Storylines: Morales finds surprising new home
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, June 7th.
- Kendrys Morales has finally signed, agreeing to a one-year deal with the Twins. The deal is still pending a physical and will be worth a prorated portion of $12 million, which comes out to about $7.5 million.
- Nick Swisher is scheduled to start a rehab assignment with Double-A Akron on Tuesday. If all goes well, Swisher could rejoin the Indians in Boston next week.
- Terry Francona told reporters that the ultimate goal for John Axford is still to have him return to the closer’s role at some point.
News and Notes
- Jim Callis of MLB.com reported that the Astros and top pick Brady Aiken are in agreement on a $6.5 million bonus. According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, the two sides are on the same page but have not officially agreed to a deal yet.
- According to Jon Morosi of FOX Sports, Padres’ outfielder Chris Denorfia has been a hot name in trade rumors and could be dealt this summer.
- The Rays designated reliever Josh Lueke for assignment to make room on the 25-man roster for pitcher Kirby Yates.
- Veteran starter Joel Pineiro signed a Minor League deal with the Angels.
He's getting better, much better, but not quite there yet.
As for Axford, he somehow managed to get out of the inning with 6 pitches and, from my perspective, looked awful. When he had any control at all, it was meatballs over the center of the plate. Ax is no where near ready to be an MLB closer.....he doesn't have the confidence at this point.