Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

MLB Awards

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

MLB Awards

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 am

Just a week to go in the regular season, figure one can start talking about the MLB regular season awards. Who you got for them? Week left so can change them with how the season finishes.

If the season ended right now, personally have:

AL MVP: Josh Donaldson, OAK
AL Cy Young: Max Scherzer, DET
AL ROY: Chris Archer, TB
AL MOY: John Farrell, BOS
AL Comeback: Ubaldo Jimenez, CLE

NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen, PIT
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw, LAD
NL ROY: Jose Fernandez, MIA
NL MOY: Clint Hurdle, PIT
NL Combeback: Fransisco Liriano, PIT

I had Chris Davis as my MVP heading into September but he's really struggled and the O's are falling off the pace. I know Trout has the best WAR (by a good margin) but I do not believe a guy on a bad team should win the MVP. Sure Trout is worth about 10 wins....so he's the difference between the Angels finishing 3rd vs 4th. Big whoop. Miguel Cabrera has been amazing again. I go Donaldson over him for a couple reasons. 1) he's been better in terms of WAR, and 2) the Tigers have arguably 4 of the 10 best starting pitchers in the AL this year (Scherzer, Sanchez, Verlander, and Fister rank in the top 7 in fWAR). Cabrera has been huge for the Tigers but he's gotten way more help than Donaldson has. Not that the A's pitching is garbage, but the Tigers have the better rotation. Donaldson probably won't win but IMO he should right now. His 8 wins is the difference between winning the division and being tied (basically) with the Rangers and possibly missing out on the playoffs.

I have Max Scherzer as the Cy Young winner...not because of the wins, but because he's been great all around. Leads the league in fWAR among pitchers, WHIP under 1, ERA of 3, K-rate of nearly 10 per 9. Just a great year.

AL Rookie of the Year is IMO the toughest award to pick right now for me. Wil Myers is getting all the love but he barely has 300 plate appearances. Chris Archer and Dan Straily both are more deserving IMO as they've logged more time. Archer has a big game tonight. Straily is the only rookie pitcher who may top 150 innings. He's my #2 right now. This award could change in the next week for me.

AL Manager of the Year....I'm torn between Farrell and Francona. Would love to see Francona win it but going last to 1st...I'm giving the nod to Farrell. Tough division and Boston just came and took it. Melvin in Oakland has been great too but Oakland being a playoff team last year doesn't get quite the boost for me.

AL Comeback...I'm sure it'll go to Mariano Rivera. Won the All-Star MVP simply by name/last season. He doesn't deserve it IMO..not even top 3. Ubaldo doessn't have the greatest WHIP but man he's just been getting it done. ERA is now down to 3.39, tops on the team. Maybe I'm a homer but think this is his award. Ervin Santana and Masterson should get some love too, and probably Victor Martinez (though not a huge fan of guys coming off injury winning this award).

McCutchen has been the best player on the Pirates...a playoff team with their first winning season in 20 years. There's really no one else that jumps out, I don't see how he loses this award.

Cy Young...Kershaw...no explanation needed. Will get MVP votes too.

Puig will get lots of love for the ROY but Fernandez has been up longer and just flat out dominated. IMO should win this award unanimously (but won't).

Again, Pirates haven't had a winning season in 20 years...and they make the playoffs. Mattingly did a good job out in LA but with the talent he had, he should be winning. Pirates weren't picked higher than 3rd by many people (and many had them lower than that). Hurdle should win this easily IMO.

Liriano was arguably worse than Ubaldo last year...and has been better this year. Another no-brainer IMO.

Who do you got?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: MLB Awards

Postby BrianM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Al
MVP - Miggy
CY - Scherzer
ROY - Myers
Manager - Bob Melvin
Comeback - Scotty Kazmir

Nl
MVP - McCutchen
CY - Kershaw
ROY - Fernandez
Manager - Hurdle
Comeback - Liriano

Nl MVP is kind of a lame duck this year. McCutchen has been solid all year long and that lineup is very Meh without him.

Puig had a special season that helped the Dodgers turn their season around, but Fernandez absolutely dominated some of the best teams in baseball near the end of the season. Most rookies see some regression in the 2nd half, he saw progression.

Very impressed with Farrell and the Red Sox, especially the pitching staff, but I don't consider this year to be the turnaround that it appears to be. They sold off a lot of their payroll last year, but they never should have finished with the terrible record that they did. They spent a lot of money wisely during the offseason, but also had a lot of talent already in place. Melvin and the A's once again exceeded expectations in spite of a season of regression from Cespedes and a significant injury to the ace of their staff at the very beginning of the year. It could really go either way though.

I did see the other day that Donaldson actually had a better WAR than Miggy, but even with the fantastic pitching, I just don't know where the Tigers are without him in the middle of that lineup.

Liriano is an obvious choice.

I pick Kazmir over Ubaldo considering how much further he has actually come. Ubaldo was a disappointing Major League player. Kazmir was not a Major League player at all.

I went with Hurdle because I don't see a better option. Maybe Mattingly. Hurdle failed to finish the previous two seasons strong, and I have heard his pitching coach is among the very best in baseball. Despite this, he does seem like a worthy selection.

*Edited to add my thoughts on Myers. Tampa's Offense started the season performing very well, which is why we didn't see Myers until later in the year, but they were really struggling prior to his call up and he played a major part in their resurgence. Tampa will be a very feared team in the playoffs if they advance. Hopefully we can prevent that.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:02 pm

BrianM wrote:Al
MVP - Miggy
CY - Scherzer
ROY - Myers
Manager - Bob Melvin
Comeback - Scotty Kazmir

Nl
MVP - McCutchen
CY - Kershaw
ROY - Fernandez
Manager - Hurdle
Comeback - Liriano

Nl MVP is kind of a lame duck this year. McCutchen has been solid all year long and that lineup is very Meh without him.

Puig had a special season that helped the Dodgers turn their season around, but Fernandez absolutely dominated some of the best teams in baseball near the end of the season. Most rookies see some regression in the 2nd half, he saw progression.

Very impressed with Farrell and the Red Sox, especially the pitching staff, but I don't consider this year to be the turnaround that it appears to be. They sold off a lot of their payroll last year, but they never should have finished with the terrible record that they did. They spent a lot of money wisely during the offseason, but also had a lot of talent already in place. Melvin and the A's once again exceeded expectations in spite of a season of regression from Cespedes and a significant injury to the ace of their staff at the very beginning of the year. It could really go either way though.

I did see the other day that Donaldson actually had a better WAR than Miggy, but even with the fantastic pitching, I just don't know where the Tigers are without him in the middle of that lineup.

Liriano is an obvious choice.

I pick Kazmir over Ubaldo considering how much further he has actually come. Ubaldo was a disappointing Major League player. Kazmir was not a Major League player at all.

I went with Hurdle because I don't see a better option. Maybe Mattingly. Hurdle failed to finish the previous two seasons strong, and I have heard his pitching coach is among the very best in baseball. Despite this, he does seem like a worthy selection.

*Edited to add my thoughts on Myers. Tampa's Offense started the season performing very well, which is why we didn't see Myers until later in the year, but they were really struggling prior to his call up and he played a major part in their resurgence. Tampa will be a very feared team in the playoffs if they advance. Hopefully we can prevent that.

Good call on Kaz. I know we're all homers here...but I don't think it's that crazy to say the top 3 "comeback" guys in the AL could all be on Cleveland with Kaz, Ubaldo, and Masterson. Still say Mariano Rivera is gonna win it but agree that Kaz is VERY deserving.

Everyone has their own take on these awards, so don't take this the wrong way...but I really don't get the whole "team" concept in regards to ROY. It's not a Rookie MVP award, it's simply Rookie of the Year, as in best rookie. I feel too many people have turned it into a mini-MVP award. Again, there's no set guidelines so if you want to take into account how the team has played that's fine, but personally think how a team does in regards to ROY should be meaningless. Plus if you really want to go value/WAR....Archer has the best rWAR (by a good margin) among the AL rookies who will be given consideration for the award (Lough and Franklin are basically all defense, don't see them getting more than a token vote each). Then again, Myers has the best fWAR (tied with Lough). Will be interesting to see how the two TB guys split votes...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

MVP: Trout. It should have been him last year, but people focus on offense and virtually ignore defense and baserunning. The guy has put up another 10+ WAR season, after this season he will (barring a cold snap) own two of the top 50 seasons ever played. I don't know if the voters will go that way, but they *should*.

Cy: Scherzer. 20+ wins means he'll get the non-stats guy votes, but he's also a top guy from the advanced stats crowd (3rd FIP, 5th xFIP, 1st in WAR). Anibal Sanchez and Felix Hernandez do have marginally better FIP/xFIP numbers, but given that Sanchez has a few less starts, I can really only see people putting in votes for Felix. But it shouldn't be enough.

ROY - Myers

Manager - Am I the only one that thinks Tito will get some serious play here? But I think it'll end up being Farrell, considering that club's turnaround.

Comeback - Kazmir
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Edible14 wrote:MVP: Trout. It should have been him last year, but people focus on offense and virtually ignore defense and baserunning. The guy has put up another 10+ WAR season, after this season he will (barring a cold snap) own two of the top 50 seasons ever played. I don't know if the voters will go that way, but they *should*.

Cy: Scherzer. 20+ wins means he'll get the non-stats guy votes, but he's also a top guy from the advanced stats crowd (3rd FIP, 5th xFIP, 1st in WAR). Anibal Sanchez and Felix Hernandez do have marginally better FIP/xFIP numbers, but given that Sanchez has a few less starts, I can really only see people putting in votes for Felix. But it shouldn't be enough.

ROY - Myers

Manager - Am I the only one that thinks Tito will get some serious play here? But I think it'll end up being Farrell, considering that club's turnaround.

Comeback - Kazmir

I think Francona will get serious consideration for MOY. I just think Farrell being in Boston will win it. Also think he is worthy of it, though if the Tribe does make the playoffs...that could be enough to get Francona the award.

Fair point on Trout...I just still don't see how a guy on a 3rd place, not even close to playoff team is the most "valuable" guy in the league. Worth 10 wins...Angels may finish more than 10 games up on the Mariners. Therefore Trout may not have even made the difference between 3rd and 4th place for the Angels.

I thought Trout should have won last year as the Angels were right there in the playoff race til the end (better record than the Tigers actually). This year though...don't think he deserves a single vote. Though I expect him to finish 2nd to Miggy (again).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

Now that the season is over I'm editing my picks slightly. Also including who I think will win.

AL MVP: Josh Donaldson (Miggy wins it though)
AL CY Young: Max Scherzer (he wins it too)
AL ROY: Chris Archer (Wil Myers wins it though)
AL MOY: Tito Francona (John Farrell wins it though)
AL Comeback: Ubaldo Jimenez (Mariano Rivera wins it though)

NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen (he wins it)
NL CY Young: Clayton Kershaw (he wins it)
NL ROY: Jose Fernandez (he wins it)
NL MOY: Clint Hurdle (he wins it)
NL Comeback: Francisco Lirirano (he wins it)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors