Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Nolasco to MIN.

4 year 49 million w/club option for 13 million w/1 million dollar buyout.

Good lord. I'm sure Nolasco is likely to help the Twins to a degree but he's going to be 31 and has only hit 200 innings 2 times in 6 years (although pretty close some seasons). I guess that's the price of starting pitching now.

I'll take McAllister and Kluber for pennies on the dollar to Nolasco's new deal.

Amen to that.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:17 pm

How is it possible that not extending a qualifying offer to Kazmir is looking more and more dicey? Still don't think I would have done it, but is 2-3 yrs at 8ish million a yr gonna be worth it if he goes sour again?

What about this Samardzija fella? Worth the risk? Who would the likely suspects be from the Indians to facilitate a trade?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 pm

criznit2009 wrote:How is it possible that not extending a qualifying offer to Kazmir is looking more and more dicey? Still don't think I would have done it, but is 2-3 yrs at 8ish million a yr gonna be worth it if he goes sour again?

What about this Samardzija fella? Worth the risk? Who would the likely suspects be from the Indians to facilitate a trade?

It's been stated recently (and for good reason) that you cannot have a bad one year deal in baseball.. One year of Kazmir at $ 14.1 MM would look pretty good right now.. Best guess, the 2 years $ 8 - 9 MM that was "projected" might be a bit light..

As for Jeff "Shark" Samardzija.. If you listen to Cubs fans.. they want Archie Bradley and Tyler Skaggs and two more prospects from the DBax.. or Aaron Sanchez & Stroman and two more prospects from the Jays.. In short..the 'return' to the Cubs is looking like looney tunes has taken over.. but that's typical of that group.. As far as what it would take...no doubt, start with Danny Salazar... after that, IDK..

The question posed: Is he worth the risk?. simply stated Yes... if the Indians are in the market for a guy that will give them 200 IP as an SP that works the # 2 / # 3 slot..the Samardzija is a guy they should consider. His stuff and ability aren't necessarily found in 'classical stats'.. He's a helluva pitcher that the Cubs SHOULD extend.. He's under team control for two more years and will be paid around $ 17 MM over that time frame. He'd be a solid addition to the Indians starting rotation.. imho..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 pm

criznit2009 wrote:How is it possible that not extending a qualifying offer to Kazmir is looking more and more dicey? Still don't think I would have done it, but is 2-3 yrs at 8ish million a yr gonna be worth it if he goes sour again?

Good question. I actually tried asking it in one of MLBTR's chats, but did not get a response. I know the Cubs wanted Chisenhall in the Garza deal, but they have a ton of depth at third base now with Bryant, Olt, and Baez, so hes out of the discussion.

I know they are asking for Tyler Skaggs from the D'Backs, so I imagine they would ask for Salazar. People don't think they will be able to land Skaggs, so I definitely don't think they are getting Salazar.

If we were to make an offer, I would think it would start with Bauer. Bauer+CC Lee+Anderson+JRam/Naquin is probably what were talking. They are probably going to land 2 top 100-125 guys from someone unless someone offers up a top 40 type prospect, so were not really in a great spot unless they still believe in Bauer. Salazar is our most valuable trade piece outside of Lindor, and I'd rather take my chances on him that the under performing Shark.

It is a good question though. The guy from MLBTR mentioned 3 teams as front runners, but did mention Cleveland as the dark horse in one of his chats. That kind of surprised me. I am curious to follow this story throughout the winter.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:45 pm

For what it's worth Chris Cotillo (to be fair he now has a decent reputation) on The Twitter has the Indians listed as on of 4 teams interested in Ed Mujica.

@ChrisCotillo: Story on the Edward Mujica market heating up #Indians #Orioles #Phillies #Cubs http://t.co/2s7qVrxN2v
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 am

3 years/$24 million for Phil Hughes with Minnesota.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:10 pm

A.Zajac wrote:3 years/$24 million for Phil Hughes with Minnesota.

This made me smile a little bit until I'm reminded that both Kazmir & Ubaldo are about to get overpaid by somebody else.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am

A.Zajac wrote:3 years/$24 million for Phil Hughes with Minnesota.

Unfortunately...great signing by Minnesota. Hughes was very solid away from Yankee Stadium...going to Minnesota and that park...gonna be great for him and the Twins.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 am

David Schoenfield over at ESPN had a fun little article up with five 3-team trade ideas. One involved the Indians, thought I'd post it:

Indians: Trade Asdrubal Cabrera, Joe Wendle, acquire Homer Bailey

Orioles: Trade Bud Norris, Mike Wright, acquire Cabrera

Reds: Trade Bailey, acquire Norris, Wright, Wendle

Adding Home Bailey would be very nice IMO for the Tribe. Not too expensive. Does only have one year left but if he pitches like he has could be a QO guy (getting you at worst a draft pick). Wouldn't want to part with Wendle but we have depth up the middle so makes sense to deal from there. Not sure this deal makes much sense for the Orioles who need pitching though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Scott Kazmir to Oakland. 2 year deal no word on the money.

EDIT: @JimBowdenESPNxm: Kazmir agrees to 2yrs $22m deal with A's #Confirmed
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Scott Kazmir to Oakland. 2 year deal no word on the money.

2yr/$22M "confirmed" according to Bowden
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

$11 million a year for Kazmir? NO THANKS!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

That sucks. Might as well see what Oakland wants for Brett Anderson. Colon might be a realistic option at this point too.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:38 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

$11 million a year for Kazmir? NO THANKS!

meh. $10M a year seemed reasonable when the offseason started. Don't think $11M a year is that outrageous. Still think a QO was the best way to go for Cleveland.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

I think people's first reaction would be that the Indians should have offered him a QO, given that he signed for more than the projected amount.

I think a QO on Kazmir would have really hurt his free agent status as a fairly marginal SP, and he would have likely taken the Indians qualifying offer. Whether Kazmir on a $14MM, 1-year deal is good or not, I'm not sure. He was left for dead not too long ago, and somehow fought his way back this year. I don't think the Indians are big believers in him, and only got him in the first place because he was a low-risk signing.

Regarding the Indians, this signing probably means Brett Anderson is quite available through a trade. Anderson isn't cheap at around $8 million next year with a $1.5 million buyout on his $12 million 2015 option. I'd like to see the Indians take a run at him, although I'm not sure what they have to offer the A's. His price shouldn't be too high because he's hardly pitched the last three years.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I think people's first reaction would be that the Indians should have offered him a QO, given that he signed for more than the projected amount.

I think a QO on Kazmir would have really hurt his free agent status as a fairly marginal SP, and he would have likely taken the Indians qualifying offer. Whether Kazmir on a $14MM, 1-year deal is good or not, I'm not sure. He was left for dead not too long ago, and somehow fought his way back this year. I don't think the Indians are big believers in him, and only got him in the first place because he was a low-risk signing.

Regarding the Indians, this signing probably means Brett Anderson is quite available through a trade. Anderson isn't cheap at around $8 million next year with a $1.5 million buyout on his $12 million 2015 option. I'd like to see the Indians take a run at him, although I'm not sure what they have to offer the A's. His price shouldn't be too high because he's hardly pitched the last three years.

I was one that said the Tribe should have made a QO...fully expecting him to accept it. Doesn't mean that he would have made $14.1M in 2014 though. Could have worked out a 2year deal or given him less in 2014 with a 2015 optoin and buyout. I suggested a 1year $12M deal with $2.5M buyout on a 2015 option. IMO, Kaz would have taken that (more than his QO, and would have made about what he just took). You're probably right though on the Indians not being huge believers that he can duplicate it. Kind of surprising to me though considering his velocity went up every month and he was arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball in the month of September. Not that upset we lost him as gotta have faith that Tribe knows what they're doing. Still need to bring in a pitcher IMO though...

As far as Anderson...I proposed an Asdrubal for Anderson deal a little while back (or something involving those two as the main pieces). Some reports say the A's are looking for a 2B. Beane had some interest in AC back when Haren was being dealt years ago. No clue if there'd still be any interest but money wise in 2014 it would be close to a wash. Maybe the Tribe gets Callaspo back as well saving the A's some money. Callaspo/Chiz platoon at 3B, Aviles starts at short with either Ramirez or a free agent brought in (or maybe deal for Pennington in AZ).

I don't think the price for Anderson will be as low as some would think. Not with how much pitching is costing this winter.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Could see JP Arencibia go to the Red Sox for a pair of Minor League pitchers in a few hours.. it's being whispered on the Internet right now.. Gomez and Gunkey.. or something like that..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:29 pm

No more Doug Fister for the Tigers.. he was traded to the Nationals for three bags of opened David Sunflower Seeds, some stick rosin and a Willie Horton Signed First Baseman's glove..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 am

Lots of stuff happening today

Fister is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. Having him out of the division is great, but Tony has mentioned that they probably have something else up their sleeve, and I unfortunately agree.

Tommy Hanson and Daniel Hudson released. Hudson had the injury concerns and will probably still re-up with Arizona, but Hanson may be worth a look. Mickey Calloway makes any high upside starter worth a look.

Oakland trading for Jim Johnson. I have no idea what motivated Billy Beane to make this trade. With so many decent closers on the market, why would he want to take on that salary? The chances they deal Anderson probably went way up after this deal.

Omar Quintanilla released by the Mets. Not really significant, but may be an option to play SS if ACab gets dealt. Don't really want him, not a lot of options at SS though.

I'm surprised more has not been said of our need for a backup catcher. I guess we don't absolutely need one if Santana catches 25% of games, but I'm not getting the impression that that is the plan. If Santana is catching infrequently, and Gomes goes down with an injury, I'm not sure I would want a rusty Santana back there frequently, and we dont have much coming through the system that could contribute. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Indians show a little interest in Arrencibia.

Andrew Bailey released. Was pitching well before he got hurt. Another closer to add to the market, but shoulder injuries are scary.

Jerome Williams also released by LA. Always did a decent job when called upon. May be worth a look.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:17 am

BrianM wrote:Lots of stuff happening today

Tommy Hanson and Daniel Hudson released. Hudson had the injury concerns and will probably still re-up with Arizona, but Hanson may be worth a look. Mickey Calloway makes any high upside starter worth a look.

Completely agree. Could be a good depth signing that blossoms....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 am

Marson and Carson are gone. No big losses. Cloyd is also a free agent now, not a big surprise.

Fister being traded is strange. I get that Detroit had an abundance of starting pitching, but Fister was one of their most cost-controlled arms. I would have guessed they would have tried to trade Sanchez first given his long and lucrative contract. Hell, given that Verlander is on the wrong side of 30 and is still under contract until 2019, I wouldn't have even put it past them to deal him. It will not surprise me if Fister makes the least between what were their three arby eligible starters - the others being Porcello and Scherzer. There's a sense that this is a prelude to another big move, but I'm unsure of what they would want. They still have a very good 5 man rotation, the only real hole on the team is LF. Beltran and Choo make a certain amount of sense for them. They still have a lot of money tied-up long-term, so I can't think they'll take on Cano or trade for David Wright or Tulo.

Re: Omar Quintanilla: No. The Indians have plenty of options at SS. Aviles is there, Ramirez can play it, they can call up Ronny Rodriguez if things get really desperate (or even add Juan Diaz back to the mix). The guy's career OBP is .288. We don't need that.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 am

Edible14 wrote:Marson and Carson are gone. No big losses. Cloyd is also a free agent now, not a big surprise.

Fister being traded is strange. I get that Detroit had an abundance of starting pitching, but Fister was one of their most cost-controlled arms. I would have guessed they would have tried to trade Sanchez first given his long and lucrative contract. Hell, given that Verlander is on the wrong side of 30 and is still under contract until 2019, I wouldn't have even put it past them to deal him. It will not surprise me if Fister makes the least between what were their three arby eligible starters - the others being Porcello and Scherzer. There's a sense that this is a prelude to another big move, but I'm unsure of what they would want. They still have a very good 5 man rotation, the only real hole on the team is LF. Beltran and Choo make a certain amount of sense for them. They still have a lot of money tied-up long-term, so I can't think they'll take on Cano or trade for David Wright or Tulo.

Re: Omar Quintanilla: No. The Indians have plenty of options at SS. Aviles is there, Ramirez can play it, they can call up Ronny Rodriguez if things get really desperate (or even add Juan Diaz back to the mix). The guy's career OBP is .288. We don't need that.

I know people keep disagreeing for some reason, but I'll say it again...the Tigers are actually cash strapped right now. Again, before the Fister trade their team payroll was already $148M without a single addition (that's after the Fielder trade too). They needed to move some salary. Even they don't have unlimited pockets. The $7M or so they will save on Fister can be put towards Wilson or another closer. They can also add a LFer now if they want and only increase payroll a few million from last year. I don't see any way the Tigers open with a payroll over $160M.

Agree, can't see them signing Cano or trading for Tulo (don't have the specs to get him IMO). I do think they could be players for Headley though.

Not sure what you mean by Scherzer's "Long and lucrative contract"...he has 1 year left before free agency...and it's an arbitration year (not signed yet).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 am

BrianM wrote:Lots of stuff happening today

Fister is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. Having him out of the division is great, but Tony has mentioned that they probably have something else up their sleeve, and I unfortunately agree.

Oakland trading for Jim Johnson. I have no idea what motivated Billy Beane to make this trade. With so many decent closers on the market, why would he want to take on that salary? The chances they deal Anderson probably went way up after this deal.

Omar Quintanilla released by the Mets. Not really significant, but may be an option to play SS if ACab gets dealt. Don't really want him, not a lot of options at SS though.

I'm surprised more has not been said of our need for a backup catcher. I guess we don't absolutely need one if Santana catches 25% of games, but I'm not getting the impression that that is the plan. If Santana is catching infrequently, and Gomes goes down with an injury, I'm not sure I would want a rusty Santana back there frequently, and we dont have much coming through the system that could contribute. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Indians show a little interest in Arrencibia.

Andrew Bailey released. Was pitching well before he got hurt. Another closer to add to the market, but shoulder injuries are scary.

Jerome Williams also released by LA. Always did a decent job when called upon. May be worth a look.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also a depth starting pitching addition for the A's. There were talks of the O's moving Johnson to the rotation...A's could potentially try the same. In any case, I agree seems as though Anderson is on the way out.

I believe Andrew Bailey is slated to miss the first half of the year. If he was ready by spring training I'd go after him but as you said, shoulder injuries are scary.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 am

A.J. Pierzynski to the Red Sox. Makes a lot of sense IMO. Solid vet and can platoon with Lavarnway. A guy I wouldn't have minded in Cleveland.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 am

Daniel Hudson is absolutely worth a look. That's actually quite surprising he was non-tendered. Perhaps his elbow is really screwed up. He re-tore his UCL rehabbing his last Tommy John surgery (he's had two surgeries in the last year and a half), but this guy could be a solid 3 starter in 2015.

I worry about Tommy Hanson's arm being shot (I never liked his arm action), but nonetheless he'd be the kind of value sign that should interest the Indians.

I still like the idea of signing Scott Baker.

I guess its not shocking news, but Drew Stubbs was a non-tender candidate and the Indians will offer him a contract. The Indians have a good deal of money tied up in Stubbs, Bourn and Murphy. You'd have to think there's going to be another move regarding Stubbs or Bourn.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:14 am

Tommy Hanson worries me as well. Daniel Hudson is absolutely worth an inquiry. If were discussing injury reclamation projects...there's always Roy Halladay.....

FWIW on The Twitter just now from Buster Olney

@Buster_ESPN: Oakland is said to be working through Brett Anderson trade possibilities; Seattle and Cleveland are among the interested teams.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:35 am

OhioBaseball wrote:Daniel Hudson is absolutely worth a look. That's actually quite surprising he was non-tendered. Perhaps his elbow is really screwed up. He re-tore his UCL rehabbing his last Tommy John surgery (he's had two surgeries in the last year and a half), but this guy could be a solid 3 starter in 2015.

I worry about Tommy Hanson's arm being shot (I never liked his arm action), but nonetheless he'd be the kind of value sign that should interest the Indians.

I still like the idea of signing Scott Baker.

I guess its not shocking news, but Drew Stubbs was a non-tender candidate and the Indians will offer him a contract. The Indians have a good deal of money tied up in Stubbs, Bourn and Murphy. You'd have to think there's going to be another move regarding Stubbs or Bourn.

With regards to Stubbs...I think the Tribe is looking at what Chris Young got on the open market (over $7M). Stubbs may not even get $4M in arbitration. Sure maybe you don't get much of anything for him but Stubbs is a better defender with more speed (and was just better overall this year) than Young. Someone will take him I'm sure. Plus he's good insurance in case you are able to trade Bourn.

I'd be on board with either of Hudson or Hanson on the right deal.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Brett Anderson.. replacing Scott Kazmir via trade.. that would be an impact move that could truly help the Indians if Brett Anderson is completely over the stress fracture in his foot.. The question becomes.. what are the A's looking for ?.. Well, Billy Beane was quoted saying:

..Beane: It’s more the guys we’re losing who have to be replaced. We’re losing our closer, Grant Balfour, who’s a free agent, so we have to add somebody for the back end of the game. We lost Chris Young, who was our right-handed-hitting outfielder, so we can use someone in that role....

The Closer role has been covered with the A's trade for Jim Johnson (and his ~ $ 9 - 10 MM salary). The A's sent a lesser depth middle infield guy, Jemile Weeks, in trade, so they may have a need for a middle infield 'depth' addition.

The right handed OF'er spot is still open.. hmm..

Does this sound like a:

A's get either Asdrubal or Jose Ramirez and Drew Stubbs
Indians get Brett Anderson

Could be more to it.. some money changing hands in either direction:

-If it's Droobs and Stubbs ( $ 14 MM +)..for Brett Anderson ($ 8 MM) then $ 6 MM difference needs to be compensated.
-If it's Jose Ramirez and Stubbs, ($ 4.5 MM) for Brett Anderson ($ 8 MM) then the $ 3.5 MM difference needs addressing..

.. The Indians could want more in return or the A's could want more in return. It's an odd trade with respect to what each team has.. and what each team would want in return..I can say that the A's Michaels (Choice and Ynoa) are both prospects to covet.. IDK it would work out, but the fit seems appropriate..the details could make this type of deal work...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Brett Anderson.. replacing Scott Kazmir via trade.. that would be an impact move that could truly help the Indians if Brett Anderson is completely over the stress fracture in his foot.. The question becomes.. what are the A's looking for ?.. Well, Billy Beane was quoted saying:

..Beane: It’s more the guys we’re losing who have to be replaced. We’re losing our closer, Grant Balfour, who’s a free agent, so we have to add somebody for the back end of the game. We lost Chris Young, who was our right-handed-hitting outfielder, so we can use someone in that role....

The Closer role has been covered with the A's trade for Jim Johnson (and his ~ $ 9 - 10 MM salary). The A's sent a lesser depth middle infield guy, Jemile Weeks, in trade, so they may have a need for a middle infield 'depth' addition.

Does this sound like a:

-If it's Droobs and Stubbs ( $ 14 MM +)..for Brett Anderson ($ 8 MM) then $ 6 MM difference needs to be compensated.
-If it's Jose Ramirez and Stubbs, ($ 4.5 MM) for Brett Anderson ($ 8 MM) then the $ 3.5 MM difference needs addressing..

.. The Indians could want more in return or the A's could want more in return. It's an odd trade with respect to what each team has.. and what each team would want in return..I can say that the A's Michaels (Choice and Ynoa) are both prospects to covet.. IDK it would work out, but the fit seems appropriate..the details could make this type of deal work...

I've suggested Asrubal for Anderson and Callaspo. I don't think the Indians need to throw in more to get Anderson (though I wouldn't be opposed to adding Stubbs) as I'd be concerned not only with Anderson's health but skill. ERA was over 6 prior to getting hurt last year and ERA was over 7 in his 5 starts prior to getting hurt. Obviously small sample but no guarantee he's better than Carrasco in the rotation.

That said...Asdrubal and Stubbs for Anderson and Callaspo....I'd definitely consider it (would ask for something else from the A's though). Callaspo platoons with Chiz at 3B, Aviles moves to short til Lindor is ready. Still would have $5-8M or so to spend elsewhere if you wanted (bullpen/closer?). A's move a 5th starter (for them)/bullpen guy and a utility infielder for a starting 2B and backup OFer (not sure they need one though?).

I can't imagine the A's would deal Choice, though I would not be opposed to getting him at all.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:05 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Brett Anderson.. replacing Scott Kazmir via trade.. that would be an impact move that could truly help the Indians if Brett Anderson is completely over the stress fracture in his foot.. The question becomes.. what are the A's looking for ?.. Well, Billy Beane was quoted saying:

Does this sound like a:

That Beane quote is a good find GSon. Stubbs sounds like a perfect fit. Don't know what else would be included in the deal, but I don't think the A's could afford to take on ACab's salary.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:38 pm

@JeffPassan: Sources: Oakland acquires Craig Gentry, Texas gets Michael Choice. More pieces involved.

God damn Oakland is going crazy.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@JeffPassan: Sources: Oakland acquires Craig Gentry, Texas gets Michael Choice. More pieces involved.

Well, I'm eating some crow tonight. Wow. Can't believe they moved Choice....gotta imagine a lot more is going to Oakland, something significant. Gentry is a nice role player and all but wow!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Well, I'm eating some crow tonight. Wow. Can't believe they moved Choice....gotta imagine a lot more is going to Oakland, something significant. Gentry is a nice role player and all but wow!

@JeffPassan: Final trade between Oakland and Texas: A's get Craig Gentry and Josh Lindblom, Rangers get Michael Choice and Chris Bostick.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Reds trading catcher Ryan Hanigan to #Rays, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. May be three-team deal.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Athletics are NOT the third team in the Hanigan trade with #Rays and #Reds.

Im a fan of Hanigan, not a star but a quality catcher.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal: #Reds trading catcher Ryan Hanigan to #Rays, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. May be three-team deal.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Athletics are NOT the third team in the Hanigan trade with #Rays and #Reds.

When it was first reported Hannigan could be on the move....immediately said the Rays. Solid catcher with OBP skills, fits them perfectly. Though do think it makes a little less sense after the Molina resign. Maybe Lobaton is on the move?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Gentry is definitely better than Stubbs....but after this deal, I feel pretty confident we can get something for him that's at least somewhat decent.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

When it was first reported Hannigan could be on the move....immediately said the Rays. Solid catcher with OBP skills, fits them perfectly. Though do think it makes a little less sense after the Molina resign. Maybe Lobaton is on the move?

@johnfayman: #Reds deal is 3-way with Rays, D-Backs. Don't know players yet. Should be announced shortly.

Would figure Lobaton is the odd man out.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby theshow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Still cant believe we did offer Kazmir a Qualifying offer.... unreal... would have for sure netted us a pick
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Now, according to Susan Slusser of the SF Chronicle, a third team, the Blue Jays, have entered the fray and want in on the Bret Anderson deal/talks.. She further elaborates that a deal for him could be happening as early as today.. We'll see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:27 pm

theshow wrote:Still cant believe we did offer Kazmir a Qualifying offer.... unreal... would have for sure netted us a pick

Disagree. He for for sure would have accepted.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Now, according to Susan Slusser of the SF Chronicle, a third team, the Blue Jays, have entered the fray and want in on the Bret Anderson deal/talks.. She further elaborates that a deal for him could be happening as early as today.. We'll see...

Not surprised at all with the Jays being interested. Not sure he makes much sense for a team with that many issues but they do need help. Also heard the Twins could be in on Anderson. Talk about a team trying to make over their rotation.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

@johnfayman: #Reds deal is 3-way with Rays, D-Backs. Don't know players yet. Should be announced shortly.

Would figure Lobaton is the odd man out.

Would not mind Lobaton in a Tribe uniform actually. Would make a solid backup to Gomes, capable of starting if needed. Allows Santana to burn his catchers gear. Hard to say what the Rays would want for him. Still think Stubbs makes perfect sense for the Rays. Doubt a straight up Stubbs for Lobaton would work with catching being so scarce but maybe work something out around those guys.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Now, according to Susan Slusser of the SF Chronicle, a third team, the Blue Jays, have entered the fray and want in on the Bret Anderson deal/talks.. She further elaborates that a deal for him could be happening as early as today.. We'll see...

Her tweets make me less optimistic about an Anderson to the Indians trade, or at least one that comes at low cost to the Indians...

Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser
Other teams believe #Athletics not done today or at least this week. #BlueJays remain "infatuated" with Brett Anderson, an ML exec says.

Other teams believed to be talking about Anderson include #Twins; #Indians have inquired but might not be a good fit for a trade. #Athletics

One ML exec says he wouldn't be surprised if #RedSox and #Orioles are in on Anderson. Lots of interest because of age, ability when healthy.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Saw this and found it interesting....since July the A's have traded their 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 first round picks (Simmons, Weeks, Green, and Choice)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:

Her tweets make me less optimistic about an Anderson to the Indians trade, or at least one that comes at low cost to the Indians...

Other teams believe #Athletics not done today or at least this week. #BlueJays remain "infatuated" with Brett Anderson, an ML exec says.

Other teams believed to be talking about Anderson include #Twins; #Indians have inquired but might not be a good fit for a trade. #Athletics

One ML exec says he wouldn't be surprised if #RedSox and #Orioles are in on Anderson. Lots of interest because of age, ability when healthy.

OB..you may be correct..some Bay Area guy posted this comment at MLB Tr :

..3:08pm: The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (on Twitter). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth...

Bullpen depth... the Indians have bullpen depth.. Bullpen depth is a can of ants that doesn't have a firm definition..could be anyone...like:

..The Padres have acquired outfielder Seth Smith from the A's in exchange for right-hander Luke Gregerson in a one-for-one swap, according to Chris Kusiolek (on Twitter). Multiple national outlets have confirmed the trade, including FOX Sports and Yahoo Sports..
So, do the A's have a new deficit needing an OF'er?..perhaps a left handed one who can lead off? Perhaps one that is undervalued by today's market.. etc.. hmm... ?

Maybe Billy Beane is infatuated with a guy like Bourn.. if the Indians were to add some cash to the deal?..
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Gentry is definitely better than Stubbs....but after this deal, I feel pretty confident we can get something for him that's at least somewhat decent.

Agree...but now, as one of the tweets someone posted mentioned, were not really a fit with the A's to acquire Anderson.

I think MLBTR has Lobaton going to the White Sox. Nobody seems to know exactly what is going on with that 3 (or 4?) team trade right now.

The stove is getting pretty hot hot hot right now, but the Indians need to do something. Every other team in the division has made MAJOR moves to try to improve while the Indians have watched 2 of their best pitchers leave and will probably see Ubaldo do the same thing.

I guess the Royals haven't technically made a major move, but if they are able to land Beltran along with acquiring Choice and Vargas, they are putting themselves in the drivers seat for that 2nd spot in the division. The Twins missed on Salty, but if they land Anderson somehow, they will be a much improved team.

I'm not worried about finding a bat...I think our offense will be fine this year. I expect Swisher and Bourn to adjust to the league and come closer to performing like they were expected, and it a actually seems more logical to assume that Asdrubal will perform more like the 2011 version of himself considering it is his contract year (I'm gonna do a project and look up people numbers during their contract year the last five years). This should be enough of a boost to keep our offense competitive.

Our rotation is what worries me. Salazar could break down or simply struggle if he can't develop that third pitch. Kluber is still unproven and could have been a one-year-wonder. McCallister could be great, or could get knocked around, or hurt like last year. Even Masterson could pitch more like a 3-4 starter he was in 2012 rather than the 1-2 starter he was last year. We need someone we can ink into the rotation from day one and hopefully at least one reclamation project as added insurance.

If we need to deal Bourn to give us the opportunity to sign an even average starter, I would be totally on board with it. Does SD need a CF? They have plenty of pitching depth.

I'm not really worried or anything yet, but considering how fast these guys are going off the board now, I would like to see at least one or two of the Dice-K/Kazmir (DHudson/Hanson) type deals made to at least ensure that were not picking up scraps in February.

As Im typing this the A's deal Seth Smith. I would have taken him over Murphy if it meant us saving the money. I may have taken him before Murphy anyway.

**Edit** Choice went to the Rangers, not the Royals
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm

San Diego has Maybin.. signed through 2017, or there about..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm

BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Gentry is definitely better than Stubbs....but after this deal, I feel pretty confident we can get something for him that's at least somewhat decent.

Agree...but now, as one of the tweets someone posted mentioned, were not really a fit with the A's to acquire Anderson.

Indians may not be a match with a trade with the A's for Anderson, but don't think it's cause of Stubbs. Rumor is they are looking for "bullpen depth" which the Tribe doesn't really have (at least not the kind the A's are likely looking for). Though that was before the A's got Gregerson for Smith...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Rumors Beltan might go to KC instead for 3 years/$48 million .. Stay tuned.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Indians may not be a match with a trade with the A's for Anderson, but don't think it's cause of Stubbs. Rumor is they are looking for "bullpen depth" which the Tribe doesn't really have (at least not the kind the A's are likely looking for). Though that was before the A's got Gregerson for Smith...

Yeah, I'm sure they would be asking for Shaw or Allen, and those guys are not really expendable. A ton of teams are also showing interest now, so a bidding war could jack up the price.

I really did think GSon was onto something though when he found that quote by Beane. Stubbs just made so much sense in that situation

I'm not that interested in many of the remaining FA's. I don't like the idea of signing anyone for more than 3 years, and the guys who have nice upside and could be had for less are quite risky. Maybe the FO will surprise me and be a major player for Ubaldo. That would be my preference at this point.

I would much rather acquire someone through trade. ACab and Bourn are our best trade assets, but all these reports coming out mention that the teams looking to move quality players are doing so in order to shed some payroll, so Bourn and Acab definitely lose some value in those scenarios.

We dont really have the prospects to do anything major either. Lindor should be untouchable, and while I would be willing to deal Salazar (he should actually great value), that would just be creating another hole.

I'm thinking our best chances to acquire a top notch piece through trade would be to get involved in a 3 or 4 team deal where ACab and Bourn's contract status will be less significant. Eventually a David Price deal will be made. Its possible that the team acquiring him could then have an expendable pitcher, and we could get invloved that way. I'm not sure, just trying to be creative. I just think it is going to be tough to get a "now" piece by dealing Bourn or ACab.

I still like the idea of trying to get something done with the Red Sox involving Peavy or Lester. Don't know how it would get done though.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors