RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Let's go Brewers!

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Let's go Brewers!

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:35 pm

I really can't believe that Shapiro agreed to a trade where the Brewers get to pick who the Indians receive if they (the Brewers) don't make the playoffs. The PTBN was supposed to be the "2nd most valuable" piece of the Sabathia trade. It's been speculated that two of the players on the list are Brantley and Green. Brantley seems like an interesting player, but Green seems at least 2 years away. Any thoughts on who else might be on that list? :?:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Let's go Brewers!

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:43 pm

There are rumors that 4 names on the list and not 2. If there are 4, its my guess that Lucroy (a catcher at the Lake County/ Low A level) can be on the listing. Another tidbit floating out there that the PTBNL list is made up of position players only. Beyond Lucroy, don't know a 4th name but it can be argued that any of the 3 (Green, Brantley or Lucroy) would be a good addition to the depth of the Tribe farm system.

One other point to consider- Rob Bryson is not 'chopped liver' as a prospect. If Bryson is 3rd on list in value added and LaPorta is 1st on the list, the take from the trade should be pretty good.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 am

I don't think this is set in stone with the PTBNL stipulation rumored by Hoynes last week where if the Brewers make the playoffs the Indians get to pick the prospect and if the Brewers miss the playoffs the Brewers get to pick the prospect (in both cases the team picks from a pre-agreed list of players).

Shapiro said on the day of the CC trade the PBTNL was from a list of two players and that they would have until the end of the season to decide on that player. Brantley and Green have from day one been rumored as being the two players.

There has been rumors that it may be a list of 3-4 players....but the Indians have not commented otherwise still. So, for now I am still going with the notion that it is a list of two players and there are no wild stipulations to the deal. In any case, it looks like we are about two weeks from resolving this intriguing issue.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:11 pm

I would think Cain is another possible guy on the list as he was pat of the original rumor
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Timmyb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 pm

The agent for both Brantly and Green had this to say about the PTBNL.

http://39ontheline.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... ndeed.html

Timmyb
Timmyb
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 am

Timmyb wrote:The agent for both Brantly and Green had this to say about the PTBNL.

Timmyb

Yeah, I have talked to Josh on several occassions. He is the agent for Brantley and Green.

I still believe it comes down to one of those two.....
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Timmyb wrote:The agent for both Brantly and Green had this to say about the PTBNL.

Timmyb

Yeah, I have talked to Josh on several occassions. He is the agent for Brantley and Green.

I still believe it comes down to one of those two.....

I agree with you about Brantley and Green being the two. I just wish I could come up with a justification for Brantley, who is probably the better prospect, but not necessarily the best for the Indians. Based on the fact that the Brewers removed him from their AFL roster, that is where I would look as the most likely choice. I do not think either will make it into the top 5 prospects but might make it into top 10. Either will certainly upgrade the organization's plate discipline.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Timmyb » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:14 pm

On the day C.C was traded, I remember hearing that their were two deadlines for the PTBNL. Therefore, I believe that the list was larger, untill the Indians norrowed it down to two, at the end of the minor league season. Then according to Hoynes, if the Brewers make the playoffs or not, determines who that player is. For the life of me, I cant begin to imagine Shapiro doing somthing like this. However, I also cant imagine Hoynes just writing that either. Anyway, I have put way to much thought into this trade, but I hate not knowing the gnomon. I personally like Lucroy.

timmyB

Timmyb
Timmyb
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:18 am

brantley is the better player and its minor league baseball always take the better player, Crowe had a great 2 months but still seems like he might be a 4th OF brantley could potential be what the team though Crowe was going to be when they drafted him
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:29 am

jellis wrote:brantley is the better player and its minor league baseball always take the better player, Crowe had a great 2 months but still seems like he might be a 4th OF brantley could potential be what the team though Crowe was going to be when they drafted him

I agree with your analysis but I don't think Crowe has a place in Cleveland either. Brantley will never play center in Cleveland. As a LFer, he is behind LaPorta as well as the current OFs. His defensive skills are not real good from what I understand. I even think that Weglarz would be ahead of him in short order. In the AL, power prevails over speed so I just do not see playing space for him.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 am

Talked to a source close to the situation.....still absolutely no resolution yet to the PTBNL. The Brewers and Indians have kept everyone out of the loop as to what the parameters are and who is involved. It is Fort Knox. Anyone who says anything is merely speculating right now about how many players are involved or what the stipulations are.

All we know for certain is what Shapiro has said the day of the trade: the PTBNL is from a list of two players and will be decided at the end of the season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Does "end of the season" mean end of the regular season - or post season. If in the slim chance the Brewers make it all the way to the WS, then the AFL, (where this guy needs to go), will be half over.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Does "end of the season" mean end of the regular season - or post season. If in the slim chance the Brewers make it all the way to the WS, then the AFL, (where this guy needs to go), will be half over.

Hey Ghost, it probably means whatever they want it to mean. Although I think Hoynes is all wet, I believe it is possible that Milwaukee may be open to renegotiation. They really seem to need Brantley more than we do. The longer this goes on, I think it benefits the Tribe but that's just an opinion. :)
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk