Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Indians lose Reid Santos

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 am

LHP REID SANTOS has been claimed off outright waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby webba2000 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 am

I really do not get this.

Last December we did put him on the 40men roster to protect him form the RuleV draft and now put him on waivers....so we lost Barton, now we lose him...What's the sense?

Ahh now I get it...we have Rincon and Donnelly.

Bye from Italy.
Keep up the good work and the wonderful radio show.
webba2000
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Turin, Italy

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby artgold » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:50 am

His Buffalo work doomed him. If he were younger, I don't think they would have let him go, but he is now 26 years old, and was absolutely killed in Buffalo.

Lefthanders hit .382 off of him, and going back down to Akron at this point really didn't salvage this season. He may still stick in the majors in some kind of marginal LOOGY way, but appears to be a fairly fungible asset.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby dnosco » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm

I agree with Art. Had it not been for his Buffalo work he would have probably still been here.

That being said, I have to question the following things regarding lack of September callups:

No Santos or Snyder? My guess is that the Indians' braintrust thought they could sneak these guys through waivers now. Both had one more year left before they became 6-year free agents. Hey, Indians, think smarter next time!

No Scott Roehl? No Randy Newsom? Yeah, if you roster them you may have to remove them later but, like Santos and Snyder, it would be nice to see what they could do in the majors. I think both (along with JD Martin, who WILL be a 6-year free agent after this year) are ready for their first ML experience.

No Trevor Crowe? At least give the guy a few ABs, let him be in the locker room to see how guys carry themselves, get their work in.

Plus we have Rincon and Donnelly getting innings...and Dellucci ABs! Doesn't seem to make sense to me. I mean, this IS open tryout time, isn't it?
dnosco
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby npc29 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Wow, who's next? I'm not really surprised by Snyder, considering we have guys like Crowe and LaPorta with more upside, but Santos is a bit of a shocker.
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby jellis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 pm

I am glad to see this santos couldnt cut it in AAA and really had nu business being on the 40 man glad to see him off it and Synder who has basically become a poor mans bruce aven in terms of a guy whose always going to be in AAA, those 40 man spots are huge cause this team could get nailed in the rule 5
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby artgold » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 pm

I was a supporter for Newsom prior to this season, but his frankly his WHIP, BB/K and IP/BB rates were just awful this season. Keep in mind that the vast majority of his work was in Akron.

I really can't say the Indians have made a mistake in not calling him up this September. Like Santos, his body of work this year doesn't appear to have earned a promotion, and he turns 27 shortly after the start of next season.

I liked him a bit, but now I'm glad I didn't buy any shares in his future.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

jellis wrote:I am glad to see this santos couldnt cut it in AAA and really had nu business being on the 40 man glad to see him off it and Synder who has basically become a poor mans bruce aven in terms of a guy whose always going to be in AAA, those 40 man spots are huge cause this team could get nailed in the rule 5


Hey Jellis,
I think there is a GM rule that says if you have a LH reliever who can breathe and has even the slimmest hope of reaching the ML, you have to protect him. Simply put, there was that slim hope last year. Not so this year so no big whoop!

What does September callups have to do with Reid Santos? Try to stay on point, dennis! Free speech is OK and you are entitiled to your opinions but if your sole contribution is to Indian bash, do it elsewhere, please. This is such a great place to talk because it does not have posters who have an agenda that includes telling everyone how smart they are and how stupid everyone in the Cleveland organization is. BTW, if you haven't guessed, I think your rationale regarding callups needs some work.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby jellis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Valid point ink, we have had one guy from my high school ever pitch in the majors and he lasted for ever, he was a LH reliever so he always found a job. I agree with Dennis on certain things like newson should be given a chance and martin should too as i would love to keep them both. I think Crowe isnt ready for the majors and wouldn't want to push him too hard, he finally showed signs this year, and Santos and Synder had done nothing to show they are major league players, so I view losing them as encouraging with any luck this means they aren't afraid to cut dead weight can anyone say dellucci
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm

npc29 wrote:Wow, who's next? I'm not really surprised by Snyder, considering we have guys like Crowe and LaPorta with more upside, but Santos is a bit of a shocker.


I believe Santos was removed simply because Rundles replaced him in value.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:34 pm

artgold wrote:I was a supporter for Newsom prior to this season, but his frankly his WHIP, BB/K and IP/BB rates were just awful this season. Keep in mind that the vast majority of his work was in Akron.

I really can't say the Indians have made a mistake in not calling him up this September. Like Santos, his body of work this year doesn't appear to have earned a promotion, and he turns 27 shortly after the start of next season.

I liked him a bit, but now I'm glad I didn't buy any shares in his future.


I agree somewhat here, although would still have preferred to see him get a look this Aug/Sept. But they may be by design as the Indians may believe he is not Rule 5 material and don't want to roster him now when he will likely be depth at the Triple-A level next year. He has an outside shot at getting selected, but teams may shy away for the reasons you suggested Art.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm

dnosco wrote:That being said, I have to question the following things regarding lack of September callups:

No Santos or Snyder? My guess is that the Indians' braintrust thought they could sneak these guys through waivers now. Both had one more year left before they became 6-year free agents. Hey, Indians, think smarter next time!

No Scott Roehl? No Randy Newsom? Yeah, if you roster them you may have to remove them later but, like Santos and Snyder, it would be nice to see what they could do in the majors. I think both (along with JD Martin, who WILL be a 6-year free agent after this year) are ready for their first ML experience.

No Trevor Crowe? At least give the guy a few ABs, let him be in the locker room to see how guys carry themselves, get their work in.

Plus we have Rincon and Donnelly getting innings...and Dellucci ABs! Doesn't seem to make sense to me. I mean, this IS open tryout time, isn't it?


Using guys like Rincon and Donnelly make sense right now to see if there is any value for next year. But, the problem here is that Rincon has proven he is not worth keeping around and Donnelly is still not 100%. I actually would like to see them bring back Donnelly on an NRI deal for spring training....so my hope here is that by keeping him on the roster the rest of the season and letting him rehab all year in Florida that the Indians and Donnelly have built up enough rapport with one another to get that kind of deal done this offseason. Rincon I would be fine with giving an NRI spot to, but I seriously would have rather we shut him and Donnelly down these last few weeks and maybe give someone else a shot. Sort of a Catch 22 I guess. I have no problems not using Newsom, Roehl, Santos, etc.....but for the life of me I can't figure out why Stevens is not here getting some work in and popping his major league cherry. Also more work for Meloan (the IP excuse they have stated to me is lame).

Dellucci, he's a guy they stuck with all year so no need to dump now. And might as well play him to see if he can do anything to help his trade value in the offseason. Would have preferred Crowe be here instead, but it is not that big of a deal to me. But to not use guys like Meloan and Stevens who figure to be much used next year is insane I tell you! :roll:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I am not sure why you are so surprised about Stevens and Meloan. Stevens has been bounced around all year and promoting him to Cleveland and expecting him to perform might be a real stretch for a guy that young with so little experience in the upper minors. Meloan is just as simple. He has just switched back to relief and has a good future with the Tribe. Why overwork him when it means nothing. He has already seen the majors. Don't think you learn that much with a few extra innings in September. Just an opinion. :?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby dnosco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
jellis wrote:I am glad to see this santos couldnt cut it in AAA and really had nu business being on the 40 man glad to see him off it and Synder who has basically become a poor mans bruce aven in terms of a guy whose always going to be in AAA, those 40 man spots are huge cause this team could get nailed in the rule 5


Hey Jellis,
I think there is a GM rule that says if you have a LH reliever who can breathe and has even the slimmest hope of reaching the ML, you have to protect him. Simply put, there was that slim hope last year. Not so this year so no big whoop!

What does September callups have to do with Reid Santos? Try to stay on point, dennis! Free speech is OK and you are entitiled to your opinions but if your sole contribution is to Indian bash, do it elsewhere, please. This is such a great place to talk because it does not have posters who have an agenda that includes telling everyone how smart they are and how stupid everyone in the Cleveland organization is. BTW, if you haven't guessed, I think your rationale regarding callups needs some work.


Let's keep the discussion on task and not get into personal attacks. People here know your MO against me and the way to keep the discussion civil is to keep your attacks off this site.

No reason not to bring up Santos. Yeah, he struggled in his first real attempt at AAA. I will give the Indians credit that they know when a guy is not major league material but haven't we given them that credit before only to be instantly.

And yes on Stevens. While you can always come up with reasons to do or not do something, the point is that a number of us expect (a) Stevens to be part of the 2009 Tribe and (b) for the Indians to stop bringing in broken down veterans for the bullpen who only eat up salary, possibly cost us a draft choice, and give us no production.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Re: Indians lose Reid Santos

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:46 pm

dnosco wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
jellis wrote:I am glad to see this santos couldnt cut it in AAA and really had nu business being on the 40 man glad to see him off it and Synder who has basically become a poor mans bruce aven in terms of a guy whose always going to be in AAA, those 40 man spots are huge cause this team could get nailed in the rule 5


Hey Jellis,
I think there is a GM rule that says if you have a LH reliever who can breathe and has even the slimmest hope of reaching the ML, you have to protect him. Simply put, there was that slim hope last year. Not so this year so no big whoop!

What does September callups have to do with Reid Santos? Try to stay on point, dennis! Free speech is OK and you are entitiled to your opinions but if your sole contribution is to Indian bash, do it elsewhere, please. This is such a great place to talk because it does not have posters who have an agenda that includes telling everyone how smart they are and how stupid everyone in the Cleveland organization is. BTW, if you haven't guessed, I think your rationale regarding callups needs some work.


Let's keep the discussion on task and not get into personal attacks. People here know your MO against me and the way to keep the discussion civil is to keep your attacks off this site.

No reason not to bring up Santos. Yeah, he struggled in his first real attempt at AAA. I will give the Indians credit that they know when a guy is not major league material but haven't we given them that credit before only to be instantly.

And yes on Stevens. While you can always come up with reasons to do or not do something, the point is that a number of us expect (a) Stevens to be part of the 2009 Tribe and (b) for the Indians to stop bringing in broken down veterans for the bullpen who only eat up salary, possibly cost us a draft choice, and give us no production.


Dennis, I agree with you about personal attacks. However, I do not look at disagreeing with you and your methodology as a personal attack. Nor do I feel that pointing out your tendency to turn many postings into the failures of the Indian organization to measure up to your personal evaluations as anything but fair game. The reality is that you engaged in serious personal attacks when I disagreed with you on the draft and found your reliance upon BA to be a limiting factor to complete analysis of prospects. Be that as it may, I cannot say I can relate to the complete public humiliation you have suffered on a number of occasions in the past three months. That has never happened to me. But I can empathize with the sensitivity to any criticism after the buttkicking you have received so I will try to limit my responses to those occasions where critcism is muted. It would be real difficult for an adult to endure what you have gone through, but that is even more exacerbated in an adolescent. To paraphrase a very wise person, "only someone who does the same thing over and over and expects different results can truly understand futility". For my part, that is enough said on the subject! You are welcome to the final word, if you wish.

That being said, I really do not understand your point on Santos. It seems like the last sentence is incomplete but i cannot figure out what you are trying to say.

With regard to Stevens, I think it is easily explainable but understand if you disagree. However, you called this "open" tryouts and the Indians sure need some veteran help in the pen. Not greatly impressed with Donnelly/rincon either but it seems like an ideal time to try them out. Neither costs more money than anyone else and there is NO draft choices involved. If production in our pen is an issue, that ship sailed long ago. :)
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm


Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron