Around the Farm: August 20
August 21, 2010
Jason Knapp-SP, Lake County: 4 IP, 2 BB, 7 K.
Dominating effort for Knapp in his full season debut for the Captains, going four hitless innings and allowing just 2 baserunners via the walk. Knapp struck out half the batters he faced, and only 3 Bowling Green batters hit the ball out of the infield. Knapp has true ace potential, and he is one of the most important players in the Indians system going forward. If he is healthy, he's an impact arm that can anchor a staff. Remember, Knapp doesn't turn 20 until the end of the month, so if he pitches in Kinston next year as expected, he's still ahead of the developmental curve for most prospects.
- Vinnie Pestano-RP, Columbus: IP, H, K. 16 K over his last 10 innings, positioning himself for a September audition.
- Cord Phelps-2B, Columbus: 2-5, RBI. After hitting .261 with 4 HR last year in Kinston, Phelps is now up to .311 with 8 HR in 2010 between Akron and Columbus.
- Josh Rodriguez-SS, Columbus: 2-4, 2B, R, K. Batting just .169 in August.
- Alex White-SP, Akron: 5 1/3 IP, 8 H, 4 R (2 ER), 5 K, 3 BB. Not dominating, but not bad. After 2 poor starts to open the month, White has bounced back in his past two outings to allow 3 ER and strike out 8 in 11 1/3 IP.
- Connor Graham-RP, Akron: 1 2/3 IP, 3 K. Continuing to pitch well, Graham struck out 3 of the 5 batters he faced without allowing a hit.
- Chen Lee-RP, Akron: IP, K. Yet another scoreless outing for the Taiwanese Terror.
- Lonnie Chisenhall-3B, Akron: 1-3, K. Now up to an eight game hitting streak for the Chizz.
- Tim Fedroff-OF, Akron: 2-3, HR (3), RBI, R. Fedroff had half of the Aeros 4 hits, as well as the only RBI and run scored yesterday when his solo HR in the 5th broke up a no-no.
- Corey Burns-RP, Kinston: S, IP, K. Just another save for Mr. Automatic, who is now 37-39 in save opportunities between Lake County and Kinston this year.
- Chun Chen-C, Kinston: 2-5, R, 2 K. Chun is 11-24 during the 8-game hitting streak he has going.
- Kyle Bellows-3B, Kinston: 2-4, RBI, R, K. Bellows is consistent, hitting .266 in August after posting a .265 mark in July.
- Abner Abreu-OF, Kinston: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, R, 2 K. One of my biggest disappointments in 2010, as injuries and ineffectiveness have limited Abreu to a .624 OPS on the season. His OBP is just .276.
- Casey Frawley-SS, Lake County: 3-3, HR (10), RBI, BB, 2 R, SB. Frawley popped the go-ahead HR in the 7th as part of his big day.
- Alex Kaminsky-SP, Mahoning Valley: 2 2/3 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 2 K, BB. Fresh off his feature article on IPI, Kaminsky has his worst start of the season, giving up 2 HR.
- Carlos Moncrief-OF, Mahoning Valley: 3-5, 2B, RBI. Moncrief has shown an advanced approach in his last 10 games, walking 8 times against 6 strikeouts and posting a .435 OBP out of the leadoff spot.
- Alex Lavisky-C, AZL Indians: 0-2, 2 K. The 8th round bonus baby is now 0-6 with 5 K in Arizona. What a bust.
- LeVon Washington-OF, AZL Indians: 1-1, RBI, SB. Solid debut for the 2nd round OF.
- Tony Wolters-SS, AZL Indians: 1-1, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SB. Even better debut for the 3rd round SS.
- Juan Romero-DH, AZL Indians: 4-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI, R. Big day for the 17-year old 3B. Still only hitting .220 on the season, but showing some pop with 5 HR.