Around the Farm: May 7th
May 8, 2011
Bo Greenwell-LF, Kinston: 4-for-5, R, HR, RBI, 2B, 3B, BB
Between the double-header, Bo Greenwell hit for the cycle against Potomac. Greenwell had two htis in each game and he hit his second home run of the season and first triple. Greenwell leads the team in average, on-base percentage, and co-leads in RBI. His average is seventh in the Carolina League.
Clayton Cook-SP, Kinston: 5 IP, W (1), 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K
In his second victory of the season, Clayton Cook allowed just five base runners and struck out six, without walking one to pitch five shutout innings. Cook is an out shy of the team lead in innings pitched with Drew Pomeranzs and after his outing is second in strikeouts as well. Cook matched his season high in strikeouts and didn't walk a hitter for the first time this season.
- Tim Fedroff-LF, Akron: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI: The Aeros left fielder has now collected at least two hits in three straight games and has knocked in a run in five of his last six.
- Chun Chen-C, Akron: 1-for-4, R, 2 K: After an incredible hot streak, Chen has cooled off and hasn't knocked in a run in his last four games. He has just two hits in 14 at-bats.
- Matt McBride-1B, Akron: 2-for-4, R: McBride has four straight games of going 2-for-4 with a run scored, however his home run streak ended against Trenton.
- Kyle Bellows-3B, Akron: 2-for-4, RBI: Scuffling Kyle Bellows added two hits to bring his average to .188 on the season.
- Joe Gardner-SP, Akron: 4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 4 K: Coming off one of the shortest starts of his pro career, Gardner again could not crack five innings completed as he gave up just another run off two hits and four walks. The good news is that Gardner hasn't been shelled, but he hasn't gone further than five innings in any of his four starts.
- Nick Hagadone-RP, Akron: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 2 K: Wait, he's human? Nick Hagadone not only gave up his first runs of the season, he walked two hitters (double his total coming into the game) and took his first loss. He's still lighting up opposing batters, but a bump in the road for Hagadone may be good to see how he bounces back.
- Matt Langwell-RP, Akron: 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K: Langwell has pitched well for the Aeros this season. He's given up one run in 10 innings for the Aeros and added three more strikeouts in two scoreless innings Saturday.
- Bo Greenwell-LF, Kinston: 4-for-5, R, HR, RBI, 2B, 3B, BB: Between the double-header, Bo Greenwell hit for the cycle against Potomac. Greenwell had two htis in each game and he hit his second home run of the season and first triple.
- Chase Burnette-1B, Kinston: 1-for-3, R, HR, RBI, K: After hitting nine home runs between Mahoning Valley and Lake County last season in 72 games, it took 25 for Burnette to finally hit his first home run for Kinston.
- Adam Abraham-3B, Kinston: 0-for-2, 2 R, 2 BB: Abraham walked twice and has now matched his walk total to his strikeout total on the season at 17.
- Jason Smit-DH/1B, Kinston: 1-for-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB: Picking up where he left off in Lake County, freshly promoted Jason Smit notched another hit and walked twice in the two games for Kinston. With Lake he carried a .344 average and a .450 OBP with a pair of home runs and 11 RBI.
- Dan DeGeorge-3B, Kinston: 2-for-3, 2 RBI: Sub Dan DeGeorge nothced two hits and is hitting .304 coming off the bench. He has now knocked in all his runs in the past four games.
- Justin Toole-2B, Kinston: 1-for-5, RBI, K: Toole is hitting .295 on the season with nine RBI. His five game hit-streak came to an end, but he started a new on in the second game.
- Drew Pomeranz-SP, Kinston: 5 IP, W (1), 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 K: Finally, Drew Pomeranz notches his first professional win by going five scoreless innings. He struck out eight to run his total on the season to 42 strikeouts in 28.1 innings.
- Toru Murata-RP, Kinston: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K: Toru Murata struck out a pair in his fourth appearance for Kinston. This was his shortest outing of the season and he's struck out 19 hitters in 10 innings.
- Jesus Aguilar-1B, Lake County: 1-for-3, R, RBI, 2 K: Aguilar can hit the home runs but he can certainly whiff too. Aguilar has struck out 26 times and has recorded his third multi-strikeout game in his last ten games. At least they come in bunches?
- Anthony Gallas-LF, Lake County: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, K: Hot-hitting Anthony Gallas has now run his hit-streak up to nine with his second multi-hit game in a row. Gallas leads the team with 13 doubles on the season.
- Argenis Martinez-2B, Lake County: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBI, BB: Martinez knocked in two runs on Saturday and has now reached base safely in nine straight games.
- Nick Bartolone-SS, Lake County: 1-for-4, 2 RBI: The second multi-RBI game of his season, Bartolone is still hitting .175 on the season.
- Steven Wright-SP, Lake County: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 6 K: The knuckleball tour continues for Wright and while he only gave up two runs in six innings and put his team in a position to win, he did walk five hitters. Wright also struck out the most hitters and went furthest into the game that he has all year.