Storylines: Manny Ramirez lands surprising new gig
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, May 25th.
- The Cubs signed former Tribe slugger Manny Ramirez to a Minor League deal to be a player-coach with Triple A-Iowa. Chicago’s president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said that Ramirez “is not and will not be a fit on the Cubs major league roster”, but he believes that Manny is a nice fit as a mentor to the young hitters in the club’s Minor League system.
- Josh Beckett of the Dodgers threw his first career no-hitter, and the first no-hitter of the 2014 season. Beckett has undergone separate surgeries for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and a torn meniscus in his left knee over the past ten months.
- The plan for Jason Kipnis is that he will make one final rehab appearance with Triple-A Columbus on Monday before joining the Indians on Tuesday in Chicago.
News and Notes
- Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reported that if the Phillies decide to sell, they would consider moving Cliff Lee, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz, Marlon Byrd, Jonathan Papelbon, and others. Salisbury said that he has seen no evidence that the team would be willing to deal Chase Utley.
- According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, the Rangers inquired about Nationals’ first baseman Tyler Moore in the wake of the Prince Fielder injury.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe believes that the Pirates will likely be able to find a taker for a deal on recently designated for assignment starter Wandy Rodriguez.
- The Padres designated pitchers Billy Buckner and Blaine Boyer for assignment. The moves were made due to the need to clear roster spots for recently acquired reliever Troy Patton and recalled first baseman/outfielder Tommy Medica.
- Former Mets’ closer Frank Francisco elected for free agency after he was outrighted to Triple-A Charlotte by the White Sox.
- Lefty reliever Pedro Feliciano agreed to a Minor League deal with the Cardinals and will report to Triple-A Memphis.
- Toronto acquired Minor League catcher Hector Gimenez from the White Sox.