RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:29 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
El Em wrote:The Beltran to the Yankees signing probably hurts Choo/Boras a bit...I guess it only takes one team to get overly excited about him, but with the Yanks are out of the picture it has to hinder his $/years aspirations.

Doubtful, Heyman lists Texas, Detroit Seattle, and Cincinatti as teams going for Choo

I don't know if he'll get $100M with both the NY teams out and both LA out (not that they were ever in but still). Boston maybe gets involved and drives the price up but don't see the Tigers being able to afford him without another move (though never say never). Texas didn't give Hamilton $125M last winter..is Choo worth over $100M to them? Maybe but Cruz returning seems way more likely IMO. Cincy...said it before but don't think they can afford him unless they move Phillips. I believe this is the #1 reason why their are rumors of him being dealt.

Seattle is the team I think that lands him...and not sure they overspend after doing so with Cano. 6yrs/$100M is my guess to Seattle. Less than Boras felt he'd get, more than most thought he'd get. More per year than Gradny or Beltran.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 am

Seattle does want to make a splash this year so it is a decent possibility, but I will guess Texas - 5/85m.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:13 am

El Em wrote:Seattle does want to make a splash this year so it is a decent possibility, but I will guess Texas - 5/85m.

I think 5yr/$85M more reasonable for Choo...but in this market I could see him getting 6 years. I still think Seattle makes more sense than Texas....though both could use a better leadoff hitter IMO. Martin in Texas and...Miller/Almonte/Ackely in Seattle...none inspire a lot of confidence in 2014 in the OBP department IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:09 am

This is me speculating, IF the Indians are seriously considering Brett Anderson from Oakland, how about JA Happ of Toronto.

Trying to come up with some out of the box ideas because I don't want to see the Indians commit to a player like James McDonald as an option out of the 5th spot. Some speculation Toronto is willing to move Happ. I suppose you can do much better than him, but like I said, if the Tribe is considering Anderson with his injury history...
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Choo will get his money. Seattle, Detroit, and Texas will both be major players. It is probably important to get his deal done before Cruz signs though.

People say Detroit doesn't want to spend more money, but I don't buy it. I could see them offering that 5/85 deal to Choo and forcing the other teams to top their offer. Still don't see them landing him though.

Also like the Phillips hypothesis that someone mentioned. If the Reds move Phillips, they will definitely at least be in the discussion for Choo. Whether they will be able to outbid someone is a different story.

Agree that Seattle will be his final destination.

And I am 100% convinced now that David Price will also be a Mariner. They have too much expendable ammo. Walker will without a doubt be the best center piece they could acquire, and Franklin should easily be the best secondary piece they could acquire. The M's may also be willing to deal someone like Paxton or Maurer. Nobody can compete with that unless the D'backs are willing to give up Archie Bradley, which won't happen.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:55 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:This is me speculating, IF the Indians are seriously considering Brett Anderson from Oakland, how about JA Happ of Toronto.

Trying to come up with some out of the box ideas because I don't want to see the Indians commit to a player like James McDonald as an option out of the 5th spot. Some speculation Toronto is willing to move Happ. I suppose you can do much better than him, but like I said, if the Tribe is considering Anderson with his injury history...

In a very limited sampling..JA Happ has done well against the Tigers and Twins while he's given it up against the Royals and Pale Hose.. IDK that he'd be worth much, if anything, for the Indians in a starting rotation spot.. If no one else was available, but, even then.. just maybe..

I'm just not a fan of soft tossing lefties.. too many nightmares involving Jeremy Sowers....

...Cincy...said it before but don't think they can afford him unless they move Phillips. I believe this is the #1 reason why their are rumors of him being dealt...

The Yankees need someone like Brandon Phillips.. the Reds need someone like Michael B-ourn-o-rantley.. The Indians need someone like Homer Bailey.. Walt Jockety needs to make another three way deal.?. maybe more to the Reds, like Jose Ramirez?

Just a thought...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:03 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
...Cincy...said it before but don't think they can afford him unless they move Phillips. I believe this is the #1 reason why their are rumors of him being dealt...

The Yankees need someone like Brandon Phillips.. the Reds need someone like Michael B-ourn-o-rantley.. The Indians need someone like Homer Bailey.. Walt Jockety needs to make another three way deal.?. maybe more to the Reds, like Jose Ramirez?

Just a thought...

Would love to land Homer Bailey from the Reds. ESPN had a similar 3 team deal with the O's where we got homer Bailey, believe it was for Asdrubal and Wendle.

Could see the Reds having interest in one of our OFers...though they could cut out the middle man and just look at Brett Gardner from the Yanks. Reds do seem like a nice trade fit as they seem open to moving a pitcher and could have a need in the OF...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Rumor is the Padres are willing to move Burch Smith. Looking for left-handed relief help. I know the Tribe loved Smith in college (drafted him twice). Not sure we match up though I think the Tribe could move Hagadone.

Wouldn't mind getting Headley either of course....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Rumor is the Padres are willing to move Burch Smith. Looking for left-handed relief help. I know the Tribe loved Smith in college (drafted him twice). Not sure we match up though I think the Tribe could move Hagadone.

Wouldn't mind getting Headley either of course....

Willing to move Burch Smith? That much control for a pitcher and they're willing to move him already? Doesn't add up, but I'd be thrilled if the Indians could make that work
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Hagadone is not relief help for any major league team. Neither is Barnes. If the Padres are trading Smith for a lefty, the only one they're looking at from here is Scrabble.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Just a thought...

Would love to land Homer Bailey from the Reds. ESPN had a similar 3 team deal with the O's where we got homer Bailey, believe it was for Asdrubal and Wendle.

Could see the Reds having interest in one of our OFers...though they could cut out the middle man and just look at Brett Gardner from the Yanks. Reds do seem like a nice trade fit as they seem open to moving a pitcher and could have a need in the OF...

DBax are looking for OF'ers..

SF Giants are looking for OF'ers..

Either team has the kind of prospects that would be of significant interest...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 am

GeronimoSon wrote:DBax are looking for OF'ers..

SF Giants are looking for OF'ers..

Either team has the kind of prospects that would be of significant interest...

D'backs are said to be looking for a power hitting OFer though. Unless they really like Stubbs I don't see a match there.

SF...don't see the fit either. Maybe Brantley though Blanco isn't much worse (if any). Got Pagan in CF and Pence in RF too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm

@JonHeymanCBS: Halladay and Blue Jays will announce a 1-day contract at press conference so he retires as a jay
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 pm

@RobertMurrayMLB: Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) mentions the #Indians as a suitor for David Price. He says they could center a package around Carlos Santana.

Lol....for what it's worth anyway...
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@RobertMurrayMLB: Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) mentions the #Indians as a suitor for David Price. He says they could center a package around Carlos Santana.

Lol....for what it's worth anyway...

I just don't understand why we'd make a deal like that. I love Price, don't get me wrong... but for two years of him. We aren't going to resign him. Why would you give up an arm and a leg for two years?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:42 pm

@jonmorosi: Indians have talked with reps for free agent starter Jason Hammel, source says. @FOXSports1

@Buster_ESPN: Jason Hammel's price went up, so the Indians are looking elsewhere. Cleveland could wait longer to see what develops in starting pitching.

GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:20 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@jonmorosi: Indians have talked with reps for free agent starter Jason Hammel, source says. @FOXSports1

@Buster_ESPN: Jason Hammel's price went up, so the Indians are looking elsewhere. Cleveland could wait longer to see what develops in starting pitching.

Hammel's was one of my favorite targets at the start of the offseason. He competed really well in a tough division in 2012. Much higher upside than a lot of our options.

I'd be willing to at least think about a Price/Santana trade if we had an immediate replacement for his production, but we don't, so....no.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

It actually might be more fun to talk about Seattle this year. I mentioned before that it would be difficult for anyone to outbid the Mariners for David Price, but they also may be the only ones who have the ammo to pull off a Chris Sale trade. If the Mariners really want to win now, Sale would be a perfect addition to their rotation, and also give them enough payroll flexibility to sign someone like Choo.

I thoroughly enjoy watching teams go through a rebuilding process, and it would be fun to see Seattle pull a Miami/Toronto and acquire a bunch of pieces this offseason in order to compete. Landing Cano, Choo, Price/Sale, and resigning Morales should have a much greater impact than Toronto grabbing Reyes, J Johnson, Dickey, Buehrle, and Melky.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:53 pm

@jcrasnick: #Indians are close to bringing back 1B David Cooper on a major league deal. Made comeback from serious back injury in 2013.

O..........k.........
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@jcrasnick: #Indians are close to bringing back 1B David Cooper on a major league deal. Made comeback from serious back injury in 2013.

O..........k.........

I said the same thing... Only thing that I really take from that is he'll take Giambi's role off the bench maybe??? I mean, I thought Santana was going to play the bulk of his time at first this year with Swisher seeing the rest of the time there probably? Not sure I quite understand it, but doubt he's gonna cost much $$$
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

O..........k.........

I said the same thing... Only thing that I really take from that is he'll take Giambi's role off the bench maybe??? I mean, I thought Santana was going to play the bulk of his time at first this year with Swisher seeing the rest of the time there probably? Not sure I quite understand it, but doubt he's gonna cost much $$$

I guess it's insurance for Giambi should he maybe decide to retire or just get injured. I figure if Giambi plays and makes the team then he just gets Coopers spot on the 40. The signing is fine, just don't get the whole major league deal for someone who they didn't see fit to add last September.

Either way I'm rooting for the kid to get back to have a role on a ML team. I understand all too well about bad backs (spinal stenosis, 3 herniated discs, BTW I'm 30).
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:05 pm

@jonmorosi: Indians have talked with Grant Balfour, sources say. They need a closer.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@jonmorosi: Indians have talked with Grant Balfour, sources say. They need a closer.

I'm okay with Balfour if that's the route that we take.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby El Em » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm

It looks like Cooper still has an option, so that adds to the flexibility...still takes up a spot on the 40. I believe I read last week that there were actually other clubs interested in Cooper, so maybe the ML contract was necessary to secure him. Certainly think the money will be somewhat negligible.

I still think the Tribe ends up with one of the "leftover" closers on a relatively low rate...guys who have not signed by mid/late January, and I think there will be a few more, other than CP.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 am

I'd like to start talking about the Masterson rumor, but its difficult believing anything will actually happen. I think we would be asking for quite a bit, and with names like Price and Smardjia (sp?) available, both of whom have two years remaining rather than one, I don't see anything actually getting done.

I also don't think we match up with any of Masterson's potential suitors. The Yankees, Orioles, D'backs, Rangers, Braves, and Rockies seem the most logical to me, and problems could occur in talks with all of them...

The Yankees don't have the talent to pull off the trade, but Masterson would be a huge lift for their staff if they want to compete again in 2014.

The Orioles don't really have any controllable young pitching to offer, and they don't seem like they don't have a whole lot of flexibility in the payroll.

The Braves could be a fit. I'm not a big Alex Wood fan, but he qualifies as a young, controllable SP. They don't seem like they would want to give up a whole lot for someone who can only be controlled for one year though.

The D'backs definitely have the ammo with Miley and Skaggs, but because they have the ammo, I think they will be in on the two pitchers mentioned above, and I think eventually they get something done with the Cubs.

The Rangers could be a match, but once again, they may not have the ammo to pull off a deal. Neftali Feliz seems expendable at this point, but he may be better suited as a reliever, and his stock has really dropped. Also don't think someone like Martin Perez would be available after the season he had last year.

The Rockies are interesting. They seem to think they can win now, and Masterson would fit better than most pitchers at Coors. I would think they would be looking for someone with more than one year on their contract, but they could start a package with Arenado and Pomeranz.

The teams that have the ammo to pull off this deal are probably just trying to use Masterson as leverage to pull down the Price of Price and Shark. It will probably work in the end, and Masterson will spend 2014 as an Indian.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 am

BrianM wrote:I'd like to start talking about the Masterson rumor, but its difficult believing anything will actually happen. I think we would be asking for quite a bit, and with names like Price and Smardjia (sp?) available, both of whom have two years remaining rather than one, I don't see anything actually getting done.

I also don't think we match up with any of Masterson's potential suitors. The Yankees, Orioles, D'backs, Rangers, Braves, and Rockies seem the most logical to me, and problems could occur in talks with all of them...

The Yankees don't have the talent to pull off the trade, but Masterson would be a huge lift for their staff if they want to compete again in 2014.

The Orioles don't really have any controllable young pitching to offer, and they don't seem like they don't have a whole lot of flexibility in the payroll.

The Braves could be a fit. I'm not a big Alex Wood fan, but he qualifies as a young, controllable SP. They don't seem like they would want to give up a whole lot for someone who can only be controlled for one year though.

The D'backs definitely have the ammo with Miley and Skaggs, but because they have the ammo, I think they will be in on the two pitchers mentioned above, and I think eventually they get something done with the Cubs.

The Rangers could be a match, but once again, they may not have the ammo to pull off a deal. Neftali Feliz seems expendable at this point, but he may be better suited as a reliever, and his stock has really dropped. Also don't think someone like Martin Perez would be available after the season he had last year.

The Rockies are interesting. They seem to think they can win now, and Masterson would fit better than most pitchers at Coors. I would think they would be looking for someone with more than one year on their contract, but they could start a package with Arenado and Pomeranz.

The teams that have the ammo to pull off this deal are probably just trying to use Masterson as leverage to pull down the Price of Price and Shark. It will probably work in the end, and Masterson will spend 2014 as an Indian.

It's a concern that the Indians "might" consider trading Masterson, however, the "..Indians will listen on offers for.." comment appears to be a writer's means to 'stir the pot'.. Example: Haul Poynes asked CA, Have you heard from any suitors regarding the availability of Justin Masterson?.. CA's response..No, we haven't heard a single one.. the writer reports that CA was listening about a "query" regarding the potential to trade Justin Masterson.. and reports it on a blog.. which is then picked up by MLB Tr..and so on, and so on.. It's crapola with sugar on it. It's nothing..

The real question that I think you are asking.. should the Indians trade Masterson?. The Indians found themselves in virtually this exact same position entering the 2008 season. They had come within an eyelash of going to the World Series the previous year & CC Sabathia's contract walk year was now. The Indians could have traded CC for a GINORMOUS return and thrown away any chance at returning to playoff contention in 2008. They decided to KEEP CC.. He started the year with an oblique strain.. Westbrook wasn't there.. FAUSTO !! couldn't find home plate with a map and a guide dog.. and the Indians fell out of contention "rapidly' thereafter. As the All Star break approached, the Indians had lost 10 games in a row!! Their record stood at 37-53, meaning they'd have to win 53 or the remaining 62 games to have a chance at the playoffs.. The Indians bailed on the season and got what they thought was a treasure trove of prospects from the Brewers.. Only Michael Brantley has sustained any real value from the deal.

Should the Indians repeat this action?. IDK.. The perceived value of draft picks is very high (I only wish the perceived value would match the actual value once in a while).. The Indians have to listen.. and only listen at this point. If the Red Sox come to the Indians and offer a six for two (Masterson and Santana).. then it's a deal that has to be considered..

Every deal has to be considered to some degree... Degrees range from as high as inking the deal to laughing uproariously about the pittance someone else thinks of a player who is currently wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve. That pittance can be used as a negotiating ploy/leverage in the event Masterson is extended..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:39 am

Some rumors floating that Grant Balfour signed with Baltimore.

Per the Twitter anyway, not confirmed.

Also,

@MLBastian: Indians among teams with interest in FA reliever John Axford. Mariners, Orioles, Cubs have also been linked to him. Has closing experience.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 am

It would be foolish not to listen on Masterson....maybe an offer comes in far more enticing than anyone would expect? I do think Masty is extendable...he is not CC...he has had injury issues. I think he would cherish the certainty. I think he could sign a 15m/ per sort of deal, and I hope the Indians do just that. That said, I think Masterson might also be open to an extension with a team that trades for him...if my speculation is correct, that may be a big boost to his value. Odds are he continues to wear the block C.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 pm

El Em wrote:It would be foolish not to listen on Masterson....maybe an offer comes in far more enticing than anyone would expect? I do think Masty is extendable...he is not CC...he has had injury issues. I think he would cherish the certainty. I think he could sign a 15m/ per sort of deal, and I hope the Indians do just that. That said, I think Masterson might also be open to an extension with a team that trades for him...if my speculation is correct, that may be a big boost to his value. Odds are he continues to wear the block C.

Only injury Masterson has really had was that strained lat/oblique. CC had that too in Cleveland if you recall. Both were very durable. CC actually went his last 4 years before his first possible free agency year without throwing 200 innings (though then threw 240+ back to back).

Agree on $15M per year with Masterson, I had him at $16M for the next 4, which could be doable (again if you move Bourn). Still think the Danks deal is a reasonable comp. Give Masterson $9-10M in 2014, $16M the next 4. Again, highly doubt the Tribe and Masterson come together on a deal but IMO that's a reasonable deal.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I think the Masterson trade talk, if true, is just the Indians doing their research on his market value. It would only seem prudent if you're considering making him a multi-year contract potentially obligating you to tens of millions of dollars. Most people wouldn't buy a house if they didn't have an appraisal on its market value first.

I can't see them trading him this offseason unless they loved the offer.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
El Em wrote:It would be foolish not to listen on Masterson....maybe an offer comes in far more enticing than anyone would expect? I do think Masty is extendable...he is not CC...he has had injury issues. I think he would cherish the certainty. I think he could sign a 15m/ per sort of deal, and I hope the Indians do just that. That said, I think Masterson might also be open to an extension with a team that trades for him...if my speculation is correct, that may be a big boost to his value. Odds are he continues to wear the block C.

Only injury Masterson has really had was that strained lat/oblique. CC had that too in Cleveland if you recall. Both were very durable. CC actually went his last 4 years before his first possible free agency year without throwing 200 innings (though then threw 240+ back to back).

Agree on $15M per year with Masterson, I had him at $16M for the next 4, which could be doable (again if you move Bourn). Still think the Danks deal is a reasonable comp. Give Masterson $9-10M in 2014, $16M the next 4. Again, highly doubt the Tribe and Masterson come together on a deal but IMO that's a reasonable deal.

Poorly phrased on my part -- not trying to say either CC or Masty is frequently injured, but more that Masterson is no CC in consistent performance/track record...not as bright a star as CC. I think Masterson would be more sensitive to an injury or an off year more seriously curtailing his earning power, and would be more inclined to take a deal now.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Is it just me, or would you not rather have Stubbs over Rajai Davis? Not that they were choosing between the two, but It is an interesting add by the Tigers at 5m per...
Last edited by El Em on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Brett Anderson and $2MM to the Rockies for our old friend Drew Pomeranz and (a lower level prospect Chris Jensen). So much for Anderson in Cleveland.

Pomeranz isn't far removed from being a top prospect. Things just didn't work out with the Rockies. Given the A's track record with pitchers, he stands a fair chance of re-gaining some value.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't think the Indians can compete without Masterson this year. They brought in Swisher and Bourn to compete, this isn't the time to deal. The package of prospects they can get for him at the trading deadline will be good anyway (as much as the package didn't pan out in the Brewers trade, you have to remember that LaPorta and Brantley were highly regarded and Bryson was even a legitimate prospect. Getting that kind of a return isn't too shabby for a guy that was walking at the end of the year anyway, certainly better than the draft pick they would have gotten.

Even in a worse case scenario (the Indians are out of the race by July) you get good value for Masty. I think the Indians won't trade him unless they're blown away.

Also, thoughts on offering Joba Chamberlain a one year deal? He supposedly has a one year, $3MM offer out there. Seems like it shouldn't be too expensive to get him, and his road/home splits suggest he's a rebound candidate. He'd be a guy we could try out for 5th starter, knowing we can move him to the bullpen if need be.

Also, Trumbo to the D'Backs for Santiago/Skaggs, somehow the White Sox are involved by getting Adam Eaton, though what they're giving up hasn't been explained yet (probably one of the PTBNLs). Who doesn't love trading with the Diamondbacks?

Brett Anderson also down as a trade candidate, now with the Rockies.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Ed -- I think Santiago was the ChiSox contribution to the deal...do not feel bad about "missing out" on Anderson -- not sure who our Pomeranz comp is these days, but probably more than I want to give in a player and incoming salary.
I would take a flyer on Chamberlain in that 3m range...agree that they need to keep Masterson, barring something that just knocks them over.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:23 pm

El Em wrote:Is it just me, or would you not rather have Stubbs over Rajai Davis? Not that they were choosing between the two, but It is an interesting add by the Tigers at 5m per...

I can see arguements for either. Don't think $5 per season and $10M for 2 years is a bad deal for Davis. Stubbs is likely to earn almost that in arby if he doesn't get non-tendered in the next 2 years.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Mark Mulder is reportedly trying to make a comeback this season.

After Kazmir last year....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Mark Mulder is reportedly trying to make a comeback this season.

After Kazmir last year....

Ahhh, to be left handed....
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
El Em wrote:Is it just me, or would you not rather have Stubbs over Rajai Davis? Not that they were choosing between the two, but It is an interesting add by the Tigers at 5m per...

I can see arguements for either. Don't think $5 per season and $10M for 2 years is a bad deal for Davis. Stubbs is likely to earn almost that in arby if he doesn't get non-tendered in the next 2 years.

I do not think it such a bad deal...just thinking Stubby has some decent value. It seemed some thought his arb number would be too high to merit keeping. If the Indians trade him, they seem to be in good position to not just move salary, but perhaps get a nice return.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:16 pm

...ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Diamondbacks are interested in Justin Masterson.
Olney says the D'Backs are "pushing" for a pitcher and are also in on the Cubs' Jeff Samardzija. The Indians have decided to field offers for Masterson since he's entering his walk year and they're not sure they'll be able to ink him to a long-term extension. It sounds like GM Kevin Towers is intent on upgrading his rotation this week....

The DBax got their OF'er (Trumbo).. now they want a TORP.. Interesting..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 am

From Nightengale -- The #Yankees would like to grab #indians Masterson in a 3-team trade involving CF Gardner if they can pull it off.

So who's a good fit for Gardner? On its face, this does not seem likely to return "enough" to the Indians.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:07 am

El Em wrote:From Nightengale -- The #Yankees would like to grab #indians Masterson in a 3-team trade involving CF Gardner if they can pull it off.

So who's a good fit for Gardner? On its face, this does not seem likely to return "enough" to the Indians.

Gardner was actually worth nearly the same as Masterson per fangraphs and has been worth more over the past 4 seasons. Wouldn't trade a pitcher for a non-power hitting outfielder though with the depth we have out there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:15 am

El Em wrote:From Nightengale -- The #Yankees would like to grab #indians Masterson in a 3-team trade involving CF Gardner if they can pull it off.

The Reds and the Mariners are teams that may be specifically looking for an OF'er, primarily a CF'er. There are a couple of conditions:

The Yankees/Reds would / may want to move Brandon Phillips this deal. This dovetails nicely into the Yankees needs and they would LOVE to acquire Brandon Phillips thereby opening the door for Billy Hamilton to take over at 2B with Brett Gardner then becoming a CF. Brett Gardner alone won't drive a Brandon Phillips plus a prospect (e.g. Nick Travieso) deal. So the Yankees would have to pony up one of some of Gary Sanchez, Manny Banuelos, Mason Williams, etc. depending on who the Indians would want in addition to Nick Travieso from the Reds as part of the Reds compensation.

The Yankees have a small group of prospect that have a chance to impress. They are the guys mentioned above alogn with Jose Campos and then some recent draftees. There just isn't a lot of depth in the Yankee farm system to generate the kind of return..but..maybe, if the Indians FO & player development/evaluation people are enamored of a player.. then..

The Mariners have a slew of SP's that are close to ML ready. Their best is an untouchable, Taijaun Walker.. their next best has undergone surgery on his shoulder..not a very promising situation. The Mariners do have some interesting prospects and are in dire need of a HEALTHY CF'er. Could be something there..

Both of these teams (Reds and Mariners) have been trade partners with the Indians in the past. The Yankees and Indians also have a pretty fair history of trades.. So, there is plenty of familiarity there.. IDK if that will be enough to make a complex deal like this worthwhile...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:17 am

Hermie13 wrote:

Gardner was actually worth nearly the same as Masterson per fangraphs and has been worth more over the past 4 seasons. Wouldn't trade a pitcher for a non-power hitting outfielder though with the depth we have out there.

well.. then how about a one for one?..

didn't think so either.. so much for WAR..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

I certainly hope the Indians would not be interested in swapping Masty for Gardner, fan graphs notwithstanding....the only interesting aspect of this to me is what a third team might offer in the deal...it would have to be significant to offset Masterson's value to the Tribe.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:12 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

The Reds and the Mariners are teams that may be specifically looking for an OF'er, primarily a CF'er. There are a couple of conditions:

The Yankees/Reds would / may want to move Brandon Phillips this deal. This dovetails nicely into the Yankees needs and they would LOVE to acquire Brandon Phillips thereby opening the door for Billy Hamilton to take over at 2B with Brett Gardner then becoming a CF. Brett Gardner alone won't drive a Brandon Phillips plus a prospect (e.g. Nick Travieso) deal. So the Yankees would have to pony up one of some of Gary Sanchez, Manny Banuelos, Mason Williams, etc. depending on who the Indians would want in addition to Nick Travieso from the Reds as part of the Reds compensation.

The Yankees have a small group of prospect that have a chance to impress. They are the guys mentioned above alogn with Jose Campos and then some recent draftees. There just isn't a lot of depth in the Yankee farm system to generate the kind of return..but..maybe, if the Indians FO & player development/evaluation people are enamored of a player.. then..

The Mariners have a slew of SP's that are close to ML ready. Their best is an untouchable, Taijaun Walker.. their next best has undergone surgery on his shoulder..not a very promising situation. The Mariners do have some interesting prospects and are in dire need of a HEALTHY CF'er. Could be something there..

Both of these teams (Reds and Mariners) have been trade partners with the Indians in the past. The Yankees and Indians also have a pretty fair history of trades.. So, there is plenty of familiarity there.. IDK if that will be enough to make a complex deal like this worthwhile...

The Mariners are interesting... Who knows, In their present mode they may be motivated to overpay.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 pm

El Em wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I certainly hope the Indians would not be interested in swapping Masty for Gardner, fan graphs notwithstanding....the only interesting aspect of this to me is what a third team might offer in the deal...it would have to be significant to offset Masterson's value to the Tribe.

I agree for the Indians it doesn't make sense as they need another starter on top of Masterson and already have a full OF. I just don't think the Yanks would necessarily deal Gardner for Masterson as they may see more value in Gardner than Masterson. Think both sides realize they don't match up, hence why the Yanks mentioned a 3rd team. Still don't really get the benefit to Cleveland for moving Masterson unless you get a young pitcher and then use the saved money to maybe resign Ubaldo if his price falls (due to the draft pick attached).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
El Em wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I agree for the Indians it doesn't make sense as they need another starter on top of Masterson and already have a full OF. I just don't think the Yanks would necessarily deal Gardner for Masterson as they may see more value in Gardner than Masterson. Think both sides realize they don't match up, hence why the Yanks mentioned a 3rd team. Still don't really get the benefit to Cleveland for moving Masterson unless you get a young pitcher and then use the saved money to maybe resign Ubaldo if his price falls (due to the draft pick attached).

To trade Masterson, I'd have to be overwhelmed......one ready stud starter + a near ready starter (A+ or above).....
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Classic Hermie....

Not trying to nit pick... But........Well actually..... But..... That may be true but....... If you ever needed a prime example of a "Hermie-ya" (Hernia) look no further..

Just stirring your gravy Hermie, but seriously lol........
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Classic Hermie....

Not trying to nit pick... But........Well actually..... But..... That may be true but....... If you ever needed a prime example of a "Hermie-ya" (Hernia) look no further..

Just stirring your gravy Hermie, but seriously lol........

So...you think we should trade Masterson for Gardner then I take it? Since you don't like my post and all, and I said we shouldn't...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors