RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

National media

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

National media

Postby jellis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 pm

I know we all put a lot of links or comments from the national media up on these boards so I thought maybe they could have there own topic.

This comes for Keith Law's blog on the AFL today

• Cleveland third baseman Wes Hodges showed line-drive power and plenty of hard contact, with no trouble catching up to good fastballs. He's very rough at third base; I'd say he doesn't have a position, but he's a Gold Glover compared to Beau Mills, who was disappointing, with average pull power at best and a slight collapse as he swings, leading to a lot of pop-ups. Also, left-hander Chuck Lofgren has slipped to non-prospect status; he was 85-88 with 30 command and no life on Saturday after giving up six runs on three hits and three walks in one-third of an inning earlier in the week.

• Speaking of Cleveland, the player the Indians didn't choose to complete the Sabathia trade, Taylor Green, can really hit, but he's very rough at third base and may end up in the outfield. The player Cleveland did take, Mike Brantley, was pulled from the AFL and replaced by Milwaukee outfielder Lorenzo Cain, a toolsy hitter with some upside; he has good bat speed and strong wrists, but his swing is complex and doesn't keep his weight back to maximize his power.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: National media

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:33 pm

Wow, those are not encouraging words on Lofgren.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Left-handed pitchers are nuts
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

I think the days of Lofgren as a starter are about over. He'll most likely make the transition to the bully next year and see how that goes. He is still only 22 and is left-handed and used to throw mid90s, so you can't cast that away yet. But you better believe next year is a big year for him. I still think once he has time to site down and detox from this crazy season with the bad numbers and personal issues, that he will bounce back next year. Not bounce back as in a great year, but a solid season.

Unfortunately, while I think he can bounce back in the Akron bully next year, I think he has about nil chance to pitch in the majors at this point. And speaking of that, will be exposed to the Rule 5 Draft this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:13 pm

Consigliere wrote:I think the days of Lofgren as a starter are about over. He'll most likely make the transition to the bully next year and see how that goes. He is still only 22 and is left-handed and used to throw mid90s, so you can't cast that away yet. But you better believe next year is a big year for him. I still think once he has time to site down and detox from this crazy season with the bad numbers and personal issues, that he will bounce back next year. Not bounce back as in a great year, but a solid season.

Unfortunately, while I think he can bounce back in the Akron bully next year, I think he has about nil chance to pitch in the majors at this point. And speaking of that, will be exposed to the Rule 5 Draft this year.

I agree I doubt you can protect him at this point, wasnt he also considered by many teams an excellent hitter when he was drafted if he fails to recover could switch him back to a hitter?
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Law took a lot of indians questions here are the spec related ones

Josh (Cleveland): I saw you were down on Beau Mills after watching him. What were the problems? He seemed to fair pretty well in a predominantly pitchers league this year.

SportsNation Keith Law: At best, he's a bad defensive first baseman with average power. There's a good chance he's a DH with average power, and that's just not a great prospect. I thought he'd show more raw power than this as he got older/stronger, but he hasn't.

Brett (WI): Keith, where do you think LaPorta should rank going into next year? Top 10 prospect a reach?

SportsNation Keith Law: Top 10 overall? No way.

Brett (WI): No, not overall! I meant in Cleveland's system, but upon furthur review I suppose the only guys who'd possibly be in front of him are Santana & Mills. Maybe Miller if he wasn't always hurt. So can I rephrase? Is LaPorta a top 5 in Cleveland's system?

SportsNation Keith Law: OK, yes, absolutely top 5 in Cleveland ... I'd have him over Mills. LaPorta is probably top 2, since I wouldn't rank him behind Huff.

Dave, Buffalo NY: Your earlier comment on Mills, is he Ryan Garko in the majors?

SportsNation Keith Law: This is my fear.

Ryan (Mass): Laporta 1B or Lars Anderson 1B?

SportsNation Keith Law: I'll almost certainly rank Lars over LaPorta.

Gary (Ottawa): Which prospects are most likely to make the most impact in 2009?

SportsNation Keith Law: Wieters, Price, Rasmus, LaPorta, Schlereth.

Jon V. (Cleveland, OH): Would O Hudson and A Cabrera be the best defensive 2B/SS combo in baseball?

SportsNation Keith Law: Every defensive metric I've seen had Hudson below the median this year at 2b

Jon V. (Cleveland, OH): Keith: saw your AFL blurb on the Indians' participants - are they going to run into a problem down the road with Mills, LaPorta, and Hodges all destined for 1B?

SportsNation Keith Law: One can DH. You could probably put Hodges in left. I admit that that is a bad defensive club, especially if Peralta's at short.

Jack (Lexington, Virginia): I know you've gotten a lot of Tribe questions today, but one more--where do Weglarz and Huff rank overall? (not just in Cleveland's system)--are both in the top 100? top 50? What do you expect from them going forward? Thanks-

SportsNation Keith Law: You know, you're right, Weglarz is at least top 3 in that system. I like him over LaPorta long-term.

In case people want to read but dont care for the rest
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby gorman8621 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Umm wasn't Mills one of the top 3 HR guys in the Carolina League? The guy did very well in a pitchers league and just turned 22. Very little substance in the guys evaluation...take it with a grain of salt.
gorman8621
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:42 pm

gorman8621 wrote:Umm wasn't Mills one of the top 3 HR guys in the Carolina League? The guy did very well in a pitchers league and just turned 22. Very little substance in the guys evaluation...take it with a grain of salt.

he was tied for first, but you never know about power I mean Scott Morgan or Danny Peoples actually put up better HR totals at about the same age I think and neither ever turned into anything
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jhonny » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:37 pm

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/ba ... AR&sort=HR

Ten years ago, four players hit over 20 HRs in the Carolina League: Mike Glavine, Jose Leon, Mike Hessman, and Joe Crede. The rest of the leaderboard is not a who's who either. You never know with power.
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:13 am

or theres the other end where a guy like Miggy never even had double digit HRs in his 3 years in the minors, I like mills but hes not going to but hes not a huge talent hes not going to make any top 100's and in the future not taking heyward is really going to look dumb
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:20 pm

BEST LATE-ROUND PICK
Above Slot Bonuses
1. J.P. Ramirez, of, Nationals (15)
2. Quinton Miller, rhp, Pirates (20)
3. T.J. House, lhp, Indians (16)
4. Garrison Lassiter, ss, Yankees (27)
5. Juan Carlos Sulbaran, rhp, Reds (30)

only Indians mentioned in the baseball America draft review kind of sad that chisenhall couldn't make the top 5 of juco players though
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk