MLB News and Notes: Samardzija, Cubs working on extension
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major signings or trades occurring on Sunday, there are no "Top Stories." Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the day's news and notes.
Here are the stories from Sunday, January 12th.
News and Notes
- Patrick Mooney of CSN Chicago reported that the Cubs and Jeff Samardzija are still far apart in their contract extension talks, but the two have sides both hope they can eventually find common ground.
- Mooney also said that the Cubs are prepared to give Masahiro Tanaka a nine-figure deal, and the team does not plan to pursue Ervin Santana, Ubaldo Jimenez, or Matt Garza if they cannot land Tanaka.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported that two mystery teams have emerged as suitors for Bronson Arroyo, and one team may be willing to give Arroyo the three-year contract he's looking for.
- Cafardo also said that agent Scott Boras said that he has had active contact with 5-6 teams concerningStephen Drew.
- The Yankees agreed to a Minor League contract with infielder Scott Sizemore. Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweeted that Sizemore has opt-out dates of May 1st and August 1st if Sizemore is not on the Yankees 25-man roster. Sherman also tweeted that Sizemore had two Major League contract offers, but he felt he had a better opportunity with the Yankees.
- Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News tweeted that Mark Reynolds is unlikely to return to the Yankees, noting that New York is only offering Reynolds a Minor League deal.
- Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reported that the Yankees will not have a decision on how to handle the possibility of Alex Rodriguez attending Spring Training until they speak with the commissioner's office.
- John Lott of the National Post wrote an article describing new Indians closer John Axford's time with the Cardinals and what it taught him.
- Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer said the Indians may have a few million dollars left to spend, and the team may wait until close to Spring Training if a player they like is still on the market.
- Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas said Mitch Moreland told reporters that he is still not sure if he will be playing for the Rangers or some other team in 2014.
- As Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish tweeted, the last Major League contract signed was almost two weeks ago, on December 31st, by Jesse Crain (Astros).