RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1m
Sources: Yankees have made Masahiro Tanaka a top priority, and they are the team to beat in the bidding. The latest: http://yhoo.it/1beG6ak
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 pm

A.Zajac wrote:JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 11m
Chris Antonetti told us that their two biggest needs this off-season are: 1. Bullpen pieces 2. Complimentary bat

Hopefully this means he is confident we will be able to bring Kazmir back, because that 5th starter should be number one on this list.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:22 am

BrianM wrote:
Chris Antonetti told us that their two biggest needs this off-season are: 1. Bullpen pieces 2. Complimentary bat

Hopefully this means he is confident we will be able to bring Kazmir back, because that 5th starter should be number one on this list.

Not necessarily. I'd like it if we brought back Kazmir or someone of that ilk, but realistically we have a number of solid options internally. If we roll out of Spring Training with a rotation of Masterson, Kluber, Salazar, McAllister and Carrasco (with Bauer, Tomlin, Barnes, House and perhaps Packer and Adams as AAA options) I won't be too upset about it. I'm probably more concerned about closer than I am our #5 starter. Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign somebody for stability and depth, but I think I'm fine with waiting out free agency and then taking a few fliers on under-the-radar veterans like they did for Dice-K and Kazmir last year. I don't think we need to invest $8M or more in a 5th starter - $8M being likely about the most we could afford. But $8M doesn't get you a very good starter at all, it gets you the Brett Myers of the world. At that price point, you're better off grabbing a few guys for around $1M a piece and seeing if any of them can have a rebound season like what you just saw out of Kazmir.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby theshow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Edible14 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Not necessarily. I'd like it if we brought back Kazmir or someone of that ilk, but realistically we have a number of solid options internally. If we roll out of Spring Training with a rotation of Masterson, Kluber, Salazar, McAllister and Carrasco (with Bauer, Tomlin, Barnes, House and perhaps Packer and Adams as AAA options) I won't be too upset about it. I'm probably more concerned about closer than I am our #5 starter. Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to sign somebody for stability and depth, but I think I'm fine with waiting out free agency and then taking a few fliers on under-the-radar veterans like they did for Dice-K and Kazmir last year. I don't think we need to invest $8M or more in a 5th starter - $8M being likely about the most we could afford. But $8M doesn't get you a very good starter at all, it gets you the Brett Myers of the world. At that price point, you're better off grabbing a few guys for around $1M a piece and seeing if any of them can have a rebound season like what you just saw out of Kazmir.

Great Point about 8M not getting you far. That is why I feel very strongly about my coming point. Why didn't we offer Kazmir the Qualifying offer. I say about 75% he gets something else he takes instead, and if by the 25% chance he does take it, you have sured up 1/5 of your rotation with a left hander. In the open market in this day and age, Kazmir is about a 11-12 million a year player. What do we have to lose offering him 1 year and 14 mill
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Edible14 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

I also like the idea of bringing in a couple of non roster guys to compete like we did last year, but resigning Kazmir is not the same as signing a 5th starter. Essentially, your signing another #3 starter who actually has the upside of a number #1. Winning teams have major upside 1-5 in their rotation, and resigning Kazmir could give us a rotation that could at least challenge the best rotations in baseball.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:08 pm

From mlbtr

"The Blue Jays picked up Adam Lind's option, but don't be surprised if Toronto tries to move him."
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 am

Interesting discussion going on between the Rockies and their three fans and some of the St Louis Cardinal fans who post regularly... the gist of the conversation revolves around Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal suggestion that the Cardinals and Rockies trade:

Cards get Troy Tulowitzki and cash (undefined amount)
Rockies get Allen Craig, Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, and PTBNL

The Cards fan that commented suggested that the Cardinals pick up the entire salary for Tulo and replace Allen Craig and Trevor Rosenthal in the deal with Matt Adams and Tim Cooney.

Knowing how smart and unabashed Cardinal fans are, seeing a reduction in the return being almost negligent, I suggest that this change would amount to the Rockies giving up two ML All Stars for their backups. In other words, the Rockies would get the fecal covering on the termination of a wooden structure typically used as a canine toy...

We'll see what the response is to that.. but, the interesting point, from an Indians fan's perspective is the situation that could develop IF the original deal was to come to pass.. What if the Rockies do in fact trade Tulo, for the package suggested by Ken Rosenthal.. the loss of Tulo leaves a big hole on the left side of the infield.. Why don't the Rockies then "flip" Trevor Rosenthal to the Cleveland Indians for Asdrubal Cabrera and some cash... The Indians need a closer (and Rosenthal is at least a proven closer).. With the money the Rockies are sending to the Cardinals from the Tulo's trade, this can be paid for by the Indians for 2014. This will also give Trevor Story a chance to hone his skills as the future SS for the Rockies.

Rex Brothers can continue on as the Rockies' closer as he's done a very good job replacing old friend Raffy Right.

Thoughts?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:17 pm

The Indians aren't optimistic about their chances of re-signing Scott Kazmir this winter, writes Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The Tribe would be interested in a one-year deal for the left-hander but believe he's certain to have multi-year offers after resurrecting his career in Cleveland this past year, posting a 4.04 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

theshow wrote:Great Point about 8M not getting you far. That is why I feel very strongly about my coming point. Why didn't we offer Kazmir the Qualifying offer. I say about 75% he gets something else he takes instead, and if by the 25% chance he does take it, you have sured up 1/5 of your rotation with a left hander. In the open market in this day and age, Kazmir is about a 11-12 million a year player. What do we have to lose offering him 1 year and 14 mill

Odds were 100% that Kaz would have accepted a QO...

Going to be interesting to see what he ends up getting.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Rumors are the A's could look to deal Brett Anderson if they bring back Colon or another SP (or maybe even if they don't as they have 5 other capable starters).

Really struggled with injuries (and command this year) but very good stuff when on. Would be a gamble but guy I wouldn't mind the Indians checking into should Kazmir leave...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Rumors are the A's could look to deal Brett Anderson if they bring back Colon or another SP (or maybe even if they don't as they have 5 other capable starters).

Really struggled with injuries (and command this year) but very good stuff when on. Would be a gamble but guy I wouldn't mind the Indians checking into should Kazmir leave...

I like Anderson a lot, but him and Kazmir are basically the same player, except there is actually less risk with Kazmir cause he was healthy just about the entire season last year. I just don't get why they don't want to offer him 2 years. If they let him walk and then went after Anderson I would like the move, I just wouldn't understand why they wouldn't have gone after SK. Maybe they are expecting him to sign a much bigger offer than all these insiders are speculating. Maybe somewhere closer to 2/24 than the 2/16-18 that alot of people are projecting.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am

Hermie13 wrote:Rumors are the A's could look to deal Brett Anderson if they bring back Colon or another SP (or maybe even if they don't as they have 5 other capable starters).

Brett Anderson's injuries were all non-arm related, as well. He had a stress fracture in his foot and back spasms that kept him out of the A's rotation for most of the year. Bob Melvin used him in a relief role when he did get back, preferring to keep the A's starters where they were at.. pretty smart move by Melvin.. Brett Anderson's contract situation shouldn't scare off the Tribe. He'd cost the Tribe whatever the A's & Indians decide in trade plus $ 8 MM for 2014 and $ 12 MM for 2015. He'd be a free agent after the 2015 season..

The A's have a pretty decent team overall with closer being their only real hole. It may sound like pie in the sky, but the A's weren't exactly thrilled with the season Yoenis Cespedes had, especially @ $ 10.5 MM per ... A larger deal could be possible as the A's are always looking to upgrade their kiddie corp with talented, soon to be Major Leaguers, like Tyler Naquin..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Terry Francona was on 92.3 the fan a little while ago today, making me wonder if the Indians are in the market for another catcher.

@KeithBritton86: Francona: “We’ve told Carlos Santana, we told Gomes & Gomes will assume majority of catching duties. Gomer was the force behind the plate”

@KeithBritton86: So #Indians manager told @BullandFox Yan Gomes will be the everyday catcher next season moving Santana likely to 1B/DH
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Terry Francona was on 92.3 the fan a little while ago today, making me wonder if the Indians are in the market for another catcher.

@KeithBritton86: Francona: “We’ve told Carlos Santana, we told Gomes & Gomes will assume majority of catching duties. Gomer was the force behind the plate”

@KeithBritton86: So #Indians manager told @BullandFox Yan Gomes will be the everyday catcher next season moving Santana likely to 1B/DH

I've said this before, but wouldn't mind getting AJ Pierzinski. Can be the backup catcher but also DH. Gives you 3 catchers to DHing one is easy. Not the best defensively behind the plate but seems to handle pitchers well.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm

BrianM wrote:

I like Anderson a lot, but him and Kazmir are basically the same player, except there is actually less risk with Kazmir cause he was healthy just about the entire season last year. I just don't get why they don't want to offer him 2 years. If they let him walk and then went after Anderson I would like the move, I just wouldn't understand why they wouldn't have gone after SK. Maybe they are expecting him to sign a much bigger offer than all these insiders are speculating. Maybe somewhere closer to 2/24 than the 2/16-18 that alot of people are projecting.

Yes, I was bringing up Anderson in the event Kazmir walks. Anderson has a 1year deal basically worth $9.5M ($8M in 2014, option for 2015 with $1.5M buyout). Pricey but probably what the Tribe was willing to give Kaz. I'd prefer Kaz but if he leaves, wouldn't mind taking a look at Anderson. Again, wouldn't be my top target but someone to monitor IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Yes, I was bringing up Anderson in the event Kazmir walks. Anderson has a 1year deal basically worth $9.5M ($8M in 2014, option for 2015 with $1.5M buyout). Pricey but probably what the Tribe was willing to give Kaz. I'd prefer Kaz but if he leaves, wouldn't mind taking a look at Anderson. Again, wouldn't be my top target but someone to monitor IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I wonder what Billy B would want for him.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Steve Adams had this to say:

...Jhonny Peralta is looking for "huge" money, according to Olney's sources. Olney writes that Peralta is seeking "much" more than three years and $45MM....

Asdrubal's $ 10 MM for 2014 is starting to look really good right now...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:59 pm

I have been holding the notion for a while now that Asdrubal's contract would have some real appeal to a contender ( even to use at 2B), but looking at the Drew and Peralta potential contracts, I am even more hopeful.

AJP as a back up/part timer would be a nice addition. He is a player I have truly disliked, but I would grit my teeth, for the good of the team! :cool

L
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I am a little disappointed that the Tribe would (apparently) be unwilling to offer Kaz a 2 year deal in the 18m range. Does this show a lack of faith in his health, or just them being frugal? Still seems like a pretty decent ( risk/reward) free agent buy at those numbers...if he gets a 3 year deal, I could better understand their reluctance.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 pm

El Em wrote:I am a little disappointed that the Tribe would (apparently) be unwilling to offer Kaz a 2 year deal in the 18m range. Does this show a lack of faith in his health, or just them being frugal? Still seems like a pretty decent ( risk/reward) free agent buy at those numbers...if he gets a 3 year deal, I could better understand their reluctance.

As of this evening.. there only seems to be tacit interest from several clubs for the services of Scott Kazmir (SK). There have been no dollar values stated/whispered/etc other than the projected value/contract length by MLB Trade Rumors (2 years $ 16MM). It's clear that no one seems to be shy when it comes to asking for a big number... Best guess at this point in time, SK will not sign with anyone until the winter meetings.. The ground work with many other teams may be laid, however, SK has the integrity to give the Indians a "..psuedo right of first refusal.." before taking the plunge for 2014 and beyond. Hopefully a two year plus vesting type deal can be worked out.. we shall see..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 pm

In regards to Kazmir,

I just have this feeling that things have been quiet with him because he is every teams 'secret target'. I know about the health concerns, but if you are rationally comparing him to the other FA pitchers on the market and consider his upside, age, left handedness, recent performance, and rumored price tag, what team would not be in on him? If 15 teams are in on Tim Hudson a 38 YO Tim Hudson coming off an injury, than 20 teams are in on Kazmir who is rumored to have a lower price tag. If there are 10 teams willing to give SK that 2/16 deal, then you can basically guarantee that one of them will push it to 3 years and maybe 10 mil a year. I'm hoping Cleveland believes this too and is the reason why we are already looking for back up plans. I can see 3/30 being to steep, but 2/16? Give me a break.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 am

BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I wonder what Billy B would want for him.

I wonder if an Asdrubal for Anderson deal couldn't work. Money wise it matches up. A's could use Asdrubal at 2B or move Lowrie (as has been rumord) and use Asdrubal as a stopgap to Addison Russell at SS. Beane and the A's were reportedly interested in and liked Asdrubal a few years ago when Dan Haren was on the block. Not sure how much, if any, interest there'd be now just an idea to throw out there.

Maybe also try to see if you couldn't get Alberto Callaspo, who may be expendable in Oakland now. Decent infield option that could possibly platoon with Chiz at 3B.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:38 am

BrianM wrote:In regards to Kazmir,

I just have this feeling that things have been quiet with him because he is every teams 'secret target'. I know about the health concerns, but if you are rationally comparing him to the other FA pitchers on the market and consider his upside, age, left handedness, recent performance, and rumored price tag, what team would not be in on him? If 15 teams are in on Tim Hudson a 38 YO Tim Hudson coming off an injury, than 20 teams are in on Kazmir who is rumored to have a lower price tag. If there are 10 teams willing to give SK that 2/16 deal, then you can basically guarantee that one of them will push it to 3 years and maybe 10 mil a year. I'm hoping Cleveland believes this too and is the reason why we are already looking for back up plans. I can see 3/30 being to steep, but 2/16? Give me a break.

With the new national tv contracts kicking in.. everyone except the Cubs and their woe-begone-non-revenue generating stadium are ready to spend some money. Interestingly.. that would be a good place for SK to land, but, you're right.. 10 or 20 teams have to be kicking the tires on SK.. Here's hoping it's more that just time & money that motivates him.. doubtful.. but, still, possible..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/b ... hnson.html

"The Blue Jays announced that they've signed first baseman Dan Johnson to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training."

I find this significant because of the earlier rumor that the Jays may look to move Adam Lind. Lind is set to make 7 million in 2014 and the Jays are reportedly looking to shed some payroll to help in their efforts to sign a couple free agents.

I don't think Lind is an option in the outfield anymore, and his defense at first doesn't appear great according to the advanced stats, but he would the PERFECT left handed power bat to compliment our current lineup. He stayed healthy enough to play 143 games last year and had a slash of .288/.357/.497 with 23 HR and 67 RBI. Against RHP that slash line moved to .309/.385/.539. A lineup that looks like this against RHP would make me pretty excited...

1. Kipnis 2B
2. Swisher RF
3. Brantley LF
4. Santana 1B
5. Lind DH
6. Asdrubal SS
7. Chiz 3B
8. Gomes C
9. Bourn CF

Raburn/Stubbs could be swapped with Gomes with Santana Moving to C and Swisher moving to 1st.

Lind has 2 team options for 2015 (7.5 Mil) and 2016 (8 Mil). If he could be had for a RP like CC Lee and a prospect like Naquin, I would be all over it. I have no idea what the Jays would be looking for in return though. I believe they mentioned that they want pieces that could help them now in any potential trades they make, and they are rumored to be looking for starting pitching and a catcher in the FA market.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:50 pm

BrianM wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/blue-jays-sign-dan-johnson.html

"The Blue Jays announced that they've signed first baseman Dan Johnson to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training."

I find this significant because of the earlier rumor that the Jays may look to move Adam Lind. Lind is set to make 7 million in 2014 and the Jays are reportedly looking to shed some payroll to help in their efforts to sign a couple free agents.

I don't think Lind is an option in the outfield anymore, and his defense at first doesn't appear great according to the advanced stats, but he would the PERFECT left handed power bat to compliment our current lineup. He stayed healthy enough to play 143 games last year and had a slash of .288/.357/.497 with 23 HR and 67 RBI. Against RHP that slash line moved to .309/.385/.539. A lineup that looks like this against RHP would make me pretty excited...

1. Kipnis 2B
2. Swisher RF
3. Brantley LF
4. Santana 1B
5. Lind DH
6. Asdrubal SS
7. Chiz 3B
8. Gomes C
9. Bourn CF

Raburn/Stubbs could be swapped with Gomes with Santana Moving to C and Swisher moving to 1st.

Lind has 2 team options for 2015 (7.5 Mil) and 2016 (8 Mil). If he could be had for a RP like CC Lee and a prospect like Naquin, I would be all over it. I have no idea what the Jays would be looking for in return though. I believe they mentioned that they want pieces that could help them now in any potential trades they make, and they are rumored to be looking for starting pitching and a catcher in the FA market.

The Jays want a couple of things..

1. Yan Gomes back..
2. JP Arencibia GONE.. VAMOOOOSE'd.. ADIOS'd.. Persona Non-Grata in Canada.. in his place a REAL Catcher
3. SP(s)

Probably in that order..Their boards are also talking about salary relief.. being creative with the cost of acquisitions..etc.. TBH.. Adding Lind in the role of a LH bat should work very well for the Indians..He can provide some coverage as a DH/1B & would be okay there defensively. It's been a while since he's played the OF.. so I doubt he could be used there. The other guys within the Jays system that I think have a chance to become pretty good players and of interest to the Indians include Sean Nolin, DJ Davis and, of course Aaron Sanchez (who would be extremely expensive to obtain). A decent match for a trade.. Perhaps CA can see if lightening strikes the same spot twice...?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:07 am

BrianM wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/blue-jays-sign-dan-johnson.html

1. Kipnis 2B
2. Swisher RF
3. Brantley LF
4. Santana 1B
5. Lind DH
6. Asdrubal SS
7. Chiz 3B
8. Gomes C
9. Bourn CF

I wouldn't mind Adam Lind but wouldn't give up much for him. Only 1 year left and was below average 2010-2012. Did kill righties last year though and was great away from the Rogers Centre. Would definitely look elsewhere first but a guy to keep an eye on.

No way do I deal Naquin and Lee though. That's way to much IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby go_tribe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I think the Tribe needs to make one impact signing this offseason, along with some other creative trades. I like the idea of getting Lind, but agree that giving up even Naquin is to much.

If CA brings in Bartolo Colon to replace Ubaldo, that will be the best signing all year I think. Colon gives us another #1 starter, at worst a good #2. Could we really count on the U to be that guy if we brought him back? I dont...
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:02 pm

According to Buster Olney, the Indians have been approached by multiple teams about possible deals for Stubbs.

Like what Stubbs can bring off the bench but if Santana ends up at 1B and Swisher in the OF, or someone is brought in for one of those spots, Stubbs becomes a 5th OFer and is very expendable. Still wonder if Stubbs for Joyce couldn't work with Joyce forming a platoon with Raburn and Stubbs with DeJesus in TB...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Hermie13 wrote:According to Buster Olney, the Indians have been approached by multiple teams about possible deals for Stubbs.

Like what Stubbs can bring off the bench but if Santana ends up at 1B and Swisher in the OF, or someone is brought in for one of those spots, Stubbs becomes a 5th OFer and is very expendable. Still wonder if Stubbs for Joyce couldn't work with Joyce forming a platoon with Raburn and Stubbs with DeJesus in TB...

Stubbs is a superior defensive player and a fine outfielder.. The reason the Indians have been approached is because Stubbs is due a significant raise in arbitration and other teams smell blood.. BTW. Swisher should play the OF as much as hermie should be a GM... even when it hurts..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm

LaTroy Hawkins signed with the Rockies today. Per Bob Nightengale, the Indians had interest.

@BNightengale: LaTroy Hawkins will receive 2.25 million in 2O13 with a 25O,OOO buyout or 2.25 million option in 2014 w #Rockies

@BNightengale: The #Rockies beat out the #Mets, #Braves and #Indians for Hawkins, who will undergo Physical Thursday
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 am

Hudson to SF for 2 yrs/23 mil
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 am

A.Zajac wrote:Hudson to SF for 2 yrs/23 mil

Bit surprised he got 2 years...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Hudson to SF for 2 yrs/23 mil

Bit surprised he got 2 years...

Its surprising, but then again, not really. If there is 15 teams actually looking to sign a guy, there is bound to be at least one of them who will be willing to add that extra year to reel him in. I'm thinking Kazmir could be in a similar situation and ending up getting three years.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

The bump that Michael Bourn ($7MM to $13.5MM) and Nick Swisher ($11MM to $15MM) get in salary increases this year hurts the Indians chances on some of these bigger names.

Two guys that interest me as cheaper alternatives are Scott Baker and Phil Hughes. Even Scott Kazmir doesn't project as being that expensive, but you'd be 'buying high' on Kazmir given that he mad a bit of an unpredictably good season last year.

Baker has said he wants to go back to the Cubs, but could be a good value. Phil Hughes is still young and his arm is still good -- velocity is still there, he can spin nice breaking balls and his change-up is good, too. His performance was a little rough last year (why he'd be a value), but he's proven he can be a solid 3-4 starter (2010 and 2012). He's 28, throws 90 to 94 with good off-speed stuff and he's a proven strike-thrower. I'm sure there will be demand for him, but his contract should be reasonable. I'd be more comfortable with Hughes on 2 years for $16MM than Scott Kazmir.

Now I know the track record of these guys isn't good, but the Indians are losing Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir off their rotation -- that's about +4 to +5 WAR you've got to replace in 2 guys. There's a void there and no guarantee that Masterson, Kluber, McAllister, Salazar are going to be healthy next year.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:10 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:The bump that Michael Bourn ($7MM to $13.5MM) and Nick Swisher ($11MM to $15MM) get in salary increases this year hurts the Indians chances on some of these bigger names.

Two guys that interest me as cheaper alternatives are Scott Baker and Phil Hughes. Even Scott Kazmir doesn't project as being that expensive, but you'd be 'buying high' on Kazmir given that he mad a bit of an unpredictably good season last year.

Baker has said he wants to go back to the Cubs, but could be a good value. Phil Hughes is still young and his arm is still good -- velocity is still there, he can spin nice breaking balls and his change-up is good, too. His performance was a little rough last year (why he'd be a value), but he's proven he can be a solid 3-4 starter (2010 and 2012). He's 28, throws 90 to 94 with good off-speed stuff and he's a proven strike-thrower. I'm sure there will be demand for him, but his contract should be reasonable. I'd be more comfortable with Hughes on 2 years for $16MM than Scott Kazmir.

Now I know the track record of these guys isn't good, but the Indians are losing Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir off their rotation -- that's about +4 to +5 WAR you've got to replace in 2 guys. There's a void there and no guarantee that Masterson, Kluber, McAllister, Salazar are going to be healthy next year.

Hughes is a guy I hope the Tribe looks at as well. His numbers away from Yankee Stadium were pretty solid. Part of me wonders if he almost wouldn't prefer a 1 year deal to try and regain value by pitching away from Yankee Stadium. Could be in line for a bigger deal in 2015 then, similar to what Edwin Jackson did.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

Josh Johnson to SD - 1 yr/$8 mil
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 am

A.Zajac wrote:Josh Johnson to SD - 1 yr/$8 mil

Great deal for the Padres.. if Josh Johnson is healthy, the Padres will be boasting a Comeback Player of the Year candidate...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Hearing Javier Lopez to SF - 3 years .. haven't heard a financial figure yet
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 pm

So the Indians add Aguilar, Moncrief and Adams as expected. They also add Erik Gonzalez and Bryan Price, who were less expected. Notables not being added: Soto, Packer, and Holt.

I don't understand adding Gonzalez at all. He hasn't made it past high-A and is the 5th-best SS prospect in the Indians system if you include R-Rod and Ramirez as potential shortstops. It seems like there was close to zero chance he would have been taken, and that the Indians were well stocked enough at the position that it wouldn't have been a big loss anyway (they could have just put Hendrix right in his spot).

Cord Phelps DFA'd, no surprise. I think he ends up claimed, but it wouldn't be surprising if he doesn't. No big loss either way.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Per Jon Heyman and others on The Twitter

Detroit and Texas agree to trade Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler

@JonHeymanCBS: Fielder for Kinsler trade has been agreed to. http://t.co/9D3YUw36G5
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Diamondbacks have DFA'd Tony Sipp again. I doubt if anybody would pick him up at this time. But I would be very happy to have the Indians pick him up on a minor league contract. Always been a fan.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Diamondbacks have DFA'd Tony Sipp again. I doubt if anybody would pick him up at this time. But I would be very happy to have the Indians pick him up on a minor league contract. Always been a fan.

I would definitely put Sipp on the "plan b" list. I would love to see him get a minor league deal, looking at our current LHRP options he fits right in.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Per Jon Heyman and others on The Twitter

Detroit and Texas agree to trade Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler

@JonHeymanCBS: Fielder for Kinsler trade has been agreed to. http://t.co/9D3YUw36G5

Big trade there (no pun intended).
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am

Makes sense for both parties in the short-term. Kinsler and Prince are both on the downside of their career, and likely will continue to slide that direction (historically, 2B do not age very well). Both teams get to clear up a log jam, improve their infield defense and move out one of their more mediocre players this year. The trade gives Texas a bigger bat, better defense at 2B via Profar, and Mitch Moreland out of the lineup. The Tigers get to reshuffle their infield, even if they just go with Castellanos they'll be better at every single infield position defensively from one year ago.

Long term, even after the cash considerations the Rangers are taking on $76M in payroll increases. They'll be on the hook for paying Prince $24M in 2019 and 2020. Which likely won't be pretty. They may have the money to eat that sort of contract, but it's a rather sad state for them. They've so many good 1B/DH come and go through that org - Hafner, Adrian Gonzales, Texiera, Chris Davis and maybe even Smoak will turn things around. So many missed opportunities there.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:47 am

I'm no fan of the Tigers getting better, but.. This is a good baseball trade.. the Tigers have taken their biggest holes (2B, Closer, & Max Scherzer's pending free agency) and a very poor contract and created strengths while ridding themselves of ($ 168 MM - $ 92 MM) $ 76 MM in commitments... that they can now use to extend Max Scherzer and sign Nathan

BRILLIANT.. simply BRILLIANT.. Dave Dombrowski is getting value for value..

Fielder's spot can be adequately handled from within by the Tigers..moving Miggy and letting natural 3B Castellanos resume his career as a 3B.. Use VMart at 1B from time to time.. The Tigers will now sign Nathan to anchor their pen and end up with a net zero increase after the 2014 season with Scherzer signed long term.. This is a GREAT deal as both teams win.. the Tigers gain flexibility while filling their three biggest holes.. The Rangers get a middle of the order left handed power stick to play 1B...

Good deal all around...not good for the Tribe...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 am

Hoping to see the Indians try and do something similar to what the Tigers did and deal Bourn and his money to fill other holes.

Solid move by the Tigers. Nothing I'm that worried about as don't feel it makes them that much (if any) better overall but definitely fills a hole for them at 2B. Their payroll issue was getting out of control even for them and this trade definitely helps there. Still will be tough for them to add much but could still move Porcello or Fister.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 pm

According to Jim Bowden on the Twitter the Angles are interested in Joe Smith.

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Angels continuing their pursuit of free agent starter Jason Vargas and free agent reliever Joe Smith as pitching remains their priority

What's amazing is I've actually seen Angles fans complaining about Smith.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:50 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:I'm no fan of the Tigers getting better, but.. This is a good baseball trade.. the Tigers have taken their biggest holes (2B, Closer, & Max Scherzer's pending free agency) and a very poor contract and created strengths while ridding themselves of ($ 168 MM - $ 92 MM) $ 76 MM in commitments... that they can now use to extend Max Scherzer and sign Nathan

BRILLIANT.. simply BRILLIANT.. Dave Dombrowski is getting value for value..

Fielder's spot can be adequately handled from within by the Tigers..moving Miggy and letting natural 3B Castellanos resume his career as a 3B.. Use VMart at 1B from time to time.. The Tigers will now sign Nathan to anchor their pen and end up with a net zero increase after the 2014 season with Scherzer signed long term.. This is a GREAT deal as both teams win.. the Tigers gain flexibility while filling their three biggest holes.. The Rangers get a middle of the order left handed power stick to play 1B...

Good deal all around...not good for the Tribe...

I think it is a good move for the Tigers, from a financial perspective alone, but do wonder about the Kinsler range in the field as well as production with the bat, maybe even as soon as this year. He has begun to decline, and middle infielders at his age do not typically reverse course. Will the Tigers be a better team 2014 as a result? I' m not convinced it is an absolute "yes"...I guess we wait and see how they spend the savings, and of course, how the revamped team actually performs.
Still, a good opportunity/deal for the Tigers....I'll wait and see on brilliant.

I do think the Rangers may also benefit from this in the next 2-3 years...Perhaps even more than the Tigers in the short term. So much of this revolves around money, and I honestly do not know where each of these team's financial threshholds lie. It will be interesting to watch.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:14 pm

El Em wrote:I think it is a good move for the Tigers, from a financial perspective alone, but do wonder about the Kinsler range in the field as well as production with the bat, maybe even as soon as this year. He has begun to decline, and middle infielders at his age do not typically reverse course. Will the Tigers be a better team 2014 as a result? I' m not convinced it is an absolute "yes"...I guess we wait and see how they spend the savings, and of course, how the revamped team actually performs.
Still, a good opportunity/deal for the Tigers....I'll wait and see on brilliant.

I do think the Rangers may also benefit from this in the next 2-3 years...Perhaps even more than the Tigers in the short term. So much of this revolves around money, and I honestly do not know where each of these team's financial threshholds lie. It will be interesting to watch.

Tigers save $7M in 2014 by this deal (Fielder was to make $23M, Kinsler will get $16M). That puts their current projected 2014 payroll at....$148M, or the exact same as what it was in 2013...when it was $15M higher than any other year in team history.

I'm not so sure the Tigers have much payroll savings when you get down to it. I'm sure they can increase from what they were in 2013 but I don't think it'll be as much as some think. May have to deal Porcello or Fister to really add much still.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Jason Vargas just got 4 years, $32M from the Royals.

Money isn't bad but surprised with how many years he got. Had some injury issues and not a strikeout guy. 3 years for Kazmir wouldn't surprise me anymore.

Also, Javier Lopez is getting 3 years and $13M from the Giants.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors