RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Gentry is definitely better than Stubbs....but after this deal, I feel pretty confident we can get something for him that's at least somewhat decent.

Agree...but now, as one of the tweets someone posted mentioned, were not really a fit with the A's to acquire Anderson.

Indians may not be a match with a trade with the A's for Anderson, but don't think it's cause of Stubbs. Rumor is they are looking for "bullpen depth" which the Tribe doesn't really have (at least not the kind the A's are likely looking for). Though that was before the A's got Gregerson for Smith...

The Indians don't have much bullpen depth, but they've got some marketable assets in that pen most notably including Bryan Shaw and Cody Allen. I know the initial reaction to trading one of them would not be popular, but neither was trading Vinnie Pestano last year before he turned into a pumpkin this summer. Shaw was basically a high level throw-in to the Choo-Bauer trade year, and now he's got value. Middle relievers are volatile year-to-year and a buy low, sell high strategy on them may be prudent. If the Indians traded either of Allen or Shaw, they'd absolutely have to acquire some other relievers, though. Losing Perez, Smith and one of those two w/o acquiring others would be a huge blow. Both Allen and Shaw are also low-cost, effective relievers but that would be factored into their trade value meaning the Indians could get more for either. I'm not suggesting the Indians trade Allen or Shaw, but I wouldn't be closed-minded towards moving either.

The Indians need another SP.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Tigers top target is Choo.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Ellsbury to the Yankees on a seven year deal
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Ellsbury to the Yankees on a seven year deal

What a crazy day. Before the winter meetings no less.

Next thing you know a Cleveland media member is gonna write about how the Indians haven't done anything today...
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:29 am

It's like Johnny Damon 2.0!

Also, I would not be surprised if we see a few of the 14 guys who declined qualifying offers end up in Lohse-limbo this year. The number of teams willing to part with a draft pick are limited. The market on those starters is fine enough - between the Yankees, Angels and possibly the Mets, Phillies, Blue Jays and Rangers, there's plenty of suitors for those three guys. The big question mark seems to be outfielders. You can see Choo going to the Tigers, maybe Beltran going to the Yankees. I've got no clue where Nelson Cruz and Curtis Granderson end up. Steven Drew really only appears to have one big suitor and that's the Mets. I don't know how Napoli and Morales don't end up right back with their respective teams. Unless the Mets decide to go insane and sign a bunch of players (they could theoretically sign 2 starters, Drew, an outfielder, and one of Morales/Napoli), I'm thinking there's a few guys who get stuck.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Gentry is definitely better than Stubbs....but after this deal, I feel pretty confident we can get something for him that's at least somewhat decent.

Agree...but now, as one of the tweets someone posted mentioned, were not really a fit with the A's to acquire Anderson.

Indians may not be a match with a trade with the A's for Anderson, but don't think it's cause of Stubbs. Rumor is they are looking for "bullpen depth" which the Tribe doesn't really have (at least not the kind the A's are likely looking for). Though that was before the A's got Gregerson for Smith...

The Indians don't have much bullpen depth, but they've got some marketable assets in that pen most notably including Bryan Shaw and Cody Allen. I know the initial reaction to trading one of them would not be popular, but neither was trading Vinnie Pestano last year before he turned into a pumpkin this summer. Shaw was basically a high level throw-in to the Choo-Bauer trade year, and now he's got value. Middle relievers are volatile year-to-year and a buy low, sell high strategy on them may be prudent. If the Indians traded either of Allen or Shaw, they'd absolutely have to acquire some other relievers, though. Losing Perez, Smith and one of those two w/o acquiring others would be a huge blow. Both Allen and Shaw are also low-cost, effective relievers but that would be factored into their trade value meaning the Indians could get more for either. I'm not suggesting the Indians trade Allen or Shaw, but I wouldn't be closed-minded towards moving either.

I wouldn't be closed minded to moving either Shaw or Allen...but not for someone with the injury history of Anderson. Relievers can be volatile, agree completely...but Anderson is just as likely to throw fewer innings than either Shaw or Allen next year as 180 IMO. He's a high risk, high reward guy....IMO can't give up your best relievers for that.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 am

BrianM wrote:I still like the idea of trying to get something done with the Red Sox involving Peavy or Lester. Don't know how it would get done though.

I really don't see us getting Lester but one of Peavy, Lackey, or Dempster I think is very possible. I'd love to try and move Bourn for Peavy (to replace Ellsbury in CF) but not sure the Red Sox are that desperate for OF help.

Do wonder what the Red Sox would think of Brantley. Rumors are the Sox could go after Choo and move Victorino to CF. If they didn't want to lose a pick and spend the money it'll take to get Choo, Brantley may not be a bad get. Can play CF if Bradley isn't ready or move to LF (if Nava is at 1B). 3 years of control at reasonable salaries thru arby....for the right package, I'd move him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 am

Edible14 wrote:

It's like Johnny Damon 2.0!

Also, I would not be surprised if we see a few of the 14 guys who declined qualifying offers end up in Lohse-limbo this year. The number of teams willing to part with a draft pick are limited. The market on those starters is fine enough - between the Yankees, Angels and possibly the Mets, Phillies, Blue Jays and Rangers, there's plenty of suitors for those three guys. The big question mark seems to be outfielders. You can see Choo going to the Tigers, maybe Beltran going to the Yankees. I've got no clue where Nelson Cruz and Curtis Granderson end up. Steven Drew really only appears to have one big suitor and that's the Mets. I don't know how Napoli and Morales don't end up right back with their respective teams. Unless the Mets decide to go insane and sign a bunch of players (they could theoretically sign 2 starters, Drew, an outfielder, and one of Morales/Napoli), I'm thinking there's a few guys who get stuck.

Ellsbury is absolutely nothing like Damon. Keep seeing this but c'mon now. Damon was with the Royals...then moved to the A's....then jumped ship there to sign a big deal in Boston....and THEN jumped to the Yanks.

Ellsbury was drafted by the Red Sox...developed by the Red Sox...and played his whole career with the Red Sox (to this point).

I agree on the guys that turned down QOs though. I think a few of them could be in limbo for a long time. Reports keep saying the Red Sox aren't brining back the 3 they gave offers too (obviously Ells is gone) but both Napoli and Drew make so much sense for the. Consider what the World Series Red Sox infield looked like at the end of 2013 and what it currently looks like for 2014.

2013: Napoli-1B, Pedroia-2B, Drew-SS, Middlebrooks/Boegarts-3B
2014: Nava-1B (by default I guess), Pedroia-2B, Boegarts-SS, Middlebrooks-3B

Nava had a good year but all you did there was move a bat from LF to 1B...thus moving the hole left by Napoli.
Boegarts is a stud but still a rookie, and you don't know which Middlebrooks you're gonna get. I don't see how the Red Sox expect to go into 2014 with that infield. IMO almost have to bring back one of Napoli or Drew....that or make a big trade.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

A.Zajac wrote:Tigers top target is Choo.

He makes a ton of sense...but financially I think it could be a stretch. Never count out the Tigers though...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

I wouldn't be closed minded to moving either Shaw or Allen...but not for someone with the injury history of Anderson. Relievers can be volatile, agree completely...but Anderson is just as likely to throw fewer innings than either Shaw or Allen next year as 180 IMO. He's a high risk, high reward guy....IMO can't give up your best relievers for that.

The thing about Anderson that interested me was being an opportunistic buyer. He's due a good deal of money and the A's appear to have made a decision to move on. Anderson seems to be drawing a lot of interest, so if the Indians have to get into a bidding war for a guy that has hardly pitched the last three years it's less of an opportunity to buy low.

I agree with you in that Anderson is just as likely to throw fewer innings than Shaw or Allen given his track record. However, if he was coming off a 150+ IP season in 2013 and pitched near to the level he's capable of (3.50 ERA, 1.22 WHIP), his price would be Francisco Lindor and perhaps someone else of value.

Also, I don't particularly like him as an impact SP, but Tommy Milone also seems to be an odd man out in Oakland and he's a nice 4 to 5 starter type that throws strikes and commands his deceptive stuff well. Brett Anderson could potentially be a difference maker in a playoff rotation, whereas Milone likely would not be but a solid contributor. His home/road splits aren't too appealing, however.

We'll see what happens. It sounds like Brett Anderson is available and he'll be dealt at the winter meetings, if not sooner. I'm supportive of the Indians offering on him, but the price will have to be determined.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

The thing about Anderson that interested me was being an opportunistic buyer. He's due a good deal of money and the A's appear to have made a decision to move on. Anderson seems to be drawing a lot of interest, so if the Indians have to get into a bidding war for a guy that has hardly pitched the last three years it's less of an opportunity to buy low.

I agree with you in that Anderson is just as likely to throw fewer innings than Shaw or Allen given his track record. However, if he was coming off a 150+ IP season in 2013 and pitched near to the level he's capable of (3.50 ERA, 1.22 WHIP), his price would be Francisco Lindor and perhaps someone else of value.

Also, I don't particularly like him as an impact SP, but Tommy Milone also seems to be an odd man out in Oakland and he's a nice 4 to 5 starter type that throws strikes and commands his deceptive stuff well. Brett Anderson could potentially be a difference maker in a playoff rotation, whereas Milone likely would not be but a solid contributor. His home/road splits aren't too appealing, however.

We'll see what happens. It sounds like Brett Anderson is available and he'll be dealt at the winter meetings, if not sooner. I'm supportive of the Indians offering on him, but the price will have to be determined.

I disagree with you here. Anderson's value never has been worth a top 5 spec in baseball IMO. That's saying that Anderson would have been worth about what Shields was worth...which IMO is not even close to accurate. Had Anderson thrown 150+ innings in 2013 that still would have only been the 2nd time he'd ever done that. Never been a 4-win pitcher. Not even close to worth a top 5 spec. I like Anderson and would like to get him, but he's being pretty overrated IMO. Anderon's ceiling is a #2/3.

With so many teams being in on Anderson...really see why the Tribe isn't a fit and smart thing is probably to back off.

Wouldn't mind Tommy Milone but agree with what you said about him. Backend guy only and home/road splits are pretty ugly. Wouldn't give up much of anything for him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:I still like the idea of trying to get something done with the Red Sox involving Peavy or Lester. Don't know how it would get done though.

I really don't see us getting Lester but one of Peavy, Lackey, or Dempster I think is very possible. I'd love to try and move Bourn for Peavy (to replace Ellsbury in CF) but not sure the Red Sox are that desperate for OF help.

Do wonder what the Red Sox would think of Brantley. Rumors are the Sox could go after Choo and move Victorino to CF. If they didn't want to lose a pick and spend the money it'll take to get Choo, Brantley may not be a bad get. Can play CF if Bradley isn't ready or move to LF (if Nava is at 1B). 3 years of control at reasonable salaries thru arby....for the right package, I'd move him.

I meant Lackey not Lester. He would be my preference out of the three you mentioned because his contract status. Wouldn't touch Dempster though.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm

One pitcher rumored to be available that I haven't heard much chatter with regards to the Tribe is Jeff Samardzija.

A guy that I wasn't originally that big a fan of getting but the more I look at him the more I like him and think he should be a target. Only 2 years left but young and has thrown over 170 innings each of the past two seasons. Struck out a batter an inning this year. ERA in 2013 was nothing special but FIP and xFIP. Feel he's a guy that could replace Ubaldo's innings and front end potential.

Question would be, what's the cost?

Bauer and a middle infielder not named Lindor?

Cubs were rumored to be very interested in Ellsbury....maybe they'd have interest in one of Bourn/Brantley.

And as much as I know everyone will jump on me for this...I wouldn't mind a Bourn for Edwin Jackson deal either...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I disagree with you here. Anderson's value never has been worth a top 5 spec in baseball IMO. That's saying that Anderson would have been worth about what Shields was worth...which IMO is not even close to accurate. Had Anderson thrown 150+ innings in 2013 that still would have only been the 2nd time he'd ever done that. Never been a 4-win pitcher. Not even close to worth a top 5 spec. I like Anderson and would like to get him, but he's being pretty overrated IMO. Anderon's ceiling is a #2/3.

With so many teams being in on Anderson...really see why the Tribe isn't a fit and smart thing is probably to back off.

Wouldn't mind Tommy Milone but agree with what you said about him. Backend guy only and home/road splits are pretty ugly. Wouldn't give up much of anything for him.

OK, you're right that Lindor is too much. I've always liked Anderson, but that's a steep price. My primary point is that if he pitches a 4/5 of a season, his value materially exceeds that of a low cost, middle reliever.

We'll see what the Indians do. Getting into a bidding war for Anderson isn't attractive.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I meant Lackey not Lester. He would be my preference out of the three you mentioned because his contract status. Wouldn't touch Dempster though.

What is Lackey's contract status exactly? I know he has $15.25M for 2014...but what's up with the 2015 option? It was to be for the league min if he missed "significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14". He had TJ in 2011...but was it determined it was a result of the pre-existing elbow injury or a separate issue? Cherington also said "t's based on days missed, it's not based on a specific surgery". If that option is indeed for the league min, that makes Lackey much more enticing...though may mean the Sox are less willing to move him too.

Not a big fan of Dempster too...though he only has 1 year left, which means he won't hurt the 2015 payroll and gives you more ability to potentially extend Masterson.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:I disagree with you here. Anderson's value never has been worth a top 5 spec in baseball IMO. That's saying that Anderson would have been worth about what Shields was worth...which IMO is not even close to accurate. Had Anderson thrown 150+ innings in 2013 that still would have only been the 2nd time he'd ever done that. Never been a 4-win pitcher. Not even close to worth a top 5 spec. I like Anderson and would like to get him, but he's being pretty overrated IMO. Anderon's ceiling is a #2/3.

OK, you're right that Lindor is too much. I've always liked Anderson, but that's a steep price. My primary point is that if he pitches a 4/5 of a season, his value materially exceeds that of a low cost, middle reliever.

We'll see what the Indians do. Getting into a bidding war for Anderson isn't attractive.

I agree if he pitched more last year he'd have more value...but let's not forget his ERA was over 6 when he went on the DL last year. Yes the injury originally happened before that but still not the best sign.

Also want to clarify that I wasn't necessarily saying Anderson was only worth a guy like Shaw. Simply that IMO the Tribe can't afford to deal a guy like Shaw for Anderson with how the pen currently looks. While Shaw could regress/get hurt like Pestano, you don't deal the little bullpen experience you have for an injury prone starter making $8M....at least not IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 am

Hermie.. are there any deals where Bourn continues to wear Chief Wahoo on his sleeve?.. sheesh..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 am

@jcrasnick: Hearing teams need to be in 3-year, $30 million range to engage on Scott Feldman. Yes, the price of starting pitching is high.

Lmao...another reason why FA is just dumb.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 pm

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Brewers announce trade of OF Norichika Aoki to #Royals for LHP Will Smith.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal: #Brewers announce trade of OF Norichika Aoki to #Royals for LHP Will Smith.

Damn. Nice add for the Royals. Lough was nice in RF but Aoki is an upgrade. Him and Gordon at the top of the lineup should be nice for them. Royals having a very solid offseason so far...

May mean no Beltran in KC then? Aoki can play come CF but not sure he's an everyday option there (plus Cain is still there). Maybe if they moved Butler they could fit Beltran in at DH but seems like a bit of a sideways move. Beltran is better but Butler is younger.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Damn. Nice add for the Royals. Lough was nice in RF but Aoki is an upgrade. Him and Gordon at the top of the lineup should be nice for them. Royals having a very solid offseason so far...

May mean no Beltran in KC then? Aoki can play come CF but not sure he's an everyday option there (plus Cain is still there). Maybe if they moved Butler they could fit Beltran in at DH but seems like a bit of a sideways move. Beltran is better but Butler is younger.

I like this pickup for them, couldn't care much less about Jason Vargas signing with them.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

I like this pickup for them, couldn't care much less about Jason Vargas signing with them.

I didn't like the Vargas signing at first but with the price of pitching now it looks better IMO. Still think 4 years was way too much but helps them a lot in 2014....I think they are real threats to win the AL Central right now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 pm

@BNightengale: The #RedSox bolster the bullpen with the signing of reliever Edward Mujica to 2-year, $9.5M deal, per @JeffPassan
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@BNightengale: The #RedSox bolster the bullpen with the signing of reliever Edward Mujica to 2-year, $9.5M deal, per @JeffPassan

Great signing for Boston. Surprised Mujica didn't get 3 years. $4.25M a year for him is not bad....actually wish the Tribe would have gotten him for that. Can close or setup. And have I mentioned I'm still pissed the Tribe let him go years ago? lol

Probably looking too much into this, but this deal makes me think the Tribe is only looking at 1year deals with relievers (or at least 1 guaranteed year)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Great signing for Boston. Surprised Mujica didn't get 3 years. $4.25M a year for him is not bad....actually wish the Tribe would have gotten him for that. Can close or setup. And have I mentioned I'm still pissed the Tribe let him go years ago? lol

Unless they were using him at closer for sure I can't get behind that dollar amount. Think all their $$$ for now is saved for a starter if/when that happens
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Unless they were using him at closer for sure I can't get behind that dollar amount. Think all their $$$ for now is saved for a starter if/when that happens

In Cleveland you would use him as the closer though. And in Boston...well that's less than a few setup guys make, even Joe Smith got more...and Mujica has arguably been better the last few years (including 2013)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:34 pm

@bnicholsonsmith: #BlueJays have checked in on Jamey Carroll per source. So have Rangers, Indians, Rays. Details @sportsnet http://t.co/pgqsCjIfLl

Clearly interest in Jamey Carroll will give the Cleveland talking heads something to complain about.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:42 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@bnicholsonsmith: #BlueJays have checked in on Jamey Carroll per source. So have Rangers, Indians, Rays. Details @sportsnet http://t.co/pgqsCjIfLl

Clearly interest in Jamey Carroll will give the Cleveland talking heads something to complain about.

Makes sense to me. Right now Jose Ramirez may be your utility infielder. IMO he should be playing everday in the minors, not wasting away on the big league club. Carroll is old and skills declining, but on a minor league deal he'd be a solid add.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Makes sense to me. Right now Jose Ramirez may be your utility infielder. IMO he should be playing everday in the minors, not wasting away on the big league club. Carroll is old and skills declining, but on a minor league deal he'd be a solid add.

Agreed. Just dont forget about Aviles. Of course depth should be added especially if there is a chance to move Asdrubal, no matter how remote.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 pm

FWIW

@MLBastian: Indians had an offer out to Mujica that was competitive with 2-yr, $9.5 contract he reportedly has agreed to sign with Boston.

Similar to last season with Shane Victorino.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Agreed. Just dont forget about Aviles. Of course depth should be added especially if there is a chance to move Asdrubal, no matter how remote.

Haven't forgotten about Aviles...but bench now could be Stubbs, Aviles, Raburn, and....Ramirez. And that's before possibly dealing Asdrubal or Stubbs.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:FWIW

@MLBastian: Indians had an offer out to Mujica that was competitive with 2-yr, $9.5 contract he reportedly has agreed to sign with Boston.

Curious how "competitive" it was....since he was likely looking at the closers job in Cleveland as opposed to a setup guy in Boston...pretty disappointed we missed out on him. Was the reliever I wanted the most in free agency.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:FWIW

Curious how "competitive" it was....since he was likely looking at the closers job in Cleveland as opposed to a setup guy in Boston...pretty disappointed we missed out on him. Was the reliever I wanted the most in free agency.

Chance to win a World Series and get paid is hard to compete with no matter how "competitive" the offer was.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 pm

The money issues of this off season are hard for me to fully grasp...it certainly seems like more than the typical upper crust are spending some significant money. Budgets seem to be bigger for most clubs, probably somewhat justified by increasing revenue...but how much more? I'd still not be shocked to see the Tribe come in 90m +...sure they are bargain shoppers, but I get the feeling they still have more latitude than in many years past...we'll see. Along that line, I do not think Stubbs is too pricey to keep as a 4th/5th of in this market of current reality.

From a money perspective, it hard not to like what the Tigers did in moving Fielder (probably a decent on baseball move too, but I do think Kinsler will begin to slide on the field, as well as less productive at Bat) ...even if no $ savings in the short term, it would seem to be setting the stage for another bigger contract/ extension to be added. They sign Nathan to what seems like a fairly palatable free agent contract, but only after shipping out Fister for a fairly minimal haul, and not really that big of a financial savings...net negative with Nathan. Ok, so Detroit is finally short on cash, right? Would you shocked if they still sign Choo? Not saying it is likely, but I would not be surprised at all if they have another big signing. The money confounds me this year!

FWIW, I think the Hughes/ Twins signing was a fine gamble at that number...I would have been with the Indians going that way.

More later...I'm so behind in my baseball chatter! :cool
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Using unorthodox reasoning more than anything, I have finally decided that I'd pass on Brett Anderson. I guess at this point the A's are one of the only teams I hope the Indians don't trade with. Of course it would ultimately rest on what it takes to get said deal done, a steal is a steal.. Ironically, it's yet another reason to be very cautious with what seems to be a pretty crafty front office.
"Reason" #1 - Kazmir. Yes this is not fair. But...... In hindsight if you make a Q.O it would have cost around 14+mil or more if you work out a deal. Now Kazmir is gone and the reality is Oakland is only paying Kazmir 3 million less than the tribe would have this year if both sides couldn't come together on a larger deal.. HQ*
"Reason" #2 - Kazmir has provided the A's the flexibility to shop Anderson around. I am not a fan of trading away anyone of value for Anderson other than a fringy guy. Make that trade (yes I know multi-team deals are possible HQ*) and now Oakland has 2 or more of our players we would of had for 2014 and we have there least favorite SP.
"Reason" #3 - Oakland is a good evaluator of starting pitchers. I would probably be more inclined to listen to the A's guys regarding a pitchers ability/value than our own F.O in most cases. I hate admitting that, but... I would be beyond wary of getting their cast-off. There are still plenty of options that are available on the Anderson level IMO and of course there is always.....
"Reason" #4 - Bartolo Colon. Sign him. :wink
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Cano to the Mariners....10yr/$240M is being reported pending physical next week.

wow...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Granderson to the Mets on a 4 year deal. 60 million.

I really am amused by FA this year.
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Granderson to the Mets on a 4 year deal.

I really am amused by FA this year.

A little surprised they gave him 4 years. Interested in seeing the dollar amount. If it's the rumored $60-64M I don't think that's a bad deal really. Not great but he could be worth it even in that bigger park. 4th year could be ugly though with his age.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:49 pm

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Feldman agrees with #Astros, three years, $30 million, pending physical.

Ha...hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Again. Free agency is just stupid.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm

@JonHeymanCBS: rafael furcal signed for $3M plus incentives with #marlins. @Ken_Rosenthal & @clarkspencer ahead

At least this one isn't quite as insane.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm

This is chaos. We're smart for standing pat.

Most team are still going to function between an 80-100 million dollar payroll the next 5 years. They will be trapped with all these stupid 10 million dollar plus contracts they have. It will make it so much more difficult to extend their own guys, and they will have a lot of trouble trying to move contracts to free up payroll.

I would have to think that these crazy deals wont happen 2 years from now. We have a competitive team, and that's all I need. If we have to wait a couple years to make the right signing that will make us a true championship caliber team, I can wait.

We definitely need to hit on some of our draft picks the next few years and work on the development aspect of our system. Would also like to see us a little more aggressive in the international market before that gets out of hand too.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Phillies reportedly trying to trade Jonathan Papelbon.

He has 2yrs/$26M left plus a $13M vesting option for 2016...

Good luck trying to sell that when Nathan got 2yr/$20M and there are guys like Rodney, Balfour, Perez, Benoit, Veras, Madson, and Axford available. Lots of (much) cheaper closing options available.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 pm

I can see the Indians waiting out the reliever situation, and potentially picking one or two quality/upside arms when the market exhausts itself a bit. I think patience will be rewarded here, but it is not a satiating virtue at the moment.

I find myself hoping that Benoit does not find a home, as I'd love to add him to our pen...I have always liked his stuff/pitching personality...did nothing but help the Tigers last year, and came off very unappreciated.

It is hard to imagine the Phils moving Papelbon without eating a good chunk of cash...of course I have no sympathy for them. Axford seems like a good gamble on the cheap...Of course, CP is out there too....naaah!
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Cano to the Mariners....10yr/$240M is being reported pending physical next week.

wow...

This is why we need to work on extending Kipnis.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Mike Napoli returns to Boston, 2 years 32 million

Carlos Beltran to NY Yankees, 3 years 45 million

Me, to the steroid clinic and baseball academy.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:22 pm

The Beltran to the Yankees signing probably hurts Choo/Boras a bit...I guess it only takes one team to get overly excited about him, but with the Yanks are out of the picture it has to hinder his $/years aspirations.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 pm

El Em wrote:The Beltran to the Yankees signing probably hurts Choo/Boras a bit...I guess it only takes one team to get overly excited about him, but with the Yanks are out of the picture it has to hinder his $/years aspirations.

Doubtful, Heyman lists Texas, Detroit Seattle, and Cincinatti as teams going for Choo
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Cano to the Mariners....10yr/$240M is being reported pending physical next week.

wow...

I don't think this signing has anything to do with Kipnis...

Do think we need to work on extending him though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
El Em wrote:The Beltran to the Yankees signing probably hurts Choo/Boras a bit...I guess it only takes one team to get overly excited about him, but with the Yanks are out of the picture it has to hinder his $/years aspirations.

Doubtful, Heyman lists Texas, Detroit Seattle, and Cincinatti as teams going for Choo

Not much faith in Cincy...does Detroit still have money to spend? If so, it makes dumping Fister even worse...who knows, maybe another 80-90m is negligible for the M' s after buying Cano...in the end Texas may be bidding against themselves. It will be fun to watch, I suppose.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 am

Hermie13 wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

wow...

I don't think this signing has anything to do with Kipnis...

Do think we need to work on extending him though.

Agree on both counts.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors