Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

BA international signing

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

BA international signing

Postby jellis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 pm

here's the Indians section in the Al central review

Cleveland Indians

Six-figure signings: C Alex Monsalve, Venezuela, 16; Jose Ozoria, Dominican Republic, 16; INF Giovanny Urshella, Colombia, 16;

Top Bonus: Monsalve, $715,000

Summary: The Indians reshuffled their front office in the offseason, promoting Brad Grant from assistant scouting director to director of amateur scouting. Grant assumed the responsibilities of handling the amateur draft from John Mirabelli, who was put in charge of coordinating the team's international scouting efforts. Mirabelli intimated in January that the market for talent in the Dominican Republic was beginning to become oversaturated, so it wasn't a huge surprise that the Indians mined for talent in Venezuela, Colombia and the Far East this year.

Monsalve played shortstop and third base as an amateur, but he will move behind the plate as a professional. Monsalve has a medium frame at 6-foot-2 with room to fill out. He will need time to develop his defensive skills, but it's his potential with the bat that stands out the most. Monsalve is the second high-profile catcher the Indians signed from Venezuela this year, having already given 18-year-old Rolando Petit $295,000 in March.

The Indians weren't completely out of the Dominican, as they landed one of the better shortstop prospects available by signing Jose Ozoria for $575,000. Ozoria has a good swing with good bat-to-ball skills. He has good hands at shortstop and quick lateral movement. Urshella has gap power and clean hands and projects as a third baseman. The Indians had agreed to terms with 6-foot-2 Dominican righthander Edward Pinales, an athletic righthander with a mid- to high-80s fastball, but Major League Baseball suspended Pinales for using a false identity.

The Indians also 18-year-old Dominican lefthander Harold Guerrero in January for a low six-figure bonus. And in late September, the Indians made a splash in Taiwan by signing Chen-Chang Lee. The 21-year-old righthander signed for $400,000, the largest bonus this year for a player from Taiwan.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: BA international signing

Postby dnosco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Look at the stats this year and two of the impressive guys from last year's signing period are the higher bonus guys Araujo and Munoz which is a good sign for the bonuses paid to those guys. Not so much for Lee after the disappointment Tseng is turning out to be and that the catcher Chen is certainly, up to this point, on a fast development path (although he may still catch a wave). As I said last year in my interview with Lino Diaz, talent is getting overpriced and the island is getting picked clean of talent. I see that talent drying up in the future. If I was the Indians I would rent a big boat and park it off the edge of Cuba. That is the only place where there is a wealth of talent that still exists that is accessible for a reasonable price in Latin America.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk