Around the Farm: August 16
August 17, 2010
Short list as Columbus, Akron, and Mahoning Valley were all off last night.
Cory Burns - RP, Kinston: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
Burns puts forth yet again another dominant outing from the bullpen as he struckout the side for his 23rd Carolina League save and 35th overall this year between Kinston and Lake County. He has had a very nice season with a 1.94 ERA and .205 BAA, as well as 13 walks and 68 strikeouts in 46.1 innings this year. He is not overpowering anyone by any means, but his excellent command, funky delivery, and secondary stuff have given Single-A hitters fits. After now dominating at all three Single-A levels (Kinston and Lake County this year, and Mahoning Valley last year), it will be interesting to see how he fares in the upper levels next season (maybe even this season still).
- Joe Gardner - SP, Kinston: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 4 BB, 5 K. Tough night with the control as he also hit three batters. Worked out of trouble every inning but did not fold.
- Chun Chen - C, Kinston: 2-for-3, RBI, BB, K. Now hitting .300.403/.445 in 32 games at Kinston, and .308/.381/.494 overall this year. Breakout year.
- Juan Diaz - SS, Kinston: 2-for-4. Slowly putting it together finally hitting .313/.327/.354 in August. Still no pop though.
- Trey Haley - SP, Lake County: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R/ER, 2 BB, 7 K, HR. Improved command, but again can't avoid the big inning.
- Greg Folgia - OF, Lake County: 5-for-7, 2 R, RBI, 2 K. Career 5-hit night, and really coming on hitting .333/.372/.477 in last 37 games.
- Jason Smit - OF, Lake County: 4-for-6, 2 R, 2 2B, 3 RBI, SB. Currently in midst of 8-game hitting streak.
- Kyle Smith - SS, Lake County: 3-for-6, R, 2B, 2 RBI, K. Scrappy defender contributes with the bat.
- Marcus Bradley - OF, Arizona: 0-for-4, BB, 3 K. Rough start to pro career for raw prospect signed to six figure bonus. Hitting just 5-for-16 in 5 games.
- Aaron Siliga - OF, Arizona: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, K. Doesn't turn 18 until next week, but having promising pro debut hitting .267/.315/.389.
- Daniel Jimenez - RHP, Arizona: 5.0 IP, 11 H, 6 R (5 ER), HR, 0 BB, 2 K. Rough game, and has been prone to hits all year (55 H, 46.0 IP, .294 AVG) but a nice 6 BB to 34 K ratio.