Game Recaps 6/30
July 1, 2008
- C Yamid Haad has been activated by Buffalo, and C Armando Camacaro was placed on the disabled list on Friday.
- On Friday, Kinston starting pitcher Hector Rondon was selected to the World Team for the 2008 Futures Game.
- On Sunday, Buffalo activated right-hander Juan Rincon and placed first baseman Ryan Mulhern on disabled list.- On Monday, the Indians today agreed to terms with their 8th round selection in the 2008 First-year Player Draft, signing left-hander Eric Berger from the University of Arizona. The Indians have signed 15 of the top 21 picks.
- Kinston starting pitcher Josh Tomlin is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week and outfielder Jason Denham was the Carolina League Player of the Week.
- Akron outfielder Trevor Crowe was named Bank of America Eastern League Player of the Week on Monday for the week ending June 29th. It is the second consecutive week Crowe has won the award and is the third straight week an Akron player has claimed the honor as third baseman Wes Hodges won it for the week ending June 15th.
K-Tribe Loses 17-3
The Kinston Indians surrendered just their third loss of the second half dropping a 17-3 decision to the Potomac Nationals Monday night at Historic Grainger Stadium. The Nationals were all over Kinston pitching scoring in each of the first four innings, including a season-high nine runs given up by the K-Tribe in the fourth inning. Potomac hit five home runs in the game including two by Marvin Lowrance, and one each from former K-Triber Brian Finnegan and former East Carolina Pirate Trevor Lawhorn. Lawhorn went 3-for-5 with three runs scored. He is hitting .302 in his 16 games with Potomac so far this season.
The loss was the worst K-Tribe loss since a 21-8 pounding from Lynchburg back in 2005. The Indians gave up season highs in runs with 17, hits with 18, and home runs with five. Kinston's Carlton Smith (5-5) took the loss. Joe Norrito (6-1) got the win for Potomac.
The Indians will look to take the rubber game of the three game series in the battle of the two teams on top of their respectful divisions. The K-Tribe sends Jeanmar Gomez to do the hill on Tuesday night at 7:00 PM at Historic Grainger Stadium.
CAPTAINS RALLY TO BEAT SHOREBIRDS 4-2