MLB News and Notes: The Tanaka sweepstakes begin
With the offseason now in full spring, news will continue to become more and more frequent. In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major signings or trades occurring on Thursday, there are no "Top Stories." Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the day's news and notes.
Here are the stories from Thursday, December 26th.
News and Notes
- By now, baseball followers know that on Christmas day, the Rakuten Golden Eagles decided that they will indeed post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. The posting began on Thursday morning and can run up to 30 days, until January 24th. Tanaka must sign with a team by that date. During this time, teams can bid on Tanaka and the highest bid(s) will have the right to try to sign the pitcher.
- In a poll done on MLBTradeRumors.com, readers voted the Yankees as an overwhelming favorite to land Tanaka.
- Drew Stubbs told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post that he had a feeling the Indians may trade him this offseason. Stubbs said that once the Rockies traded Dexter Fowler, he thought Colorado could be a potential trade fit.
- Lookout Landing's Scott Weber believes the Mariners should make a push for Tanaka. Weber also says that if not Tanaka, Seattle should take advantage of the slow developing market for Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun says the Orioles will focus on free agent starters Bronson Arroyoand A.J. Burnett rather than Jimenez, Matt Garza, or Ervin Santana.
- Buster Olney of ESPN wrote an article in which he ranked the top-10 lineups in baseball as of today. In his opinion, the Indians ranked seventh. Olney mentioned Cleveland as a sleeper team that could break out offensively. His top ten looked like this:
- St. Louis
- Los Angeles (AL)
- Kansas City
- New York (AL)
So who in their right mind thinks the Indians might pay $20 million, and then outbid the Yankees and the rest of MLB for this guy?
I don't remember Ichiro or Dice-K signing with Cleveland, for the same reason. We don't play in that league, financially.
Chris McGuinness -1b / OF the Tribes 2012 rule 5 draft pick from the Rangers has been DFA. Not sure if the Tribe has interest in McGuinness after signing David Cooper and Adams, but the Tribe could take a flier on him.
BTW Underwood's wife is very attractive, Galeti's story seems unlikely.
Yet again this year, just has it's been for the past two, most baseball talking heads are picking KC, not Cleveland, as Detroit's stalking horse to surprise in the American Central.
I also have a hard time buying the Rockies are better than either the Dodgers or even the Diamondbacks in the NL West.
Guess Olney has found a upper crust Medical Mary J Dispensory with a helacious Humidor and a Hot Tub Time Machine!
- matt "worst HR call ever, even worse than hawk harrelson" underwood.
I'll be spending the weekend with Keri Russell.