Around the Farm: January 4, 2013
January 5, 2013
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS, Leones del Caracas): 3-for-5, 2 RBI. Cabrera led Leones del Caracas with three hits Friday, and the switch-hitting shortstop was also a big reason as to why the team earned a 6-5 win. In 13 games, Cabrera has now gone 17-for-56.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-4. Carrera went hitless on Friday, but his team was still victorious, earning a 5-0 win over Aguilas del Zulia. Overall, Carrera has gone 34-for-123 this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (SS, Toros del Este): 1-for-5. Ramirez has cooled down significantly at the plate, but the amazing thing is that he still seems to manage to get on base at least once a game. Even when he struggles, he is able to help his team, which says a lot about the type of value that he could have moving forward.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K. The string of scoreless appearances continues for Bryson. The right-hander has been some kind of hot this winter and has now pitched 16 1/3 innings while allowing only six hit and no runs. He seems to have been passed over in the Major League pecking order, but it’s hard not to be impressed by what he’s managed to put together this winter.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-3, 1 BB. Friday’s performance was somewhat of an anomaly for Campbell this winter as he’s really been outstanding so far in the ABL. Even with the hitless performance, Campbell has still gone 29-for-97 (.299) in 28 games, which is pretty impressive.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.