RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tribe to sign David Murphy

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tribe to sign David Murphy

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Reports are saying the Indians are finalizing a 2year deal with David Murphy in the $10M range.

Not in love with the signing but think it's solid. Decent platoon option for Raburn. Had a down 2013 but solid before (kind of like Raburn from a year ago).

Probably means Stubbs is gone...unless they move Bourn.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Tribe to sign David Murphy

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

This is one of those moves that may become clearer in about a month or so. But right now I don't see the need for this guy. Especially at $10 million for 2 years.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby BrianM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:16 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:This is one of those moves that may become clearer in about a month or so. But right now I don't see the need for this guy. Especially at $10 million for 2 years.

He was really good 2 seasons ago. The Oakland A's have been using Raburn/Murphy like platoons for almost a decade now and killing it. If both guys produce in their role we could have the equivalent of a .290 hitter with 25-30 HR and 90 RBI. A good platoon is so underrated.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am

Meh, an okay signing, but I feel like the money could have been better spent elsewhere. And still not really getting the power we need.

Think this means the end of Stubbs, though.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 am

While it could signal an imminent trade of Stubbs, the reality is the Indians now have some depth in the OF that they didn't have before the Murphy signing.. Other than Carlos Moncrief.. perhaps LeVon Washington, D'Vone McClure and Luigi Rodriguez lower in the farm system.. there are no impact outfielders until the Indians reach down to Clint Frazier and Tyler Naquin.. This was a move for depth and the possible upside Murphy can bring if he's used properly..

It doesn't necessarily mean the end of Stubbs..but it can.. If there was a time when defense was given weight, the outfield defense should be where it's weight is needed. Simply stated, Ryan Raburn is a terrible OF'er.. He's better suited as a utility player (OF/2B/3B perhap 1B and DH)..not outfield. A platoon of David Murphy and Drew Stubbs plus the availability of Stubbs as a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner.. makes a lot of sense and makes the Indians a better team with Stubbs..than without him. The platoon numbers for run creation fully support both Stubbs and Raburn as the right handed side of the platoon, btw:

Last 3 years: vs RHP......................................vs LHP
................Murphy 108 wRC+..........................64 wRC+
................Stubbs 67 wRC+...........................119 wRC+
................Raburn 74 wRC+.......................... 109 wRC+

If the Indians want to get better across the board, then keeping Stubbs at $ 3.8 MM makes sense...it makes even more sense if you believe that Nick Swisher's days as an OF'er are over....

Thoughts?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
If the Indians want to get better across the board, then keeping Stubbs at $ 3.8 MM makes sense...it makes even more sense if you believe that Nick Swisher's days as an OF'er are over....

If Swisher was still able to play RF I would disagree with you, but Tony seems pretty confident when he says the team will not be playing him out there next season, so I'm going to have to agree with you. This team would be way better defensively with Stubbs in right rather than Raburn.

I'm not upset with the Swisher signing, and I think he will have a comeback year this year on offense, but his inability to play the OF now really hurts his value to the club. If he was still able to play OF, I would be more inclined to deal Bourn rather than Stubbs. Stubbs and Raburn could play CF and RF against lefties, and then against lefties Brantley could shift from left to center while Swisher and Murphy could handle the corners. We wouldn't be losing very much statistically in this scenario, but it would shed enough payroll to sign a nice number SP...maybe even enough to bring Ubaldo back.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I give this signing an elongated hmmmmmmm. Nothing wrong with it - he is a "bounce-back" type and he is not expected to shoulder a disproportionate amount of the load. Though Raburn had a great year at the plate, he is not an ideal OFer and he has yet to demonstrate a proven record of reliability.. I mean he was so bad/inconsistent he was DFA'd oh not so long ago. Its a good safe/stabilizing move to make right now. Pencil in our RF as Raburn/Murphy.

The deal could easily go south though (cough cough Dellucci!)- if it somehow prevents signing other FA's in in our price range that end up being better deals or he doesn't bounce back and continues to fall... As of today I'd rather have 5 million to spend towards a SP then Murphy so I really hope this deal has no affect on how the tribe was going to/is going to spend money this off-season.

Now I know everyone is thinking Stubbs is they guy who is on the move, and I agree he is the most likely candidate, Buuuut, lets not forget about CF/LF Michael Brantley. Couldn't be the centerpiece of a major trade but has good value and could be used in some way to bolster the rotation or even 3B. Same thing could be said about Bourn who certainly has more ability value, but his contract definitely reduces his overall value while in Brantley's case, his contract is a boon.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:23 am

It was initially hard for me to get excited by the Murphy signing, but as I begin to survey this year's financial landscape, it starts to seem pretty reasonable....nice potential upside.

I am not sure it is necessary to trade Stubbs...I would like to keep him, as he brings useful tools to the lineup/ bench....maybe 3.8m is not so unmanagble in this baseball economy?
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 am

BrianM wrote:
I'm not upset with the Swisher signing, and I think he will have a comeback year this year on offense, but his inability to play the OF now really hurts his value to the club. If he was still able to play OF, I would be more inclined to deal Bourn rather than Stubbs. Stubbs and Raburn could play CF and RF against lefties, and then against lefties Brantley could shift from left to center while Swisher and Murphy could handle the corners. We wouldn't be losing very much statistically in this scenario, but it would shed enough payroll to sign a nice number SP...maybe even enough to bring Ubaldo back.

Brian

Would you really want Ubaldo back on 3-4 year deal at 14/15m per ( assuming he could even be had for that)? I am just not a believer in his long term stability...at least not for a team like the Indians...too big a risk. Who knows, maybe he has figured it out....?

L
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 am

Unless Bourn is moved, Stubbs is a goner.

He's the 5th OFer now, maybe 6th if you count Swisher. Bench is Raburn, Aviles, Marson (or backup catcher) and Giambi or someone else. Stubbs makes too much to buried that deep on the bench. Tribe has already gotten a number of calls on him according to reports and they need a 40-man spot. Stubbs is gonna be traded unless Bourn (or Brantley) is. Still hoping for Bourn though. Tigers moved a big money player to fill a need. Tribe should try and do the same IMO. Brantley can handle CF or Stubbs could. Frees up money for the rotation/another bat. Kipnis is a better leadoff option anyways.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

The good news in the "Stubbs is a goner" scenario is that he may yield a pretty decent return...I do not think his salary will be too hard to swallow in this market.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Beyond The Minors