RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Turner Field to be demolished

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Turner Field to be demolished

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am

When I read the news that Turner Field in Atlanta was being replaced by a smaller park in another county, my first reaction was: Why?
Turner Field is beautiful and opened in 1997. It was converted from the Olympic stadium, and is very close to the grounds of the old Fulton County stadium.
One of the reasons I love baseball is that the ballparks are usually there for generations. I can tell my kids stories about old Cleveland Stadium. But now they're just stories.
If I lived in Atlanta, I'd be pissed.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Turner Field to be demolished

Postby Edible14 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm

They're moving to a better neighborhood, with better access to local highways. I've heard quite a few Atlanta residents claiming that this will be much better for their commute to games. Their lease is up, so they can do such a thing. No big loss, as I don't think Turner Field was at all special. There's the usual reasons for not liking cities funding these sorts of projects, but it's a good move by the team.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Atlanta's has crummy traffic in and out of the Ted..the fans deserve to spend hundreds of millions for a field with less traffic problems.... Maybe the Browns and the Braves can hook up for a "two for one" discount on spending millions of tax payer dollars for a better scoreboard.. to enhance the game day experience..RME...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:37 am

Some people are calling the move racist, or at the very least classist:

http://www.ibtimes.com/atlanta-braves-m ... on-1470814

It's not an entirely out there suggestion. The move does put the team closer to the predominantly white, higher-income areas of Atlanta/Cobb County. And with there being no bus service to that area (and with Cobb County voting to *deny* said public transport), it will at the very least discourage people from the more urban areas of Atlanta from going to games. Of course, if that's all true, it's probably not so much a race thing as a profit motivation thing. But the argument is out there, and there are people agreeing with it online.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 pm

The demographics show that most of those attending Braves games are from the suburbs... Heck even on of Atlanta's big high schools (Grady) does not even have their own baseball field for their team.... Getting in and out of Turner Field can be a chore....the transportation is not good down there.....if you make 1 wrong turn then you are in some very dangerous areas of town....add in the fact the East Cobb Baseball brings in between 200 and 1000 out of town baseball players on any given week to the area and that will increase once Perfect Game opens their fields in Emerson (just north of Cobb County).....I think the move will be a good move for the Braves......

I personally like Turner Field but hate getting there and getting home.....so I only make about 2-3 games a year.....
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors