Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 0-for-4, 1 K: McDade had his five game hit streak broken in which he had gone 7-for-16, so this was a blip on the radar of a hot week. It’s hard to say where McDade figures into the 2013 season, but he does appear to have some offensive capability.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 0-for-4, 1 RBI, 2 K: This is about as close to a slump as you can get for Ramirez, who has now gone 2-for-19 in his last four ballgames. You have to imagine that stamina is playing a small part in all this, but he IS still hitting .315. Some slump.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB: Santana seems to be coasting a bit with the bat, but he’s been playing better of late. His hit today was his fourth in three games, and he’s 7-for-19 in his last five ballgames, and eight for 22 in his last six, after going 0-for-13 in his previous four ballgames.
- Chad Huffman (LF, Toros del Este): 0-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K: Huffman has had a nice Winter League season, and is a good edition to any minor league system, hitting .303 in 11 games. That’s all he is at this point though.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina) 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R/1 ER, 1 K: Langwell gave up only his second run in 11 Winter League games, and while the righty isn’t considered an elite arm, he sure has put up elite numbers. He’s definitively is a sleeper in 2013, and don’t be surprised if he doesn’t find himself playing for the big league club before the year is out.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (DH, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-5, 2 K: Campbell’s hot start has been tempered by a four-game stretch in which he’s gone 2-for-15. Campbell is a marginal prospect at best, but has been playing some inspired baseball during the Australian League season.
- Ryan Battaglia (C, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-2, 2 BB, 1 K: Battaglia has really been picking up his game of late, going 6-for-14, with three runs, two doubles, a triple, a homer and four RBI over his last four games.
Jim is currently the co-site editor, the ATF/Carolina Mudcats/Indians/General Site Columnist, and the co-host of IPI's weekly online radio show, Smoke Signals. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IPI, or contact him via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.