Loogy" is a left handed specialist relief pitcher in baseball. Still others go by a more strict definition that means Left Only One Out Guy. i.e. a left handed reliever who faces only one left handed batter in an appearance.

If you want to argue for argument's sake.. then the strictest definition should be used.. If not, then it's a bad idea to spit into the wind.. :rofl:


Not that it really matters...but since you felt the need to make a whole post about the definition of a LOOGY....

It actually stands for just "Lefty One Out GuY"
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Best start of the year for Matt Packer tonight - 7IP, 7H, 4R, 3ER, 2BB, 4K

Not brilliant, but progress.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby silverbackAXP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:11 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Best start of the year for Matt Packer tonight - 7IP, 7H, 4R, 3ER, 2BB, 4K

Not brilliant, but progress.



Matt "Fudge" Packer
User avatar
silverbackAXP
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:10 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Wild night for DLC tonight - 4IP, 2H, 1R/ER, 6BB, 5K.

16BB and 32K in 25IP this year
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun May 01, 2011 11:22 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Wild night for DLC tonight - 4IP, 2H, 1R/ER, 6BB, 5K.

16BB and 32K in 25IP this year


De La still struggling with the walks. The Ks are nice, but he may be reaching his ceiling as a AA/AAA pitcher with the walk issues.

And Fugde Packer? LOL. Killed me reading that. Literally, as it hurts to laugh with my big 10" incision on my left side.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun May 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Helluva bounce back start for Austin Adams today after he didn't make it out of the first last time round.

7IP, 3H, 1R/ER, 3BB, 8K today to lower his ERA to 3.09
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby petes999 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I think that Adams may be the biggest prospect jump this year, going from mainly a reliever/possible starter to more of a starter who may become a reliever. My only comment so far is his two best games (6 inn/7 inn outings) came against Binghamton - last place team of the Mets.

But, like Gomez a few years ago who had a perfect game against the last place team ... good stats are good stats.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 am

Adams would be more interesting to me if he didn't turn 25 in a few months. His age is of some concern here, though you can only pitch where you are assigned no matter your age.

I hope he keeps it up and gets a shot at AAA, but like I stated his age gives me some pause about his future.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby danh8 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 am

artgold wrote:Adams would be more interesting to me if he didn't turn 25 in a few months. His age is of some concern here, though you can only pitch where you are assigned no matter your age.

I hope he keeps it up and gets a shot at AAA, but like I stated his age gives me some pause about his future.


In terms of pitching experience though, he is very young. He's progressed quickly given the time he's locked into pitching completely.
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 am

artgold wrote:Adams would be more interesting to me if he didn't turn 25 in a few months. His age is of some concern here, though you can only pitch where you are assigned no matter your age.

I hope he keeps it up and gets a shot at AAA, but like I stated his age gives me some pause about his future.


Can't remember if this was brought up before, but Baseball Prospectus actually had Austin Adams ranked as their #15 prospect in the Tribe system. Liked his control and velocity.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby bmonnig » Thu May 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Just like last year it looks like CC Lee is coming around after a slow start. His numbers over his last 3 appearances:

7.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 15 K with the other 7 outs coming via groundball
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 am

Was at Canal Park yesterday...

Joe Gardner definitely appears to still be in "project" mode. He has a long delivery and half of his fastballs are sailing arm side. Makes me wonder if he'll ever have the mechanics and control to be more than an inning-eating BOR type. Then again, he had a walk rate of 3.8 in nearly 150 innings last year, which isn't great, but seems like a solid starting point to work from... hopefully, it's a temporary issue and they can get him back to last year's rates in the second half. He also works at Betancourt speed. If he makes it to Cleveland, be prepared to hear the word "deliberate" used a dozen times per start.

He took a no-hitter into the 5th, but it was hard to notice between the 4 walks and the slow pace. However, in the first three innings, the only batter who made any solid contact against him was Ray Kruml's double-play ball hit right at the shortstop. He got into trouble in the 5th with a walk and two singles (Addison Maruszak finally put good wood on a single to center, and Kruml hit one hard that Karexon Sanchez stopped at second, but couldn't get the out). So Gardner was pulled with the bases loaded and one out, as I assume he's still on a strict pitch count (34 balls + 38 strikes = 72 pitches).

I didn't notice how incompetent the home plate ump was the first half of the game (Gardner's balls were not exactly borderline), but the strike zone turned into a teacup with Nick Hagadone on the mound. I didn't think Hagadone pitched badly at all, but he was saddled with 3 earned runs in 1.2 ip. He got out of Gardner's jam in the 5th with no further damage, but all the breaks went against him after that. He escaped John Drennen dropping a fly ball and a walk to Cody Johnson after he stood looking at an obvious strike three in the 6th, but Hagadone couldn't save things in the 7th. The two hits he allowed were ridiculously cheap... a swinging bunt that rolled along the edge of the grass all the way down to first base, and a bloop single over the shortstop... not to mention getting squeezed on another walk.

I now officially love Chris Tremie. Tony Arnold came out for a mound visit in the 7th, which wasn't so much to talk to the pitcher as it was to wait for the umpire to visit the mound so he could give him a piece of his mind. That conversation continued on back to home plate, and Tremie meanwhile wandered out to observe. Before Arnold could get tossed, Tremie turned his hat around and stepped in to take over for him. Tremie did get tossed, and then he piled dirt over the plate. However, he really showed up the ump when he went around to the front of plate, faced the ump behind it, and used both index fingers to outline where the strike zone is located. After heading to the dugout Tremie returned with a helmet and bat and placed them in the batter's box. I was sitting right beside the dugout, so I was close, but they were blasting music over the PA system at that point, so I couldn't hear what that was about.

Akron tried to mount a comeback in the 9th, down 4-3, and had runners on the corners with one out. Unfortunately, Karexon Sanchez had a 9-pitch at-bat that had started 0-2 but ended with a questionable called strike (and a delayed one at that, as Sanchez had already tossed his bat towards the dugout and turned to first). Chun Chen was the DH, so that left no option to pinch-hit for Juan Apodaca, which made the end of the game a bit predictable.

I thought it was odd when Baseball America's off-season report on Chen mentioned that some scouts question if his bat speed will translate at higher levels. Trenton's plan of attack was obviously to feed him a steady diet of off-speed pitches.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby tribe11 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Was at Canal Park yesterday...

Joe Gardner definitely appears to still be in "project" mode. He has a long delivery and half of his fastballs are sailing arm side. Makes me wonder if he'll ever have the mechanics and control to be more than an inning-eating BOR type. Then again, he had a walk rate of 3.8 in nearly 150 innings last year, which isn't great, but seems like a solid starting point to work from... hopefully, it's a temporary issue and they can get him back to last year's rates in the second half. He also works at Betancourt speed. If he makes it to Cleveland, be prepared to hear the word "deliberate" used a dozen times per start.

He took a no-hitter into the 5th, but it was hard to notice between the 4 walks and the slow pace. However, in the first three innings, the only batter who made any solid contact against him was Ray Kruml's double-play ball hit right at the shortstop. He got into trouble in the 5th with a walk and two singles (Addison Maruszak finally put good wood on a single to center, and Kruml hit one hard that Karexon Sanchez stopped at second, but couldn't get the out). So Gardner was pulled with the bases loaded and one out, as I assume he's still on a strict pitch count (34 balls + 38 strikes = 72 pitches).

I didn't notice how incompetent the home plate ump was the first half of the game (Gardner's balls were not exactly borderline), but the strike zone turned into a teacup with Nick Hagadone on the mound. I didn't think Hagadone pitched badly at all, but he was saddled with 3 earned runs in 1.2 ip. He got out of Gardner's jam in the 5th with no further damage, but all the breaks went against him after that. He escaped John Drennen dropping a fly ball and a walk to Cody Johnson after he stood looking at an obvious strike three in the 6th, but Hagadone couldn't save things in the 7th. The two hits he allowed were ridiculously cheap... a swinging bunt that rolled along the edge of the grass all the way down to first base, and a bloop single over the shortstop... not to mention getting squeezed on another walk.

I now officially love Chris Tremie. Tony Arnold came out for a mound visit in the 7th, which wasn't so much to talk to the pitcher as it was to wait for the umpire to visit the mound so he could give him a piece of his mind. That conversation continued on back to home plate, and Tremie meanwhile wandered out to observe. Before Arnold could get tossed, Tremie turned his hat around and stepped in to take over for him. Tremie did get tossed, and then he piled dirt over the plate. However, he really showed up the ump when he went around to the front of plate, faced the ump behind it, and used both index fingers to outline where the strike zone is located. After heading to the dugout Tremie returned with a helmet and bat and placed them in the batter's box. I was sitting right beside the dugout, so I was close, but they were blasting music over the PA system at that point, so I couldn't hear what that was about.

Akron tried to mount a comeback in the 9th, down 4-3, and had runners on the corners with one out. Unfortunately, Karexon Sanchez had a 9-pitch at-bat that had started 0-2 but ended with a questionable called strike (and a delayed one at that, as Sanchez had already tossed his bat towards the dugout and turned to first). Chun Chen was the DH, so that left no option to pinch-hit for Juan Apodaca, which made the end of the game a bit predictable.

I thought it was odd when Baseball America's off-season report on Chen mentioned that some scouts question if his bat speed will translate at higher levels. Trenton's plan of attack was obviously to feed him a steady diet of off-speed pitches.




I was also at the game on Saturday and it was pretty comical; however, I do believe they made a scoring error for Hagadone. He shouldn't have gotten the loss or the three runs charged to him. (nothing can be done now) Listening to the game against Erie now and Hagadone got into a little bit of trouble in the 8th, with an earned run coming in. His numbers are still good and I hope to see him advance soon. Go Aeros, Go Tribe!
tribe11
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm

As disappointing as Beau Mills' career has become, at least Akron had a first baseman who could legitimately play the position when he was healthy. Things have gotten so bad that Cristo Arnal played his fourth game at first base today... and in addition to dropping his season batting average down to .111, he committed an error that led to two unearned runs. Thankfully it was too little, too late for Bowie, as Akron won 5-3.

The Aeros have 28 errors on the season, and 8 of them have been made the first basemen. Errors might be a flawed stat in many regards, but there's no way to interpret those numbers as anything but astonishingly bad. Since coming off the DL, Jared Goedert has somehow managed to make two errors in three games, and Matt McBride already has five in 31 games. I really liked McBride early in his career as a catching prospect, but the truth is that he's now a guy whose power isn't nearly enough to overcome his seriously poor on-base skills and total inability to play a defensive position.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Once Weglarz is back and ready for action, I wonder if the Tribe will consider making a position change with him (move him to 1st and possibly to Akron to get regular atbats) or perhaps move down a Hodges to Akron and 1st base in order to open up playing time in Cbus for Nick.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Once Weglarz is back and ready for action, I wonder if the Tribe will consider making a position change with him (move him to 1st and possibly to Akron to get regular atbats) or perhaps move down a Hodges to Akron and 1st base in order to open up playing time in Cbus for Nick.


Would be shocked and disappointed if Weglarz was sent to AA. He needs to be challenged. I could maybe see Hodges go down though (or just released). LF seems open though for Wegz. J-Rod and Valbuena would lose time. Wouldn't hate seeing Wegz at 1B though, always felt he's better off there than the OF.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, I don't see a position change coming now for Weglarz. Maybe they consider it in the offseason, but not now. Also fully expect him to go right to AAA once he gets a few EST games under his belt. Just deactivate Hodges/Head, or they create the spot by calling Huffman up (DFA Kearns).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby bmonnig » Thu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Good to see a solid start for Gardner today.
6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 5K, 12:0 GO/AO

Two doubles for Fedroff who is about as hot as can be and now has his average up to .352
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Not really a fan of Chen batting so low in the order. Should be 3-5 every game - 3rd most of the time.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby jellis » Sun May 22, 2011 1:10 pm

bmonnig wrote:Good to see a solid start for Gardner today.
6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 5K, 12:0 GO/AO

Two doubles for Fedroff who is about as hot as can be and now has his average up to .352


Fedroff was a guy I like when we drafted. The way he is finally hitting and at AA makes me wonder if he is not in line for the break out prospect of the year. Good pedigree and doing it at a high level. Thoughts?
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm

How about the start to the game for Matt Packer today?

18 straight strikes to start the game.... after 3 perfect innings (4K) he's made 25 pitches - 23 strikes!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Tue May 24, 2011 9:42 am

jellis wrote:Fedroff was a guy I like when we drafted. The way he is finally hitting and at AA makes me wonder if he is not in line for the break out prospect of the year. Good pedigree and doing it at a high level. Thoughts?


Fedroff is certainly off towards a good season, but his HR rate (especially for a corner OF) and the fact that he spent the entire season last year at Akron gives me some reservations. If he can perform in Columbus, then I'd find him more interesting as a prospect.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Prosecutor » Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 am

Fedroff's batting average is up over 100 points from last year with the same team and his OPS is up over 200 points. That's a huge jump and I'm skeptical that anybody improves that much from age 23 to 24. The power is no different - last year he had 4 HRs in 445 ABs; this year he has 2, so he's on pace for about 6-8 for the season.

I agree with art, you can't get too excited about a corner outfielder with zero power (OK, maybe Ichiro).

I expect his numbers will decline somewhat because I don't see anybody's average going up 100 points in one season. But I haven't seen him play and possibly he made some fundamental change in his hitting approach, so hopefully I'm wrong.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 24, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm in the same camp with Fedroff. Great to see, but I want to see how he finishes this season. Way a high rated prospect up until last year and struggled, so maybe last year was his off year and this year is not much different than his two previous years.....we'll see.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm

The concensus opinion has a corner fielder.. both infield and outfield should be manned and staffed as "power" positions.. at least, historically, While bucking the trend is a product of the players you have, I'll take four corner guys that hit .310 - .330 with 6-8 homers, 20 SB's and OBP's in the .400 range... all day long.. each and every year.

Fedroff is just putting the bat on the ball.. When you do that, good things happen...as they have for Timmy...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby pfstiller » Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 pm

I haven't check the thread for a long time. Good to see some of Erik's former teammates doing well up and down the organization. Erik (Erik Stiller RHP Akron 2008-2010) finished his career with the Astros' organization last year and
has moved on from baseball. He and his wife will be moving to London, England in a few months where he will begin
work with the business consulting firm BCG (Boston Consulting Group). Most of this year he has been in Nashville
working with an investment bank and more recently with a health care oriented start-up to raise venture capital.

Again wanted to say how much we appreciated the work Tony did in covering the Indians system. Best of luck to
him and the organization.

Peter Stiller
pfstiller
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby daingean » Thu May 26, 2011 2:23 pm

pfstiller wrote:I haven't check the thread for a long time. Good to see some of Erik's former teammates doing well up and down the organization. Erik (Erik Stiller RHP Akron 2008-2010) finished his career with the Astros' organization last year and
has moved on from baseball. He and his wife will be moving to London, England in a few months where he will begin
work with the business consulting firm BCG (Boston Consulting Group). Most of this year he has been in Nashville
working with an investment bank and more recently with a health care oriented start-up to raise venture capital.

Again wanted to say how much we appreciated the work Tony did in covering the Indians system. Best of luck to
him and the organization.

Peter Stiller


Best of luck To Erik and family.

Peter, my step-son is a HS baseball player (with at least college aspirations) and I know how parents basically pour themselves into their children's games. We hate to admit it but it all eventually comes to an end. Thanks for the update.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 pm

artgold wrote:
jellis wrote:Fedroff was a guy I like when we drafted. The way he is finally hitting and at AA makes me wonder if he is not in line for the break out prospect of the year. Good pedigree and doing it at a high level. Thoughts?


Fedroff is certainly off towards a good season, but his HR rate (especially for a corner OF) and the fact that he spent the entire season last year at Akron gives me some reservations. If he can perform in Columbus, then I'd find him more interesting as a prospect.

Fedroff is a stocky guy who looks like he should hit for power. Must be his swing plane. I haven't seen him since college but he played some CF for Carolina & actually ran pretty well for his size. Hope he keeps it up, we need all of the bats we can get.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 pm

pfstiller wrote:I haven't check the thread for a long time. Good to see some of Erik's former teammates doing well up and down the organization. Erik (Erik Stiller RHP Akron 2008-2010) finished his career with the Astros' organization last year and
has moved on from baseball. He and his wife will be moving to London, England in a few months where he will begin
work with the business consulting firm BCG (Boston Consulting Group). Most of this year he has been in Nashville
working with an investment bank and more recently with a health care oriented start-up to raise venture capital.

Again wanted to say how much we appreciated the work Tony did in covering the Indians system. Best of luck to
him and the organization.

Peter Stiller


I have always wondered when a minor league player realizes it is time to move on in life as the majors were just not going to happen for them. At the Captains games you can see who may "have it" and who simply does not. If I had the chance I would have given it a go - but athletes can tell when they simply are a cut below the ones who really do "have it".

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby jellis » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

pfstiller wrote:I haven't check the thread for a long time. Good to see some of Erik's former teammates doing well up and down the organization. Erik (Erik Stiller RHP Akron 2008-2010) finished his career with the Astros' organization last year and
has moved on from baseball. He and his wife will be moving to London, England in a few months where he will begin
work with the business consulting firm BCG (Boston Consulting Group). Most of this year he has been in Nashville
working with an investment bank and more recently with a health care oriented start-up to raise venture capital.

Again wanted to say how much we appreciated the work Tony did in covering the Indians system. Best of luck to
him and the organization.

Peter Stiller


I know the fans here wish him the best, I remember him as one of the super smart players we had in the system. I am sure he will move o9n to great things.
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 pm

3rd straight quality start for Matt Packer tonight - 7IP, 4H, 1R/ER, 3BB, 4K and, after a tough start to the year has lowered his ERA down to a strong 3.91

Aeros cruising 9-1 mid 7th.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Sat May 28, 2011 12:50 am

Odd stats for the streaky Matt McBride, in his past 10 games he is hitting .371./436/.686 and has no strikeouts in his last 40 plate appearances.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 am

artgold wrote:Odd stats for the streaky Matt McBride, in his past 10 games he is hitting .371./436/.686 and has no strikeouts in his last 40 plate appearances.

Did you notice that they put him behind the plate for a couple of innings? First time this season that I recall. Didn't see him do any workout at catcher in ST.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby artgold » Sat May 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Yes, I saw he caught in this game. Perhaps they view defensive flexibility as his only possible path to the majors.

I just dismissed it as a convenience thing for the club, rather than a possible change in his development path.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Nice bounceback from Gardner. Only the second game this year he has shown any command. And congrats to Miller on a victory in his first game at Akron on his personal "road to recovery".
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby wrestlecd4 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Was at the game today. Gardner and Surkamp (Richmond SP) had a very good pitchers duel going for 8 innings. Gardner has some good stuff. It was the first time that I had seen him in person so I dont want to be quick to judge him on just this one viewing. I am sure I will see him a couple more times this year. What I saw in this first viewing I was impressed with him. Also was a real treat getting to see Adam Miller in person. I am really pulling for him and hope he can make it to Cleveland this year.
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm
Location: Kent

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Gardner's sinking fastball is a thing of beauty.. it's a heavy ball..

+1 on Adam Miller's W.. another outing, another standout performance.. as long as his finger holds up, he could be the cinderella story of the year.. and the clock will be stuck at 11:58...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 am

Nothing more than an observation. There is not much in Akron that really begs for promotion IMO. No starter or position player overwhelms me but I really like Chen Lee to make the move to Columbus. Tony can cross check me on this but I felt he made excellent progress with his split this spring and my brother tells me he is really tough right now. I won't lose any sleep cutting one of the oldies from Columbus. Love those guys that throw strikes. :good:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:45 am

Weglarz activated in Akron
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:04 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Weglarz activated in Akron

Hey daz, how's things in London? Really do not expect either Weglarz or Johnson to hang in Akron all that long but it should be nice for the pitchers to have a couple of bats that have a clue what the bat is for, at least for a while. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest