RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Watershed Week

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Watershed Week

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

If we continue to tank vs Detroit bailing out this season will become essentially impossible.

I must say Masterson looks like he made a huge mistake not taking the big contract this spring. He is making the mistake of tanking before the money - not after like most of our team.

Swisher is pitiful. I wonder if Mr. Personality would have the stones to give back the money. He is so far this year beyond pitiful.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Watershed Week

Postby Chiefroy » Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 am

Looks like Giambi is ready to start playing...well sitting on the bench again. I guess we'll send Aguilar back down for old Jason to get his spot back.

We're in trouble and this season is going down the drain. Fire sale before the deadline....almost time to start fantasizing about other teams' prospects. Masterson, Cabrera, Swisher, Rayburn, Bourn, maybe even Santana could be dealt.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Re: Watershed Week

Postby Edible14 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 am

If they end up selling (and it's too early to say they will, but... contingencies should be in place), they can set themselves up nicely for a bounceback year next year. Cabrera and Masterson weren't going to be here next year anyway. If we end up dealing them at the deadline, we get some prospects back for them and hopefully we can reload faster. Maybe we can even unload Bourn's contract (which would be nice for long-term flexibility) in that scenario. You'd be going into this next offseason with only ~$40M on the books to contracted players, and with the only arbitration cases being relievers and Lonnie (and given Axford's current pitching, he's not likely to command much in arbitration). That's enough to get a stopgap CFer (until Naquin is ready, or perhaps all the way to Frazier) and a quality (not "ace") starter.

But I don't think you really even start thinking about selling until it's at least June.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors