RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

College Baseball 2014

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: College Baseball 2014

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:39 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Tribe draft pick Mike Papi with the game winning HR for Va. Another Tribe draft pick Cody Jones scores the GW run for TCU.

http://www.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/vir ... y=news_mlb

Thanks for the link. Papi's hit was a double. Did you watch the game?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:49 am

No I didn't, I just moved NW PA and haven't settled in yet. I'm just glad. I have internet. :)

My mistake there, I thought it said GW HR.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:19 am

That was pretty cool watching Papi with the walk-off double. I know I've already said it a few times over the past year, but I like him.

Impressions of Nathan Kirby (probably a 1st rounder next year)? I like him as a first rounder and I think he has a very sound, good delivery (although he doesn't hide the ball well with his arm action in the back) and was impressed with the velocity he was able to generate, but I don't particularly like sinker/slider guys and I think that's what he is. I'm not so sure he's going to get swings and misses with that slider in AA ball and above, but he's a first rounder next year. Someone may take him before b/c he's polished, but I'd envision him as a 15th to 20th overall pick next year. I think teams will like a lefty that is able to pound a good, hard sinking fastball in the strike zone so he'll get interest for sure but I'd probably go another direction.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 am

Watching the game & just knowing that Papi would come through as he has for 2 seasons now, it's impressive just how in charge he is at the plate. What a great batting eye. You could see that he didn't like the call on the 1st pitch. He fouled off the high FB that everyone was waving at, then jumped on that changeup away.

He has good, not elite, bat speed but I've seen him pull 95+ so I'm not worried about that. The pitch recognition & plate discipline are elite though.

I think we done drafted us a hitter.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 am

Vandy beat my Anteaters because Andrew Morales can't pitch every game. Vandy might have the deepest college baseball pitching that I've ever seen. can really hit too if Morales isn't pitching but the pitching is just ridiculously deep. Hard to beat that.

Player alert for next year's draft, Dansby Swanson, Vandy Soph IF, OF, you name it. He's from right down here in Marietta, GA. I work with a man who's son is a former travel ball teammate & one of Dansby's best friends. This kid can do anything on a ball diamond, moves like a cat, runs like a deer. Excellent SS, CF, 2B, 3B. Hope his power doesn't manifest until after we draft him. Might turn my Braves fan buddy into a Tribe fan. BTW, his Father's name is Cooter. Cain't get more Jawjuh than that.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 am

Rocky55 wrote:Vandy beat my Anteaters because Andrew Morales can't pitch every game. Vandy might have the deepest college baseball pitching that I've ever seen. can really hit too if Morales isn't pitching but the pitching is just ridiculously deep. Hard to beat that.

Player alert for next year's draft, Dansby Swanson, Vandy Soph IF, OF, you name it. He's from right down here in Marietta, GA. I work with a man who's son is a former travel ball teammate & one of Dansby's best friends. This kid can do anything on a ball diamond, moves like a cat, runs like a deer. Excellent SS, CF, 2B, 3B. Hope his power doesn't manifest until after we draft him. Might turn my Braves fan buddy into a Tribe fan. BTW, his Father's name is Cooter. Cain't get more Jawjuh than that.

I saw Dansby at Marietta HS a couple of years ago. Very solid. He looked much better the few chances I saw him play at Vandy (TV) this year. Very solid player. I see him as a 2B at the MLB level.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I can't get over the amount of pitching talent on this Vanderbilt team. It's ridiculous. I may have some issues with some of their top guys and think some may be overrated, but I can't ever remember seeing this many 1st round picks on a college staff. I remember Rice with Niemann, Humber and Townsend (all were disappointments) and thought that was impressive, but this is better.

I don't like Beede all that much, but he's clearly a 1st round pick. Walker Buehler, Carson Fulmer, Tyler Ferguson -- all 3 of those guys are likely 1st round picks next year. The freshman -- Hayden Stone is likely a 1st round guy. Only had a quick look at him, but LHP Jon Kilichowski looked quite impressive and I can see him in the 1st round. They also have Jordan Sheffield that is injured but he has a crazy good arm...future 1st round guy if he comes back healthy. Some of these guys I like more than others, but good Lord this is a crazy amount of talent. Indians pick Justus Sheffield was committed to Vanderbilt and he's a polished, effective pitcher and he could very possibly have to had to wait 2 years before becoming a weekend starter had he gone to Nashville!

Side note: He's not a first round caliber guy (or maybe not even early round), but I like freshman SS Daniel Pinero of Virginia. He's got infield skills, a projectable body and athleticism and he has very nice plate coverage.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:10 am

Congrats to Vandy, great season. I was pulling for the Wahoos because of Papi but like a lot of the Vandy guys too. Saw some good pitching in the final. Unfortunately. a lot of it was by tigers' draftees. I didn't realize that they had drafted Artie Lewicki, who was one of my faves this year. Hell of a prospect, controls his stuff and rarely gives up a hit. Adam Ravenelle is a nice spec too, although unlike Lewicki he isn't going to start.

Really enjoyable season this year. Now let's sign Papi & send him to MV to get his career with the org started.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 am

Looking forward to Papi getting his career started. I've really come around as a Papi fan, the more I see, the more I like him.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Looking forward to Papi getting his career started. I've really come around as a Papi fan, the more I see, the more I like him.

Yeah.. the kid has a LOT of swagger..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Kipnis22 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm

College Baseball homerun derby is on

Zach Radcliff sophomore from Ohio State leaf it off with 5 HRs they also get 11 outs instead of 10
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Kipnis22 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Eric Guitarez from Tex Tech with 15 HRs in the first round. 3 more then everyone else combined. I think they do 3 rounds like the majors, start with 8,, cut out 4, then go to the final 2.
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Kipnis22 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Radcliff advances. I didn't realize they had an incredibly stupid rule that if you hit a HR after the last out it counts as 2. How stupid. The top 4 hit 15-11-5-5
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Kipnis22 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm

So this kid from texas and Texas tech have incredible power. This is a very pitchers friendly park, I think we only saw 7 HRs in the CWS, Kid from Texas hit 44 home runs in 3 rounds and the Texas tech kid hit 34 in 2 rounds. Hope the Indians are watching. The Texas tech kid at 5'10 hit 50 HRs

Barrera won with 25 HRs in the last round and 44 overall, and he's only a freshman. Future top 10 pick.
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk