RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Minor League Roster Predictions

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Minor League Roster Predictions

Postby BrianM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:35 pm

Tony has been answering a lot of questions on Twitter about where players will be assigned to start 2014, so I figured I would start a thread to discuss.

I was looking through our depth chart looking to see where our "priority" prospects would start and ran into a lot of question marks during the process. I'm going to exclude relief pitchers because I'm just not that concerned about who is starting where. I'll start with the guys who should not be question marks...

Lake County
-Meija
-NRod
-Paulino
-Santander
-Frazier
-Lugo
-Brady

Carolina
-Haase
-Baker
-Dejesus

Akron
-Monsalve
-Wolters
-Wendle
-Urshela
-RRod
-Myles
-Naquin
-Smith
-Anderson
-Colon

Columbus
-Aguilar
-Holt
-Moncrief
-Bauer
-House

This next group of guys I'm just not sure of

-Kime - Does he start in LC or Carolina? His lack of recent starting pitching experience makes me think there is a chance they keep him back in LC just to start the year.
-Aviles - Does he get cut? He didn't really earn a promotion, and LC should be crowded.
-M Brown - If healthy, do they send him to LC right away like they did last year despite his performance this year?
-Sisco - Did he earn a promotion?
-McAdams - LC or extended spring and then MV again?
-Araujo - No idea, and RP or SP?
-Sterling - Same as above
-Washington - If healthy, he has to start at Carolina, right?
-LRod - Very probable he goes back to Carolina, but still not sure.
-Lavisky - Could he be cut? If not, would think Carolina with the depth in front of him.
-Morimando - Did he earn a promotion to Akron?
-Lowery - With Wolters and Monsalve both at Akron, does he potentially get pushed to Cbus?
-Lindor - If JRam makes the major league club, could we push him to Cbus, or is he better off playing in Akron either way?
-Jram - Would think his only potential destination would be Cbus is he is not in Cleveland, but you never know.
-Plutko - How far could we push him to start? Carolina seems logical, but is Akron an option?

I'm sure I missed people, but I'm just curious and tried putting together a rough list. A few more general questions I have...

- Who fills out the rest of the LC and Carolina pitching staffs? How many piggyback situations do you think we will see?

- Akron's lineup is pretty packed. Where do you see these guys finishing out the year? How many promotions do you expect?

- Are there any higher profile international signings that could sneak there way onto Lake County?

-Who could potentially see a position switch, or at least some versatility added to their game on defense?

-Which SP's have lost favor and will either be cut, or moved to the BP?

Any thoughts would be great. I'm just a little bored. We need to get these forums rolling again. Baseball season never ends.

**Edited to add Plutko
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Re: Minor League Roster Predictions

Postby Edible14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:04 am

On Lindor, I think you start him in Akron. Realistically, he's going to move no matter what. But he's young and hasn't spent a lot of time in AA yet. No reason to push him so soon - he'll knock down that door soon enough. He's not even option C yet for major league SS (B is Aviles, C is Ramirez), so no need to rush. I think if Ramirez isn't on the major league club as a utility guy - likely if they continue with the 8 man bullpen setup - he needs to be rotating in at SS, 2B and 3B at Columbus. Along with Ronny Rodriguez.

I think Phelps is DFA'd, and I actually think he'll end up claimed, specifically by the Blue Jays. The Jays have a hole at 2B, and they're notorious for waiver claim shenanigans. So 2B, 3B and SS should be open at Columbus for guys to rotate around. Realistically, both guys aren't likely starters in the majors, so they both need to rotate around. With the other guys in the Columbus infield (some mix of Lawson, Diaz, Phelps if he isn't claimed, Bellows), there's no reason not to get them some useful exposure at other positions. That's another reason I want Lindor in Akron - he gets SS to himself. Specifically, I think Ronny needs to play some more 3B. Ramirez is a speedy utility guy with no power, he can't really be expected to play 3B except in a pinch. But Ronny has some pop, and perhaps he could end up being an option there should Chisenhall get hurt. Since I think Urshella and Wendle should get their positions to themselves, I think Lindor just fits in at Akron right now, while Ronny is better served rotating around in Columbus, expanding his positions along with Ramirez.

My rough projection of the position players is this:

POS - COL - AKR - CAR - LC
C - Lowery - Monsalve - Haase - Meija
C2 - R. Perez/FA - Wolters - Lavisky - Loopstok
1B - Aguilar - Sabourin? - Sever? - N. Rodriguez
2B - R. Rodriguez - Wendle - Medina - Bautista
SS - Ramirez - Lindor - Hendrix? - Paulino
3B - Bellows/FA - Urshela - Matera? - Gonzales?
LF - Fedroff/FA - Myles - Washington - McClure
CF - Holt - Naquin - Vick - Frazier
RF - Moncrief - Smith - L. Rodriguez - Santander

The infielders at Carolina and below are poor across the board, it seems. Paulino and Nellie will be the only guys worth getting excited about in Lake County, and they're repeating. There's nobody at Carolina in the infield at the start of the year. Maybe Robel Garcia pushes his way into the mix and Paulino get promoted?

Outfield is somewhat packed at every level, but a lot of guys are entering critical years. Virtually the entire Carolina outfield gets promoted to Akron, which is one of the bigger hurdles in the minors. Luigi Rodriguez has a shot at starting, but if he can't stay healthy or produce, he runs the risk of becoming a non-prospect. Similar thoughts on Washington and McClure, who haven't shown much for all the promise they had when they were drafted. Logan Vick will be in a tough spot where he could end up getting squeezed out by Frazier if Frazier starts having a monster year and basically needs to be promoted. He essentially has no way up - no way he takes Naquin's spot if Naquin is healthy - and there's a lot of talent already in the corners of Carolina.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 pm

My lineup projections were very similar all the way down. The only big differences I have are McClure and RRod. I don't think McClure starts at LC. He was a big investment and is still young, so no need to rush IMO.

I'm still under the belief that RRod is a high priority prospect to the organization, so I don't think he will be pushed just because Cbus has a hole in the IF. He really could use more time in AA, and should have no problem splitting time between 2nd/3rd/SS while still playing 5-6 games a week. If he does start at Akron, I would actually expect him to fill the starting 2nd base role while Wendle spends more time as the DH.

I see your point though.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 pm

BrianM wrote:My lineup projections were very similar all the way down. The only big differences I have are McClure and RRod. I don't think McClure starts at LC. He was a big investment and is still young, so no need to rush IMO.

He'll be 20 next year, in his 3rd year in the org. I think he needs to play full season ball. I think he stays in LC all year, but he needs to start doing something outside of the Goodyear complex.

BrianM wrote:I'm still under the belief that RRod is a high priority prospect to the organization, so I don't think he will be pushed just because Cbus has a hole in the IF. He really could use more time in AA, and should have no problem splitting time between 2nd/3rd/SS while still playing 5-6 games a week. If he does start at Akron, I would actually expect him to fill the starting 2nd base role while Wendle spends more time as the DH.

I don't think there's a huge difference between AA and AAA, so it's not really much to worry about if that promotion is "too soon". The three scenarios I see are this:

Ronny at AAA, Lindor at AA (argued for above)

Lindor at AAA, Ronny at AA - Lindor needs to play just about everyday, so Ramirez (assuming he's not on the big league club) won't get any time there. Which would be silly, because he's a good enough defender there and he can make himself into a big trade candidate by showing that. At Akron, Ronny gets a lot of time at SS and maybe gets a game a week at 3B/2B. It's not a terrible situation for him, but you also will be spending a lot of games on someone like Matt Lawson at SS.

Both at AA - You could put both there and list Ronny as the DH. You rotate Ronny in at 3B/2B/SS. It's an interesting idea, but I think you're leaving Ronny out of the field too much. And ultimately, he still needs to be spending a good amount of time at SS, if only because that's where he's most valuable and that keeps his trade value higher. You can't do that with Lindor being at the same level, because you need to be getting Lindor regular reps at SS.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 am

Hey i know the sponge post is spam but have you read it??? My god is that an awesome example of good bad english or what? Actually its more likely "good subject english matter form bad" or something like that.... Go Nigeria!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk