Around the Farm: October 17, 2012
October 18, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Tyler Holt (LF, Scottsdale Scorpions): 1-for-4, BB. A solid game by Holt as he reached base in 2 of his 5 plate appearances. So far in 6 games in the AFL he is 5-for-15 with 3 walks good for a .444 on-base percentage and he also has 2 stolen bases, which is exactly what he needs to do as a top of the lineup threat.
- Shawn Armstrong (RP, Scottsdale Scorpions): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. Armstrong has now had 3 scoreless appearances in the AFL covering 3.2 innings and has allowed just 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 3 batters. He faced the minimum of three batters in his one inning of work on Wednesday evening and threw 8 of his 14 pitches for strikes.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrelles de Oriente): 1-for-4, R, BB, K. Diaz made his offseason debut and reached base twice and was his steady self defensively making all of the routine plays. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets with his team. He should get a lot of time as the regular shortstop since there are no high profile shortstops on the roster.
- Danny Salazar (RP, Tigres del Licey): 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 0 BB, 4 K. Salazar finished the regular season on an incredible roll going 4-0 with a 1.85 ERA in 6 starts for Double-A Akron after a late July callup. At least in the early going he has continued that roll pitching well in his two appearances in the DWL going 4.0 innings and allowing 1 run on 4 hits, 1 walk, and 4 strikeouts.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-2, R. Petit is worth keeping tabs on since he is still technically the property of the Indians for another few weeks. He is now 1-for-6 in two games out in Venezuela.
- Hector Rondon (RP, Leones del Caracas): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. Rondon had an interesting outing as he came in relief of the starter in the 5th inning with two on and two out and made just one pitch to get the third out on a line out to shortstop. As it turns out that one pitch was all he would end up throwing as he was replaced by a new pitcher the next inning. When you see him come out so quickly you immediately start to worry about an injury, but from the looks of it he probably was just taken out and did not get hurt. In any case, talk about a short night throwing just ONE pitch. That’s efficiency!
Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
I was just curious to see if that was different with regards to a guy like Rondon because of his injury issues...
Bill thanks for the kind words.....I know a lot of this stuff can be niche, but we are always looking to fill the gaps and also provide information on the Indians from the minors to bigs all season. Not just in-season, but ALL year. A lot of people have mailed it in for the offseason and will write here and there.....not us. We'll be here with a few postings EVERY DAY this offseason. Thanks again for the support and for reading.
As for your question on Rondon's future, he is simply a pen arm from what I understand right now. Coming off two serious elbow injuries and so much lost time and development, the Indians are going to try and salvage anything they can get from him at this point and just use him in the pen.
I can honestly say thank you to this site for posting real Indians information, and not just throwing up the kitchen sink just to get views. You guys have a site to be proud up, and I'm sure the Indians take notice..
Salazar continues to be a big-time watch for the tribe...lets hope this roll he's on is permanent...